Archived What Massivecraft Needs To Do.

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Morbytogan

King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire
Reaction score
Faction
Desolation
Kingdom
-{ISOLATED}-
As you may have noticed, the MassiveCraft player count has been gradually decreasing and decreasing. For MassiveCraft to be able to continue and support itself, more players are going to have to join. I've not been thinking this through for too long, however I feel that it could work.
MassiveCraft should invest in advertising on YouTubers' channels, or even paying YouTubers to play. This will substantially increase the playercount, making it more fun for everyone; and also, MassiveCraft will make a huge profit, easily making back any money spent.
In the past, something similar was done with a YouTuber named Mafro, and it hugely increased playercount and made the server so much more enjoyable. If something similar could be done, I'm sure the server could be revived.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Majority of minecraft youtube watchers are usually younger children. This would hardly assist the server as well as it'd take away a very large chunk out of any money the server gains.

Majority of minecraft youtube watchers are usually younger children. This would hardly assist the server as well as it'd take away a very large chunk out of any money the server gains.
How would increasing playercount decrease profit at all?

How would increasing playercount decrease profit at all?
For a start. You're talking as if paying a youtuber off to play the server costs only a $5 bill. It would cost alot of money as well as what I previously said. It would hardly increase player count due to having such a young fan base.

As you may have noticed, the MassiveCraft player count has been gradually decreasing and decreasing. For MassiveCraft to be able to continue and support itself, more players are going to have to join. I've not been thinking this through for too long, however I feel that it could work.
MassiveCraft should invest in advertising on YouTubers' channels, or even paying YouTubers to play. This will substantially increase the playercount, making it more fun for everyone; and also, MassiveCraft will make a huge profit, easily making back any money spent.
In the past, something similar was done with a YouTuber named Mafro, and it hugely increased playercount and made the server so much more enjoyable. If something similar could be done, I'm sure the server could be revived.

The only reason Mafro increased the player count was because people joined for about a month because he would invite his fans to his faction. He left and everyone left with him because the experience wasn't fun enough to actually keep people playing (which is what actually needs to be fixed - core gameplay, not advertising).

Also you get people like AbusiveAdmin who are hot heads, so I'm not a big fan of paying people to come on.

Massive should encourage people like @Sevak who already enjoy posting videos and promote organic advertising rather than paying people to act like they're actually having a good time. It simply isn't a feasible long term solution.

How about advertising to the social medias that DnD-eqsue roleplayers and adult minecrafters use, so everything but YouTube. I just shared the hug pub announcement on minecraft reddit, I think that's a start. Unless I just messed up badly then and reddit happens to be the breeding grounds of children, and if so I will delete it ASAP. I am told to know my audience, and to begin selling the idea to the fish who eat it. Sites that advertise roleplay games like IMVU and Second Life could find an unexpected competitor.

invest in advertising on YouTubers' channels

Advertising is an inherently risky business, whether you are a Minecraft server or a large company. In order for advertising to be successful you need to understand not only what you want to achieve but how you want to go about achieving it; your strategy is dependent on what your end goal is. The reason that advertising is difficult is because you often have to spend money to generate leads or to increase your exposure, whether it comes in the form of endorsements, banners on websites or any other form of advertising you can think of. Advertising is not free, and it's certainly not cheap. To convince a Youtuber to play on the server you have to show them that there is something they can benefit from in facilitating that exposure, usually with large or well-known Youtubers that will be financial benefit. You could however approach a smaller, less well-known Youtuber to come to the server. Whilst this would bring a much smaller interest from their audience relative to the size of their channel in comparison to a more 'famous' Minecraft Youtuber, the benefit of them playing on Massivecraft is that they get access to new content which they can post to grow their audience. The more money you spend, the better results you get - a small / new Youtuber would be cheaper if not free, but the engagement Massivecraft would get from it would be very small. This strategy would be beneficial to the Factions player-base but it is extremely difficult to advertise the immersion and quality of Massivecraft's Roleplay community. Unfortunately it is not the type of content people would enjoy watching as it involves personal investment and lots of typing, it is very much a niche medium people have to try for themselves to assess.

