Dated Dynmap Defaults For New Players

Discussion in 'Factions' started by VonZane, Sep 29, 2018.

1. VonZane

VonZane Lord-Commander of the Order of Val'roth

So my suggestion is two-fold.
    1. Set the Dynmap default visibility setting for new players to be /dynmap hide.
    2. Set the default Dynmap map to Essalonia.
    1.) I've always found this irritating since I first started playing on this server; the fact that new players have their Dynmaps on /dynmap show when they first log onto the server. So many times, established players attack new folks for an easy kill...and I admit, I've done it myself a time or two. I believe this needs to stop. New faction players might be more willing to stay in this server if they aren't killed immediately after walking off the neutral zone. I do understand that it says to do "/dynmap hide" several places between the server spawn and the faction world, but lets be honest; how many people *actually* read those when you're first logging onto a server.

2.) Secondly, I believe the Dynmap map default, (when you type /map ig, and it gives you a link), should be Essalonia. I'm not going to speak for roleplayers, but I believe most the people that utilize the Dynmap are faction players. Having to explain to a new player to "type /map ig, and then click that little tab on the right that says 'Essalonia'" is rather difficult to explain, let alone them trying to figure out.

Ps. I'm not quite sure if this should go under the Factions thread or the Server thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I'm down for point 2) since I do agree that Essalonia should be a selling point for the server and not put to second place. Massive's greatest advertisement claim is that they were the first factions server ever, so that should be shown with promoting survival. RP is rp and can self manage, but dynmap works best with factions, especially when Regalia is going to be shrunken down a bit more.

As for point one, I'm mixed. While I do like the idea of new players being hidden, there are warnings given. I think it really is self control on the spawn camping. Just don't kill players around spawn if you don't see it as a good fight. That's my take on the matter, and everyone is free to agree or disagree on it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

I would agree here. Personally though, I would just settle for a real notification from the commands. /dynmap hide/show will give you the same response whether you were already hidden or not or shown or not. If you were hidden already, it will say "You are now hidden on the dynmap", whereas if you were not already hidden, it will say "You are now hidden on the dynmap!" That's bugged me for quite some time now, and a command to check your status w/o having to open your browser and check would be handy as well. I agree with both of your points wholeheartedly... I would think this probably would go under "Server", though, seeing as it is a change that would affect the entire server, albeit on a very minor level.

• Agree Agree x 1