Archived Reverse The Tax Change

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Reaction score
I think its time to call it. This has been a failed experiment.

Not only are some larger factions not able to keep all of their builds, I have actually heard a bunch of people cancel their premium subscription because this has been a... final straw if you will. Not to mention the people who have just quit outright.

Please give your feedback below.

Tagging.. @Game @MonMarty

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The concept that factions are far to expensive is silly. Consider the following:
  • My faction's private dark room is 25r per day.
  • My total faction tax DR + Main faction is a total of 95r per day
  • Today during double drops, I netted about 700r in it.
  • About 4 other members decided to participate in dark rooming during double drops.
The bottom line is that through cooperation with my faction we were able to net thousands of regals in a single day. We have numerous active members who gladly pay a relatively small tax to support the faction lands and the many benefits it provides.

When our faction just started, and it was just @EmpressEvie and I, we had an efficient base (about 10 chunks) that we used to get ourselves started into what we are today. The fact is that through teamwork and solid gameplay, even the current tax amount is not that much really.

Whether your factions is large or small, practice teamwork, have fun, and intentionally include others. You will find that after long, you won't even notice the tax.

I honestly believe that if Job Island were released prior to the faction changes then perhaps this thread wouldnt have been made, and fewer people would be upset. But since a lot that is being said is basically, "just wait for job island it will be great"... its hard to visualize the changes beforehand.

I have to agree with this. While there have been a few small statistics shared, such as "12or for around 10 minutes of constant questing," in the end the job island isn't here yet. Seeing a snapshot idea of the amount of money you will eventually make doesn't help with the current issues some factions face.

Note the tax hike doesn't affect me with my tiny island faction. But I digress.

John the Pious' daily money of 100r should be able to cover you 5 days with the 10 chunk thing @Zacatero mentioned. Which means you can collect 400r, in the other 4 days, for the next 20 days. I don't see the problem. Take out some time in your day to grab the 100r and solve your own problems.

For larger factions, here:

You have a 50 chunk piece of land. It would cost you 100r a day. Every day, you can go to John the Pious and collect 100r for that day. Simple. Literally taking out 20-30 seconds of your day.

Evidently rich people being rich is good. It means I (as a person with a skill that is in demand and the motivation and effort to work said skill into value) have a customer base that can net me 51,000 regals for 10 hours of work. But I'm sort of indicating that making the poor poorer is bad for the server as a whole because it means less purchasing power for the people who are more likely to actually buy resources which rich people tend to sell, therefor also making rich people have less profit.

This would make sense if not for the fact that this hits the "middle class" (insofar as one exists) hardest. The truly rich don't need to work any harder than they currently do, the truly poor probably didn't have factions that were hit all that hard by this. It's the people in between, who have a decent amount of money (20-40k) but not a huge amount of money (100k+) that are being hit hardest by this. These are the people who either have select services, or who are more casual players than hardcore.

Understandable, but I'd still like to think the situation is also partly muddied by the fact you don't actually play anymore. I greatly appreciate your past sentiment in continuing to donate, but I dare speculate that your actual "fun" on the server stopped a long time ago and that you purely maintained a sentiment of loyalty to the server/sentiment to your past effort. It could have been the tax thing, it could have been any other change in the future.

MonMarty, I don't play because I have college classes right now and suck at time management (case in point, I should be studying for a statistics test tomorrow but instead I'm here). When I'm done the semester I plan(ned) to come back and continue playing - maybe sell some premium if people still buy that stuff. And yes, I did donate when inactive due to sentiment rather than direct gain, but also because I planned to come back and wanted the server to still be here when I did. I still have stuff here I want to do and friends here and whatnot.

I suppose if the service is not profitable or stable, then it should die. I disagree that this is the fault of the taxes though, I'd rather say it's the fault of an unprofitable game plan, or the fact that the people who use the darkroom are just ungrateful or that the actual amount of people using the darkroom was so little that even if donations came through it wouldn't have helped. Either way, if you are unable to maintain an undependable service because it only drains you money, I don't see why that is cause to raise your fist to the establishment for raising the taxes when the cause is clearly just selfish usage.

