Archived Small Change To The Chat Censor/filter

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Oblivaify

Blood and Fire...
Reaction score
Faction
Brightshore
Hey!

At the moment, in a public chat, the chat filter recognizes seemingly offensive words and changes them into different phrases, as I'm sure you've all seen.

I'm suggesting a small change to the censor, in where the word 'shore' is uncensored to show the word, and not 'snun' as it says now.

All harmless, as this is the only change that I'm suggesting, and it might be frustrating not being able to talk about a faction in a public chat because of a filter!

Please leave Feedback/Support for the change and maybe some other suggestions, but mainly, I would like work 'shore' excluded from the filter.

Have a Great Day!

Tagging some people I would like responses from/viewpoint on change:

@Cayorion @MonMarty @AllOtherStaffInvolvedWithServerWorkings

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't quite understand why this is censored. Another word that I'd like removed from the censor list is 'mate.' I realised it may be used in intimidation at times, but censoring it can be frustrating at times, and often just seems silly.

Hey!

At the moment, in a public chat, the chat filter recognizes seemingly offensive words and changes them into different phrases, as I'm sure you've all seen.

I'm suggesting a small change to the censor, in where the word 'shore' is uncensored to show the word, and not 'snun' as it says now.

All harmless, as this is the only change that I'm suggesting, and it might be frustrating not being able to talk about a faction in a public chat because of a filter!

Please leave Feedback/Support for the change and maybe some other suggestions, but mainly, I would like work 'shore' excluded from the filter.

Have a Great Day!

Tagging some people I would like responses from/viewpoint on change:

@Cayorion @MonMarty @AllOtherStaffInvolvedWithServerWorkings
It's not filtering shore. It's filtering 'hore' to be nun. Because it counts as a misspelling of a common.. curse word.

See here is the thing tho. Most people know what Snun and My Penguinrials are in chat. I think this would be a great tweak to an even better plugin. But I have the feeling that if it could be fixed it would have been already right? Also I think it would be wise to tag another tech staff so... @Madus

But. My Penguin is my favorite.
It's kinda annoying when I say Rekt and it changes it to love. Then I look like a fool for forgetting the censor cx

i mean, i dont see the word "rekt" being so offensive that it has to be censored.

I don't quite understand why this is censored. Another word that I'd like removed from the censor list is 'mate.' I realised it may be used in intimidation at times, but censoring it can be frustrating at times, and often just seems silly.
I didn't realise this was censored, and I'm actually a little shocked it is considering it's a commonly expressed term in both Australia and the UK. They might as well censor man, bro, bruh or any other colloquial term because that's probably just as as intimidating, ha ha!

I didn't realise this was censored, and I'm actually a little shocked it is considering it's a commonly expressed term in both Australia and the UK. They might as well censor man, bro, bruh or any other colloquial term because that's probably just as as intimidating, ha ha!
The only reason i can think of "mate" being sensored is in the sense of "mating" with another person. But even that seems a bit far-fetched.

Ah, it's not a profession though..
Any woman I know would be very offended if they were being called this, no matter if they did have something like that as a profession :c
sorry prostitute and it does count as a line of work and I'm not saying it's not offensive I'm just saying it's like calling a surgeon a butcher and yes I see you can argue to keep it censored and wow mate is censored...

The only reason i can think of "mate" being sensored is in the sense of "mating" with another person. But even that seems a bit far-fetched.
It actually has to do with flame and the tendency of pvpers to use the term mate. Not that I agree with it being censored.

See here is the thing tho. Most people know what Snun and My Penguinrials are in chat. I think this would be a great tweak to an even better plugin. But I have the feeling that if it could be fixed it would have been already right? Also I think it would be wise to tag another tech staff so... @Madus
I do not wish to share any personal opinion in this topic, and I am not sure how much I can contribute the the discussion.
First I would like to say that I didn't create the censoring system, and I am not 100% sure how it works.
I understand that it is annoying if regular not-offensive words such as "material" is censored/modified. This usually happens if a part of them, such as "mate" in this case, is subject to any censoring/filtering.
From a technical POV this can be changed so the filter is less annoying for regular users, I am not aware of how easily this can be done, but it is definitely possible.
But there is a line between being to loose, and having an easily circumvented filter, or being too strict and doing unnecessary/annoying filtering of normal acceptable words. Perhaps the filter is too strict right now or that is atleast what it seems to me, by looking at what people wrote in this thread.
Also managing the chat and such, is not done by tech staff, so proposing these changes to tech staff (such as myself) is perhaps not a good idea, because we are not directly related to these things. That being said, I am not even sure who this requested change should be presented to, perhaps game staff (they do chat moderation), perhaps PvP staff (filtering is related to flame and PvP, right?). I am not sure at all, but tech staff is definitely not the correct audience for this proposal.

sorry prostitute and it does count as a line of work and I'm not saying it's not offensive I'm just saying it's like calling a surgeon a butcher and yes I see you can argue to keep it censored and wow mate is censored...
Calling someone a whore isn't really the same as a calling a Surgeon a butcher... A butcher and surgeon are two professions, using the word whore is a dysphemism and is used to be offensive.

Can we try and get this back on topic please? It's taken a bit of a turn...

I can understand that the word "rekt" and "mate" are used in a lot of flame, but are these words really that bad that they need to be filtered? They are only being used commonly. Then again, why are these words filtered in PvP chat, I thought PvP Chat was made to focus (any?) flame from other chats to there. (correct me if I'm wrong). Of course i dont know if you can put these filteres to specific chats or does it count for all chats, which would make sense. But if it was possible to filter specific chats it is easily fixed, dont filter Trade chat and do filter PvP chat. (I dont know if this is possible just suggesting)