Archived Different Initial Spawn Town/'noob' Town

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecharic

I'm tempermental, deal with it.
Reaction score
Faction
Al'Darub
Roleplay Guilds
Emerald Alliance
I'm not sure how well this will be received, as I personally have mixed feelings over it... but at least read this through before judging it.

The Problem: Noobs. Noobs everywhere. You go into Regalia and all you see are noobs stacked on top of noobs RPing as batman, asking where the docks are, complaining "I can't build, where do I build?" I don't think theseare stupid questions, but I do think that in the roleplay capitol of the server is NOT the place to be asking them. It interrupts roleplay, annoys the heck out of people, and isn't handled well in a giant city where it's easy to get so lost you starve to death and die.

The Solution: A small town built in a world that has only minimal world-edit (basically, Ithania jr.) where noobs have their initial spawn. This world would serve multiple purposes: introducing new players to server mechanics and features, providing a buffer zone for world grief, and weeding out the 'online for 20 minutes then never again' players. It would allow noobs to start on the server without getting lost in a giant city they can't edit surrounded by houses they can't rent while being disliked by players they don't know.

This world would have some features to make it more noob-friendly:
  • Lower rate of aggro mob spawning.
    • No MassiveMobs spawn here
  • Series of beginner quests to get them supplies while teaching them how to use the server.
    • I suggest quests that give them food, wood, iron tools and chain mail armor, as well as a dab of roleplay and a quick explanation of the server's mechanics.
    • Also something that shows off premium to new members so they end up wanting to donate.
  • Smaller town than Regalia (something the size of Valaen) with another port town (about the same size) the the quests eventually get the player to. From that port town a ship to Regalia.
  • Once you leave you cannot go back, so no powerful premiums can slaughter noobs at whim. I suggest having an NPC quester there who tells them that they won't be able to return "So gather your things and come back when you have them."
    • "Storms are brewing, we can't make port there. Sorry buddy."
    • "There's a group o' pirates haunting the passage, it's not safe."
    • Different excuses each time you try to use the ship back.
    • Cannot take the initial ship out if you have a chest in the beginner world.
  • No portals enabled in this world.
  • MCmmo levels double for all members (helps them not suck when they get to Regalia).
  • Drops them off right in the harbor when they reach Regalia, so no lost noobs lol.
  • When a player leaves this world all of their stuff resets to the original world (prevents world grief).
The Result: New Players won't be noobing it up at Regalia, will gain stats, supplies, experience, and knowledge in the beginner world and won't be starting with nothing at all, would create a buffer world for generic griefers, and would help new members not suck when they start looking for factions.

Final Word: I personally think this idea has merit, if only to help new players learn about the server without wiping out worlds to do it. I'm not even sure if all of the parts of this world are possible, but as many should be used as can be used. So, lets hear the replies.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The idea of noobland is appealing right out of the gate, but it has longer lasting effects that far outweigh the good that it does.

When you separate the noobs from the experienced, the noobs have no one to look for how to act. It stagnates their progression, and when they finally do leave their little noobland, they'll be worse off than they would have been just tossed into the thick of things. Not many people seem to realize, but the progression of players seems to be a constant, from what I've observed. (Note, these are based on Roleplay players.)

They start off on the server with really silly skins that aren't medieval at all. They'll go around being either really quiet, not really saying anything, or being INCREDIBLY LOUD. Generally they'll go with vampire or elf. Eventually they'll find some other people, most likely friends from off the server or other newbies, and they'll have their little group. Continuing to stick to themselves, or go around being loud. Over time however, depending on how people respond to their roleplay, they'll shift more towards certain roleplay. They'll read more into the lore, they'll ask questions on my RP Q/A thread......

It's kind of like watching children through their developmental stages...

TL;DR - Bad idea. Better to throw the fish straight into the ocean, let them flounder a bit, before they find the currents than to let them stagnate in a kiddie pool.

The idea of noobland is appealing right out of the gate, but it has longer lasting effects that far outweigh the good that it does.

When you separate the noobs from the experienced, the noobs have no one to look for how to act. It stagnates their progression, and when they finally do leave their little noobland, they'll be worse off than they would have been just tossed into the thick of things. Not many people seem to realize, but the progression of players seems to be a constant, from what I've observed. (Note, these are based on Roleplay players.)