Eh, I've never done it for profit. Maybe I'm just stupid nice, but I've always kept Darkroom42 running so that people who need a darkroom but otherwise don't have access to one can use it. It was always a drain, and always going to be, but I could handle 25r a day. 50r on the other hand, plus increases in Hyrune's own tax, that makes it decidedly more difficult. You asked people to cite examples and I did. I'm sure there are other factions and services that are going to collapse because of this as well.

If players are selling properties it means they don't need it. Mithril has several world properties and cannot pay the taxes. BillyTheGrump Grumped a bit when the taxes were raised, recruited a bunch of members and raised taxes a bit while instituting some unspoken policy of players rotating every now and then to toss some donations into the faction. He did a little bit of work to sustain an unhealthy faction because he chose not to sell everything because he wants to keep everything. I think selling parts of your faction is the cheap and easy way out. I want all players to fairly make use of the world maps as much as they can feasibly maintain with the effort they are prepared to put in. This frees up more space for new players, as well as make player's actual hard work worth that much more.

I can respect the sentiment, but doubling the largest money drain... I dunno. Seems a bit much just to get people to play a style they may not personally enjoy playing. This is a game, after all, and it shouldn't behave like the real world does. Then it stops being a game.

• market speculation
  • Questing
  • Repeatadble job island quests (not implemented but still)
  • Book writing.
  • Art making.
  • Music writing.
  • Character application writing.
  • Banking (you might claim it does not work because you tried, I will reply you tried it the wrong way by relying on staff to back your business like some meta-ban threat instead of imparting actual value to service).
  • Server PR (we actually still give free Regals to people for good PR content)
  • Mob grinding (boring, but should still be on the list)
  • building for other factions.
  • Excavating for other factions.
  • Selling items.
  • Harvesting resources for other players on a commission fee.
  • Reporting exploits successfully with a proper bug report on the forum.
  • Selling lore items.
  • raiding factions and demanding tribute.
  • offering RP services for money.
  • offering raid/protection services for money.
  • tax your members.
  • receive negative taxes from your faction (you can actually pay members daily with minus taxes)
  • Play the market (you can make a lot of money selling and buying on the /tp market, a bunch of videos were made about it)
  • provide other services, whatever.
Point is. Yeah you can't make a lot of money if all you're willing to do for that money is do 3 clicks at most.

You shouldn't include things that aren't implemented, they don't actually help anyone yet. Other than that my only gripe is with your "banking" statement. I did attempt to have PvP factions back the bank up, but they either didn't go through with their end of the agreements, or players went inactive, which makes it hard to collect. But I suppose there are some ways or another to make it work. Maybe.

Then the faction commands no loyalty which means these factions are already walking corpses anyway. Nobody left Mithril when taxes were hiked because all of these people are loyal to the faction and continue to see value in being part of it even if none of the survival worlds are being used at all.

I can't think of a decent argument against this except that 'noobs' generally have a low loyalty as it is, and those are the players that tend to go to the cheapest faction possible. They also happen to be the best way for a faction to grow, making it difficult to grow a faction with high taxes. Not undo-able, just difficult. So your goal (ensuring dead factions go away) is certainly doable with the tax increase.

Then he needs to be pickier about what buildings he purchases and how he sells them, perhaps even cut off certain parts of the claims and sell only the bits that have actual market value, and then translate the amount of days he sits on the product into the price. I think mithril pays Mithril pays like 250 regals a day for 1250 claim. How on earth do you pay 400 regals a day on builds you are holding onto??? who would even want to buy that much land? You can't convince me he has literally 2000 chunks of prime quality build land claimed.

