Implemented Hackusations, Trials & Punishment.

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Violettee, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

did i quit pvp at the right time lol

2. FubeTheMangler

FubeTheMangler Founder of Raptum

Pretty much, unless you don't mind being banned without being shown what you've done.

3. iBeSlurping

iBeSlurping uwu

Totally agree with the post, we need to have solid evidence for his ban, he got banned way to quickly, it has barely been 3 days since he came back and started to grind his stats, he had only pvp’d for lesser than 2 days...

I agree with the thought of having the “SS” system implemented on Massive, i just see much more pros than cons, even if it is possible to bypass screenshares, it doesn’t hurt for staff to actually screenshare the players before banning them, it just makes much more sense for them to do it to have solid evidence before banning the players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Can someone fill me in, isn't screen share the most pointless thing ever since you could just keep a backup of your clean MC installation and restore it before screen share so that you won't show any incriminating content?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. FubeTheMangler

No Marty, as long as the game is keeped open. If they now logg off for example, then sure they can't really deffend themself, that's upon them, but you can't simply remove files in a client that currently is running.

6. MonMarty

Right I didn't think of it that way.

The way I see it in regards to this suggestion: There's other servers who do public ban requests where the whole post made by the person is public and players in the community upvote a ban like it's an imgur post. this has two major downsides for me:
    • It makes public humiliation of a ban part of the punishment and a factor in the rehabilitation of the player.
    • It makes the accusers less likely to step forward in fear of reprisals for their report from the offender's friends.
    I am not inherently against splitting off hackusations and making them their own form, forum section, and a public board for players to review the reported content, and then help the staff decide on the matter with all information. I feel like our PVP community is small enough in order for that to remain very doable with the manpower that we have, and how few hackusations actually make it to the reporting section. That being said, I am afraid of:
    • Reprisals. Many reports in the past have resulted in the reporter being bullied by the offender's friends after they got banned, both in legitimate and illegitimate cases.
    • Players aren't held to a professional standard and can be bribed/change their opinion/vote in whatever way they like without actual reprisals.
    • Maybe player votes will also become the targets of harassment for siding in favor of a report?
    It's a tough case for me. There is nothing tech wise standing in the way of implementing a sort of peer review system, but there's a lot of social issues to be considered. If this is too extreme though, we could consider just doing what OP suggests and opening up evidence for review by the banned player. That being said, this suggestion is equal to OP suggesting we should remove anonymity for player reports, since someone's identity can always be backtracked from the recordings of PVP fights.

That is really what it comes down to. Are we all ready to abandon anonymity in reporting?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. FubeTheMangler

Absolutely I don't think you can keep anonymity. I see where you are comming from, but at same time unless anything is being done more people get ''possibly'' wrongfully punished. Plus I hate people being complete ''Bitches'' about it and can't own up to if they made a report, if you belive your evidence is right to whichever player then you gotta own up towards it. Plus It's absolute impossible to appeal or argue a PvP related ban if the ''evidence'' is just being held by staff and keep saying ''Ooooh but we have gatherd evidence for 3 days''. If It's clear evidence of a person cheating then absolutely great punish them and they know what to write in their appeals ones seen what they've been banned for. Incase you get wrongfully punished you can't do anything, staff just expect you to admit to hacking even if you havent done anything wrong. That's allways been the case to any PvP related bans.

Plus I belive strongly that the PvP community itself as a wholle can judge if someone cheater better than most staff. And no that's not meant as an insult towards staff, I simply think It's a better system with more accurate resualt.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

go check out the pvp council suggestion i made a while ago which 99,999999% of the pvp community agreed on but was turned down for some reason :-)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maytee

Maytee Average Pirate

Seems a-okay to me

10. MonMarty

You didn't really cover any of my concerns besides saying that being harassed because of a report comes with the perks and that the current system isn't satisfactory. I can agree it should be improved, but certainly using intimidating and toxicity to stop reports from being sent in is not something that should be acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

If the client is an external like Vape all it will leave is a few memory strings in a running java client that are constantly being refined by developers and removed

And even then there's simply very few eays for us to access information like that- other servers are able to through their industry connections with developers of Minecraft itself and anticheat developers

12. Tom3409

Tom3409

So you want bans to work the way they do now? How suprising

13. Violettee

Violettee Not Registered

As Fube said, you can /Freeze a player, this would then be followed by a message "Your account was seized and is under investigation. Logging will result in an immediate ban and you will forfeit your right to a defense"

Granted someone could be unlucky enough to have a connection failure in one of these instances or would fail to see the message and log thinking they had bugged out.