They start off on the server with really silly skins that aren't medieval at all. They'll go around being either really quiet, not really saying anything, or being INCREDIBLY LOUD. Generally they'll go with vampire or elf. Eventually they'll find some other people, most likely friends from off the server or other newbies, and they'll have their little group. Continuing to stick to themselves, or go around being loud. Over time however, depending on how people respond to their roleplay, they'll shift more towards certain roleplay. They'll read more into the lore, they'll ask questions on my RP Q/A thread......

It's kind of like watching children through their developmental stages...

TL;DR - Bad idea. Better to throw the fish straight into the ocean, let them flounder a bit, before they find the currents than to let them stagnate in a kiddie pool.

I'd just like to run this by you as I did with the other individual who had the same argument:

What if players could apply for, say, 'Noob Guidance' duty where they go into the noob world with staff approval and help teach the new players. Naturally this would take out of their time, but it would also allow them to influence the future players of the server and quite probably influence the new players choice of faction and gameplay (RP, PvP, Mix, ext). Basically a world where you need to make the whitelist in order to access it from Regalia, but in which noobs start out and can travel away from.

That said, you make a VERY good point here. What I was aiming for was more of a Salmon-in-the-River style of introduction (to use your analogy). They start as small fish in a small place and by the time they reach the ocean they're large enough to not be eaten right off the bat.

I agree with Mecharic. The ideal noob world would be a world that would gently help the noob integrate into the Massivecraft server, allowing him/her to become familiar with the principles of roleplay as well as the server plugins with minimum frustration. It would by no means be a motionless stage of the new player's server experience. To the contrary, it would teach the player quite a bit about server lore and mechanics.

Mecharic

Well it shouldn't be anyone's "duty" to deal with newbies. A newbie guidance would be overused by people who don't need it (Similar to how some people intentionally get themselves into trouble to be involved in guard roleplay.) or not used because people rarely ask for help. Especially newbies. Pride truly is the bane of advancement...

I agree, it'll bring more players to massivecraft who'll stay and who want to be involved and active instead of trolling and causing annoyance and irritating people. Sure ,when i invite people to play I send them loads and loads of links to read up on; links about how to RP, PvP, Building, Mechanics, Different Plugins. They're all like "Nah, too much, I'll just go over here and play something easier where all I do is spam the click and murder everyone with dirt blocks."

"noobs stacked on top of noobs RPing as batman"

lol trying to steal my vibe
agree

Love this idea, although I could see the Double Mcmmo skill advancement idea turn bad, but besides that Completely agree with the idea.

I LIKE.
This would be very good. THe amount of times I've seen a guy in a non-medieval skin roleplaying as a god/immortal/EPIC MAGE OF DOOM WITH LIGHTNING BOLTS OF ETERNAL UNDEATH is horrible.
It would also teach server rules, which is brilliant. Especially seeing as it would teach them to get a medieval skin, instead of going around as a troll/pedobear/rainbow unicorn fish from Atlantis.
I don't think there should be a power level limit, seeing as I have two accounts and have been on for..9 months I think, and between them I don't have over 550 MMO.
This is a beautifully thought out idea, and without anything else to add on to it, I shall give my lovel-dovely-rainbow
Support!

Mech, I love the way this concept is evolving - you have my full and undivided support.

I'm somewhat ashamed to say I spent at least a month when I first arrived not even realising there were more maps than Ceardia. An intro world with quest driven NPCs could really help to enliven the experience while simultaneously educating about rules, features and the community.

There are some really exciting opportunities here to introduce a richness to the Lore and back story all the while offering incentives to dig further into the worlds (sort of in the same way Skyrim does).

Nice work mate.

