Archived Lwc Suggestions Thread

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshy54100

☑ rekt ☐ not rekt
Reaction score
Faction
Deldrimor
Since no one has made a suggestion thread yet, and everyone was complaining, I figured I'd go ahead and make it :P

Stuff I would like changed:
  1. Price: make it free to make chests. This price is just annoying, and it doesn't even show up in the /money log.
  2. Opening Notification: If the chest is owned by you, then don't have it display a message, only if it is owned by someone else. This could help reduce needless spam.
  3. Edited in: Make LWC chests expire after 20 days just like deadbolts.
Those are the only things I want changed so far, but if others could leave their ideas below, I'll edit them in.
Thanks!

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think that rather than complain on this thread, I'm going to make a suggestion.
By reading the documentation I understand how to use this system. Fairly well, at least...
But I understand that many players cannot read.
They cannot waste their brain cells looking at the documentation.
They must have it spoon fed.
They must... Be nurtured by the best of the best.
The most brilliant minds on Massive.
Tom1804 BigBellyBuddah
Moovee naow plox???

A movie could help. Though some players are too lazy to do even that. I still find players that are confused by Deadbolt :^) It's weird, some people just can't read.

I think that at least the regal cost can be edited in the plugin configuration files. I'll check on the plugin's development page.

Quoted from the doc:

"Expiration
LWC protections expire after 20 days of being inactive (not logging on to the server). They do not expire due to not being used."

Not sure what you're talking about when you say LWC never expires, on Massivecraft it's configured to expire, just like Deadbolts did.

Also, I too agree that 10r per chest is just way too much. Especially for a faction storage where you want to control who can access each chest. I think that Enderdonut's suggestion might be something to look into, free protections weekly. Kind of like time management games, where you either wait for your energy to refull or pay some money to get full energy immediatly.

I was thinking of something like this:
  • 5 free locks at the start of each week(lets say every Monday)
  • This number doesn't stack, so if you don't use your 5 free locks at the end of one week, you don't get 10 free locks the next week, you still get 5.
  • Reduce the cost to 5r
I think this would be nice, and it would still balance out the economy, which would make the mods happy in turn, and also make the community happy for the 5 free locks every Monday.
That's a good idea though i think 5r is still a little much. I personally think the price should be eliminated, but from what ive seen this isnt happening, so i think this is a good compromise :)

In all honesty I would like the the price for locking to be free or at least 1 regal because in all honesty a protection plugin like deabolt or lwc is there so you can protect your stuff from thievery not there as a money sink.
If you logged into a server and found you are charged for locking chests that will give an immensely bad image for the server.
We hear a lot on the help forum about people getting stuff stolen with the typical answer "being deadbolts your stuff " but with a fee to deabolt your stuff the answer will now be "get money/sell your stuff to lock it".
Not only that I can imagine people coming into someone home where most their stuff is not locked because they can't afford to lock all their chests and because of this some jerks with lots of money locks all his chests.
Monmarty said that you can just sell the stuff in your chests but really here's a good question
Why sell your precious hard earned items and blocks to lock a chest when in the past it was 100% free?
If you can't lock all your stuff because of lack of money is that a good design for a plugin that's designed to protect your stuff?

Since no one has made a suggestion thread yet, and everyone was complaining, I figured I'd go ahead and make it :P

Stuff I would like changed:
  1. Price: make it free to make chests. This price is just annoying, and it doesn't even show up in the /money log.
  2. Opening Notification: If the chest is owned by you, then don't have it display a message, only if it is owned by someone else. This could help reduce needless spam.
  3. Edited in: Make LWC chests expire after 20 days just like deadbolts.
Those are the only things I want changed so far, but if others could leave their ideas below, I'll edit them in.
Thanks!
LWC chests expire after 20 days, just like deadbolts. This feature was installed with LWC and is a custom feature for MassiveCraft.

I do enjoy some of the features that this plugin brings. And not having private signs anywhere, just magic locking spells: great job on that. All those different types of protections, flags, advanced commands; it's a great deal more advanced than deadbolt (for better or for worse...) But the cost is really a HUGE issue. If you absolutely insist on keeping it, lower it to 5 regals (or less. Less is more). I know it has some hidden benefits, like deflating the economy and encouraging trade, stuff like that, but this really is not the way to go about those issues. A personal belonging protection plugin does not entail anywhere that it has anything to do with the economy. And I know you have to pay for security in real life, but this is not real life. It's cool watching you guys balance reality and fantasy on this server, but kindly leave this aspect of reality out of Massive. And really, seeing this... Thisonesonus.PNG Is just a big slap in the face. I know the whole "5 free protections" thing is supposed to be generous, but it's been "on you" for as long as we've had a protection plugin on this server. It makes it seem even more unjust. Not trying to rage or be rude here, but that's just how I view it. Thanks for respecting my opinion, and let's all hang onto this transition period like it's a gift from the gods. ~Gary

I recommend a reimbursement for removed chest.
This will encourage people to go and remove old unused doors and chest.

