Archived Armor Weight

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwyndo

Scottish Egg
Reaction score
*Wears Leather armour, runs fast*
*Wears GOLD armour... still runs fast?*

I would love to see a server that done something different than this!
I want to have fights where you don't just stick on your Dia god armour and sprint faster than the horses that roam the land.

What I'm thinking is perhaps a constant, but very slight, slowness on all heavy armour, or/and a slight speed up on lighter armours. If you get what I mean.

I'm not going to go too much in-depth to this idea right now because I can't be bothered in all honest, but I've been meaning to put a suggestion like this out for a while, and just thought I'd quickly throw it out there and take some negative ratings and hateful comments from people saying I should've kept my opinions to my self... I mean, they'd be right but it still hurts you know? ;-;

[Edit]
For the love of god, if you're going to be a drone and leave a "Disagree", at least tell me why you're disagreeing.
I've got nothing against opinions, I'd just prefer if you Actually Stated it. Instead of just clicking a button and running away. It's like saying "I don't like this, but instead of putting forward constructive criticism, I'll just say it's bad, and nothing more."

+No offense to anyone intended

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well I totally agree on this one, I never saw so fast running guy in 100kg heavy armor.
This is completely inaccurate. Plate armor sets which came about at the very end of medieval times and at the start of the Renaissance weighed around 50-60 lbs (23-27 kgs). Also, they had full range of movement and could sprint in their armor. Modern soldiers sometimes carry over double this weight. Additionally, their weapons were very light as well, with swords usually being around 2 or 3 lbs (1 kg).

Azas yes, they could sprint, but not for long. Hence the suggestion for faster hunger depletion- an idea which I think is brilliant. It uses mechanics people understand, is not too annoying, and is realistic.

Azas yes, they could sprint, but not for long. Hence the suggestion for faster hunger depletion- an idea which I think is brilliant. It uses mechanics people understand, is not too annoying, and is realistic.
That was suggested in response to my first post trying to get rid of the misconception that they couldn't sprint fast. Then my second post was in response to a guy who was backing that misconception. I haven't said no to faster hunger depletion

Ok, I'm trying to make it clear for people reading it. And, y'know, the poll doesn't have enough options, so I'm trying to bring the discussion back to hunger depletion and state my opinion on it.

Slowness or noise would be annoying and too easy to avoid, but I think a hunger effect would be great. (Though still rather easy to avoid… hmm.)

I obviously don't know where to stand on the subject, it seems like a good idea but then it would make bows pretty much useless. but it would also put value on the lighter armors and give them use. But it does seem like a good idea, but also a bad one... so, I cant decide

Possibly a good way to compliment these ideas is a new MCMMO skill? One that decreases the loss of hunger, and is trained by sprinting, wearing armour, and fighting?
Maybe an ability could be 'sprint' or similar, whereby you get either 0 hunger loss, or a minor speed effect. (So… two abilities, I suppose.)

P.S. patrickdxs Could you please explain your previous rating?

If you're merely going to agree with Azas, and had nothing constructive to offer, was there any point in rating it, almost a week after all had was said and done?
patrickdxs

If you're merely going to agree with Azas, and had nothing constructive to offer, was there any point in rating it, almost a week after all had was said and done?
patrickdxs

I don't think adding "weight" to armor will make the server any better, as plenty of guards and other organizations need armor to function. Slowing them down or forcing them to lose more hunger bars as they work would just be counter productive. It encourages running away from guards in RP, which I dislike.

patrickdxs, I understand that ratings have uses. But please. I'm somewhat confused as to your thoughts and intentions here; a state that could be fixed with a few quick strokes of your fingers to the keys of your keyboard.

patrickdxs, I understand that ratings have uses. But please. I'm somewhat confused as to your thoughts and intentions here; a state that could be fixed with a few quick strokes of your fingers to the keys of your keyboard.

You mean like I already have?

As for the ratings, it slipped my mind that those posts were so old, I shouldn't have rated them as such.

OldManJ98

I don't think adding "weight" to armor will make the server any better, as plenty of guards and other organizations need armor to function. Slowing them down or forcing them to lose more hunger bars as they work would just be counter productive. It encourages running away from guards in RP, which I dislike.

Why am I Tagged here???

Stop the flaming now please. This is a suggestion thread. If you have a complaint against another user, use the "Report" button. It will then be dealt with promptly.

