Archived Replacing Premium With A Pay-to-play System

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandru

oh boy
Reaction score
Faction
Mydthar
TLDR: Remove Premium, and charge for monthly access.
*Hugs flame shield for protection against the incoming storm.*

There have been a lot of people complaining about the Premium system, and how it's supposedly overpowered. Most of them being non-donators. But I'm not gonna take a side here. So here's my suggestion:
Remove premium. Completely. Any players who still have bought premium time should be able to play on the server until their 'fake premium' expires. Start charging 1-3 dollars monthly for access to the server. It'll add up to be more than premium brings in, it will be cheaper for players who wish to support the server, and it'll keep only high quality players on the server.
Now, before you jump to the comments and tell me that people will hate this, why should they pay to play on a server they've never been on, hear this: For one week, and one week only, players will be able to play on the server for free. They will have a tag labeled "Guest" or something like that, but will have all the same privileges as everybody else. Once their time expires, they'll have to pay. Lots of people will hate this at first, but once the dust settles, all the players will have fun. Everyone will have the same perks, and Massivecraft has a definite source of income.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What about all the non-premiums playing? Some of them are very strong parts of our community, and this could shatter them and the community.

You have to consider that many people, including me, are unable to pay such monthly fees. At least with the current payment system. Adding new payment methods (for example paysafecard) would increase the amount of people who purchase premium, a lot.

Still, even more people will complain about this new system than about the current one, for sure. Though I have not heard any complaints about the current premium system in months anyway, to be honest.

What about all the non-premiums playing? Some of them are very strong parts of our community, and this could shatter them and the community.
You have to consider that many people, including me, are unable to pay such monthly fees. At least with the current payment system. Adding new payment methods (for example paysafecard) would increase the amount of people who purchase premium, a lot.

I'll say the same thing I said to Artemis, MiningMac.

Terence, I don't see why more payment methods cannot be added in addition to this.

Initially. But the idea is to make it cheap enough so that everybody can afford it. When that's over, lots more people will come and try out the server, happy that they're equal to the best.
Some people do not have access to accounts like PayPal or credit cards I only did cause I played somebody cash to but me premium on pay pal. Most people on the server are people to young for it or parents do not own it. So you would loose all those and premium is only option if you PvP which this server is more rp based there force having it pay to play would make them loose out and one week is not enough to experience the server.

Some people do not have access to accounts like PayPal or credit cards I only did cause I played somebody cash to but me premium on pay pal. Most people on the server are people to young for it or parents do not own it. So you would loose all those and premium is only option if you PvP which this server is more rp based there force having it pay to play would make them loose out and one week is not enough to experience the server.
Do people complain that they have to pay for Steam games? No, because that's simply how it is. Once everyone gets used to it, it will simply become a fact of life.

People paid to play Minecraft.
So why have them be forced to pay again to play Massivecraft? On Steam, YOU PAY FOR GAMES. NOT SERVERS.

Do people complain that they have to pay for Steam games? No, because that's simply how it is. Once everyone gets used to it, it will simply become a fact of life.
No one will get used to it.. More than half of the server can't pay via the internet unless they get a prepaid visa card. (Like I did.)
So paying online without a paypal account is very inconvenient.

No

I believe staff have previously stated that the server would never be a Pay-To-play server, though even if they did not the simple idea of it is horrid. Even if a one week trial period is given, this will deter a large portion of new players who join, than come back several months later and turn into serious players. There is also the plain fact that a good portion of the community does not have the access to a credit card or Paypal to fund even a 3$ purchase each month.

@The_Last_Miner_1 first of all. Are you kidding me?
Here's my view on this.
Many people on this server are happy to "donate" and get features of premium, and those that don't really only suffer the consequences of being a non-premium - That's just really how it is.
Force EVERYONE to pay, regardless of the price and not only are a VERY LARGE group of people going to leave the server, especially seeing as that Minecraft has MANY servers that we can choose by, you're going to lose majority of your player base.
Besides, I highly doubt anyone's willing to pay once the majority of people leave, and those people that have stayed are basically playing with themselves.

I can only at the end of the day speak for myself, but I would certainly quit.
I mean, I have limited free-time as it is, and I don't ever plan it on spending on "un-needed costs" seeing as I'll be paying for a apartment soon.
If I choose to donate then fine, but I think you're a bit pre-mature to expect everyone to pay xD.

Also, is this even legal? to charge people to join your server, or even use your server? seeing as at the end of the day, MassiveCraft isn't a game of it's own but rather a small extension of Minecraft.

The great thing about MassiveCraft is that we allow anyone to play on our server. If they like what they see, and wish to donate, they can.

If we were to switch to pay to play, we would eliminate every non premium that absolutely cannot afford in any way shape or form to donate, as well as eliminate the people that are currently non premium, but have plans in the future to donate.

This thread seriously screams elitism.

... NONONONONONONONONONONOONNOONONONONONONNOONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
That... Is.. PTW is stupid as is. Putting it on a mine craft server? It's a PTW Whitelist.