Less ugly flying doors and old chests left in the wild.

Yes, make it 10 or even 20 per chest! But make it refundable!
Give me my money back if i remove the protection. Or at least, say, half of it.
Would solve a lot of problems with derelict chests from still-online-players

Not sure if it's a common problem, but if I want to add/modify more people to an iron door it won't open anymore.
If I click it just stays that way. It won't open or close.
Could it be fixed?

I'm assuming the money thing can be fixed in a configuration file? Could we get this changed in one of the next few updates? It wouldn't really take that much effort :P

And thanks for the great input and ideas guys :)

Id rather have nothing on my chests than spend my Regals on protection. With all the regals I spend, they could be used to buy more items.

Id rather have nothing on my chests than spend my Regals on protection. With all the regals I spend, they could be used to buy more items.
This is the question that I expect everyone to ask before they lock a chest. Gone is the time when looting is done by locking every chest in sight. So, if a looter isn't going to lock the chest, because the contents aren't valuable enough, does the owner need to lock it? Is it worth 10 Regals to me, if someone were to steal the contents of that chest?

Question: is there any visual clue that a chest is locked with the LCW plugin and can we get charged twice if we try to re-protect a chest or something

Question: is there any visual clue that a chest is locked with the LCW plugin and can we get charged twice if we try to re-protect a chest or something
There is no visual clue until you try to interact with the block. Then you will get a message saying something like: That chest is privated by yendor46. and if you can't access the block a second line saying: That chest is protected by a magic spell. You can use /cnospam to remove the first line, but you then won't get any notification if you can access the block. If you try to add a protection to a block that is already protected, you will get a red notice saying something to the effect of: That block is already registered, and the command will fail.

Your not getting the point whatsoever. The charge for the chests doesn't really benefit anyone, actually it hurts the economy more than the benefits. Lets start with the primary people with the market: merchants.

Most merchants I know have a large chest space dedicated to their profession, and I know this mainly because of people like Thortuna, Cowboys or some of the other up and rising merchants, and I was also at one point a merchant myself. I had a good chest room with about 60+ locked double chests, full of goodies or other stuff I'll use later to combine with other materials to make a good that people demand. Now, when merchants usually share another faction with others, this can become a problem for the following reasons.
  1. Everyone on Massivecraft is on the Internet. We don't know what they really could be doing unless we were there. That means they can use hacks, break rules, and do stuff they shouldn't be doing when we aren't looking. Guess what category stealing from chests falls into?
  2. Faction fall outs are common. I've been a victim of faction betrayal and lost a large source of money that way. This usually affects most merchants shops, usually driving up their prices. I'll touch on that later.
  3. The biggest of them all is trust. When you share a faction with another person, you have to have some kind of trust in them. Now, once being a faction owner, I know that you have to invest in trust heavily to grow and expand a faction, but sometimes it can have devastating effects when a faction member goes against you and steal everything you have.
Now, back to my point, merchants have large chest rooms, which is vital to our profession, however what if they can't afford to protect their all of their stuff? Well, they start to aggressively sell stuff, trying to get every regal they can to pay that darn 10 regals they don't have. But what if they still can't sell their stuff, because every other merchant is also competing so they can pay to protect their stuff. What happens here? Debt. Lots and lots of debt, most likely borrowed from the rich or banks, such as Mechbank. What happens to large amounts of debt? Everything goes up in price drastically, which in turn makes the consumer, or the people, eventually poor. What happens if everyone is poor and is in deep debt? The rich take over and then a sudden surge in slavery will pop up and war will be much more rampant and out of control, eventually pushing you mods and admins to the limits.
Now, I'm not asking you remove the cost, all I want is for it to be lowered, or heck, consider my solution on the previous page. All I'm saying is that if the 10 regals doesn't go down, this will lead to a much less enjoyable experience on the server, not just for us, but for you and your minority group.
Even the best economist can only make possible predictions about how any given change will affect the economy. We are currently tracking a number of economic indicators, which can be viewed at http://www.massivecraft.com/massivemoney-day and the related weekly and monthly graphs. This conversation can't really continue in a meaningful way until we have at least a month of data, or probably 2 months, as most of the 1st month will be the transition period.