He probably doesn't, but keep in mind the turnover rate. It takes time to build, during which taxes will build up. Lets say he's making a 200-chunk town to sell off. If it takes him 4 months to build it he pays nearly 2000r in taxes, then it may take him another 4-5 months to sell it, which ups the cost on his part by another 2000 or so. That in turn forces the price up, making it harder to sell. Now, you would clearly argue "well then he isn't building well enough" or "he needs to lower prices" but keep in mind that with everyone selling builds they can't afford to keep it's not possible to make a profit anymore. Stuff WILL be unclaimed - stuff that took months to supply and build.

I do think that Gene is probably exaggerating a bit, but it IS expensive to build stuff for later sale. It always has been with taxes, but this double the cost, and thus double the minimum price tag for profit.

Trickle down does not work if the lower classes expect handouts. There is a solid steady way to make money. It's simply being prepared to do more work than clicking 3 times and then running off to spend your free government handout.

It also doesn't work if the lower class is so busy spending their money on taxes that they can't afford to buy any luxuries. Though again, this is mostly a middle-class problem, rather than a lower-class problem.

Devils advocate usually implies you take an unpopular stance for the sake of the debate which is not occurring here since you lack A. objective credible argumentation to support a debate and B. this isn't even an unpopular stance. Opinions on the matter are more divided than you want to make out, aside from a few players proclaiming the grandeur to speak for the better part of the whole player base.

So do you have nothing to say about the risk that players, formerly loyal (like me), will leave/go inactive due to the tax hike? Because I saw no response to the actual statement I made. And as for, uh, "the grandeur to speak for the better part of the whole player base" if that's how I come off it's not how I mean to. I'm merely representing myself. And I rather doubt I'm the only casual player who plays.

I have stated time and time again, bad policies can be repealed if they are shown with credible data to be wrong, but all I see is appeal to emotion here.

So. The Staff.

And we are grateful that stuff can be repealed. This thread is both a request to repeal and a place for discussion over it. I do not know where emotions came into this though - I've yet to see any emotional responses.

And we are grateful that stuff can be repealed. This thread is both a request to repeal and a place for discussion over it. I do not know where emotions came into this though - I've yet to see any emotional responses.
Perhaps I used the wrong term. When I said emotional argumentation, I meant anecdotal evidence. While your experiences are very personal to you, and they affect you greater, in the grand scheme of things anecdotes are utterly irrelevant unless they are represented in a larger spectrum with trends to support the matter.

We have some credible evidence that in fact contradicts these anecdotes into even larger irrelevant data. All the data below is from the Massive Panel, which is not accessible publicly to players.

9d181e8c2abcc40c5c6677ad09a79514.png

The area marked in red is our daily premium numbers. This has obviously been a steady decline, but it's worth noting that the current trend of decrease in premiums is not anywhere near as fast as the decline was in April this year. In fact, the numbers seem to be flatlining and you can even see a slight bump at the very end. It may still be too early to tell what is really happening since many people have running subscriptions they may end now which only shows on this graph in a week or so, but we monitor this on an almost daily basis so if anything happens we can immediately act. Any speculation on the server losing donators at this point because of the tax rate is pure speculation. In fact it is even possible that the donators will start increasing because the server is starting to retain more new players.

Massive's loss of income is a bit skewed in favor of the gift4all store in fact. The largest revenue loss (which previously helped us compensate for the loss of donators when the EULA was enacted) is the loss of gift4all purchases like MCMMO experience gain and armor or weapons4all. We are personally working on it to make the gift4all shop more appealing, but that's all besides the points.

With all evidence that I have available, the idea that the tax doubling is somehow crushing the server's popularity, and that is an experiment has failed, is nonsense, at least at this stage, and pure speculation for people who want to use fear mongering to get their will pushed through. This is emotional argumentation, which also finds its base in anecdotal evidence.

In any other time this probably wouldn't had hit us too hard but as I'm the main recruiter at NorthWatch, the month my comp was broken sort of left us hanging and this tax raise is costing us big as the faction land had grown but not the members. Best I can think of is some kind of scaling.