People paid to play Minecraft.
So why have them be forced to pay again to play Massivecraft? On Steam, YOU PAY FOR GAMES. NOT SERVERS.
You pay to host a server, you pay to play on a server. I see nothing wrong with this logic.
No

I believe staff have previously stated that the server would never be a Pay-To-play server, though even if they did not the simple idea of it is horrid. Even if a one week trial period is given, this will deter a large portion of new players who join, than come back several months later and turn into serious players. There is also the plain fact that a good portion of the community does not have the access to a credit card or Paypal to fund even a 3$ purchase each month.
A lot of people don't have the money to pay to be able to pvp. Premiums rule everyone with fear. I see nothing wrong with lowering the cost of having fun.
@The_Last_Miner_1 first of all. Are you kidding me?
Here's my view on this.
Many people on this server are happy to "donate" and get features of premium, and those that don't really only suffer the consequences of being a non-premium - That's just really how it is.
Force EVERYONE to pay, regardless of the price and not only are a VERY LARGE group of people going to leave the server, especially seeing as that Minecraft has MANY servers that we can choose by, you're going to lose majority of your player base.
Besides, I highly doubt anyone's willing to pay once the majority of people leave, and those people that have stayed are basically playing with themselves.

I can only at the end of the day speak for myself, but I would certainly quit.
I mean, I have limited free-time as it is, and I don't ever plan it on spending on "un-needed costs" seeing as I'll be paying for a apartment soon.
If I choose to donate then fine, but I think you're a bit pre-mature to expect everyone to pay xD.

Also, is this even legal? to charge people to join your server, or even use your server? seeing as at the end of the day, MassiveCraft isn't a game of it's own but rather a small extension of Minecraft.
Yes, it is legal. I'd suggest looking into Minecraft's terms. (Discluding the EULA, which has been revoked)
The great thing about MassiveCraft is that we allow anyone to play on our server. If they like what they see, and wish to donate, they can.

If we were to switch to pay to play, we would eliminate every non premium that absolutely cannot afford in any way shape or form to donate, as well as eliminate the people that are currently non premium, but have plans in the future to donate.
If they cannot absolutely afford 3$, they shouldn't buy minecraft.
To loosely quote you: "Please do not add to this thread if you do not have something constructive to say."
This thread seriously screams elitism.
How does it 'scream elitism? I am a 'non-premium.' And I believe that everyone on the server should have the same perks.

If someone would actually get off their horse for a second and examine what I've said without an immediate "NO FK OFF" response, that would be appreciated.

This thread makes me rather sad. Just someone looking to lower the amount of money they want to pay without a single care in the world for others.

You pay to host a server, you pay to play on a server. I see nothing wrong with this logic.
I do. On Steam, do you pay to join a PayDay 2 server? Or pay to join a TF2 Mann vs. Machine server? No, you do not. You already paid for the the games {or downloaded free}, so it makes no sense whatsoever to have to pay again. That is like paying for membership to a pool then having to pay to swim. Plus, it costs already a lot to host servers like Massivecraft. My last search for prices of players; 10 dollars for 10 slots. A month. Even if it was just 1 dollar for 1 slot, there is well over a 200 slot opening on Massivecraft. Now he has to pay for it every month.
Also, I am not "NO FK OF"-ing you, I just find this a terrible idea. Sorry.

Care to comment on everything else?
Fact is, make people pay and I bet you & about 30 other players or less will stick around. Which doesn't "add up to be more than premium brings in".
I think before making suggestions like this, you need to bring some pretty solid evidence behind it to convince people. Because at the moment you're stating 'Let's make everyone pay for the server, it's great and will make MassiveCraft lots of money!', but in reality, MassiveCraft would be broke within 6 months.

This thread makes me rather sad. Just someone looking to lower the amount of money they want to pay without a single care in the world for others.
Basically what you're saying is, you want someone to agree with you, or not say anything at all.
I do actually want someone to agree with me, instead of this pig-headed reckless burning of the heretic. And no, I do not wish to simply pay less a month, I want this idea of "RULE EVERY PLAYER ONLY 16.99!" to get lost.
Care to comment on everything else?
Fact is, make people pay and I bet you & about 30 other players or less will stick around. Which doesn't "add up to be more than premium brings in".
I think before making suggestions like this, you need to bring some pretty solid evidence behind it to convince people. Because at the moment you're stating 'Let's make everyone pay for the server, it's great and will make MassiveCraft lots of money!', but in reality, MassiveCraft would be broke within 6 months.
I find it really immature that you're calling what I say rubbish. The fact that you're insulting everything I have stated, instead of taking what I said as a general idea, rude. I'm not saying Massivecraft MUST do EVERYTHING I SAY.

If even. It would lose its profit and gaining almost instantly within the first month. It would be a miracle from every deity or superstition out there if it lasted 6 months.
Agreed. I can see the graph now.
Even from the first week you would see huge drops in profits, and from there people would continuously leave as there's no one around to interact with.
Not sure there's even a possible way to find a new market with this approach either.