Ok, so I do believe that the updated idea is as follows:

Alterations Made
Removed Removed
Okay Idea
New Idea
Important

This world would have some features to make it more noob-friendly:
  • Lower rate of aggro mob spawning.
    • Mobs become more dangerous as you get farther away the spawn point(s).
  • Series of beginner quests to get them supplies while teaching them how to use the server.
    • I suggest quests that give them food, wood, iron tools and chain mail armor, as well as a dab of roleplay and a quick explanation of the server's mechanics.
    • Also something that shows off premium to new members so they end up wanting to donate.
  • Smaller town than Regalia (something the size of Valaen) with another port town (about the same size) the the quests eventually get the player to. From that port town a ship to Regalia.
  • Once you leave you cannot go back, so no powerful premiums can slaughter noobs at whim. I suggest having an NPC quester there who tells them that they won't be able to return "So gather your things and come back when you have them."
    • "Storms are brewing, we can't make port there. Sorry buddy."
    • "There's a group o' pirates haunting the passage, it's not safe."
    • Different excuses each time you try to use the ship back.
    • Cannot take the initial ship out if you have a chest in the beginner world.
  • No portals enabled in this world.
  • MCmmo levels double for all members (helps them not suck when they get to Regalia).
  • Drops them off right in the harbor when they reach Regalia, so no lost noobs lol.
  • When a player leaves this world all of their stuff resets to the original world (prevents world grief).
  • Allow older players to enter this world, though perhaps with some kind of whitelist(?) or MCmmo limiter so they don't just go around mass-slaughtering noobs.
  • Race-Centered Villages for racial information and start-up quests.
  • Central Road to a Port to Regalia, with stoppoints along the way for safety.
  • Make clear mention of there being many ships and maps. Also note that Regalia isn't editable.

So, is this accurate to what the people want?

Loving it Mech... but a small spanner to the works in the form of an extra very minor consideration if I may (sorry).

I think your concept is a 'must have' and I prey to the almighty Notch-bird that it gets up... but... I'd like to open up a discussion regarding the "minimal world-edit" as you suggested in this 'intro' world.

One of the good things about Regalia is it's pristine beauty and the fact that it's the first thing new visitors see it is an excellent 'advert' or first impression for the server as a whole.

[SIDE NOTE - although the /uspawn point is mega-naff. Yes we need signs but please in a more open space with decorative gardens or something]

Like every other 'free-to-edit' world on this server the landscape in your suggested 'intro' town will eventually decay through minor cobble atrocities, digging, chopping and the likes... even with the so called "minimal world-edit" restrictions. Eventually the intro town will look like something out of The Lorax.

Is there some way we could introduce a monthly 'reset' for the wilderness areas of this town and use it as a nice excuse to add some lore/RP. For example: it's a mysterious land where people and entire villages have been known to disappear.

New visitors are forewarned by signs, NPC character dialogue (and more) not to stray out into the wild for too long and drop the hint in someway so even an idiot can discern that what's being said is "hey - don't build there and expect your lovely hut to still be there in the morning".

Perhaps visitors are given temporary tenancy over a small apartment in the town while they get their feet?

Any ideas guys?

Loving it Mech... but a small spanner to the works in the form of an extra very minor consideration if I may (sorry).

I think your concept is a 'must have' and I prey to the almighty Notch-bird that it gets up... but... I'd like to open up a discussion regarding the "minimal world-edit" as you suggested in this 'intro' world.

One of the good things about Regalia is it's pristine beauty and the fact that it's the first thing new visitors see it is an excellent 'advert' or first impression for the server as a whole.

[SIDE NOTE - although the /uspawn point is mega-naff. Yes we need signs but please in a more open space with decorative gardens or something]

Like every other 'free-to-edit' world on this server the landscape in your suggested 'intro' town will eventually decay through minor cobble atrocities, digging, chopping and the likes... even with the so called "minimal world-edit" restrictions. Eventually the intro town will look like something out of The Lorax.

Is there some way we could introduce a monthly 'reset' for the wilderness areas of this town and use it as a nice excuse to add some lore/RP. For example: it's a mysterious land where people and entire villages have been known to disappear.

New visitors are forewarned by signs, NPC character dialogue (and more) not to stray out into the wild for too long and drop the hint in someway so even an idiot can discern that what's being said is "hey - don't build there and expect your lovely hut to still be there in the morning".

Perhaps visitors are given temporary tenancy over a small apartment in the town while they get their feet?

Any ideas guys?

This did pass through my mind, but I rather think that *MAYBE* there could be two identical worlds. They both reset every 3 months, but not at the same time. New players would be sent to the most recently reset world (which would always have at least half it's life left). If they take more than a month to filter their way out... then wow.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and make it so where the noobs have to reach a power lvl of something like 5000 to come back.

This would be horrible 0_0 all i like doing is rping, building, and trading, my power level only goes up when i unintentionally do get it up.

