Pending Review Spider People?

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Faunfire, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MrNoot1

MrNoot1 Let there be Noot

There is no point in that. Why would you have a completely new race when, as Nixces stated, when you have a race that completely fits the bill. Someone with red eyes and pretty much limbs for hair is scary enough. You could do so much with how they are now and it can be fun for yourself and the others you RP with.

2. _Chui

_Chui :>

260px-Marayahaat.png flat800x800070f.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

Then play a Varghul, a Varlord, a feral vampire, a Cryptall vampire, an undead, etc. There are are plenty of avenues for "monster" RP. You don't need more than two legs to accomplish that, although I understand that we all have wishes for certain racial aesthetics. Making an entire race just based on wanting multiple legs is nonsensical, however.

4. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

All the races deleted had extremely low player bases, in the range of like literally 2 for some.

I feel that people look back at this "earlier" time of Massive with really thick rose tinted glasses. Did Massive have more races? Sure. But that doesn't mean they were good. A lot of early concepts were flawed, or just downright unpopular. Also abused. Remember the Avarr? A bird race, 7ft tall and stronger than Orcs. KOS, and all I can remember is people powergaming and trolling with them. I remember when Thylan were retired- So many people complained, but not a single person actually played a Thylan. I feel like chances are people would play these beastly races for like a month as a fad- It always happens- and then go back to their standard Ailor/Elven characters.

I'm going to do a random sample off the first page for character reviews as an example.

Out of 40 sheets, there following races were present:
    • 13 Ailor
    • 6 Altalar
    • 3 Kathar
    • 3 Cielothar
    • 2 Sihndar
    • 2 Isldar
    • 2 Slizzar
    • 1 Avanthar
    • 1 Maraya
    • 1 Orc
    • 1 Varran
    • 1 Half-Varran
    • 1 Half-Elf
    • 1 Url
    • 1 Qadir
    • 1 Yanar

Which means from my sample...

32% of the sample plays Ailor.
    42% of the sample plays an Elven race.
    17% of the sample plays Other (Slizzar, Maraya, Orc, Varran, Url, Yanar).

And these aren't all main characters either. There were like five apps from mroof so the results are skewed.

Alternative races aren't as popular as the core races. This is very simple.
    Rose tinted glasses. The Vespid weren't that popular outside of a small group. There was a small cult essentially that came along with them, but nothing comparable to the Ailor/Elven playerbase.

It's always fun to have lots of races, and sure, Massive may have had more in the past. But that was from a time where the server was heavily disorganized and can't even hold a candle to what it is now. The lore wasn't as detailed, and there were holes, many many holes. As of now, the server is streamlined and concise. Adding more races would spread out the already large race pool.

We literally have 18 races. Don't believe me?

Human:
    • Ailor
    • Ch'ien-ji/Shihai
    • Dwarf
    • Qadir
    • Songaskian
    Magus:
    • Altalar
    • Avanthar
    • Cielothar
    • Sihndar
    • Isldar
    • Kathar
    • Yanar
    Maia:
    • Maraya
    Gorr:
    • Allar
    • Slizzar
    • Varran
    • Orc
    • Url

This isn't even including subraces, which would make the listen even longer. 18 races is INSANE for a server such as Massive. I really don't think we need any more furry races, or scalies, or monsters. We have enough. To add more would over saturate the already saturated race pool. The fact is, people like playing the familiar. Abstract race concepts do not fly well, and it shows in numbers. Release hype usually makes things feel much more popular than they actually are, and you end up with a race that may be "cool", but once that bandwagon passes, the numbers drop.

Thus, I do not think it is worth devoting manpower to creating another race to add on top of the 18, when there are other areas of lore that could actually use the time and effort to be worked upon and brought up to MassiveCraft's current standard.

tl;dr
    abstract races aren't popular we don't need more weird races, it won't do anything.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

Not every Haat needs to look like that, either. Not to be rude, but it really comes down to creativity. If you can't make it NOT sexy, then that's moreso your own fault than anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NoRezForYou

NoRezForYou Professional Hand Holder

Just because you desire something doesn't mean Marty should spend hours of effort on a wiki page for a redundant race. No matter how many times you tell us 'I want it give me, give me' it will not change how anti-productive the race would be. Suzzie justifies this really well but just remember that other people are doing the work & it is someone else's project at the same time.

7. Nixces

Nixces N/A

[​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. _Chui

I agree, but however, something new is always great, it's like they are repeating the horrid looks of other races onto others. I say we need something new, not a repeat. I do highly enjoy all the races as they are, keep in mind, that this was a suggestion. It more of started out as a joke and now is becoming something serious. So, I'm going to take it serious. But however, with the horns and red eyes, it feels like a repeat with all races, it gets old. It never hurts to have something new, I wouldn't even play a race that was so different from the rest as a fad either, I think I would enjoy being different and a lot of others would too, maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Salvej

Salvej Wine Enthusiast

There is absolutely no need for a further furry apocalypse than we already have. Stop trying to push the furry agenda and move on from the past. As multiple people said in thread, Haat-Maraya do not have to be sexy seductress spider people. The fact that everyone is obsessed about playing a character with eight legs is rather jarring, too.