Agreed. I can see the graph now.
Even from the first week you would see huge drops in profits, and from there people would continuously leave as there's no one around to interact with.
Not sure there's even a possible way to find a new market with this approach either.
Now you're simply trying to assert dominance over me by bickering at the side. If you want to stoop to that level, I have no objections calling you exactly what you are.

I do actually want someone to agree with me, instead of this pig-headed reckless burning of the heretic. And no, I do not wish to simply pay less a month, I want this idea of "RULE EVERY PLAYER ONLY 16.99!" to get lost.

Well, everyone has unanimously been against this idea, both players and staff, so there's your answer guy. This hissy fit because oh my gosh, people don't agree with my idea, is unnecessary and tactless.

Well, everyone has unanimously been against this idea, both players and staff, so there's your answer guy. This hissy fit because oh my gosh, people don't agree with my idea, is unnecessary and tactless.
If you look to your right, guide members, you will find one of the 'Roleplay Staff' species asserting it's dominance by daring a player to talk back to it, even though the player simply wants to suggest an idea.

I find it really immature that you're calling what I say rubbish. The fact that you're insulting everything I have stated, instead of taking what I said as a general idea, rude. I'm not saying Massivecraft MUST do EVERYTHING I SAY.

"If someone would actually get off their horse for a second and examine what I've said without an immediate "NO FK OFF" response, that would be appreciated." - Rude.

" instead of this pig-headed reckless burning of the heretic." - Rude.

"To loosely quote you: "Please do not add to this thread if you do not have something constructive to say." - Rude.

With all due respect, yes calling it rubbish may be a bit far-fetched, but you're sitting behind a desk calling everyone that disagrees with your point "pig-headed", implying that we are arrogant which is what the saying "Get off your high horse" means, and dis-respecting a Admin of the server.
Not to mention that you're make a huge argument without any evidence to back it up. I think if you were to make a argument like this in any politic setting, justice setting, or hell any other forum, you would probably get the same response.

Overall, I apologise for calling it rubbish, but for a general rule, I would advice another approach.

If you look to your right, guide members, you will find one of the 'Roleplay Staff' species asserting it's dominance by daring a player to talk back to it, even though the player simply wants to suggest an idea.
Guy, do you even know me? I'm like, the chillest person. I'm just saying everyone is against this and you should really stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

"If someone would actually get off their horse for a second and examine what I've said without an immediate "NO FK OFF" response, that would be appreciated." - Rude.

" instead of this pig-headed reckless burning of the heretic." - Rude.

"To loosely quote you: "Please do not add to this thread if you do not have something constructive to say." - Rude.

With all due respect, yes calling it rubbish may be a bit far-fetched, but you're sitting behind a desk calling everyone that disagrees with your point "pig-headed", implying that we are arrogant which is what the saying "Get off your high horse" means, and dis-respecting a Admin of the server.
Not to mention that you're make a huge argument without any evidence to back it up. I think if you were to make a argument like this in any politic setting, justice setting, or hell any other forum, you would probably get the same response.

Overall, I apologise for calling it rubbish, but for a general rule, I would advice another approach.
You know? I'm sorry for trying to help all of you, for trying to just suggest an idea. But no, you stomped on my fucking face, and told me I was wrong, you're wrong! You're wrong! How dare you try and suggest ANYTHING! Why do I even try?

I hate when people have the mentality that people disagreeing is a form of abuse and should not be tolerated...

This is a /horrible/ idea. The amount of players will go down by alot, this will not work out because players like me, can't even pay a dollar really. Heck, I rarely get premium because I usually only get it if I have like, extra money from a holiday and I don't know what to do with it, there's still kids who play this server, and most kids can't pay for prem even. So I just think this will just crash and fail if it was to happen.

If they cannot absolutely afford 3$, they shouldn't buy minecraft.
While my parents were okay with forking over the $20 to pay for the minecraft account itself, I'm sure there are many others like me, whose parents do not see the benefit of using PayPal to pay monthly for a Minecraft server. I find this comment above ignorant of some players plights of being unable to afford premium in the first place, simply because their parents choose that they can't. If your pay-to-play scheme goes along the logic of "Oh they can't afford $3, too bad, how did they afford minecraft?", there is not much hope that massivecraft will last more than 6 months if this was introduced.

no this would make it very terrible I can deal with not having premium but for one EVEN if you did pay for it MANY MANY MANY people would NOT pay for it and just say f it this server has gone bad sooo RP would be destroyed how did this idea even get in your mind?

I hate when people have the mentality that people disagreeing is a form of abuse and should not be tolerated...
No.
This is a /horrible/ idea. The amount of players will go down by alot, this will not work out because players like me, can't even pay a dollar really. Heck, I rarely get premium because I usually only get it if I have like, extra money from a holiday and I don't know what to do with it, there's still kids who play this server, and most kids can't pay for prem even. So I just think this will just crash and fail if it was to happen.
Removing the 'This is a /horrible idea." part, this is a genuine and helpful response. Maybe all of you could take notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.