advertising to the social medias

People often consider Social Media platforms to be free advertising, as you don't have to spend a penny on posting things across Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, PMC, etc., but this is a common misconception. Social Media requires the poster to generate their own engagements and relies heavily on their audience to repost and share their content in order to reach wider interactions without having to spend money promoting posts. The Massivecraft Twitter page is relatively new but only has 12 followers, the majority of which are likely current players. The Facebook page has an impressive 3,162 followers but has been around since 2011 meaning players will have come and gone since liking the page, some people will like it in passing and many of the other likes will be again from current players. To truly 'advertise' on social media, you need to promote posts which of course requires spending, or you need to find ways of getting your current audience to share content in order to exploit their existing connections. This is easier said than done.

So, what can / should we do?
I have spent a while critiquing both of these forms of advertising for bringing in new players but my analysis hasn't really answered the question of what Massivecraft should do to achieve that. I am fully in agreement that we should be looking to grow the player-base but the first step is player retention - we cannot hope to bring in new players if people are still leaving. This is a step that I know the entire Staff Team have worked hard on over the last 12 months; Game have hosted a number of events and assisted in the progression of the Factions world, the Quest team has grown and are delivering regular quest lines, World staff have built huge and amazing districts and continue to make Massivecraft more beautiful, Tech have brought us new features, Lore have released and redesigned essential pieces to improve Roleplay and PR have been putting out internal content to keep forum activity high.

I don't think I'm the only one that believes that Massivecraft continues to improve as time goes on. Internal content is crucial for player retention and the Staff team have done an excellent job at developing every side of the server in order to maintain interest. When the internal focus is deemed to be less of a necessity by Staff, that is when they will likely begin pursuing external methods of approach to bring in new people.

As far as what we as players can do to help, we should actively encourage people to join or try out the server, share social media posts and make videos of our own. We are a community after all so if we want it to grow, it is as much our responsibility to look for creative and engaging ways of bringing in new players as much as it is the Staff team's.

My view on this isnt paying people off. We should try to find ways for people currently here to make better content. Perhaps a "Content Creator" rank that can be granted on certain criteria that grants some minor useful Premium perks. Like Disguise. As well as adding say, "Camera Mode" , IE A gamemode where the player is invisible and can fly. For cinematic shots.

Also just generally speaking, we need to make a plugin to turn off nametags. Or find a mod that does it. I know it is possible to make nameplates invisible with command blocks and Team values in vanilla. Something to take that concept and render it for all players on a toggle maybe. Because to be brutally honest, as a guy who has recorded two massive (huge not referring to the name of the server) RP events, the most cancer thing is trying to get a good angle on a scene and being blocked out by the endless abyss that is the Name Tag Wall.

Slapping that onto "CC"s and Premiums would be a godsend.

EDIT: On re-read camera mode sounds like an invitation to meta game. Make it so Staff can see them in 'ghost form' like how you can in vanilla, simi-transparent view of them, and it notifies staff of say, rank 2 or higher or some crap like how it does for when people make tickets or someone bans someone etc idk

How about advertising to the social medias that DnD-eqsue roleplayers and adult minecrafters use, so everything but YouTube. I just shared the hug pub announcement on minecraft reddit, I think that's a start. Unless I just messed up badly then and reddit happens to be the breeding grounds of children, and if so I will delete it ASAP. I am told to know my audience, and to begin selling the idea to the fish who eat it. Sites that advertise roleplay games like IMVU and Second Life could find an unexpected competitor.
i agree- to get roleplayers on massivecraft, youtube shouldn't be the only place to advertise, cater to sites where actual roleplayers go on, reddits a good spot so you're good, but other roleplaying heavy websites maybe, or do something to encourage massivecraft players to invite/refer other players to massive

i think we would need to poll people to see how they found out about massive to get some good work done

Rather than roping new players in with new content, why dont we keep large quanties of older players from going inactive, by fixing old and broken mechanics?