Edit: the fact that certain people in the thread are lowkey insulting the staff's hard work on our lore is also disgusting. Accusing our hard-working lore staff of "repeating the same races over and over" is nasty.

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Faunfire

Faunfire I'm the guy who draw an cry :,)

That's totally fine, I just think and remember when things were diffrent. Stuff had more of an intresting vibe. I just kind of figured maybe if we made a monster race, the fun would come back to massive. I understand we have so many races, but there's always caps and limits on the things that are fun, and there's no use arguing those because rules are rules, right? Sorry for bothering everybody with all these replies and such, this was supposed to be a fun suggestion but now it's slowly turning into a fight. Sorry about that, but hey, it was still a fun idea to pitch. Regardless of whether it gets accepted or even looked at by mods, it was fun to think up and write ideas with friends, be they too 'out there' or 'abstract'. We still had fun.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  11. Faunfire

this image will never cease to make me laugh

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. _Chui

It was a simple suggestion, now, I didn't even make the post. I just like the idea of it, and how it would be different from all races, and I respect what the staff do for us, but keep in mind, this is a suggestion, not a demand. It is a desire however, seeing this is something I do desire to have put into massive, and would love to see it bloom into something more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

Again, though, there are several avenues for monster roleplay already. Create a Varghul and make him feral. Done deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. _Chui

I respect what all staff does for us, it was just a suggestion. Let's be nice, and play fair.

• Educated Educated x 1
  15. Nixces

Nixces N/A

powerful, salvej
    very cool

• Constructive Constructive x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  16. Faunfire

Slow down there sparky, simple suggestion that is now getting WAY out of hand, let's NOT be hostile, we already finished up, and I don't think spiders clasify as furries unless they are tarancialas but even then they don't actually have fur. Also! We're not insulting the staff at all! We love the staff, and without them, this server wouldn't exist. Please don't get hostile.

• Educated Educated x 1
  17. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

Honestly, how you word this comes off as very disrespectful, unintentional or not. Why don't you write a race then, and see how it goes? A lot of thought, a lot of time, and a lot of effort goes into the creation of a race. It's not just aesthetics, there's a whole slew of angles to consider like appeal, and niche. Niche is above all the most important thing to consider, and as of now, we don't have an open niche for spider ladies, especially with spider-maraya being a thing now. The Haat-Maraya literally have six eyes on their headpiece, have hair that move in tendrils in ways that no other race has. What other race has that, where is the repeat? You could maybe relate this to a sort of medusa concept maybe, but it's wildly different. Of course there's repetition among void-corrupted races, that's consistency with their taint.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it's.. Not a simple task as many people think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Faunfire

don't slizzar have that ability?

19. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Imma just pop in a final time and say that it might be possible to add in a new Haat Maraya ability that makes them more of a spider down the road if there is large enough player base. Alternatively, I think there are lore items/abilities that can makepeople think a Spider person is there when it isn't.

Illusions and hallucinations may be a compromise. not ideal to the suggestion, but it would have the same effect IC.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

No.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  21. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

The majority of the player base is still against weird alien race mutant things just walking around and chitters seductively at u in the street+ rp. The community was different way back when, and then it clearly started edging against the concept of spider-centaurs just walking hand in hand with quadruped fauns and slithering naga bodies while a Human bartender is just trying to do their job.

Player creativity isn't by default a good thing. Player creativity also leads to players running over the rights and desires of other players in a slippery slope argument that doesn't actually mean anything at all. Creativity can flourish just fine on a canvas.

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. _Chui

I think a mutation in the Haats that allows them to have more then one limb, like legs or arms, would be a cool idea. Seeing they are suppose to be based off spiders, and spiders have 8 legs. It wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

23. Naganadel_

Naganadel_ Master Rank 17 Hunter of the Fifth Fleet

The races we have getting a little old and uninteresting. The only ones I can rp as is Isldars, Marayas, Kathar and Ch’ien-ji and they’re getting replaced. Soooo, we need more ineteresting races.

24. MrNoot1

MrNoot1 Let there be Noot

They aren't getting replaced, there have been updates sure but they aren't going to be replaced for a while I believe

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

What?

Isldar may get a tune up, but Maraya and Kathar shouldn’t be touched for a long time. The Shihai update for Chi’ien-ji is actually going to expand that race with several subtypes. You’re saying these races are old, when literally in the past year several of them have been rewritten, buffed and expanded. Huh?

Also, jeez. You’ve essentially said “ur races bore me, therefore we need more INTERESTING races”. That’s just, so disrespectful. It’s like showing up to someone’s birthday party, and when you get a slice of cake you go “Ew, I don’t like vanilla, that’s boring! Make me a chocolate cake!”

Honestly, I don’t think you’d enjoy something crazy - I actually think, looking at your list of “rp-able” races that you would enjoy the Elven races, such as Altalar, Avanthar, Cielothar and Sihndar. All the Elven races would seem to fall on your range of aesthetics, and some have very powerful racial abilities. Maybe give those a try.

• Agree Agree x 4