Please be assured that the ability to collect this information was added because we want to track the economy. We will be tracking these indicators, and will make adjustments as needed.

I 100% agree with this, paying to lock chests is ridiculous and I think will drive people away. Yendor said today that the reason deadbolt was removed because of the glitch with hoppers, so now players can't steal items but the server takes money from you? Is that really better? Rather than a low risk if theft you have a guaranteed loss.
I find myself agreeing with This statement. I have a chest storage of over 1250 double chests and I would deem it unfair if I had to pay 12500 regals to keep my storage. Then again all you have to do to go around this pluggin is mine a chunck to bedrock an then restrict access, and hope that you did not forget to leave ally container perms off :p

I like the idea for the chests, but it can also give horrible problems for people who dont check their chests often enough.
Not in a way of dissapearing of the deadbolt, but the insurance if it is still up there.
Also the price is way to high. It is just not easy for somebody who has played the game for several moths, and now has to lock all their chests with an extra cost of 10Regals. But if you make a base, you are quickly past those 5 free locks.

I think the deadbolt system would have worked just as good, and would be less trouble.

What happens here? Debt. Lots and lots of debt, most likely borrowed from the rich or banks, such as Mechbank. What happens to large amounts of debt? Everything goes up in price drastically, which in turn makes the consumer, or the people, eventually poor. What happens if everyone is poor and is in deep debt? The rich take over and then a sudden surge in slavery will pop up and war will be much more rampant and out of control, eventually pushing you mods and admins to the limits.
Well, now I actually support this change to the deadbolt system.
I suggest we all elect Luthien as our new leader once the revolt is over.
Down with Justinian!

I like the idea for the chests, but it can also give horrible problems for people who dont check their chests often enough.
Not in a way of dissapearing of the deadbolt, but the insurance if it is still up there.
Also the price is way to high. It is just not easy for somebody who has played the game for several moths, and now has to lock all their chests with an extra cost of 10Regals. But if you make a base, you are quickly past those 5 free locks.

I think the deadbolt system would have worked just as good, and would be less trouble.

The main reason they switched is because there were a lot of bugs with Deadbolt and some people lost a lot of stuff. I agree with the change, but not with some of the configured features.

With a cost for locking chests this is a very likely scenario

Hermit has 8 chests, 5 are locked along with an unlocked door and trap door
the 3 unlocked chests has wood/cobble/dirt etc
Jerk dude comes into his hermit house and steal his stuff from his unlocked chests and locks everything he hasn't yet locked
Hermit comes online to see that his stuff have been stolen/locked
A scenario that involves a jerk officer locking everyones unlocked chests/stealing is also just as likely

In the past deadbolts were abused a lot and placed everywhere at times, lwc has a fee to stop this but still with the fee abuse can still happen along with rampart thievery
A protection plugin is there to protect everyone's stuff and privatise chests but because of a fee to lock chests not all of your chests can be locked due to money restraints
With a fee this large on just locking a chest locking all of your chests is discouraged along with moving chests and as a result of this thievery will simply sky-rocket.
Monmarty said this will result in a much better economy which I certainly can agree with but if you must give away the ability for anyone to easily lock all of their chests is it really worth it?
If you can't lock all of your chests or must spend hundreds of regals on locking all of them is this a good thing for protection plugin, something designed to protect your items?

I agree that new players may be discouraged from staying. Many new players don't stay very long, and that's without having to buy deadbolts. If you joined a server, unaware of a great community, and discovered you had to pay to protect your stuff, wouldn't you leave and go join a server with free protection? Players, correct me if I'm wrong, only receive 300r upon joining the server. That's 35 (factoring in the first 5 are free) chests they can protect, at the maximum, not factoring in the need to buy starting materials. If you set aside 100r for materials, they'd only be able to claim 25 chests, and then there's doors and other facilities besides storage. I think the idea can work, but the cost should be lower than 10r. I'd say no higher than 5r.

I think that recently they have stopped giving the 300r to new players, as much to my knowledge.

Since this is a suggestion thread here's and idea from me.
With the ability to lock beds you can just place a bed outside a faction, lock it and go to that faction at any time. If you are the owner of that faction you can just cover but it will make the place look ugly. With the ability to lock a bed it is possible to make warp that cannot be broken. So to prevent this I ask that bed locking be disabled since with it its possible to make a unbreakable warp(unlike portals).

