Archived Custom Textures For Renamed Items

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

FireFan96

A miserable little pile of secrets
Staff member
Lore
Reaction score
Faction
Drachovia
So a while back, I mentioned that one can replace a weapon's texture at a certain durability in the new MC versions. Essentially if you had an iron that was at 50%, it could change into something else, like an iron spear. This would remain the texture for that durability.

Only problem, we love to hit things. And use weapons on them. One wrong hit, and that durability goes from 50% to 49%, reverting the texture. So I figured the idea was scrapped. Until today.

Looking at my YouTube feed, I noticed a certain video, which eventually led to this gold mine of possibilities in the next Massive resource pack:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/itembound-16x

To put it simply, the textures are attached to a name and a given item. All you need to do to get the texture is to rename the item in an anvil.

Example: I put and iron sword in an anvil. I rename it "iron spear." the texture now looks like an iron spear, and now I can pretend my iron sword is a spear when I play MC.

So, why do I bring this up?

The RP community could immensely benefit from using this method in the next resource pack. If someone walks around with a halberd, we have to guess based on the item texture, or they have to emote. While this is fine, it would be 1000% more immersive to have the actual halberd texture shown. Then everyone can react to the player with a halberd instead of the few ho bothered to read the emote.

I'm not gonna lie, this would be a massive undertaking to implement (no pun intended). But I think the end result would be a great addition to the server.

I know I mentioned this benefiting RP more, but I believe survivalists would love to have another collection to store in their faction.

Comment below your opinions.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Where're the textures comin from

Last I checked the Massive Texture T m C R was not really made in house, but kinda hodge podged ram shackled together with some neato edits here and there

Where're the textures comin from

Last I checked the Massive Texture T m C R was not really made in house, but kinda hodge podged ram shackled together with some neato edits here and there
That basically answers the question. Find some textures that look good, ask the pack creators for permission, then tweak and put them in the pack. Or make them from scratch, though this one is probably more time consuming.

This would be soooo useful! I would recommend making the items relative to default textures though.

EI: Iron Shovel named "Iron Spear" becomes an Iron Spear. Since players use shovels to represent Spears, Maces, Glaives, etc. Then Iron Axe names "Iron Hammer" looks like a hammer, or "Halberd" looks like a halberd, etc.

As long as it is only for the visuals ( and not any added functionality), I am in favor of this method in comparison to the normal durability based system minecraft has to offer.

For reference, if anyone wants to look into this:
https://bitbucket.org/prupe/mcpatcher/wiki/Custom_Item_Textures

This is a feature that was inside of MC-patcher for quite some time. That means, only people using optifine would see it.
I have no statistics on how many percentage use our texture pack and neither of how many percent within those who use our texture pack use optifine.

My guess is quite an arguably large amount, but as said, those are only guesses.

So at the expense that not everyone could see it, this is by far the easiest method I have come across so far to re-texture items. It would even allow us to give the lore items special textures that only the lore items have :).

But as mentioned, this is a huge pile of work.

I would be willing to try and make some textures if needed. I love medieval weaponry so it would be fun.

I am in no position to assign any work in that regard. You might want to have a word with MonMarty who is (afaik) the creative lead of the Ressource-Pack.

If I hear that we are interested in contributions from the community, I will let you know.

So a while back, I mentioned that one can replace a weapon's texture at a certain durability in the new MC versions. Essentially if you had an iron that was at 50%, it could change into something else, like an iron spear. This would remain the texture for that durability.

Only problem, we love to hit things. And use weapons on them. One wrong hit, and that durability goes from 50% to 49%, reverting the texture. So I figured the idea was scrapped. Until today.

Looking at my YouTube feed, I noticed a certain video, which eventually led to this gold mine of possibilities in the next Massive resource pack:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/itembound-16x

To put it simply, the textures are attached to a name and a given item. All you need to do to get the texture is to rename the item in an anvil.

Example: I put and iron sword in an anvil. I rename it "iron spear." the texture now looks like an iron spear, and now I can pretend my iron sword is a spear when I play MC.

So, why do I bring this up?

The RP community could immensely benefit from using this method in the next resource pack. If someone walks around with a halberd, we have to guess based on the item texture, or they have to emote. While this is fine, it would be 1000% more immersive to have the actual halberd texture shown. Then everyone can react to the player with a halberd instead of the few ho bothered to read the emote.

I'm not gonna lie, this would be a massive undertaking to implement (no pun intended). But I think the end result would be a great addition to the server.

I know I mentioned this benefiting RP more, but I believe survivalists would love to have another collection to store in their faction.

Comment below your opinions.
This would be amazing for premium, 100% would make me feel better about donating.

Noted as a feature suggestion, though any additional changes/updates to the resource pack (aside from necessary updates for new minecraft versions) are low priority at the moment.

LOVE THIS IDEA! I have a bit of experience with texturepacking and custom modelling and would LOVE to give my help in making this in any way I can help! @Omnomivore I am sure a bunch of people would come out of the woodworks to help!