Archived And End? To Griefing? Is That Even Possible?

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eucindiel

Keeper of the Forest
Reaction score
Faction
Evedor
OK... a particular grief got my attention, got me thinking and provided me with a solution that I think will make the entire server leaps and bounds more harmonious and lead to much less work for the admins.

This sort of grief wouldn't normally be considered griefing but watch the WHOLE video below before you make ANY assumptions.

Don't discount it after the 30 seconds because you think you've seen it - the admin following me last night made the same mistake... by the end of the journey he was saying "this is f@*cking ridiculous please post this on the forums, something has to be done about this"… you won't fully understand the scale of it until you've seen it all - trust me:

STILL READING! Have you watched the WHOLE movie yet? Why are you reading on? For Christ's sake go back and watch the WHOLE thing trust me.

Finished? Good.

BTW - Locations are in the Hawkeye info shown during a second MUCH LONGER video if you're interested (don't bother if you don't wanna sit through 9 mins)…. link here:

OK… Now the solution:

Imagine: This guy has managed to do ALL of this in a couple of hours across a couple of days? He said he was "just levelling up". Imagine what he could do in months… In fact this player has been around for over a year - it is entirely possible that HE is solely personally responsible for at least one of the maps being decommissioned all by himself. I personally think he should be forced to repair every single bloody bit of it until he has learned his lesson… but I digress.

This simple act has much deeper implications right through to the core of server policy and brings us an opportunity to make some tough decisions about its longevity. I know Cay and the team have made excellent changes along the way to try to minimise this issue:

- Newer maps have a restore function
- Regalia is totally non-editable
- Wilderness is a fair walk away

THE ANSWER:

You are right in thinking Noobs will ALWAYS get on, run around for an hour, chop the trees, cobble tower up the hillsides and then disappear never to return. This is why having the first landing world (Regalia) as non editable is so clever (a master stroke Cay) because the REALLY stupid Noobs (the ones who coincidentally do the most damage) leave before they even realise there is more than one world - that is a good thing - a sort of "loser filter".

But there are two simple steps missing:

[EDIT: Here is a draft proposal diagram that, with your feedback, we can evolve into a workable solution - e.g. "one boat" at Regalia dock would look pretty weird - working on it (with your help)]

Diagram.jpg

STEP 1 - we have this already - Arrive in Regalia - non-editable

STEP 2 - WE NEED THIS - a buffer world (lets call it Anarcadia) between Regalia and the other worlds. Only one boat out of Regalia - Anarcadia is where it goes to:
  • Spawn point in the heart of the island with signs saying "dig and grief to your hearts content you fools".
  • Massive wilderness with EVERYTHING anyone might want to dig/chop/mine etc (sand, clay, emerald... you name it).
  • A Port town with boats to the other worlds just a short walk from spawn (on the south shore).
  • This map gets reset every 3 months - signs at spawn are clear on this and it is a regular server broadcast and listed on the massive website.
  • Yes, Noobs will still build there but they can't say they weren't warned.
STEP 3 - WE NEED THIS - a few new 'locked' worlds where people have to claim an area to build in it - "claim to edit" if you will (Thanks Mecharic):
  • Fixes the Griefing syndrome - no question.
  • MASSIVE reduction in workload for the Admins (no griefing to clean up).
  • Increased economic activity (factions need to trade to make money so they can claim that land for the road they want to build).
  • Everybody happy.
  • World peace.
  • Victoria Secret girlfriends for everyone.
Yes… Greifers will always grief - no whitelist equals less control over that... but if someone doesn't change the non-sustainable nature of the practices here the server will forever be cursed when premiums get on, build their empires, have their world eventually wiped and leave forever in disgust. Sustainable worlds (among other things) lead to sustainable paying clients for the server - simples.

An attitude exists which is not too far from "oh well - this happens - griefers gonna grief - each world in turn will eventually becomes so griefed that it too will be taken down".

That is Bull-shiatsu!

That is weak lazy thinking.

There is always a better way. It won't happen in a heartbeat - server policy takes years to evolve.

[EDIT: We've paid out on Bling enough now also - lets move on to finding the solution guys]

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for all of the support guys - let's not worry too much about the persecution of Bling - he did what he did and hopefully has learnt from his error. The purpose of this thread was to workshop a solution... which I feel we are moving towards quite rapidly. Unfortunately I have a lot of functions this weekend... bloody clients wanting to wine and dine me - what a burden ;) but I intend to see this concept matured to a point where it is:
  • as seamless as possible
  • a relatively simple reshuffle of the existing so it doesn't take much for the Mods to implement
  • doesn't require heaps of server architecture
  • isn't restrictive to gameplay
  • redirects noob traffic to a more 'dispensable' world
  • and most importantly gives players a CHOICE to continue on as before in editable worlds or move to a trial "claim to edit" world that we can set up as a tester

It may take a week or two of workshopping but I'm confident we are already a lot of the way there.