Other problems?
    1. They don't have discord and refuse to download it (incl. using the browser version)
    2. They're technically incompetent, in which case I doubt they'd be hacking (but could be faking it)
    3. They don't have a mic (they can still type to you I suppose?)
    4. A lot of people find screen share a bit too intrusive, in which case, there might be other methods or reasons they might offer up explaining their "sketchy" moves. (Such as Winterless Vs Ieso having constant but delayed ping so he's not looking at you when he's landing consistent hits and you're also in 2 different places on each other's screens)
    Honestly, I don't think this method should even be considered for reasons you've already covered. The investigation should be between the staff handling the case, the player who made the claim and the player in question.

Both parties are always going to rally their friends, let them have it out with each other. The difference is the person convicted has no leg to stand on if evidence is laid bare in front of them and they can't give an excuse.

I really want to address this, but this goes beyond my understanding since it's very rare I fear backlash.
    Anyone want to step in here?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  14. Winterless

Never said that, just giving info

15. Winterless

I've been receiving backlash from your entire group for the mere accusation that I was the reporter that got Sirvan banned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

More like it would shut us up and you will be right. The problem is all bans are done behind closed doors and no one can fight a ban. They can only just say they did it and ask for forgiveness which will just be denied and then you come back saying "You admitted to it now so you must be hacking". Its a Lose - Lose for the player even if they are not guilty.

If you show the proof then everyone has to get on with it and the banned player no longer has a leg to stand on. Or if the proof isnt there then we lift the ban off said player and they can continue to keep playing.
    You and him fought then 2 hours later gets banned. If I remember correctly you were removed once for abusing and going into our bases without our permission. And you claim to be the PvP G0D of the server and know everything and anything about hacks so I wonder why...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BlueChaos

BlueChaos Beggar

Honestly, this needs to stop.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  18. MonMarty

You're not really addressing the point. You're quoting it, using some sort of passive aggressive remark, and then expand on how you dislike the current system. Please do not put me in the position of being the "enemy" of this suggestion. I want to be in favor of it, but I am challenging the proponents to provide me with some more compelling content so that I can feel more secure in supporting the change. This isn't about who is right or wrong, it's about me having the need to feel like this won't backfire and cause a terror regime where you can just get away with cheating because reporters become afraid of reprisals. This isn't a point to disprove the usefulness of the suggestion, it's a fear that stops me from outright supporting it, and I am asking to be assured, not to be told that I'm trying to shut you up.

19. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

I dont really understand the need to think hard about this... it seems very simple.

• PVPers need to have a screenshare program like discord. If you do not, then you are presumed guilty should something come up. Discord isnt hard to get, I dont see why thats an issue.
    • If you log out between being accused and providing the screenshare, then you are presumed guilty. IIRC @CS_Birb said he can tell the difference between a connection disconnect and a manual disconnect as far as logs are concerned (but i may be misremembering that)
    • If you dont want to be known as "that guy" who reported somebody? Then dont do it lol. Thats your prerogative to report them. You have to weigh the outcomes in your mind and make a choice.
    Like is it any more complicated than this? Or is there another issue I'm not seeing? I may be misunderstanding this post

• Agree Agree x 2
    #59 Zacatero, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  20. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

I’m not a fan of screensharing. Frankly, I’m not comfortable doing it with some random stranger I met on the internet; I’d rather just take the ban. Plus, there’s the issue of ghost clients as winterless has pointed out.

I do think we should share evidence with the accused. A staff YouTube account for this purpose could be set up with unlisted videos. If the recording staff memeber wants to protect their privacy, they can edit a black box over their chat which will do a reasonable enough job protecting identity, in my opinion. As it is, I have no issue with sharing the recordings I have, it’s just up to game policy, and I’m not game staff.

I don’t feel players should have any say on someone being banned, period. That’s just asking for abuse and people brigading people they don’t like.

Finally, I’d like to say that, despite what some people are implying, or outright saying, sirvan’s ban was not in any way winterless deciding he wanted to ban sirvan because he killed him at kit. Evidence was taken on multiple occasions by multiple pvpers in staff.

21. Violettee

Violettee Not Registered

We just don't like how easy it was to convince staff he was hacking but people such as yourself have passed with flying colours everytime.
    4 of my guys receive bans barely 2 days into your return to staff, what are we supposed to think?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Zacatero

Absolutely. I never can understand the benefit of servers that have public ban forms and ban appeals. However I feel like there should be some way to have a semi-public appeal where you can invite people to vouch for you and provide evidence to your innocence. I agree this system should be improved, it hasnt changed much in the nearly 4 years I've been around. I would argue that the PVP community is considerably more mature than that of 2015.

I mean, the small exception shouldnt be the reason for not doing something. They made bulletproof vests with the full knowledge that you can still get shot in the head. If you dont want to screenshare, I would just say tough toenails. You not being in the mood to screenshare shouldnt be the reason its not implemented as a rule. ily jes dont forget <3

23. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

Here is what I purpose:
    Go through normal ban steps that we have now.
    Then let the evidence that is being brought up known to the player (accused) and let them defend themselves and explain what is going on and why.
    Then if the evidence is still clear and staff is sure that they are hacking/cheating/breaking any rule, they are banned as normal and posted in a separate forum page run by a bot forum account.
    In the case of a video just ask the player to send the video and post it under a Massive youtube account.

