Tombs And A Crisis Of Kings

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by Lyee, May 23, 2018.

?

Well?

1. Sure why not

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Nah

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

Okay, so, good morning everyone! Or afternoon, or night, or whatever it is for you. Today I'm posting about something that somewhat falls under builds in CoK; Tombs.

A while back a guy named Sershaw came back to Massive briefly and talked with me. While most of our conversation completely irrelevant, he mentioned his tomb and all of its traps and such. I went there to investigate and actually found absolutely nothing of interest, just an empty room, but it got me thinking. What if factions were to create dungeons/tombs? These would be small rooms hidden somewhere in the map, full of traps and with a reward at the end. Here's an example to explain more what I mean;
    A traveler has been searching around New Ceardia in search of the ancient tomb of Tiberius Dalassenos (yes I'm using Tyberia for this example). After a long while of searching he comes across an interesting pattern in a mountain side, almost like a gate. He waits until nightfall, when a doorway opens. Once inside, he goes through many traps and puzzles to find some sort of lore item at the end.

I personally think that this would be a fun gamemode, which would attract more players. But how does it tie in with CoK? Well, one great way to encourage people to make these is with CoK points. A build like this provides Lore, Tourism, and Entertainment.

I'm sorry if this idea is a bit messy or off-track, I just wanted to get it out there before I forgot and got distracted halfway through.

2. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

3. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

I think the general idea of a build as it stands now is something you can see from the dynmap.

That being said I think this idea has some Merit

4. Sephite

Sephite Lillith ✤ TheFairy

@Siosie

Very interesting idea, but it needs more details. Tagging Siosie to have a look at it as well.

Keep in mind that we want to avoid to create lag with extensive traps/redstone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

This sounds somewhat similar to the dungeon proposal mentioned before. Perhaps combining ideas is in order?

6. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

I'm not sure what "dungeon idea" you're talking about, could you link me? I'd love to see it =)

7. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

9. Enkiduu

Enkiduu Looming

Not much to comment on the matter. Quest is doing its own Dungeon thing that's a bit different in concept where the focus is to have an area where players can kill increasingly difficult mobs, and maybe grind for XP.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

Was reminded of this, so I'll post it here (originally from Violette's thread):
    Factions with "approved" tombs could apply to have unique bosses and other enemies spawn in their build. This adds that lovely "dungeoneering" feel that MMORPGs are supposed to have. And it doesn't even have to have faction-made locations, it could also be staff-made ones!

11. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

From my scouring of the forums, I've noticed that dungeons and "dungeony" suggestions have been coming up a lot recently and I am very happy to see them as they are something that a Game-Quest coalition could bring to fruition.

However, I do not like the idea of having them in the factions world, I would rather have them in some sort of Quest world. We could also maybe implement something similar, such as dungeon events. I really do think dungeons are something we could develop in the future and we do have staff members that seem interested.

In relation to CoK points, I do believe the best way to implement such an idea with dungeons is through running events. These would be pretty big events and the winners of which would receive CoK points, if they are a member of a great house of course. Events would be ran much like the PvP tournaments in terms of point awarding.

Going to tag @Spectriel @MadamAries @Billingsgate @Maytee @Jaehaerys

12. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

Well, Cnoc, there's a main issue here. "Events". Meaning you have to wait and there will be other people. Rather than roaming around (and from a staff perspective, advertising) the reaches of Factions with your friends, you're waiting for a once-a-month event with probably at least 10 other people. Offering a dungeoneering aspect to our factions helps attract those who may be more interested in running their own factions, assuming it's pushed externally. As I stated before, Massivecraft claims itself to be a "Factions RPG Server", and other than our quest world (which is unfortunately empty) it doesn't really offer anything.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, people would be a lot more interested in an actual RPG feel that currently isn't really in there. Having them in the factions world allows exploration and advertises a unique experience closer to actual MMORPGs. We have amazing builds in Factions, and they're hardly shown off.

13. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

The problem is with, these things will have to be protected areas in survival worlds, which we will only have 3 of very soon, meaning we only have limited space. The dungeons will also place lag on the server overall and will decrease mobs elsewhere. I really do like this idea but I don't want it invading the fences of factions either, there can be integration there but they need to be slightly separated.

14. Lyee

Lyee Your Best Enemy

That's a fair point, but I'm not sure it would lag the server. Mobs normally spawning doesn't seem to, and I would imagine you would make them only spawn when a player is near enough. In response to the fact that it's "taking room", I'm not sure how much of an issue that is. Would you rather have another unused city laying around, or a smaller thing used for entertainment.

While writing this, though, I've thought of something to combine these ideas. What you could do is this; Every month (CoK round) a faction can make a tomb. A team of staff (presumably World) would judge which one is the winner for that month, and for the next month/round it would be given custom mobs, maybe a custom lore item at the end, and maybe even a safe zone. The faction hosting it would be given some sort of points as well, possibly.
    @CnocBride

#14 Lyee, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  15. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

someone has to die for a tomb to be created

and that ain't happening any time soon