OK... a particular grief got my attention, got me thinking and provided me with a solution that I think will make the entire server leaps and bounds more harmonious and lead to much less work for the admins.

This sort of grief wouldn't normally be considered griefing but watch the WHOLE video below before you make ANY assumptions.

Don't discount it after the 30 seconds because you think you've seen it - the admin following me last night made the same mistake... by the end of the journey he was saying "this is f@*cking ridiculous please post this on the forums, something has to be done about this"… you won't fully understand the scale of it until you've seen it all - trust me:

STILL READING! Have you watched the WHOLE movie yet? Why are you reading on? For Christ's sake go back and watch the WHOLE thing trust me.

Finished? Good.

BTW - Locations are in the Hawkeye info shown during a second MUCH LONGER video if you're interested (don't bother if you don't wanna sit through 9 mins)…. link here:

OK… Now the solution:

Imagine: This guy has managed to do ALL of this in a couple of hours across a couple of days? He said he was "just levelling up". Imagine what he could do in months… In fact this player has been around for over a year - it is entirely possible that HE is solely personally responsible for at least one of the maps being decommissioned all by himself. I personally think he should be forced to repair every single bloody bit of it until he has learned his lesson… but I digress.

This simple act has much deeper implications right through to the core of server policy and brings us an opportunity to make some tough decisions about its longevity. I know Cay and the team have made excellent changes along the way to try to minimise this issue:

- Newer maps have a restore function
- Regalia is totally non-editable
- Wilderness is a fair walk away

THE ANSWER:

You are right in thinking Noobs will ALWAYS get on, run around for an hour, chop the trees, cobble tower up the hillsides and then disappear never to return. This is why having the first landing world (Regalia) as non editable is so clever (a master stroke Cay) because the REALLY stupid Noobs (the ones who coincidentally do the most damage) leave before they even realise there is more than one world - that is a good thing - a sort of "loser filter".

But there are two simple steps missing:

[EDIT: Here is a draft proposal diagram that, with your feedback, we can evolve into a workable solution - e.g. "one boat" at Regalia dock would look pretty weird - working on it (with your help)]

View attachment 16003

STEP 1 - we have this already - Arrive in Regalia - non-editable

STEP 2 - WE NEED THIS - a buffer world (lets call it Anarcadia) between Regalia and the other worlds. Only one boat out of Regalia - Anarcadia is where it goes to:
  • Spawn point in the heart of the island with signs saying "dig and grief to your hearts content you fools".
  • Massive wilderness with EVERYTHING anyone might want to dig/chop/mine etc (sand, clay, emerald... you name it).
  • A Port town with boats to the other worlds just a short walk from spawn (on the south shore).
  • This map gets reset every 3 months - signs at spawn are clear on this and it is a regular server broadcast and listed on the massive website.
  • Yes, Noobs will still build there but they can't say they weren't warned.
STEP 3 - WE NEED THIS - a few new 'locked' worlds where people have to claim an area to build in it - "claim to edit" if you will (Thanks Mecharic):

• Fixes the Griefing syndrome - no question.
  • MASSIVE reduction in workload for the Admins (no griefing to clean up).
  • Increased economic activity (factions need to trade to make money so they can claim that land for the road they want to build).
  • Everybody happy.
  • World peace.
  • Victoria Secret girlfriends for everyone.
Yes… Greifers will always grief - no whitelist equals less control over that... but if someone doesn't change the non-sustainable nature of the practices here the server will forever be cursed when premiums get on, build their empires, have their world eventually wiped and leave forever in disgust. Sustainable worlds (among other things) lead to sustainable paying clients for the server - simples.

An attitude exists which is not too far from "oh well - this happens - griefers gonna grief - each world in turn will eventually becomes so griefed that it too will be taken down".

That is Bull-shiatsu!

That is weak lazy thinking.

There is always a better way. It won't happen in a heartbeat - server policy takes years to evolve.

[EDIT: We've paid out on Bling enough now also - lets move on to finding the solution guys]

i chose daendroc because this map is bearly used and thing is. If you knew anything about mcmmo You would know that you cannot gain mcmmo xp for excavation if it is a placed block by a player so at u said it was prestine which btw if u walk around the wild of daendroc I can assure you that this world is griefed to the max and looks much like cerdia and when I asked a mod on where to lvl excavation they told me daendroc is my best bet.

Jesus christ, this was Daendroc? Get him out of here. There are rules saying not to grief anywhere if you haven't noticed. Why does it matter if Daendroc gets removed? Hundreds of players still live there and it contains the entire city of Sanctus, which I think is by far the most beautiful city in Massivecraft is there. If I just walked into Magnanimus's god awful base and deleted the chunks there because some people punched dirt near there the biggest shit fit the server has ever seen would ignite. Sanctus has at least twenty or probably closer to one hundred times the hours put into it than anything anyone in Magnanimus has ever built. Ever. So next time you and any your friends choose a world in order to waste your lives hitting blocks to get a higher number next to your names, don't choose Daendroc, you're destroying hundreds of hours of work, hundreds of players homes, and countless parts of Massivecraft's history.