Smaller factions costing the highest tax, .2 per chunk, then as chunks are claimed, lets say hitting 1500-2000 chunks, because that's a BIG number to reach, it lowers to .1 per chunk.

This might seem focused on hitting the lower class but as many have stated, owning 300 chunks has virtually no effect on their actual bank. Its the bigger more established factions that shouldn't be punished for this. It's the smaller, innactive ones you are trying to kill correct? Arthas(Wolves), Tyberia, Enigma, NorthWatch, just to name a few have been around quite a while. Well, ANYONE that big has been around for months and longer. Would this perhaps be an effectual solution? @MonMarty

On a side note, this would also promote some form of motivation to recruit and grow bigger perhaps?

Last edited:
Its the bigger more established factions that shouldn't be punished for this
Is it though? Let's assume these are identified as monument factions, factions which have very small amounts of members that log in occasionally to keep their faction bank alive to sustain their faction even if there is no actual hope of ever reviving the faction in any meaningful manner.

This is the "Dark Side" if you were, of MassiveRestore. The great benefit of MassiveRestore is that it allows factions to effectively exist, forever, as long as the faction can pay the price of existing. At the same time, available land is a massive scarcity that we as staff cannot work fast enough to get rid of, sort of like the housing problem in Regalia. What I mean with the "Dark Side" is that factions that would normally die when a world gets reset to make way for new factions from new players, actually doesn't die, thus worsening the land shortage problem because they can be maintained.

Am I thus trying to kill monument factions that stand as a testament to 3 years of hard labor from players? Absolutely not.

Am I trying to make people expend more effort to validate their existence on the server when it comes at the expense of others? Absolutely.

Am I thus trying to kill factions of which the members or owners do not want to spend extra effort to exist at the expense of others? Absolutely.

Being staff is being cursed with the unique position of having to decide what the moral middle ground is when you make decisions for the server as a whole. If I see a small group of people who don't actively contribute to the server anymore, holding down a much larger group of people who are yet to experience MassiveCraft and a much larger potential base for donations, I know which group to hit with limitations.

I don't think the taxes should be considered a punishment. I am not puinishing anyone nor is anying arguing in favor of punishments. I am in favor of making the ecological footprint that anyone has on this server, mean more.

Aside from memes and images, do you have anything to contribute to this thread? Not to shoot you down or be rude or anything, this is with all due respect, in-fact. I just think it's getting dangerously close to the point in which you're just trolling.

Marty i brought it up previously but i will again. with the tax doubling, the playertax still caps at 10r can that be raised to compensate the higher faction tax?

@MonMarty - I always forget that staff can so easily monitor premium account numbers (lol). I suppose we'll just need to see how it effects premium in the long run. I worry that it'll hurt the server overall, but hope it doesn't. As for the tax hike... I can respect your reasons for doing so even if I disagree with them. But I've always been against the tax system, so I'm probably biased.

I honesty agree with most arguments for taxes...
I own a small faction in which I only currently reside. I have spent a month or so on a build that has cost me about 12 chunks. Along with the other two chunks my faction owns, It brings the tax to about 7r a day. I deposited 200r in my faction bank back before the change(like 1 week before) and I haven't looked at it since. I think the tax is actually helping people because I have owned several small shops. All which I struggled to make money off of. I literally sold diamonds at the price of dirt and nobody bought them. Though, it was a small shop not advertised much and there are many factors. Point is... It is almost impossible to make big money if you are poor other than drawing art(which I can't do) or selling something SUPER WANTED(which I have no access to). So, I think that the change will eventually help us overall by making an item actually worth something. As in, I believe it will dim inflation to the point were we have a working-class economy(which would be quite beneficial to all dedicated members). Though, change may not always be a good thing... We will never, NO MATTER WHAT, have the server like a change made. People need to just start working and trying to fix the economy, instead of being lazy and getting 100r every 20 hours.

