Implemented Hackusations, Trials & Punishment.

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Violettee, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violettee

Violettee Not Registered

Following Sirvan's ban, the Community has become aware of what they consider to be a flaw in the system and are concerned that the staff are relying on the wrong person’s or one person’s judgement against them in the field, furthermore when you can't even defend yourself because staff won't disclose with the player, the evidence against them.

During his fight with Winterless, Ieso and Edrom, Sirvan states that Winterless made a remark about his CPS. He later found himself banned whilst Dark-rooming, with nothing more to go on than "Cheat Client".

I would like to take this opportunity to say that we're all aware Sirvan's reputation in the past puts him personally at a disadvantage in this case but for the sake of the rest of the community, the system is a threat.

I would also like to point out many players feel the staff aren't aptly trained in spotting the signs of a legitimate hacker.

Players such as Winterless and Ieso have each been "hackusated", with recordings submitted to back up their claims. We feel many of these claims match what would have resulted in a ban on neighbouring servers - but for us was dismissed as being part of a “witch hunt”.

What I’m asking: Instead of a player trying to conjure up evidence after an instance has occurred - When Staff feel they have reason to believe a player is hacking, they should summon the player in question to a meeting as part of their investigation, present the evidence against them or state what they are accused of (Hacked Client - KillAura, Reach, etc) and ask them to explain themselves.

Transparency in this department is vital to combat players claiming Staff bias, ignorance, inexperience or corruption.

Edit: The Account in question should be suspended until a verdict has been reached.

• Agree x 25
    • Winner x 2
    • Immersive x 1
    • Educated x 1
    • Cuddles! x 1
    #1 Violettee, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2019
  2. FubeTheMangler

FubeTheMangler Founder of Raptum

Agree.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Oblivaify

Oblivaify Blood and Fire... Premium

Agree completely. Transparency and due process need to be a part of permanent bans for players to have any faith in the system the staff have in place. Cloak and dagger bans with no context given only serve to further sow discontent and a lack of trust in judgement between players and staff.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

I agree, and for bans like regarding MCMMo (like mob aura or alt abuse) maybe make it a temp ban with a well written warning, if broken then harsher punishments.

Always permanently banning players for minor inconvienence is harming the servers player base(like when you ban a leader/officers, part of a whole faction dies). And if the point of perma bans is to get the player to appeal...then its not a perma ban. perma ban should be used for more severe cases that harm the community ( like ddos or massive lag machine abuse......)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. derpadillo

derpadillo Refugee

How about this would be the case for permbans only. Also, I can see staff having a valid reason to get someone they are confident is doing something bad off the server. If someone is summoned by staff they might be able to do some bad thing in-game before they're able to join up in a voice chat with staff. To fix that and stay with your idea, instead of handing out permbans why not start them all as 3 day bans but the message is something like: get in touch with staff or this will be perm. Then the meeting. Then if the staff keep their decision it become perm otherwise they adjust it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Violettee

Violettee Not Registered

Yeah I agree the ban should still go through initially... sort of like suspending them for further investigation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. poilet66

poilet66 M4ST3R R3N0V8R

Definitely a big issue regarding transparency, I know some servers opt for an ‘SS’ approach where they at least give you a chance to defend yourself beforehand and from what I’ve seen it helps prevent numerous unwarranted bans. I’m not saying it should become mandatory and maybe there’s other ways of achieving the same goal but defending yourself should be an option and that seems to be an easy method of doing so even if it’s just choice on the ‘offendants’ behalf.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

incomming deleted post within an hour

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
  9. onearmsquid

onearmsquid Dragon of Semperis Supremium

I agree, many other servers do this and it's very successful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Morbytogan

Morbytogan King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire Supremium

big agree

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

removed from staff now

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

Free @mdjayy

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

yer banned bud

14. onearmsquid

Let's keep this on tonight shall we.

15. Togal

Togal Combat Engineer

Agreed, I feel he was banned way to fast and there was no evidence. It would be more fair if they showed proof.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Entityze

Entityze Straight outta DBD

Agreed, even though Sirvan has hacked multipule times in the past and the fact that he was hacking was more than likely evidence of him hacking should still be shown so it doesn't cause drama like this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FubeTheMangler

And some staff have been previous hackers, dosen't change the fact that they can become staff. Same arguement.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

See the problem here is how fast it was done and how little evidence that could have been gathered. I once reported a player that was clearly using autopot,killaura, and other hacks but didnt get banned for 3 weeks even though I posted 3 videos on the report page. But Sirvan gets hit in 2 hours after a fight with a certain player.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Entityze

Theres always the chance that staff could've been gathering evidence way before he was banned aswell, if he was hacking who knows how long he has been hacking for. Hell he could've been hacking since he rejoined the server for all we know, but again since staff wont show any of the evidence they gathered we really wont know anything about it other than "He was hacking so we banned"

20. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

The process was over multiple days, and evidence was gathered through fights with multiple players.

But on the whole, I agree with this idea, if only so that I am given authorisation to release the evidence that was collected so that certain players can stop harassing me in game and on discord about my ability to detect and record hackers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Winterless

ScreenShare is becoming an increasingly outdated method of determining a player's innocence, mostly because of how complex hacked clients and ghost clients are becoming in terms of their ability to obfuscate their presence to the screensharer.

22. Entityze

It might become outdated but its still better than going off of gameplay alone to determine if a person is truly hacking or not

• Agree Agree x 6
  23. Togal

Togal Combat Engineer

Screen sharing files, its still done and its still successful.

