Archived Throwable Swords

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

TwiLord

Duke of Roserres
Reaction score
Faction
Aeternus
Kingdom
Aeternian
Roleplay Guilds
N/A
Hello MassiveCraft Community,

I would just like to make a small suggestion that I really hope will work. Can you plz add throwable swords. I'm really hoping a lot and I think it'd really add to the server. I've seen a vanilla 1.8 server (with plugins) that had throwable swords. It was where you right clicked I think with the sword and it would throw the item forwards a decent distance into an enemy and do them damage. If you could add this I'd be very appreciative :D

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

I would just like to make a small suggestion that I really hope will work. Can you plz add throwable swords. I'm really hoping a lot and I think it'd really add to the server. I've seen a vanilla 1.8 server (with plugins) that had throwable swords. It was where you right clicked I think with the sword and it would throw the item forwards a decent distance into an enemy and do them damage. If you could add this I'd be very appreciative :D
Did you ever play on this server? If you want to see the sword actually be thrown, as in it look like you threw a sword like a throwing knife, I'm almost 100% sure that would require a mod, and mods required to play on the server severely limit the amount of people able to play. Some people don't want to mod their Minecraft, so those people wouldn't be able to play on the server.

Did you ever play on this server? If you want to see the sword actually be thrown, as in it look like you threw a sword like a throwing knife, I'm almost 100% sure that would require a mod, and mods required to play on the server severely limit the amount of people able to play. Some people don't want to mod their Minecraft, so those people wouldn't be able to play on the server.

In this specific instance you would not need a mod. It can be programmed to "drop" the sword and then send it flying forwards as a projectile. Not as realistic as a mod, but still can look very good. However, I think this would be either too overpowered with 1 hit kills, or too underpowered where nobody would want to throw their sword. I'm not sure if you were thinking of this, but maybe have it throw the sword and just clear that slot from the inventory and then the sword will return 3 seconds later back in its inventory instead of being dropped where you threw it. I could see this as being more strategic because you would need to time it correctly as to not throw your sword when in close corridors combat. Still, I'm doubtful on this being implemented.

In this specific instance you would not need a mod. It can be programmed to "drop" the sword and then send it flying forwards as a projectile. Not as realistic as a mod, but still can look very good. However, I think this would be either too overpowered with 1 hit kills, or too underpowered where nobody would want to throw their sword. I'm not sure if you were thinking of this, but maybe have it throw the sword and just clear that slot from the inventory and then the sword will return 3 seconds later back in its inventory instead of being dropped where you threw it. I could see this as being more strategic because you would need to time it correctly as to not throw your sword when in close corridors combat. Still, I'm doubtful on this being implemented.
Would it throw the sword forward as it's entity form? As in, what the item looks like when dropped on the ground.

I'm all for variances in combat mechanics, but my principal thought with this is how it might implement with the MCMMO right click abilities.

Might I ask what the point of adding this would be other then it sounding cool?

Why throw your sword when you can use a bow? You can only throw a sword once but a bow can have infinity arrows.

Throwing a sword in combat is extremely useless, I'm not trying to be mean in any way.
It's just like throwing your loaded shotgun at the enemy in hopes of not hurting them majorly, considering both SHOULD still have at least over 100-200 uses left before thoughts of even abandoning it.

Coding wise this should be possible using @Mindarchy 's idea.
However it seem sto be a bit useless (but cool anyways) in PvP

Here is an example, but not a great one: http://youtu.be/KAId2ngCJXs?t=38m15s
As you can see, it's programmed to throw the arrow up a bit when the bow is left clicked. This can be reconfigured to throw a sword forwards. I used to host this gametype and I played with the settings a lot and did tons of stuff (Like slimeball grenades) and it doesn't take mods and looks good.

Not necessarily. This would require armour stands, actually. Though these videos are not throw-able swords, they are, however, things that once required mods. They are called "Vanilla Mods" because of this. Now, using plugins, the command block portion could be removed from this.

The videos I am referring to are:

Now, there are some issues, obviously. The glitches shown in these videos may arise. However, this does prove that throwable swords can be done in vanilla. It can even look nice. 1.8 is a beautiful thing. This would require an invisible armour stand with arms. The arms would need to spin as the sword is thrown, and the stand would need to move at a certain speed. A video that showcases a similar mechanic is shown here, made by YouTuber Sethbling:

I cannot stress how difficult this would be to have on a server, but it is merely s proof of concept. If it would be possible for the staff to do this, I'm all for it, so long as it doesn't take all of the staff's time. Have a Massive day!

NOTE: I do not claim to have made nor own these videos. All content belongs to their respective creators.

Okay maybe I wasn't as detailed as I needed to be. I actually used to do this exact thing in a server that I owned back in 1.2 before command blocks were even a thing. Your idea would work, sure, BUT it is not the simplest method and as you said is very hard to implement with invisible armor stands and such on the server.

Now I implemented this with the MagicSpells plugin (Works on bukkit and spigot), But massive could do this without the plugin as-well. For the fireball effect for example, it spawns a fireball and throws it in the direction the player is looking, right? Well this same concept is possible (And I have personally tested) with other objects as-well. You can throw a sword in the direction the player is looking as-well even though it would look a little derpy. You can even give it velocity like an arrow so it won't just be a straight bullet.

This would require an invisible armour stand with arms.

This is not correct at all. It's just one option, but most definitely not the simplest, least laggy, or most efficient way. The thing is when magic comes out I could see features such as sword-throwing as being a very good addition to that. However, your last comment was right, I don't think the staff should be spending any time on this at this point.

Wait. Why don't you just use a bow?

Pretty Swag idea, but you would have to have the perfect damage amount right in the middle. It can't hit like half their health unless the sword is actually dropped on the ground and isn't returned to your inventory in a few seconds.

AH HA! I have you now! *throws wooden sword* Yeah.. how does that feel!? Feel all mighty and strong now?