Archived Everyday Magics

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffyPigeon

The puffiest damn pigeon of them all..
Reaction score
Faction
Jin
Kingdom
The Empire of the Great Jin
Roleplay Guilds
Hightower, Vindicators
With the whole rewriting of magic on the server and the new trustee system, I doubt the first thing someone would want to hear about is another rework or large scale change. But, I'd thought I'd toss in my two cents and suggest something I thought would be nice to have around.

There is hardly any magic usage or understanding in this fantasy environment, at least on the server. The wiki is full of mentions of magic in race cultures such as Saivalthar or Ch'ien-Ji, but rarely can anyone play around with these characters without having to go out of their way to get staff attention and be trusted veterans of the server. This is also a likely reason as to why these races are hardly played, sadly.

Something interesting would be to have underlying magic for everyone. An easier way to imagine this is like how much for instance an average person uses plastic in their daily lives without realizing. Everyday actions like simply making dinner, taking care of houseplants, or reading done with small imlipmentations of magic to assist. Average people who took maybe a week out of their time to learn how to blow a candle out from the other side of the room. People who wish to call themselves "mages" would instead need to spend years on learning to conduct larger actions like levitating large objects. These are the people whose characters would need permission to be played.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So let's re-iterate.

You want something to be lore compliant that you can already do in private, which will probably be outlawed in public if it becomes lore compliant forcing you to only do it in private or suffer consequences that the guard has to deal with, with absolutely no bearing on narrative, drama or progression just to provide flair and fluff for roleplay?
a) no. i would never do this in private. i am always lore compliant. and b) there's literally wiki pages about made up drinks: flair is welcome here.

a) no. i would never do this in private. i am always lore compliant. and b) there's literally wiki pages about made up drinks: flair is welcome here.

So you would have a piece of lore passed only for the assembly to pass a law against using it the other day, and then use it to give more job to the guards and possibly get arrested after a few usages of the abilities which you previously highlighted have no bearing or possibility to influence major events or stories?

You could just run around wearing a mask and it'd have the same effect.

b) there's literally wiki pages about made up drinks: flair is welcome here.

And then you state that going Superhuman High School levitating stuff about is the same as emoting "Ithanian Cabernet" instead of "wine"?

So you would have a piece of lore passed only for the assembly to pass a law against using it the other day, and then use it to give more job to the guards and possibly get arrested after a few usages of the abilities which you previously highlighted have no bearing or possibility to influence major events or stories?

You could just run around wearing a mask and it'd have the same effect.

And then you state that going Superhuman High School levitating stuff about is the same as emoting "Ithanian Cabernet" instead of "wine"?

Okay, at this point, you're being a Devil's advocate, which is a bit unnecessary. The OP was meant to suggest something fun, or cute, to add a bit more to the RP environment. You can disprove it, it's fine we want to hear the flaws, but also come up with nice solutions, but not to this extent where it's just unpleasant to read and unpleasant to participate in the topic.

Okay, at this point, you're being a Devil's advocate, which is a bit unnecessary. The OP was meant to suggest something fun, or cute, to add a bit more to the RP environment. You can disprove it, it's fine we want to hear the flaws, but also come up with nice solutions, but not to this extent where it's just unpleasant to read and unpleasant to participate in the topic.

I formulated my critique in a single comment and an elaboration on its relation to lesser acts of magic. You two pried me for it, in a dozen comments, and I finally see you understand the main issue with the suggestion.

A solution? Could come up. But sadly, you'd have to re-trace our coversation to my original comment where I mentioned the core issue.

How will this not intrude on the roleplay preferences of those who would like to retain the current level of immersion?

How will this not intrude on the roleplay preferences of those who would like to retain the current level of immersion?

We have to figure out the details first, before that could be figured out.

I finally see you understand the main issue with the suggestion.

And I saw your understanding, I was trying to give a solution, but you were playing a Devil's advocate. I'd rather not agree with you to be honest, cause I like this idea and see it grow.

You can disprove it, it's fine we want to hear the flaws, but also come up with nice solutions, but not to this extent where it's just unpleasant to read and unpleasant to participate in the topic.
I have a few flaws to share.
  1. Magic spells take a really long time to learn for those that even manage to become mages, how long would this take? How pricey would it be?
  2. What's the point of being a mage if magic is available to everyone?
  3. Won't this result in half the playerbase if not more becoming semi-mages again which is why the magic rewrite happened in the first place?
  4. Mages have to have interacted with something magic related during their life to even be able to learn magic. Wouldn't these weaker mages have to have the same type of experience?
While this is an interesting idea I think it was mainly put out here because players miss the opportunity of magic and how rare it has become with the new rewrite. But really in the first place it was meant to be rare. If any minor form of magic should remain I think the Vampirism and new Elven Panthelon abilities should remain. This idea was creative, but I don't believe magic should be played this way and so often. Remember our Intellect and Fighting Schools deserve some love too. Not that they haven't been receiving that respect.

As fun as this sounds, I feel like it already exists in the form of multiple, rarely used racial traits. Anything more than we have will complicate the already fragile race-magic relationship, especially considering that straight up magic is a trait the Shendar and Wolothar have, and adding it for everyone would just devalue the Shendar and Wolothar.

The RP would be funny though.

"Oh, neat, you can heal people by cutting yourself? Here, tell me all about it while I levitate a mug of ale into your hand."

Beyond the Faith of Estel rewrites, there is no planned implementation for additional magic. Massivecraft's Lore is not magic-centric in the way that Harry Potter, Elder Scrolls, and other fantasy universes are. Magic is intended to be rare and have an aura of mystery surrounding it. This is one of the many reasons that the Magic Lore was reworked several months ago.

I am locking this thread because while the difference in opinions and the new ideas being expressed are welcome, the way in which they are being expressed are not. Please mind that you use as clear and concise language as possible, and avoid making passive aggressive quips at each-other. Also, remember to use proper grammar when engaging with someone you disagree with; it comes across as rude and dismissive if someone posts a well-written and genuine message, and the most you can respond with is an amalgamation of internet trollspeak written without capital letters or half-decent punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.