Rather than roping new players in with new content, why dont we keep large quanties of older players from going inactive, by fixing old and broken mechanics?
I feel like this would be more constructive if you specified the mechanics that are old and broken

So I am mistaken in advertising to social media. We do need to have some more consistent form of entertaining output for a following, you're absolutely right. We're entertained everyday by the forums.
I see a blatant solution, creating a popular thing on a social media, advertising the aspects of massivecraft (the art community, the lore community, political literature, roleplaying, DnD and custom character creator lovers) more dependantly to other community's as a humble, inclusive, sub-group. We share our artwork to other fantasy loving communities. We need to get them asking, "What is that green thing?" when they see a Yanar.
I think DnD players would like Massivecraft too. Maybe changing key words to show up on the google search system for people looking for character customization games works too.

And I should probably pay more attention in marketing class today, too. ._.

You're trying to cater to a demographic that has played those games and never heard of minecraft, or has heard of minecraft but has no interest in it. Its a matter of convincing them that playing minecraft is worth it, because they can use it as a sandbox to further carry out their dungeon roleplay interests.

If you play minecraft, you know what you like. Massivecraft would come up with a simple google search with the keywords "minecraft fantasy/rp/factions server".

I feel like this would be more constructive if you specified the mechanics that are old and broken
It'd be easier to list the things that aren't broken. In the years I've played massive the most notable issues are: the economy, PvP mechanics, and poor integration of RP and PvP systems.

It'd be easier to list the things that aren't broken. In the years I've played massive the most notable issues are: the economy, PvP mechanics, and poor integration of RP and PvP systems.

That's still really broad, I'm not saying I disagree (especially with the first thing) but what exactly do you mean by PvP mechanics?

I'm not a PvPer by trade so I can't really say I know what this means at first glance, I'd honestly like to know :o

In terms of RP and PvP integration, I think the current system has the right idea but what exactly would you have in mind as a replacement?

That's still really broad, I'm not saying I disagree (especially with the first thing) but what exactly do you mean by PvP mechanics?

I'm not a PvPer by trade so I can't really say I know what this means at first glance, I'd honestly like to know :o

In terms of RP and PvP integration, I think the current system has the right idea but what exactly would you have in mind as a replacement?

When I say PvP mechanics, I mean things like armor durability and damage modifers that we sometimes tweak. As well as balancing pvp mcmmo perks. It's not too awful right now, so I'd like to see the reintroduction of an improved class or traits program that isnt as broken or exploitable as the previous two.

CoK's interesting, but its catering to the one mega PvP faction. For example, my faction can't participate because we keep it small and intimate with people we know out of minecraft and exceptions who've gone through a long vetting process. I'd like to see more incentive for diplomatic interaction between factions. There's no reason for war declarations because a) no one really particaptes, b) the risks and rewards aren't that drastically exciting and c) they drag on forever. Trading resources would be cool, but anything you can do I can do equal or better. What I would like to see is factions only able to gather resources in worlds they have claims in and then limit the resources in each world (for example diamonds are only in fendarfell and birch wood is only in teled). However, that means new players cant get stuff from the wilderness.

I'm seeing a lot of Dungeons and Dragons on this thread, and I think it could actually be relevant. In the case of things such as CRP (Combat Roleplay) the promoted use of Dice Rolling could help. The same system could also be used in common things, like whether or not that sip of ale you just had while talking with you friends was a bit too much, and you passed out. Or, say, dodging. I see way too often "Jimmy doges the attack", which really just moves along the process of striking and dodging, until someone decides they're okay with their character getting hit. Back onto the topic of promoting Massivecraft, part of the problem is the current players, and the playerbase the server is targeting. To elaborate on the "current players", people complain about factions when really, they're the ones who aren't involving themselves with getting it more active.

About 40% of Massivecraft is Factions players, so why are factions dying? If we can figure out, and fix, this issue, new players can feel more able to join in to the fun. Back onto the note of Roleplay, the Massivecraft system of RPing is very different than other servers. Where as Massivecraft has a set lore, others are really just "Do whatever you want". While this is certainly not something that should change (The use of set lore), something probably should be done involving it. In example, we could try to push more player-held events, or even more Non-Regalian Roleplay. Such could provide less boundaries, introducing the new group of "Off-Regalia Roleplayers".