Gerrior I think I agree with all these ideas so far. Only slight point- how far do we want to deviate from normal survival minecraft? After all, you say that people start out with nothing, but Notch deigned that this was how it should be, all that time ago.
Also, on the same note, there is now a "n00b" quest at uspawn that gives players, i believe a stack each of wood, coal and steak. So for better or for worse, they're not out there with nothing.

Sadly I think the reason as to why so many disliked this thread is because they don't want to change and have a fair fight, they want to run around being nearly invincible and kill everything and everyone. New players no long gain regals when they first log in so they have to go out and venture into the unknown with well nothing. People will still be able to wear Diamond Armour all they like, they just won't be speeding through forests at mach2 while the Leathercrafters can easily evade however when caught cannot escape due to the lack of protection; everything has it's pros and cons.

Maybe even add in some more debuffs and buffs towards races applying these traits that an elf wearing Dia. Armour cannot run and only jump half of what they could without the armour. Meanwhile a Dwarve can gain 0.5% more protection while wearing full diamond armour but being as stocky and short, they cannot move as quickly as other species. I can keep naming things off if people will stand behind and or beside me in this suggestion.

Let me break this down.

1. I have several reasons not to want this change, all of which have nothing to do with being "nearly invincible"
2. New players can do quests for regals, and they also gain starter items to help them out. Furthermore, we shouldn't give the newest players the ability to outrun/beat those who have earned their Diamonds.
3. New players can also join a faction, something that is HIGHLY recommended by the staff.
4. Changing the race plugin for PVP balance is pointless, as the race plugin will be removed and replaced anyway.

You say most people don't want change and a fair fight, I say that people simply don't want to bother with having to be slowed to a crawl when they need to defend their land from raiders. Furthermore, many organizations use armor in their uniforms, approving this would make life for all of these organizations terrible. The guards would be most effected, as they would be no longer as fast as other players, encouraging bad RPer's to run from them.

Plus this entire idea is rendered useless by one thing: Horses. Sure you can make diamond armor wearers slow, but now they will just get on horses and chase the noobs down that way. Furthermore, this entire idea requires modifications to the current plugins, and the making of a whole new plugin. We don't need Cay stopping work on his other plugins to try and balance PVP with this idea that is full of holes.

I'm probably too addicted to TF2, so I see what you mean with the class thing.
I do think that as it is, massivecraft straddles the line between survival games (minecraft) and more class-oriented games (such as TF2 or battlefield), and that this is a question of How much of each is balanced?
That is to say; should it be more class oriented, or more survival?
Personally, I think you have convinced me to say that in this particular case, more class-oriented is probably wiser, due to mechanics already present (minecraft armour) being designed, at the end of the day, for single player (or at least co-op).

Gerrior Mm. I see what you mean.
And I think more uniqueness is almost always a good thing, so...

After a rather long debate...

+1 support!

You still skipped a few things Gerrior

Explain to me how this idea won't piss PVPer's off, and how we can pull this off without having to code a new plugin. Which would take a extremely long time.

Well I am not coder so I have no clue how coding works and it'll only annoy pvpers because they just want to god pvp and be unfairly overpowered.

That's why I don't like this idea mainly. I have coded through Java before, and it is an absolute pain to make a whole new plugin for minecraft from scratch. Plus, pissing off pvpers is not in the interests of the server. You sacrifice fun for "balance" and realism, something the staff do not want to do. Minecraft armor in pvp is fairly balanced already, adding weight values would be trying to fix a mechanic that isn't broken. Think about it like a leveling system, diamond armor/god armor is meant to give the owner a sense of pride in their work. Making all the armor "balanced" would simply make the game worse. How would you feel if your level 80 on a MMO suddenly got pwned by a level 1, because the level 1 was faster than you? That's the question people will ask themselves as noobs who have no armor keep running away and firing arrows at them, slowly killing them even though they have the superior armor and should thus have the advantage.

I think you're missing the point, I have suggested a weight limit unless you keep referring to first add-on idea.

Weight limit idea break down example: Elf Max weight: 35kg. Leather Armour ranges from 1-7kg. Iron Armour range 3-15kg. Gold Armour heavier and etc.

I re read your posts that weren't directed at me, and I have to say there is... Something interesting brewing from that. However, I think the idea your suggesting has already taken form in the Traits plugin.