Being one of the original builders of the Magnanimus you see now, I take offense to this entire comment. While our base might not be as elegant as that of Sanctus, it still took effort to build our base, one I think looks damn good and I'm proud of it.

I was called out to the scene, and at first I was just like 'Oh well, it's just someone grinding their excavation' but as I went along that thought soon turned into 'Right, this is just -insert swear word here- ridiculous.' Because it is, this really is unacceptable:
  • The land was still in use although it did not have a claim.
  • The digging was not neat, it was just all over the place. It looked like a meteor had struck the area.
  • And there was not a single effort made to attempt to fix it up.
Desmonster told me that he spent months restoring that land, and for what? Just so some MCMMO hungry person wielding a diamond shovel may come and wreck months of work.

If you want to grind excavation you may go to one of the new worlds, with the regeneration feature. Dig up nicely in chunks and then create a ticket for a Rank 3 member to come regenerate it for you. A lot of people do this, so I don't see why you need to tear up Daendroc.
I didn't know that the Restore feature is only in new worlds for the first thing. Second, if he really spent that time, I wouldn't have been able to lvl my excavation. Players cant gain lvls from player placed blocks.

xXBlingXx I don't care how offensive I am being, from you have done and said, I have a few things to say.
1. You treat people who are GOOD like desmonster as though a servant to your skill
2. You are a giant prick to a good amount of the community
3. You Don't. Think.

xXBlingXx couldn't you have done it underground? I don't want to insult anyone, but I do my excavation underground to preserve the landscape, if you did the same you'd get definite MCMMO level due to there being no worry of "restored" land, which desmonster did a good job on. :) , It'd be a win win situation, I suggest you maybe apologize to desmonster and maybe offer to restore the land and then you could call it even? Then next time when you need to level you can find a cavern and dig out the dirt, I got from 200 to 250 excavation from 1 dirt mound that just kept going. :)

i chose daendroc because this map is bearly used and thing is. If you knew anything about mcmmo You would know that you cannot gain mcmmo xp for excavation if it is a placed block by a player so at u said it was prestine which btw if u walk around the wild of daendroc I can assure you that this world is griefed to the max and looks much like cerdia and when I asked a mod on where to lvl excavation they told me daendroc is my best bet.

You can't redeem mass griefing the wilderness. You still did it. When the mod said to level it in Daendroc, he didn't mean make Daendroc look like a bomb just exploded. You just have to learn how to think before you act.

@than04tank we don't need to torture him, just get our point across...
Even if he doesn't care to listen enough.

Lol this guy... This was how they used to have it. so your plan is flawed. they would have not removed it if it were a good working thing before.

Bling my apologies for 'naming names' here - really I was trying to workshop a solution but I suppose you reap what you sew. Hopefully you've got the point. As for your criticism of the plan I'm trying to develop - can you be a little more concrete and less generalised - think of what particular aspect may not function well and name it otherwise I'm going to dismiss your comment as a sort of "I don't like" it comment - not worthy of response.

Is it bad to say that I find this thread completely pointless...? I honestly don't see real plans to fix Daendroc in this thread. In my opinion, this thread is more of a "I hate you" Thread directed at xXBlingXx. For example, this post made by ToxicLord
"2. You are a giant prick to a good amount of the community
3. You Don't. Think."

Is it bad to say that I find this thread completely pointless...? I honestly don't see real plans to fix Daendroc in this thread. In my opinion, this thread is more of a "I hate you" Thread directed at xXBlingXx. For example, this post made by ToxicLord
"2. You are a giant prick to a good amount of the community
3. You Don't. Think."

What? You don't see that half of these posts are asking for a solution to stop this from happening again?

I think more effort is being put into personal attacks against Bling rather than actually trying to constructively bring forth a solution to the issue.

What? You don't see that half of these posts are asking for a solution to stop this from happening again?

I see some solutions here and there(As you state, HALF of the posts), but this thread is mainly just a big shit fest aimed at Bling. While it was intended to be a thread for fixing the problem of griefing.

I think more effort is being put into personal attacks against Bling rather than actually trying to constructively bring forth a solution to the issue.

While that is true, he really does deserve some kind of punishment for this.

That's up to the staff and not a decision made by the community. Although I do agree that this is ridiculous, this thread should not be just flaming remarks aimed at Bling.

There is at least some constructive suggestions from some people on the thread, why not focus on those instead of the so called "Flame"?

Please keep the personal insulting to xXBlingXx to a minimum. I had removed my offensive content and I suggest that you all should do the same.

Let's not point fingers here; I bet all of us had or will do it at some point. Now, let's be constructive and see how we can fix this ongoing issue, or warnings will be given.

~ Imboring56, Your Friendly Neighborhood Forum Mod

Since people cant keep to the forum rules on this thread and has made it all about hate against a single player i am locking and removing this thread. The creator can make a new one without the added hate against players. Ban requests are to be kept on ban requests not in feature and idea discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.