The Fong family likes to embrace new things. So yesterday we decided it was time to update all of our old cruddy locks with some shiny new LWC locks. I knew it was going to be expensive to get everything locked up, but it's just a cost of doing business. Here are a few things I learned during the process, maybe this will help you.
  • You can lock doors, trapdoors, levers, almost any block. (They all cost 10R)
  • The locks look SO much nicer without protection signs spammed all over the place.
  • Password protected doors are going to be a big hit. Lots of fun!
  • Public and Donation chests do not currently work in Regalia. They can only be opened by people with perms for the area they are in. This means no mailboxes for now.
  • Hoppers don't dump into LWC chests without an extra flag added to the lock
So how do I feel after spending hundreds and hundreds of regals to lock up all my junk? I love the new LWC and hope others will soon embrace it (or your stuff won't be locked up!).

And I do love DrFong's enthusiasm about LWC. It is a marvelous plugin! And I do mean that; I am not being sarcastic. The ability to protect an expanded list of blocks will go a very long way on the long run. And the fact that there are different ways to protect chests will improve upon the functional and RP experience of running factions, among other things.

Stop.

I would like to point something out about chests with the new LWC system: There are four commands to
protect them. This includes(And I know a lot of us know these commands. Hopefully.)-
  • /cprivate - Personal protection, for your own belongings.
  • /cpublic - A chest made accessible to anyone. However, it is protected, therefore no one can destroy or slap their protection on it with say, /cprivate .
  • /cpassword - Similar to private protection, except it requires a password to open it, allowing a shared chest without having to /cmodify it(Well, for you lazy folk out there.).
  • /cdonate - Protection acting similar to /cpublic , except one can only place items into it.

Of course, I mean to summarize the purpose of each their usages, albeit to my form of description. Anyhow, on to the actual issue: the relationship of /cprivate to the other commands. The other three were created(I assume) with the intention of social interaction and base function. By that I mean things like public storage, mail, etc. The charge for creating these: 10 Regals. This makes sense, since it is meant to be used for purposes other than one's own interest, for the most part.

Now, this is not to do with chest protecting itself, but is related: door protection. This also makes sense, to place a 10 Regal charge towards protecting it, using any of the commands. It is, again, meant to be a social matter, along with /cprivate 'ing a door. I would guess that this emphasizes a "lock" on a door, which is sensible. /cpassword is relateable to the last statement. I included this paragraph to not only state my agreement with the 10 R charge to doors, but to the entire list, save the /cprivate command when concerning chests.

Now, I have played on this server for a year and four-six months now(I began approx. two years ago), and the only thing I have ever disagreed on until recently was the "premiums wear diamond only" feature, and for this reason: I love this server. I have always had hope that it would blossom into something amazing, although I have never publicly expressed it.

But taking the only security people can rely on to protect their own personal belongings and slapping a price tag on it to "limit spreading private chests in every ruin" is not the right call. I believe that this was done to target the current players of this server to limit their ability to "private the bananas out of expired chests." New players were completely factored out, as well as the general community. Again, I emphasize that this is my theory on this action. And it is a theory because of what I have seen posted here. The message I get out of it is this: Lower or remove the price on /cprivate 'ing a chest.

I happen to agree on this statement, not only for my sake, or the current players' sakes, but for the new folks who seek a new beginning on this server. Those that will end up staying here, that will become the next merchants, kings, emperors, warriors, whatever their heart's content. I do not see this happening if one can only protect 35 chests, and for one finite(limited) instant at a time, assuming all of their Regals go towards protection, counting the 5 "freebies" that can be used on other things. Like someone else mentioned and worded very well, that is a slap in the face by Massivecraft(to the new players' eyes) and again assuming it is used for chest protection.

There is another thing to consider: selling items on the market. Mercantilism. Being a merchant. Offering services. Everyone that actively participates on selling items and services to consumers, being one themselves(as that is how a running economy runs) on this server is practicing an actual trade that can be used in real world applications to benefit themselves and the economy as a whole. In short, business. And how does one get there? Support, a teacher, practice, and eventually, awesome self-confidence.

New players tend to not be practiced in business, and do not immediately become merchants. They may not ever. Maybe they just want to play for a good while and get familiar with the server before actually bothering someone to ask them: "Could you help me sell some things? I need money." This server is great, but can treat newbies with prejudice. A lot of people don't want unproductive members. Many don't wish for inactive members, or casual ones(well, that I'm sure I'm wrong about. For the most part.). I know I don't like people who don't read rules, but they don't possibly because they just want to play the bloody game. It takes patience to coach "non readers" to read rules, or documentation. I'm sure it takes more to teach one business. Even more if they decide to take the "DIY"(Do it Yourself) route.