I honesty agree with most arguments for taxes...
I own a small faction in which I only currently reside. I have spent a month or so on a build that has cost me about 12 chunks. Along with the other two chunks my faction owns, It brings the tax to about 7r a day. I deposited 200r in my faction bank back before the change(like 1 week before) and I haven't looked at it since. I think the tax is actually helping people because I have owned several small shops. All which I struggled to make money off of. I literally sold diamonds at the price of dirt and nobody bought them. Though, it was a small shop not advertised much and there are many factors. Point is... It is almost impossible to make big money if you are poor other than drawing art(which I can't do) or selling something SUPER WANTED(which I have no access to). So, I think that the change will eventually help us overall by making an item actually worth something. As in, I believe it will dim inflation to the point were we have a working-class economy(which would be quite beneficial to all dedicated members). Though, change may not always be a good thing... We will never, NO MATTER WHAT, have the server like a change made. People need to just start working and trying to fix the economy, instead of being lazy and getting 100r every 20 hours.
sorry I meant to say *factors*

drawing art(which I can't do) or selling something SUPER WANTED
This is like, the most basic economic principal. You're supposed to sell things to people that people want to buy. If you want to make money, you should be able to provide a basic good or service that people are actually in want/need of (using a skill you've spent time developing, or goods you've invested time and effort into obtaining)...

as opposed to waiting for someone to give you something to provide, which in essence, is no better than clicking a man for 100r a day.

This is the "Dark Side" if you were, of MassiveRestore.
Im not trying to place blame, I'm for the price and tax raise. You're right, as a staff member you're in this weird purgatorial, moral middle ground. But in light of this, this is a situation where the good guy shouldn't be getting hurt for what the bad guy is doing. Perhaps I chose my words poorly by using "punished" but this is in fact what is feels like. Doing away with this change isn't a fix, but there are changes that do need to be made for it. With the steady decline of donors we are in desperate need of quality over quanity. With the revival of the PR department there will hopefully be an influx of players which is why is absolutely important we have a place of quality for them to land on. This has already been accomplished in a way. There's been a severe purge of faction land, there's a world claim limit, lessened claim borders, and a change in outlook. But this is why it's just as important that the bigger factions that are as recite and alive aren't struggling as they are. A scaling of land tax, much like this, isn't a section re permanent fix.

Perhaps there is coding that could be implemented that raises taxes per over claimed chunk? That would put an extreme focus on those giant factions with little members.

So this is a question from me as a person, not as a staff member.

I will do some very simple math here, atm you can tax a member with 10 r per day, that makes 300r a month if the month has 30 days.

To pay that tax as faction member you have to go to Pius 3 times per Month, which should even with slow Pc and crappy internet take no more than 5 minutes.

With this 10 r tax, you can pay for 50 chunks per day and member and all the effort it takes for the member to do so is spending 15 Minutes a month to help out their fac.
From my perspective 50 chunks per member are more than reasonable, I mean hell you can build a small castle on that size ofclaim. I would even go so far and wonder if it is ok if you can hog 50 chunks per month for 15 minutes "work".

If I look at faction leaders that are currently inactive, or as I refer it to in a "faction-hibernation-phase" , that means you could earn 3k per Month with an "effort" of 2,5 hours claiming a total of 500 chunks.

I, of course, know these are the so-called "best case scenario" numbers, but even if you can't come on a couple days you can still easily maintain 300-400 chunks, all by yourself !

So I really wonder why people think this a tax of 2 r per 10 chunks is unfair, or even destroying the game for them, I mean 500 chunks would be a more than decent sized town or not ?

Last edited:
This is like, the most basic economic principal. You're supposed to sell things to people that people want to buy. If you want to make money, you should be able to provide a basic good or service that people are actually in want/need of (using a skill you've spent time developing, or goods you've invested time and effort into obtaining)...

as opposed to waiting for someone to give you something to provide, which in essence, is no better than clicking a man for 100r a day.
I live in the americas and most of the middle class economy here is manual labor, not talent. Here, most of the middle class does mindless work for money and that helps the economy by making you work for something.I was trying to convey that we need a economy where one can do manual labor for money, instead of just clicking a man. So I agree with you in some sense though not in other sense.