I support this, but like he said the slowing would be minor if we are going with our original post, not that much, so in aspect it would be more like every 10 or so blocks you would be a block ahead, but lets face it armor although still allowing you to sprint at full sprint, the heavier something the more you slow down even slightly, and plus if you want speed that much brew a couple swiftness potions

I think that ultimately, this (like so many other suggestions) is a nice
Idea in theory, but would simply require too much time and effort for too little gain.

A slight off-topic note now- without meaning to offend anyone- but that, in my opinion, is what makes a mod truly a mod. They actively encourage that you criticise them- in the right way.

Edit: agrees from both people involved! Another home run for eloquence!

Gerrior,
In general, please keep all offensive and unrelated dialogue out of this thread. I'm not going to list exact names simply because you all know who you are.

But then again, on the other hand..there are the weapons. You absolutely cannot run that fast with a diamond sword...SWORD! That is why people had daggers! Fast, easy to conceal and light, but again its mine craft..we don't have a huge variety of weapons. (Unless from voting you a got an item with sharpness enchantment..). Also, stated on the other thread for something like this, there are people who join massive mainly for the purpose of PvP. And you have to admit, we DO have a really nice PvP environment and if we mixed/bordered Role-play and PvP, many of those people who are solely PvPers may get irritated by this.

BUT... reading what Azas said, we could make you lose hunger faster..the heavier the armor/weapons :D I joined another server that was really like, hardcore RP.. Armor weighed you done, you got slowness. If you ran too long without water you got dizzy. Going too long without food made you weak. Going without any food+water made you blind, slow, weak. I mean..they had a long list of things to read to familiarize you with the server lore, plugins, rules, etc etc etc. I tried to play and it completely disinterested me and confused me with it all. (I was new to mine craft and Roleplay..that server totally ruined both of those for me for a few months..)

What this idea could lead to is the actual use of cavalry. If you run too slow walking, you'd want a horse to ride around on. If you look at history, heavily armoured knights didn't run into battle, they rode. And one of the strategies in a battle is to knock them off their horse, where they're vulnerable. I like this weight idea.

Now we need a way to knock people off horses...implementing a chance for arrows, swords, axes, sticks, etc to knock people off (at different percentages of course) but then...All of these ideas and discussions and suggestions.. GREAT! But we need to think about the staff, too! They/Cay has to code this, implement this, and make sure it fits in the server (with all the other plugins). Then, we need to make sure its fair and most players agree with it and like it, thus benefiting the server...lots of things to remember..So Im not suggesting we implement this *it was just sarcasm*

No I am not, the Claymore was a two-handed sword that was designed for strike foes at a longer distance, further more there were swords that weighed more than the claymore. Sure it's hard to believe since we don't use sword but yes, roughly 45lbs.

Ahah... I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously when you say that, because that makes no sense. No person would use a sword that was 45lbs.

No I am not, the Claymore was a two-handed sword that was designed for strike foes at a longer distance, further more there were swords that weighed more than the claymore. Sure it's hard to believe since we don't use sword but yes, roughly 45lbs.
I encourage you to do your research before making such claims
Just how can one respond intelligently when confronted with insistent declarations that swords "had to be heavy" or "weighed 20 pounds?"How best to go about factually refuting such nonsense statements?I have no sure advice. If you directly answer that Medieval and Renaissance swords were light, agile, and typically weighed around three pounds, you can often expect to be met with a certain disbelief and even argument. All that can be done perhaps, is to suggest that the other party may not fully appreciate the true attributes of real swords, that they may have been misled as to the actual weights of historical pieces, that they might consider whether or not they have ever handled sufficient historical examples, and finally, that they might realize historical fighting men trained hard and kept fit. The many types of Medieval and Renaissance swords were versatile, agile, and highly effective weapons that's why they were around for so long in so many forms.
Another good read

Bud, it's called a Great Sword for a reason, it's heavy thus giving it the power and momentum to either slice through or not down a target. Sure you wouldn't understand because you possibly couldn't pick up said heavy object, times were different...

You also need to take off those rose tinted glasses, people in the middle ages weren't monsters who could lift up a 45lbs sword like it was nothing and start swinging it around. Do the research before you start assuming "you possibly couldn't pick up said heavy object".

Status
Not open for further replies.