We all play in our own way, and if there's one thing I know we all love, it's a little thing we like to call privacy. Very beneficial if we can do it for free.

Oh and one more thing, since I literally ran out of space: I sincerely apologize to those that wrote/enhanced the plugin if making that single change isn't as easy as it sounds. But I cannot emphasize the need for this change enough.

Am I wrong or am I right? Have I articulated mine and the majority's feelings about this issue correctly?

EDIT: I *facepalmed* myself. When I mentioned "...point something out..." above, what was meant to be included was basically this: /cpublic 'ing a chest voids the issue with people "stealing" public chests by privating them. It is already protected by /cpublic . Yes, this is derp for me, but I just woke up.

Here are a few more of my thoughts about LWC costs, etc.
  • It makes sense to RP - You are buying a lock and key for your door or chest.
  • Anti-Hording makes you think about what you store - No more spammed chests filled with garage. People will think before locking chests and doors unlike before LWC costs.
  • Five double chests for free is a lot of storage for a beginner.
  • 10 Regals will buy 20 steaks at my McClownalds Restaurant chains. Is that too high for a lock and keys?
Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I am lucky enough to be able to afford all the doors and chests I needed to lock. During my locking spree I trashed about 3 doublechests of junk that was no deemed worthy of locking up. I know it made me think a lot more about wasted space. I think it's a good thing to be more efficient with storage.

New things are always hard and I am sure there will be some growing pains with the new plugin. Keep calm and soldier on MassiveCraft.

When I was a newbie, I worked hard on mining because I had a dream that I would create something big, so I stocked up on building materials, to be exact I had 2 full double chests of Stone Bricks alone. That actually doesn't get you very far in terms of building something really big, but it still took up a lot of space. It may not seem valuable to someone that's been long on the server, but for a new guy working those mines, smelting stone, crafting all that up, it takes quite a bit of work, and you want to protect it.

New people doesn't quite have a sense of "is this worth keeping" compared to people that's been here for a long time either. 5 double chests is nothing for a new person, because everything seems and probably is valuable starting out.

Having a limit of only 5 chests free also promotes being disorganized and throwing everything in the same chest which, for someone as anal as me, can be quite irritating. I don't want my coal with my diamonds, with my pickaxes, with my logs, with my stone bricks. Each type of item or even subitem deserves their own chest to keep everything in order, even if it means there are a few empty slots in a chest.

1. If I may discuss something OTHER than the cost:

So… I'm currently building stuff all around Daendroc out of the kindness of my own heart and restoring massive griefed areas…blah blah blah… we all know what I've been up to… but… when I go to 'illuminate' this stuff I've been using glowstone blocks (or powered glowstone blocks). Now any one who's been on the server for more than a millisecond will know that a glowstone block out in the open (unprotected by a deadbolt) will last about 5 minutes before some freckled git steals it. If I have to spend the rest of my time replacing these I'll not have any time left for the rest of my altruisms… please please please include Glowstone blocks (and powered) in the blocks which are allowed to be LWC protected. I'm not sure it stops there either – you may want to broaden the spectrum a bit.

Also I'm assuming that the current scenario persists where 'outsiders' can't interact with a chest inside a faction claimed area regardless of lock status?

Think of the cost as being you paying for a padlock, or the lock itself.

I have suggestion for LWC and the massiveCraft abuse rule.

I would like to have the policy changed so that you allow locked floors inside factions.
Then it would be possible to build a secure vault in one chunk for more then 10 players.

Have it written so that only the faction owner is allowed to use it on a full floor.
Then it would be removed at the same time as the faction gets auto disbanded.

Also. Remember that a full floor would cost 2560 r.

If we were refunded when we break whatever we lock I'd be far more okay with this. Just annoying watching my money drop to lock a door.

Instead of a refund on the the LWC locked items when we remove them how about if it added more freebies, aka we purchased the lock but we get to reuse it later, that way people who have 50 trillion locked chests are still paying out the nose but someone who just wants to arrange the chests in his house isn't having to pay just to move their chest across the room.

Instead of a refund on the the LWC locked items when we remove them how about if it added more freebies, aka we purchased the lock but we get to reuse it later, that way people who have 50 trillion locked chests are still paying out the nose but someone who just wants to arrange the chests in his house isn't having to pay just to move their chest across the room.

That's actually pretty brilliant. They could add a command to show you how many locks you have remaining and how many you have active.

This may be possible(since massivecraft added the price for locking chests) although this is up to the staff to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.