I live in the americas and most of the middle class economy here is manual labor, not talent. Here, most of the middle class does mindless work for money and that helps the economy by making you work for something.I was trying to convey that we need a economy where one can do manual labor for money, instead of just clicking a man. So I agree with you in some sense though not in other sense.
though I think job island will fix this problem but it will eventually get to the point where people have muscle memory of exactly what to do to earn their 120r for the day and it will end up another john the pious. So I propose we just make job island much larger and have a rotating cycle, so we have different npcs on different days of the week... to try to mix things up a little. But I know this takes time and effort and I have no intentions to rush staff or plead for more.

Because of the frequency of Halloween mob spawns, you get a rough average of 170 regals an hour. Currently because of Ore frequency, you can get roughly 350 regals worth of ores in an hour.

Funding factions is not the issue. The issue is with all the lazy players who are freeloading off of "Pius the regal giver" there are over 1400 daily players, that means a possibility of over 140,000 regals for just right licking on an npc daily... I can't compare the numbers to faction tax (Because I chat find the stats)

In a month that's a little over 4 million regals coming in from the server...... Almost a third of the active economy.. Every month.

The point is, there is way to much circulating regals coming directly from the server, and increasing tax is the only sure way to get some of those regals back.

Currently I have a city that can house over 30 players (Soon to house more) an it only costs me 2200 regals a month at the current claim.
For a faction that can support 30 players.... Who can get enough money to support my faction for a month in a DAY... I honestly think that tax is still a little low, but I think it'd be appropriate to give players a good couple months to adjust to the new system.

Ohh and @Zacatero
You mentioned that players are canceling their premium subscription because of the tax increase... But, I actually started donating again to the server because I liked the changes. (Tax Increase)

So my message to all the player who think it's too expensive to support your faction... Go and mine or darkroom.. Stop being lazy lol

If you want to grind mindlessly for money to get you some middle class-esque paycheck, darkrooming is your best friend.
Massivecraft is very generous in comparison to other factions servers. Here you can earn or make God armor set in an hour. On a traditional minecraft factions server they expect you to grind sugarcane for hours on end... Just so you can sell it and get a decent set of pvp gear (Not even the best), or you use that money to invest in a mob spawner so you can farm exp to make God armor... Which also takes another hour depending on the server you've played on.

To ask for an hour Darkrooming a day isn't much but it currently helps pay for half your monthly payment for a medium sized regalian house.
About 2 hours of Darkrooming or 3 daily clicks on an npc... To have a month of roleplay fun with your own house in regalia...

In midieval times to took a lifetime to pay for a house, most workers made just enough to feed their family for a day... For a midieval factions server... We are very generous. Just a thought.

Because of the frequency of Halloween mob spawns, you get a rough average of 170 regals an hour. Currently because of Ore frequency, you can get roughly 350 regals worth of ores in an hour.

Funding factions is not the issue. The issue is with all the lazy players who are freeloading off of "Pius the regal giver" there are over 1400 daily players, that means a possibility of over 140,000 regals for just right licking on an npc daily... I can't compare the numbers to faction tax (Because I chat find the stats)

In a month that's a little over 4 million regals coming in from the server...... Almost a third of the active economy.. Every month.

The point is, there is way to much circulating regals coming directly from the server, and increasing tax is the only sure way to get some of those regals back.

Currently I have a city that can house over 30 players (Soon to house more) an it only costs me 2200 regals a month at the current claim.
For a faction that can support 30 players.... Who can get enough money to support my faction for a month in a DAY... I honestly think that tax is still a little low, but I think it'd be appropriate to give players a good couple months to adjust to the new system.

Ohh and @Zacatero
You mentioned that players are canceling their premium subscription because of the tax increase... But, I actually started donating again to the server because I liked the changes. (Tax Increase)

So my message to all the player who think it's too expensive to support your faction... Go and mine or darkroom.. Stop being lazy lol
I agree entirely

@pokyug When I say "grind mindlessly" I was referring to the fact that he'd said that he wanted something to do that would be easy, time consuming, and accessible on a regular basis.