Simple easy steps. No one gets flamed since no one knows who is putting out the report.

#63 Kidmodo, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  24. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

Post the evidince and we will stop flaming until then we have to go off with what we know. That Winterless has already gone after us and tried to use his staff to get one over us (and got removed mind you) and that 4 of our players were banned within a few days of him being reappointed. Seems fishy to me now doesnt it

25. MonMarty

How about this:

• We maintain the current procedure.
    • If after the ban either the banned player or anyone else in the community requests the evidence log either in AntiCheat hits or Youtube videos we grant them by direct linking, no hustling with MassiveCraft accounts and attempts to make the video maker anonymous, but we don't publicize anything unless it's a direct PM request from an individual.
    • We create a very strict rule that covers anything we deem "harassment over having reported a player" which will not include war decs or other stuff like that, but mostly snide comments in general chat or on the forums to provoke someone for having reported their friend.
    I still have concerns for anonymity, because even if a video was censored, the banned party could just reveal who the fight was against by looking at the video, no matter where it was uploaded, going off the assumptions most pvp'ers know who they fought and where. That being said, I think I can safely feel like a strict rule enforced that shows we have a 0 tolerance policy against any form of post-report harassment /should/ be sufficient to close the gap.

It's not a perfect solution, but it could work?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

I edited my post a bit to make it better check it out.
    But yes I like the idea, but I think a player should be able to defend themselves first before they get banned.

27. 65jes89

My point was I don’t think it’s fair to subject people to a procedure I wouldn’t be comfortable with, and ban them if they refuse. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

28. MonMarty

You could argue they would get banned already anyway. I feel like if we have enough evidence to ask for screenshare then screenshare is their last resort not to get banned.

29. Winterless

I agree that evidence should be shown

Speculation, whilst I did fight him 2 hours before he was banned, it does not follow that that single fight was the reason he was banned.

Non-sequitur and honestly not that accurate either, I resigned.

I never claim to be the "PvP God" of the server. Braive, Ieso, and Hardname are all capable of beating me pretty easily at KitPvP and factions.

30. MonMarty

Okay. I think a confrontation with the player is possible in between point 1 and 2 of my bullet point above. I would however insist that this player should be easily approachable, either by having a forum account or by being on the Massive Discord. Most of the people who get banned for cheating are random joiners from HCF or minigame servers the "no-names" who essentially never return and don't have a forum account.

31. Winterless

I had nothing to do with three of those bans. Absolutely nothing. I deliberately recused myself from that entire situation because of that very reason.

Staff have taken reports against me pretty seriously in the past, and I have been reviewed by Game staff and Direction multiple times whilst as a player and as a staff member for hacking. You'd have to take that up with them

32. Winterless

I agree

Screensharing is an incredibly easy platform for doxxing people

• Agree Agree x 1
  33. Zacatero

I mean not really... but sure

34. falconhand

falconhand Aieralynian Kingdom

I personally highly dislike screensharing. To be blunt - there's no real reason to allow people to Snoop thru my PC and files. I do, however, agree that the system could be improved.

35. 65jes89

If we’re using it like that, sure, I have no issue with that. Most HCF servers that do a lot of screensharing will freeze and request a screen share the moment you land a single sketchy hit. But if we’re using it as a last resort way to show innocence, I’m all for it.

36. Zacatero

Extremely incorrect. Remote access != screenshare. Screenshare is like when you use Discord to show your screen. To be clear you are not giving access to your computer or files to another person. They just are able to see what you see and you turn it off once you're finished.

37. Altalar

Altalar has Rabies

bruh, I carried out multiple screenshares, we just require players to go through their minecraft files, if you're that paranoid ensure your desktop and anything you don't want us to look at is cleared. The only way there could be any doxxing is if i literally airdropped u my address.

• Like Like x 1
  38. falconhand

Same principle. I wouldn't allow people to share my screen over discord either. Sensitive information can be saved on my computer that I don't really want spread about. And no, before someone memes, it's not inappropriate content.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  39. Zacatero

Once again, I don't feel like you understand whats happening and you are bringing issues in that wouldn't exist. As long as you, the person who controls the screenshare, do not exit Discord or Minecraft and open other windows... nothing else can be seen. So this fear you have is, to put it bluntly, nonexistant in this proposal assuming you don't open up sensitive content, which is 100% on you to not do. Has nothing to do with other people. Perhaps close all unrelated windows? That way nothing is open other than Discord or Minecraft giving you a 0% chance of accidental spreading information.

• Agree Agree x 2
  40. falconhand

I understand exactly what is happening, Zacatero, and I don't appreciate you implying incompetence. The usage of screensharing is largely irrelevant, like Winter said, since it's not particularly hard to hide hacked clients.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.