Paying a YouTuber to play Massivecraft would likely not be a very good decision, leading (likely) only to loss of money. While it's true that the fans of that youtuber would consider joining, most could possibly just cease being fans of that channel. Minecraft now-days is mainly promoted for it's servers Mini-Games and Sandbox, both things Massivecraft doesn't promote as much as they could. How this could be done, I'm unfortunately stumped. Massivecraft offers something almost completely unique to other servers, and it's playerbase want's it to stay that way. In order to save the server from it's slow 'death', the current players need to accept change.

Would - for example - an Instagram page help. Put up some sketches of characters from the people on forums (With their permissions.) add a bit of text about the character and the race. Some cinematics of Regalia and faction worlds together with showing off a bit of the community.

Also, on Instagram you can tag your posts, maybe, #MassiveCraft, #Gaming, #RPG, #Minecraft.

Yes, no?

We tried Instagram. Minimal response. Wasn't worth the time Staff members put into running it.

Poeple tend to shy away from the fact they play Minecraft.

We are missing a huge amount of growth, Old players will leave over time anyway as real life takes over. Its time to invest in the next generation.

Poeple tend to shy away from the fact they play Minecraft.

We are missing a huge amount of growth, Old players will leave over time anyway as real life takes over. Its time to invest in the next generation.
its time to invest in a wal- i mean, advertising to kids like mcdonald's does! Just add a masochist edgy Millennial race with fidgit spinners we got this Lore Staff!

anyway tangent aside lol, I heard it said once one of the reasons story kind of repeats itself with patterns is because most of the playerbase is new players, with under 5 months under their belts. oldies are rare. And I notice it too. A lot of the old OGs i used to know have vanished I feel old typing this reeee

I think we need a mix. Its like, if your pouring water into a bucket with a hole. You might be able to keep that bucket 'full' for a time but it it keeps leaking so much your gonna run out of water. We need to find a way to keep at least a chunk of the older people around longer than they are now. Nobility/Gang systems work a bit for this, because generally people interacting with those systems have been around a while. But a bit more is needed. I dont know what though.

The dichotomy isn't helping old players vs new, Old players are able to interact with new players and new players seek help. Together the community grows.

Both benefit from the success of the server! I don't think people realize we can do multiple things at once.

I just really want there to be a concrete way to replace names with name tags so I can take some snazzy shots. However that's not really relevant until I have time for that. Right now it appears the best thing we can do according to the help forums reccomendations is to improve the factions community (attitude and meme-itude and make it less lewd), being more inclusive to new players, and then finding the right people to advertize and publicize to. Anything else to say or shall we begin?

My view on this isnt paying people off. We should try to find ways for people currently here to make better content. Perhaps a "Content Creator" rank that can be granted on certain criteria that grants some minor useful Premium perks. Like Disguise. As well as adding say, "Camera Mode" , IE A gamemode where the player is invisible and can fly. For cinematic shots.

Also just generally speaking, we need to make a plugin to turn off nametags. Or find a mod that does it. I know it is possible to make nameplates invisible with command blocks and Team values in vanilla. Something to take that concept and render it for all players on a toggle maybe. Because to be brutally honest, as a guy who has recorded two massive (huge not referring to the name of the server) RP events, the most cancer thing is trying to get a good angle on a scene and being blocked out by the endless abyss that is the Name Tag Wall.

Slapping that onto "CC"s and Premiums would be a godsend.

EDIT: On re-read camera mode sounds like an invitation to meta game. Make it so Staff can see them in 'ghost form' like how you can in vanilla, simi-transparent view of them, and it notifies staff of say, rank 2 or higher or some crap like how it does for when people make tickets or someone bans someone etc idk
aka gamemode 3 (Except you would have to find a way to prevent them from getting in hard to reach areas from flying.)

aka gamemode 3 (Except you would have to find a way to prevent them from getting in hard to reach areas from flying.)
kind of. As for the hard-to-reach areas thing, WorldGuard has a flying tag that you can set to false and it puts anyone who flies into it into walking. If you make that region big enough around the areas that are urgent, IE over the guard bases, over the palace, etc, you should be good to go. Its a little extra region work for staff but not a lot