Pending Review Edit To The Dynmap Hide/show?

Discussion in 'Factions' started by CharlieML, Sep 3, 2019.

1. CharlieML

CharlieML The huggler

Hello!

So I just wanted to make a suggestion regarding the Dynmap constantly shows players unless they have a invis potion etc. Also, I lack complete knowledge on whats implemented in detail and such, so a few things may be a little off.. they also may have been suggested prior. Idk. I am going to ramble anyway..

So I returned to Massive properly.. with actual spirit in my heart, being aware the Dynmap had changed to allow players to be seen, removing /hide. I spent the last two days of basic building in survival (Which is the only time in the last few months I've stepped on my land to be productive) This is where I encountered two realisations;
    One, I can not PVP to save my life. Literally. I just run in a huge adrenaline rush of "omg I am going to die" then die in the progress. This all in spite of multiple players in the past trying to "train me" to not be a noob. They have been clearly unsuccessful (You know who you are)
    Two, there is a (what is probably a pain in the ass way) to keep both pvpers happy and those trying to build up their factions happy. Especially for new players, the poor and those who have potato computers that burn up trying to run Dynmap web pages. Which yes, it does happen.

It boils down to a few suggestions actually....
    - A grace period that lasts for like an hour a day, or a day in the week where players aren't seen on the map. Like a reoccurring weekly or daily depending on length?
    - Rewards! Maybe give a single invisible potion to people to replace the old sugar rush cookie? A vote crate item? etc. (Yes I can understand the economy aspect of doing such but its still an idea)
    - New players to receive a couple upon joining Massive to save their little bottoms being impaled by ruthless murderers whilst wondering clueless in the wilderness?

Anyway. Its just a thought and I am being completely biased as a victim to two deaths.. by two different factions... whilst building within the last two days .

Finally!
    I get there is a lot of "for" and "against" which I understand. There is reasons to love and hate everything I've suggested (Mostly hate I can imagine..). BUT there is also no harm in doing so.

(I also wanted to rant...)

So thank you for reading! [​IMG]

EDIT: Another suggestion is to make a console announcement on top of a grace period to when it is ending.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #1 CharlieML, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

i like the idea

and the tree, its a nice tree <3

3. SubscriptShark

SubscriptShark Not Registered

i like this 100%

4. BlueChaos

BlueChaos Beggar

I dont normally comment on threads, but i do like this idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Maybe related, maybe controversial?

+100 Invisibility trait which is combat logged? Solves all the issues of the OP while having the same concerns as normal invis pots.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Constructive x 1
    • Educated x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. Shearsy

Shearsy

i like this idea but , i still wanting the old one dynmap .

• Agree Agree x 1
    #6 Shearsy, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

Actually amazing idea wtf, can keep those who want to be invisible happy (like builders) and those who want to pvp visible on dynmap (cause who tf is going to run invis trait while pvping). Currently dynmap is used more for just ganking builders/survivalists mostly who forgot to pot up or don't even know about invis pots hiding you on dyn, if a trait like that was added, survivalists and builders can be invis while ganking is more directed towards pvpers like it was supposed to be.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

While I totally agree that the +100 trait idea is definitely a great one, I believe it would require too much tech input to happen any time soon. I think traits still have to be programmed into the backend.

9. Huinkoch

Huinkoch Refugee

Would like to see a regal sink version of /dynmap hide, could be done via quests. Something to the tune of 100r for 1 day of dynmap protection. Do like most of the other suggestions in this thread though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

my one issue with trait invisibility is its basically just /dynmap hide again

11. Zacatero

That's correct, but you have to pay 100 trait points. I would honestly be more in favor, now that I think about it, of a trait that is JUST for hiding on dynmap, without invisibility. That way it isnt permanent invisibility, but you still have to pay hefty points for the privilege.

12. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

invis trait defeats the purpose, not hard to have an extra 100 points if you're using a non pvp build

13. kniferharm

kniferharm ILoveEveryone

This. The Dynmap show is just used to target and exploit those who aren’t equipped for PvP and are unlikely to escape and fight back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MyCatBubbles

So dynmap on is to harm builders and survivalists now? Thanks for admitting it. PvPers won't use invis traits when they're pvping anyways in favor of traits that wont be disabled on combat. It's the best of both worlds, you get to find pvpers to gank and builders won't get killed by people wanting to shit on their day

• Like Like x 1
  15. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

no? you can very much brew all the invis pots you want, just stupid to essentially nullify the entire benefit of dynmap hide by just adding a trait to counter it. regardless, invis trait requires tech work, so will literally never happen anyways

16. MyCatBubbles

but don't invis pots defeat the purpose, unless dynmap being on was literally just to make a market around invis pots (and as to how often builders are getting screwed over by this change, it would seem that way). Except for tech work there really isn't much of an argument to not have an invis trait as invis pots are basically the same thing.

17. Knyxo

Knyxo Big Guy

For the most part indifferent to how dynmap works. Don't really see how having an easier time picking off builders improves PvP, but whatever people want I guess.

But it is probably detrimental to the health of the server for new players to be easy prey that people can track everywhere. At least, up until they learn that massive has a dynmap, learn how invis pots work, and acquire the means to make some. I'd be all for them getting some sort of dynmap grace period, or easy access to invis pots(with an explanation on their use).

18. Zacatero

what's the difference between being okay with invisible potions, but not being okay with the trait idea? They seem kind of similar to me, as far as in relation to the PVPer that can't see them

19. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

disable pvp

• Like Like x 2
    • Educated Educated x 1
  20. Riley0628

Riley0628 business man

I like this idea the best. This is one of the greatest ideas I think I have heard in a long ass time. I think it will balance great. If you want to work on builds full time, you can swap your PvP or just general traits for others.