I own Valyria, we pay a lot for our land. We have half of our members are my own or others alt accounts. We are a unhealthy faction. We still can pay for taxes. It is not hard to earn money on here, in fact it is quite easy now. Reversing the taxes would do more harm than good. With the taxes as they are now, players can loot dead faction and old players. Their stuff returns to the economy and thus, improving on the prices. Builds can be used now when they previously were frozen in time. Valyria is made from old factions who have died because of this tax raise.

With the taxes as they are now, players can loot dead faction and old players.
which as a side consequence might encourage PvP by the scavengers. I know I've looted an old faction base back, and got a few lore Items I didn't have before. Yeah, I didn't PvP. But I got out of my hole in the ground, so it has that going for it.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. When I said emotional argumentation, I meant anecdotal evidence. While your experiences are very personal to you, and they affect you greater, in the grand scheme of things anecdotes are utterly irrelevant unless they are represented in a larger spectrum with trends to support the matter.

We have some credible evidence that in fact contradicts these anecdotes into even larger irrelevant data. All the data below is from the Massive Panel, which is not accessible publicly to players.

9d181e8c2abcc40c5c6677ad09a79514.png

The area marked in red is our daily premium numbers. This has obviously been a steady decline, but it's worth noting that the current trend of decrease in premiums is not anywhere near as fast as the decline was in April this year. In fact, the numbers seem to be flatlining and you can even see a slight bump at the very end. It may still be too early to tell what is really happening since many people have running subscriptions they may end now which only shows on this graph in a week or so, but we monitor this on an almost daily basis so if anything happens we can immediately act. Any speculation on the server losing donators at this point because of the tax rate is pure speculation. In fact it is even possible that the donators will start increasing because the server is starting to retain more new players.

Massive's loss of income is a bit skewed in favor of the gift4all store in fact. The largest revenue loss (which previously helped us compensate for the loss of donators when the EULA was enacted) is the loss of gift4all purchases like MCMMO experience gain and armor or weapons4all. We are personally working on it to make the gift4all shop more appealing, but that's all besides the points.

With all evidence that I have available, the idea that the tax doubling is somehow crushing the server's popularity, and that is an experiment has failed, is nonsense, at least at this stage, and pure speculation for people who want to use fear mongering to get their will pushed through. This is emotional argumentation, which also finds its base in anecdotal evidence.
What are the axes of this graph? Also why have you ignored my most recent comment?

What are the axes of this graph? Also why have you ignored my most recent comment?
Because the subject of your conversation is not pertaining to the actual subject on the thread. You've already indicated that you're against the thread's intention which means we agree. There is little to no point in you trying to lecture me on economic theory if it leads nowhere beyond vain satisfaction. Unless you've somehow changed your stance on faction tax needing to be lowered, I don't see the need to spend time replying to someone who already agrees with the decision I made.

we should probably close this thread... It is mainly dead and we have seen most peoples points.

If I am allowed to mindlessly say something, even as a truly basic RP'r who rarely ever leaves Regalia and hardly does anything for money, those taxes aren't scary to me at all. I've done nothing to try and 'fix' anything as I'm part of a tiny faction with a small storage room and mildly medium sized city {unless I'm unaware of any possible changes}. You PvE, PvP, and Survivalist players shouldn't really have to worry about a thing, so long as you guys keep doing your raids, selling of items, grinding, etc., and aren't owning land that somehow is {and unfortunately probably shouldn't be} 50x100 chunks per world with only 5-7 players to keep it alive. I might not exactly belong here giving my input on such an issue, but it's an opinion that might change views of someone? There is too weak of a faction, as there is too big of a faction. Just putting that out there, I suppose. There is such thing as too much of a good {or big, in this case} thing to own.

