Archived Dynmap Edit

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrolleyLedPanda

Citizen
Reaction score
Website
minecraft.net
I'd like there to be a command for officers + in a faction to type /dynmap hideland so it reverts the dynmap to look like how it was before people settled in. This way medieval warriors can't use their satellites to locate other people's bases but still find suitable places to settle down. I hate how everybody has access to Google Maps on the server in MEDIEVAL times. For all you people disagreeing, you can go play on a PVP server for all I care.
Suggestions are welcome.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Think of it more as a map with marked factions on it.

I followed your foot prints and hunted you through the forest.

I didn't know humans had developed satellite technology to locate bases!

Personally, I think not only is that pretty funny TrolledPan1337 , but also it would benefit people, of all things. You make a base in the new world, before you're even done BAM get raided by someone cause they found your dirt hut.
I personally think it should be as Trolled mentioned, I for one find it quite annoying how you can simply find a base because they have it a castle/whatever it is. To be hidden on the Dynmap, you basically need to be Underground, which we all know how long it takes to do that.
It's not very Medieval to be able to find someone's base because you have the Dynmap up. Unless you say "A Herald had spotted it and sent us word of it", it really isn't a RP-compliant thing. And I doubt anyone really says that, simply cause they didn't think of that at the time.

I followed your foot prints and hunted you through the forest.
Now see, not only could you use that reason now, but you could use it if their dynmap was up and they forgot to close it, you could say you trailed them.

You have neighbors by your faction that could give away your position.

The reason Dynmap exists is to make the 16 chunk rule more manageable. You want people looking for places to settle to travel to a place that looks good only to find it settled and have this process repeated till they give up?

Role Play wise I look at it like this, Every world in massivecraft is sovereign settled territory of the Regalian Empire (Silveredge etc) If you want to settle a location you pay the Empire 200 silver for the right to start up a settlement and they keep track and chart the Factions that are settled in their Territory.

I understand what you want but I'd rather know what land is claimed without having to walk there. Or break the 16 chunk rule unknowingly.

You have neighbors by your faction that could give away your position.

Not if you're hidden well enough in the mountains.
The reason Dynmap exists is to make the 16 chunk rule more manageable. You want people looking for places to settle to travel to a place that looks good only to find it settled and have this process repeated till they give up?

Role Play wise I look at it like this, Every world in massivecraft is sovereign settled territory of the Regalian Empire (Silveredge etc) If you want to settle a location you pay the Empire 200 silver for the right to start up a settlement and they keep track and chart the Factions that are settled in their Territory.

I understand what you want but I'd rather know what land is claimed without having to walk there. Or break the 16 chunk rule unknowingly.

Yes so what about those vampire/demon safe havens or just plain evil factions (Chronikatr and BloodShed for example)? Do you think Regalia just sells land to vampires?

Think of it this way.
Vampire's want to make a settlement, but don't want to be suspected of any wrong doings, so they still want to pay the fee for the land.
They send the most normal looking person to the Capital to buy it.
They get the deed, and there.

Think of it this way.
Vampire's want to make a settlement, but don't want to be suspected of any wrong doings, so they still want to pay the fee for the land.

You also pay for an additional sum to not be added to the map that everybody has access to.
There.

Think of it this way.
Or they infect the land agent and corrupt him to their will with promises of money and paperwork... :D

But what if you don't have Faction but you still build? The empire won't have record of you but they know your there.

Think of it this way, its a magical map updated by magic users throughout the world.

MonMarty would it be possible for something like that to be added to the lore to stop people saying the dynmap is unRP? Its kind of like when you said that instead of removing enderpearls to fit the lore the lore should be changed to allow enderpearls (or something like that).

It is quite straightforward to make a base that is invisible on the dynmap, except for the faction claim. It takes no more time than a dirt hut, but a bit more creativity. Following that, you need to set priorities. If you are starving, plant food, getting raided, build defenses or traps. If you are getting raided by one of the powerful factions, get an ally. Make sure everyone uses /dynmap hide so you don't look like a good target on dynmap.