24. Togal

Togal Combat Engineer

Multiple days, Sirvan had didnt even play long. With that amount of time of engagement you cant just shoot at them. if you had evidence then show it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Kidmodo

Kidmodo Slave of Raptum

Then I ask what happened to the roughly 10 videos we have that never got answered? I posted one just to see how long it would be before anyone even answered it, damn near 3 months and it just got marked as Handled. Nothing was said, no questions asked. Just said handled and swept under the floor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. onearmsquid

All I can say to this is that the investigation spanned over multiple days and included many staff members, including those who PvP quite often and know what they are looking for.

And the topic of this thread is the changing the method of how staff handle hacked client users and not if sirvans ban was incorrect

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Pilotos

Pilotos Traveler

While we're on the subject, it's probably a good idea to rename "permanent bans" into something else. How often do people appeal right afterwards only to get unbanned within two months or less. The only cases where people actually get perma'd are if they have committed a crime, or something similar.

Also remember this wiki page? https://wiki.massivecraft.com/Massive_Rules
    Yeah, it still needs improving, not for the sake of banned players, but for players that want to understand bannable offenses better.

"Do not troll, harass, or bully other players in any chat channel. PvP chat is no exception to this rule."

"Do not attack staff for enforcing rules, issuing punishments, or implementing changes to gameplay."

"Do not engage in political, religious, sensitive, or inappropriate topics in public channels."

- Yeah obviously, but these lines are open to too many interpretations, and no punishments for these are ever uniform. What constitutes the difference between a comment that warrants a warn and one a mute? If a person is warned does this last for an hour, a day, a week, a month? When someone is muted, should they expect a warn beforehand?

Also one more thing:
    "Do not use a glitch to your advantage, and report any glitches you find."

Although most people understand that enderpearls can fit through stair holes and slab holes, unaware individuals quite easily jump to conclusions. For the benefit of everyone just make this distinction, perhaps add an image as well.

28. Winterless

Could find more videos but I think I've proved my point. You could try and find the old PhaseClan videos, but I think they got taken down. That dude's channel was literally DEDICATED to bypassing anticheat and screenshares on servers far more versed in screensharing than on Massive.

And it comes down to quite simple logic really- players and cheat developers know that screenshare is one of the ways that servers will use to determine if a player is cheating or not, alongside a server-side anticheat (which hacked clients have thoroughly managed to bypass for the last like 3 years without much issue). Knowing that screenshare is a major part of a server's ability to ban people, hacked client developers are obviously going to invest HEAVILY into countermeasures designed to stop their clients being caught through screenshare. This is the entire reason why features like Self Destruct exist on hacked clients. Couple that with CCleaner, or any similar program, and it's incredibly easy to delete any trace that a hacked client was ever on your computer.

Vape v3 costs 30 dollars for lifetime, or 10 dollars a month for "Vape Lite" (i.e. the one that makes it incredibly easy to bypass screenshare). Despite a steep price tag, Vape is INCREDIBLY successful. This wouldn't be the case if Screenshare was the godsend that people think it is.

And Vape is most certainly NOT the only client with these features.

29. Winterless

This is untrue when they can give contradictory results. If someone is clearly using 3.8 reach and 0.7 velocity, and screenshare reveals that they have no client on their computer, what are you going to do?

30. Togal

Togal Combat Engineer

Well if screen sharing isn't that viable at least show proof of their hacks before you drop the ban hammer, its easy for you to record stuff isn't much of a problem at all judging by the pvp videos you upload. I believe if a player gets banned it should be made public or at least allow the public to see the reason. We want it shown to us in black and white. Record a video, it allows us to see the truth and if their hacking and would put shame on the person hacking. It also allows us to better analyze the situation by repeating. If theres nothing to hide then you wouldnt be worried by showing a tad bit of evidence...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  31. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

you sure do know alot about hacking sir, have you studied it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Immersive Immersive x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  32. FubeTheMangler

Alot of research ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  33. Chappers

Chappers Refugee

Is Vape a "cheat client"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  34. Maytee

Maytee Average Pirate

That's like arguing that you shouldn't use a condom because theirs a chance that you may get pregnant lol.

The large majority of banned players on MassiveCraft are known cheaters, using SS to determine if a player is cheating would help the staff team substantially.

• Agree Agree x 3
  35. Winterless

I agree

I agree

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  36. Winterless

That's implying that screenshare is 99.7% effective at catching cheaters like a condom is at contraception.

Whilst I don't disagree that screenshare could be useful, it should absolutely not be the primary source of determining a player's innocence. It's far too easy to hide from screenshare with a proper client, and any admin on a major 1.7 server will tell you this.

37. Maytee

Maytee Average Pirate

It really isn't, cheaters on MassiveCraft have never had to hide their cheats, the likelihood of a PvP'er using a ghost client for 3.8 reach & 0.7 velocity on MassiveCraft is next to none.

I'm not saying that that scenario isn't possible but you never toss out a whole box of apples because just one of them went bad.

38. Winterless

That statement is becoming less and less true every day since ghost clients are slowly replacing hacked clients, but regardless I agree that screensharing should definitely be a part of massive's process in regards to hackers

But you'd have to find training somewhere, and I don't know where you'd get that

39. Maytee

Maytee Average Pirate

You can say that about any piece of technology but ok

40. Winterless

Sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.