Just sayin..... I am eager to see what Tyberia does...

upload_2016-10-31_11-8-17.png

Really, when it comes down to it, this issue just needs to be broken down into the base case.

Suppose a person, lets just say Catbug, was the proud owner of faction X

Catbug is the only person in faction X, and he is the only person who has ever been in faction X

Catbug also has claimed all of the land that he is physically able to claim. (30 Chunks or equivalently 7680 blocks)

Now Catbug is having to deal with these heightened taxes! Oh no! Lets see how much he pays.

30 Chunks, 1r/5chunks/day = 6r/24 hours

Now, Catbug believes this amount of taxation to be absurd! By god, he has to teleport to regalia for 25 seconds he can receive 100r/20 hours from John the Pious.

And for that matter, it would take him a solid 10 minutes outside (or in dark room if you'd prefer less immersive and more grinding) in order to make... 6 regals.

Or maybe he should go mining. A diamond block normally sells for about 7r as of today, and is bought by default at 6r at most any chest (just walked around in the market) but 7 is about average for buying. If Catbug decided to mine for a few minutes, then he could probably find 9 diamonds and sell them to any chest in the market with no hassle, paying his tax.

Now lets be honest, we all know that Catbug is the laziest creature in all of Aloria, so he definitely wants to do the minimum amount of work in order to keep his faction. That means that he will need to go to John the Pious once every about 16 days
in order to hold onto his faction.

Ok so, I've just presented the base case for any faction. So, with that in mind, a lazy faction owner, alone, who only does the minimum, will still be able to maintain a claim that is the size of 16 people, by simply grabbing welfare every morning (actually a 17% more than that since John gives money every 20 hours, but whatever the math gets harder if I do that)

Ok keep all of that in mind.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, is there really anyone, anyone who could tell me, with no emotion, and no bias, that this is unreasonable?

In my mind, if you are a faction leader, and you own a faction that has 16x as many claims as you have players, that are willing to give up all of their welfare every day, then you are a failure and your faction deserves to either crash and burn or down size. Think about it. Suppose Tyberia had exactly the claims of 256 members at full power, this isn't current, but it will keep the numbers easy. That is 7680 Chunks or 1.97 million square blocks. It would only take 16 members to sustain that faction if all they did was get on 1 time every day for 30 seconds and donate their welfare to the faction. Every claim could be kept simply by doing the very very minimum amount of work once a day.

So, clearly by those numbers, this amount of taxation is definitely not unsustainable, it doesn't even sound painful unless your faction is grossly oversized, really it only gets painful for people who "care" if they have more than 16:1 claims to dedicated/caring players in which case then those players would need to do more than just give up their welfare every day.

So, I think by what I've said so far, I have objectively, indisputably proven that these taxes are not too much to endure for old factions that want to survive. It also does allow for new factions to take up the new open spaces that are left behind.

With that in mind. To all of you old high kings, emperors, and the like... I dare to say that if your faction members join your faction, then leave it, or don't like the experience you gave them enough to become a dedicated player and decide to never come back to MassiveCraft again, then... you as a leader, and your officers, those in charge of recruiting and teaching new members, have failed. That's right. If you can't treat your members of your factions like they are the lifeblood of your society, then you have failed, and you've caused the server to lose someone forever.

The fact is, if every member does their part, then every faction will be easily sustainable. If you have players that only get on once every 2 weeks, then they can sustain their part of the faction with 25 seconds of effort... not the healthiest, but good enough to survive. It's up to you as a leader to be constantly recruiting, giving jobs to your faction members, and interacting with them while you have the chance and they are getting a feel for Massivecraft so that they will come back the next day, or whenever it is convenient and keep playing for years. That way, by the time they decide to be done with Minecraft for good, they will have done the same thing with their own faction down the line, forever building up the community in size and continuing on this servers history of being the best damn server in existence.

Full Disclaimer: If you don't bother to read my entire post, then I have no respect for you if you decide its worth your time to bash it down. Read the whole thing, and supply something constructive, or keep to yourself.

Love, Catbug