Archived Introducing Halflings/kender As A Race?

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavranzo

Refugee
Reaction score
Heyo! I am quite new here on the forums, but I thought I wanted to publish some of my thoughts concerning halflings/kender (if you haven't read Dragonlance ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kender).
And when I say halflings (or kender, just put the /kender in every time you see the halfling-word) I don't mean the fat, lazy, farmer hobbits from Tolkien. No, I'm talking about lean, strong, soft-eyed halflings, who ain't gonna die until they have seen it all! Intelligent (Well, not too intelligent), jovial, adventure-loving halflings. I'm totally into the idea of walking around, stealing (or "lending"), stabbing murderous-looking cows, and just trying to survive in this world of hatred.
So, without further ado, let's jump right into everything!

Lore:
Halflings had led their lives farming, fishing, building and what-have-you-not, in solitude until the day that they were discovered by human kind. The halflings, thrilled to see such tall, rich humans, had enthusiastic taken their chance to do business and travel with the humans. The halflings soon made their mark across all the world, "lending" stuff, terrifying innocents with their practical jokes and all-in-all being what the world around them would call "vermin". Prisons were filled to the brim with halflings, who had picked up object which had "accidently" fallen into their pockets. The orcs had taken action, and together with the undead and Dakkar, has started to eradicate this "plague" from the world. Though the world may stand against them, the halflings will fight to the last breath. Seeking to rebuild the honor which they (thought they) had in the days of yonder, the halflings will stand together, to face the threats of the world, which is hastily unraveling before their very eyes.

Yeah, well, I have never been a great writer, so I am content with what I have whipped up :P
Now to the technical parts of this race.

In game (Minecraft):
Their race bonus would perhaps be:
Cannot be affected with vampirism (Of course).
10% more movement speed (?)
10% more hunger regained when eating (?).

Out of game (?):
Appearance: The halflings are small-boned, lean and often also quite intelligent (Often not wise, though).
They are wilder and more fearless than "hobbits" and sometimes cruel as only children can be. They are also described as brave, taunting, daunting and cute. They have pointed ears (like elves) and they do have quite a resemblance to the elves. Colors of skin, hair and eyes varies greatly. They are very energetic and can sometimes talk fast and rambling, which makes them hard to understand.

Like it or not, this is what I had in mind ;) Feel free to comment (constructive criticism appreciated) and vote! Cheers mates!

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Moved to Feature and Idea Discussion.

Heyo! I am quite new here on the forums, but I thought I wanted to publish some of my thoughts concerning halflings/kender (if you haven't read Dragonlance ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kender).
And when I say halflings (or kender, just put the /kender in every time you see the halfling-word) I don't mean the fat, lazy, farmer hobbits from Tolkien. No, I'm talking about lean, strong, soft-eyed halflings, who ain't gonna die until they have seen it all! Intelligent (Well, not too intelligent), jovial, adventure-loving halflings. I'm totally into the idea of walking around, stealing (or "lending"), stabbing murderous-looking cows, and just trying to survive in this world of hatred.
So, without further ado, let's jump right into everything!

Lore:
Halflings had led their lives farming, fishing, building and what-have-you-not, in solitude until the day that they were discovered by human kind. The halflings, thrilled to see such tall, rich humans, had enthusiastic taken their chance to do business and travel with the humans. The halflings soon made their mark across all the world, "lending" stuff, terrifying innocents with their practical jokes and all-in-all being what the world around them would call "vermin". Prisons were filled to the brim with halflings, who had picked up object which had "accidently" fallen into their pockets. The orcs had taken action, and together with the undead and Dakkar, has started to eradicate this "plague" from the world. Though the world may stand against them, the halflings will fight to the last breath. Seeking to rebuild the honor which they (thought they) had in the days of yonder, the halflings will stand together, to face the threats of the world, which is hastily unraveling before their very eyes.

Yeah, well, I have never been a great writer, so I am content with what I have whipped up :P
Now to the technical parts of this race.

In game (Minecraft):
Their race bonus would perhaps be:
Cannot be affected with vampirism (Of course).
10% more movement speed (?)
10% more hunger regained when eating (?).

Out of game (?):
Appearance: The halflings are small-boned, lean and often also quite intelligent (Often not wise, though).
They are wilder and more fearless than "hobbits" and sometimes cruel as only children can be. They are also described as brave, taunting, daunting and cute. They have pointed ears (like elves) and they do have quite a resemblance to the elves. Colors of skin, hair and eyes varies greatly. They are very energetic and can sometimes talk fast and rambling, which makes them hard to understand.

Like it or not, this is what I had in mind ;) Feel free to comment (constructive criticism appreciated) and vote! Cheers mates!
The staff are currently not accepting any new races, but thank you for trying.

The guy (s) who picked "With a bit more work, perhaps yes", please tell me what to worn on :) It would help greatly.

My only issues are these:

First and foremost, I'm not sure how close to the original halflings this race is. I've not played much D&D, but I know that linking a page to a wiki concerning the race might indicate that you are attempting to make it very close to this race. In which case, it would be denied on grounds of copyright if it were even considered.

Secondly, with the 10% speed buff, they would become painfully overpowered in PvP combat, speed would end up beating strength, especially with the hunger regeneration increase. Please keep in mind that, though MassiveCraft is an RP server, it has many elements that some would argue makes it as much a PvP server.

Thirdly, if halfling/kender are originally the names of this race, you'd need to possibly change that as well (though I'm not 100% certain on that). It's easy to get away with "elves and dwarves" since they're seen in every fantasy setting imaginable, however a more specific race that's only been seen in one game might be a bit more difficult to "get away with".

Finally, there needs to be more with the lore than there currently is. If you look at the lore for the other races, there is a lot of text written about them. From their origins, to their location within the world, to why they would be in Regalia. You essentially have a list of character traits and a very non-lore compliant reasoning for them to be "hunted". To my knowledge, the undead, dakkar, and orcs wouldn't be the ones hunting these creatures, (well, perhaps they'd kill the ones that crossed them) the orcs would enslave them, the undead wouldn't really care, and the dakkar would just eat them. The humans, elves, dwarves, etc. would be the races that would jail these creatures. No race would outright hunt them just because they steal stuff.

Sorry for the massive amount of criticism about this, however I've noticed people replying and not really giving a reason, aside from not accepting races, that the race might not be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.