World Progression For Early-june 2016

Discussion in 'Progression Events' started by MonMarty, Jun 2, 2016.

1. NChulingeth

NChulingeth Meemay. Premium

Lucas sat in his poor district house, glad to have escaped and stayed out of the sewers before this happened, he simply started off on his daily routine, completely unaffected by this event.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Iv been planning on it but there isn't really a section on the forums to make a post about it. Any suggestions with which staff to go to?

3. Silent_Ruler

Silent_Ruler Scrapper.

Start a conversation with any of the lore 3s. Such as @MonMarty, who wrote this progression in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jouster

Jouster stutterer

rest in peace 4 the fallen ones

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. trent_rouls

trent_rouls That Red Haired Nerd. Staff Member Lore2

Burn them all
    image.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rinus

Rinus Weirdo Snake

..Why are people against some sort of rebellion springing up from this? Like, I'm pretty sure in most places if you kill of the poorest people in society there's going to be at least some form of outcry, unless there's a huge, huge, huge divide between the rich and poor, or the middle class are impressively brainwashed. Some people in the poor district at least probably knew sewer dwellers that were killed in the purge, and probably also knew that there were families living peacefully in the sewers.
    Also, Regalia is at war, so this would logically be the perfect time for someone to start a rebellion anyway if they had been planning one, and this could easily be the event that a rebel leader(even if they themselves didn't care and only wanted a rebellion for their own gain) could use as a catalyst to get the public, or at least the peasants, on their side.

In any case, as seen by the 1916 Rising in Ireland, a rebellion doesn't need a large amount of men behind it to take place. The Rising was actually a huge disaster for the rebels because they were very, very outnumbered, but it still served to change Irish society forever. Actually if a rebellion took place now you could probably draw a few comparisons between it and the Rising.

TL;DR, It's unlikely there wouldn't be some political outcry imo, and a rebellion could easily take place, even if its not successful.

Side-note, I actually don't see what the point of this was if not to start some form of movement/outcry in Regalia. Was it just "kill the poorest npcs just because" or something? Was it an actual IG event that I missed even?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KrakenLord01

KrakenLord01 That Guy

There's always been hatred or reluctance for rebellions by veteran RPers, as there has never been an organized, thought out rebellion by players. In fact, only two "rebellions" have managed to work, both of which were by staff members.
    There's also an emphasis on the fact that Regalia is a powerful military state, which in theory would make a rebellion highly difficult, if not impossible, to pull off.

9. Arendan

Arendan didn't see graphite

Medieval revolts were actually usually peasants far away from the capital or powerful lords rebelling.
    Ireland is a very bad comparison considering the socio-economic differences between it and Regalia. Its more akin to London rebelling against England. Sure there is the French Revolution, but those are hundreds of years after the medieval times, people in the middle ages simply weren't that enlightened and did not have access to the means to stage a proper uprising from the bottom of society.

However, I still feel that there the people who want to rise up should be ridiculed, there are a lot of things players can do to sabotage the government and work against it which can create interesting roleplay, and I do believe that people are feeling too strongly OOCly about both sides of the matter, let roleplay be roleplay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rinus

Rinus Weirdo Snake

Regalia can hardly be considered medieval. Quite a lot of the technology in Regalia such as airships and hot air balloons are post-Georgian inventions, the buildings are closer to Renaissance and the level of educated citizens is also much higher than a typically "medieval" time period. You can't actually date Regalia to any time period on Earth because it's basically a mix of everything from about the Dark Ages to the Industrial Revolution. I don't find it hard to believe that some of the ideals of the Englightenment could exist in Regalia.

Regalia is a miltarised state that has been involved in a lot of wars over the past 3ish years and is currently at war again. The military and economy would probably be slightly weakened at least at this point and quite a lot of troops would be fighting in the current war anyways, making it the best possible time for a revolution from a rebel's point of view. And, as I stated, a rebellion doesn't have to be succesful for it to occur. While I know Ireland is not the same thing, it does have a long history of rebellions that failed but still brought about social change, such as the 1798 rebllion, the Fenians and the Rising. Obviously change on the scale of the French Revolution or even the Rising would probably not occur, but it would be interesting if some changes were made after a smaller, unsuccesful rebellion happened.

I think it should also be pointed out that staff are players. They aren't some higher rank. Sure, they can make buildings and places for the rebellion to start, but just because you aren't a ranked player, doesn't mean you can't try and build some form of rebellion if you just go about it in the right way. As a "veteran roleplayer" who has been on this server for three years and has roleplayed for the best part of 2 and 3/4s of them, I really support a rebellion happening. I feel like Regalia's "strength-to-strength we are the good guys everyone supports us lets conquer and smash every nation and feel little to no repurcussions after the war is over" form of "progression" has become somewhat monotonous and I'd like an anti-state organisation of some form to change everything up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #50 Rinus, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Rinus

Rinus Weirdo Snake

Also, just to add to this: Large scale peasant's revolts did happen. In fact a large scale peasants revolt of london against England happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants'_Revolt Yes, it didn't work, as most rebellions don't, but still had economic and societal effects on England.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Arendan

Arendan didn't see graphite

That I what I said, revolts came from territories from territories against the capital . Regalia -is- the capital

13. xSketchedCrystal

xSketchedCrystal dead

Aloria/Binral does not have a set date in our world. Heck, it could be thousands of years ahead of us but has just progressed differently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TutiDias

TutiDias General Vladislav Marknid

I find it strange how peasants know how to count in regalia. All peasants in medieval times didn't know how to count or which is the left and which is the right. In regalia everyone knows how to read and write but in medieval times only members of the church knew and some realy rich and powerful nobles.

15. KrakenLord01

KrakenLord01 That Guy

You also have to remember that Regalia has no set time period. True, it isn't modern day, but not everything is dead set in the medieval times.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChensSpaghetti

ChensSpaghetti Space Cowboy

Not to mention, society isn't pinned down too much either. Normally women were baby machines in medieval times. They can be active in politics, join guard charters, etc. Things are different. It's also much more convenient for roleplay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Doc_Cantankerous

Doc_Cantankerous Second Foundationer

Just going to put in my two regals here and say that you can't give Regalia a time period, or at least expect people to exist within a time limit because no one /wants/ to make a backwater peasant character. Historical accuracy isn't 100% in any rate, especially when you introduce things like magic, which throw EVERYTHING out the window. Why would we need a steam engine when you can just have fire mages power machines? Why hasn't vampirism been universally cured (Yes people, vampirism is a disease, not a 'race' of people. that's like saying people with chicken pox are a different race than other people.) Why hasn't a plague ever been introduced.

The answer is it is a mythical setting that can't necessarily be tied to realistic standards on Earth.

And now for the other Regal:
    As for the poor caring about the sewer people. Take it a bit like different castes. The poor people all live within the law, albeit poorly. The people in the sewers are a collection of squatters, thieves, vampires, cultists, and those wishing to avoid the 'law' of society. So you have a cultural divide between a group of lawless poor, and a group of law abiding poor. So while yes, they'd care that there are poor people being killed, and a few people would know, a majority would most likely be okay with it, because the main Religion of the City/Empire says it is wrong that these people are breaking the law.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, and I fully understand historically peasant revolts, I just thought I'd throw this up there to help paint a broader picture.

• Constructive Constructive x 2
    • Like Like x 1