Or you could stop complaining about everything and enjoy the game :) Just another suggestion..

IF I was to support this, which I sort of do, I would suggest that for the command to work, it would subtract a certain amount hourly/daily from your faction bank, to sustain the hidden stuff. Because I mean, that way everyone would just hide their bases and it would be difficult to find anyone, even if their base was 'in roleplay' marked on a map.

I don't exactly get why so many people are against this, I think that Trolled has a pretty valid reason for making it so factions can hide themselves on dynmap.

In roleplay, yes. But in practicality, no. If you want to have your faction marked on an actual roleplay map, ask me, I have a roleplay map that I can put factions on. But the dynmap is for pure useful purposes, which prohibits this feature. Not to mention, I don't think this feature is that easily implemented.

Or you could stop complaining about everything and enjoy the game :) Just another suggestion..

Its difficult to ignore when you make open threats to lesser factions across all of MassiveCraft. Your members loot, pillage, Harass and overall disrupt RP across the server. Lets see, you guys demand 6 God weapons AND 560s from us as well as we find your members with god weapons and armour always around our village we are building. It ruins our RP what we joined the server for. If you want open PvP find another faction who wishes this. All of your members have high PvP levels and it makes it hard for a faction that only has 2 Premiums to actually establish itself while your members at Chronikatr have a portal close enough and raid when they get bored. Those are my concerns.

Regalia has spies everywhere...
Then why doesn't the Regalian guard raid evil factions? They have spies everywhere, so they should know better than to be tricked to sell land for a vampires etc.

Or you could stop complaining about everything and enjoy the game :)Just another suggestion..

You can't enjoy the game with people like you. I joined this server for an RP server where I can build what I want to build. Not so I can build an overused underground base. There isn't any point to building on the surface if you have people raiding you left and right because they found you on a map you never put yourself on. Secondly, only my faction has been on my claimed land and nobody has been there to chart the land. So there is no reason for me to be marked on a public map that also happens to show where everybody is at one time (unless you use /dynmap hide). But /dynmap hide does not give your base any privacy.

Its difficult to ignore when you make open threats to lesser factions across all of MassiveCraft. Your members loot, pillage, Harass and overall disrupt RP across the server. Lets see, you guys demand 6 God weapons AND 560s from us as well as we find your members with god weapons and armour always around our village we are building. It ruins our RP what we joined the server for. If you want open PvP find another faction who wishes this. All of your members have high PvP levels and it makes it hard for a faction that only has 2 Premiums to actually establish itself while your members at Chronikatr have a portal close enough and raid when they get bored. Those are my concerns.
Please don't spread false information. I didnt ask for 6 god weapons and 560s. Just some silver to end the war that YOUR faction started.

Please don't spread false information. I didnt ask for 6 god weapons and 560s. Just some silver to end the war that YOUR faction started.

Please don't be a hypocrite. We asked Dawnstar (BraveHeart) to join our empire/alliance without telling us they were in Aurora's empire/cliche. Aurora attacked us first and we defended ourselves. We never raided Aurora. Aurora started the war. You asked for 3 Sharpness 5 Swords and 3 Sharpness 5 Axes along with maximum tribute (530 Silver). It's kind of funny hearing "Don't spread false information" from the biggest liar and backstabber on the server.
Snake Offensive? You're the one who demanded tribute after we said we would help you best we could in the war!

There are many ways to explain away dynmap and keep it lore compliant.

You bought a map from a cartographer, or you made the map yourself while exploring the land, or you know a powerful mage who specializes in divination. Instinct. etc. etc.

The dynmap does more good than bad.

Then why doesn't the Regalian guard raid evil factions? They have spies everywhere, so they should know better than to be tricked to sell land for a vampires etc.

