Archived Overhauls To Benefit New Players (and Old)

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFan96

A miserable little pile of secrets
Staff member
Lore
Reaction score
Faction
Drachovia
There have been a few threads lately about needed to retain new players. I had the pleasure of talking to one of them today, and learned a bit about some of the issues a newer player faces on the server. After reading the forum threads again and walking around the lobby, I found a few key issues that might be hindering:
  • Any hologram sign that is above a player head will never be read. As I was typing this, a new player spawned in and immediately went to the faction lobby without stopping. Case in point, those types of signs will not be read.
    • Doing a quick server hop, I noticed many MC players play with their head angled closer to the ground. If I mimic this in the lobby, the entire sign is hidden from my screen
  • The sign rooms are filled with lots of signs that don't really tell much (and may be outdated at some times.) The player I was following did read all the signs and head to the faction map, so the concept does work to some extent.
    • However, even as an old player I don't like the idea of reading that many signs. It can be tedious, and most of it can be summarized with common sense.
    • The important tips are in the hologram signs, which have already been addressed.
  • There is a large discrepancy with the NPCs at spawn in terms of player count.
    • Kit PvP has 0 players rn, and never really grows higher.
    • Questing has 4, but with no replay ability the quests eventually die out.
    • Creative has 17 players, which seems fine given creative is building
    • Factions has 40 players, good
    • Roleplay has 77 players, good but note that it is much higher than PvP
  • Regalia spawn actually seems out of place:
    • Why are all the market NPCs located in the RP world when most of the shop items more applicable to Factions?
With some of the issues addressed, I'm going to make a few suggestions broken up in sections:
  • Lobby Overhaul
    • Split the lobby into 3 groups: Factions, Roleplay, and Creative
    • Merge Kit PvP and Factions into one "Factions" Group
    • Merge RP and Questing into one "Roleplay" Group
    • Keep Creative as its own group.
    • Add a "Market" group that has the Massiveshop NPC
      • also re-implement the premium lobby to highlight the features of the package.
      • Make a tp to the player market
      • Add the crate keys to this market group as well.
    • Add a quick tutorial guide NPC to highlight the basic theme of each lobby.
  • Server "Group" Lobbies
    • Divide the various subsections across a secondary lobby
      • Factions
        • Has the three survival maps to choose from
        • KitPvP on the side
        • NPCs to explain gameplay rules, survival plugins, and other applicable tutorials in lieu of sign posts
      • Roleplay
        • Has Regalia and the Quest Maps
        • NPC detailing Roleplay rules, Massivechat details, and MassiveQuest
      • Creative Lobby
        • Can simply redirect to the creative map.
      • Market Lobby
        • Have a tp to the premium info lobby
        • crate keys around a central hub
        • tp to the market
    • Each lobby must have a way to tp back to the main hub without using commands, be it an NPC or sign.
  • This last part is a bit techy, but changing which servers the worlds exist in.
    • 1 server should have quests and Regalia
    • 1 for creative
    • 2+ for factions
    • 1 for market
This is all I have for now, the potential benefits I see are as follows:
  • Regalia is no longer home to the Massiveshop or Crates lobby. It's a RP world, so having things that don't dramatically affect RPers makes little sense and can be confusing.
  • It breaks up play styles by lobby, and combines smaller parts of the server into a overlying hub.
  • tab rosters will show the players that are in your part of the community, so you'll know who is actually playing factions, who is RPing/Questing, or who is shopping around.
  • The use of NPC guides will remove the sign spam and highlight Massivecraft plugins to players as soon as they join.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I hope more people will read this and show their support, these small changes could make such a big difference.

As this is pertinent to a Game Department project, and provides us with quite a good insight into what players want from the lobby's, we will be taking this thread into account and seeing what we can do with the content.

Therefore this thread is now under review.

Last edited:
Ill add maybe making use of the space in Roleplay Spawn instead of having 4 of the same NPC would be better. Its super redundant.

Ill add maybe making use of the space in Roleplay Spawn instead of having 4 of the same NPC would be better. Its super redundant.
Removing all the MassiveShop NPCs from Regalia makes the most sense. Why should one side of the community being given preference over the other, especially one that (at least from looking at top donors) contributes less to the shop?

In its place, there can be new buildings for RPers, or potentially a RP-catered info area. I'll defer to World staff on how they would make use of the space, but the take away message is that Regalia currently has more in it than just a RP world, and I think that takes away from the other parts of the server, even if unintentional.

Removing all the MassiveShop NPCs from Regalia makes the most sense. Why should one side of the community being given preference over the other, especially one that (at least from looking at top donors) contributes less to the shop
If I remember correctly, those were placed there when regalia spawn was more the main spawn of the entire server

Thanks for all of these suggestions, guys. I can tell you that new lobbies are actively being planned. Many of your suggestions will be taken into account, and don't be surprised if I come grab a few of you for testing purposes!

Status
Not open for further replies.