Simple tactics. Regalia has naval superiority, but have you ever heard of the Regalian army? They do what they can to defend themselves, but no one has threatened them that has not done so by sea. Thus they control the seas. So no evil faction can attack Regalia. They don't have that much of a standing army, so they are not fools enough to try to purge all evil factions on land. But it doesn't matter, because they are only interested in exploration and their own defense. This means, kill all threats on the water, and ignore anything else. Especially as, again, they can't really do anything else, due to lack of an army.

You bought a map from a cartographer, or you made the map yourself while exploring the land, or you know a powerful mage who specializes in divination. Instinct. etc. etc.

And divination is not possible in Massivecraft lore.

More good then bad? It depends on who is doing what. I wouldn't let a cartographer get even near my land, I would kill him. Same goes for you. Also, I know a powerful mage who specializes in anti-scrying so you can't find my base. None of these options are available, so there are no countermeasures to be taken in order to stay hidden.

Simple tactics. Regalia has naval superiority, but have you ever heard of the Regalian army? They do what they can to defend themselves, but no one has threatened them that has not done so by sea. Thus they control the seas. So no evil faction can attack Regalia. They don't have that much of a standing army, so they are not fools enough to try to purge all evil factions on land. But it doesn't matter, because they are only interested in exploration and their own defense. This means, kill all threats on the water, and ignore anything else. Especially as, again, they can't really do anything else, due to lack of an army.

I'm not trying to disagree with you. But somebody said that Regalia sells factions land. I said why do they sell it to evil factions? You said Regalia has spies and so they would know an evil faction when they see one. There is also one problem with your theory, people are allowed to take all their items into Regalia (swords and armor). So they could just come inside and take over the city.

I have a question, is Regalia the only superpower there is? Does it control the entire world? If so, then why does it let factions have conflicts with each other, when we could be having a perfect Utopian world?

More good then bad? It depends on who is doing what. I wouldn't let a cartographer get even near my land, I would kill him. Same goes for you. Also, I know a powerful mage who specializes in anti-scrying so you can't find my base. None of these options are available, so there are no countermeasures to be taken in order to stay hidden.

That's... rather childish. That's like saying "Well I have a magic shield that blocks that so NYAH, doesn't count." while playing fake swords as a kid.

Dynmap encourages exploration and generally makes the server and it's MASSIVE (wink) worlds much more user friendly. It also allows for larger projects to stand out more and allow you to admire the work without having to spend 20 minutes traveling to it, just to get killed half way there because you were an idiot for not hiding on dynmap, and oh damn it, now I'm out of food and I gotta wait another hour for my carrots to grow........

That's... rather childish. That's like saying "Well I have a magic shield that blocks that so NYAH, doesn't count." while playing fake swords as a kid.

Dynmap encourages exploration and generally makes the server and it's MASSIVE (wink) worlds much more user friendly. It also allows for larger projects to stand out more and allow you to admire the work without having to spend 20 minutes traveling to it, just to get killed half way there because you were an idiot for not hiding on dynmap, and oh damn it, now I'm out of food and I gotta wait another hour for my carrots to grow........

It's as childish as saying you have a powerful mage who owes you a bunch of favors. Also, I said there would be a command that hides your base on the dynmap and makes it look like natural land as long as it's in your claimed territory. I never said to remove dynmap, I wanted it to be tweaked (Note the thread title) so people can't see or find your base if you don't want them to.

False Information? Psshhh, I will look through my screenshot folder. I have learned not to take bullshit on this server anymore and back it up with visual evidence. 6 God weapons of 3 axes and 3 swords demanded by members of your faction. The so called "War" was a battle between us and Aurora because of Dawnstars false information and accusations. If anything Chronikatr should stay out of this. I am not asking for any more contact between Sicarius and Chronikatr. All you guys are is PvP loving raiders, which not everyone is. If your faction is willing to RP something and not just pvp and threaten for weapons then go ahead. But other than that Snake just leave us alone will you? Its starting to become harassment from your members of the faction.

Status
Not open for further replies.