This would be horrible 0_0 all i like doing is rping, building, and trading, my power level only goes up when i unintentionally do get it up.
I'm the same way, and while I'm all for the idea of a tutorial island, a power level requirement of something that high, simply to get the chance of revisiting it, would not only lead to potential newbie-killing sprees, but also prevents people who never train their power level from helping them fully understand the various plugins and mechanics.The disappointment of not being able to play with their friend until they go through a really big tutorial section often leads to boredom (believe me, I've had this happen with numerous friends and games).

I support the idea of a whitelist.

Maybe just a time limit before noobs can use nicknames would be good, so that don't hop in and players know the difference?

A whitelist is a terrible idea.
While I appreciate the honest response, it seems to be the most reasonable suggestion (at least to me) for revisiting that anyone's brought up. Honestly, I've got no idea what other prerequisite could work.

Perhaps they could just turn PVP off entirely on the island, including in its wilderness. The tutorial is there to teach you about the game, not to put players at each others' throats.

A whitelist is a terrible idea.

It would be a whitelist on solely the starter world(s). It would exist solely so that staff can send people they trust not to go on a noob-killing rampage into that world to help guide noobs through the early stages of their time on MassiveCraft. The only alternative is to turn of pvp on that island, which would be a blow to pvpers as a community being represented in this map.

Why is pvp just not enabled in this world?

If this world does become a starter world it will be the first impression of massive craft for all of the new faces.
Removing PVP from this map will be sending the obvious message to these new players (that massive is a non pvp server) which it is and is a very good one.

If player killing is a big issue I suggest we think of another way to "moderate" it than the above.
Also white listing will regulate the people coming in but will also remove many casual gamers that do not wish to fill out forms and wait for answers.

Turning off pvp in this world would screw up the entire noob viewpoint of the server. It would also cripple the premium and pvp population of the server by making it seem that the staff don't care about them anymore - and even I don't want that.

Also white listing will regulate the people coming in but will also remove many casual gamers that do not wish to fill out forms and wait for answers.

We don't really want casual players, we want serious players who are going to put time and effort into helping new members get their game up to standard. Casual players are good and all (I'm one of 'em) but not for teaching new players how to do well on MassiveCraft.

What about, if experienced role players or Veterans of the server would be picked for a sort of Jury Duty every once and a while?

7302comdedypv6.gif

What about, if experienced role players or Veterans of the server would be picked for a sort of Jury Duty every once and a while?

That would be great if it was some sort of automated mail that got sent out to certain veterans every once in a while like "Hey, we've given you the ability to go to the noob world now, can you work on giving noobs a helping hand for a few hours or so?" What would completely screw the idea up is if it was a mandatory teleportation like, "YOU WILL GIVE NOOBS TUTORIALS FOR THE NEXT WEEK OR SO, OR YOU WILL PAY!" Maybe make it so when noobs get to the end of their "quest", they would have any option to basically type a command that says "Veteran player _______ really helped my tutorial", and the veteran would get 100 regals.

Anyway, onto the topic of pvp in this world. There should probably be at least some form of pvp, although it would be made more "noob friendly". One good way to do so is to basically make it so noobs only drop their armor and hotbar if they die, or something like that.

Well, Its a system that works for countless other games and servers. Massive isnt a super duper special case where everything works weird and different. It isnt Soviet Russia. Its still a game. Its still a server. It could use better noob introduction. You learn best through playing a simple tutorial. People who arent going to put the effort into completeing it will quit and be sifted out. People who will wont be wandering around Regalia shouting "HOW DO I BUILD?!" In local. As well, it could get the noobs aquainted with the races system we have going and through quests and rule signs and ect. teaching them the rules. Mabye even have a rule maze quiz that makes them learn all the rules to progress before they can even get through to the truly playable part of the world. Regardless, the tutorial islands on runescape and maplestory do new players a world of good, and it could be applied here and do many new players just as much good. There will always be those ignorant people who somehow manage to get through it without learning anything or paying any real attention, but it'll make those who are capable of using their brain so much better off.

Mecharic So Mech. Idea. "have a rule maze quiz that makes them learn all the rules to progress before they can even get through to the truly playable part of the world." Just incase you dont read my other post directed at Xskill. This has worked on other servers, and worked well. Basically you spawn in before a rule maze, and have to read the rules. You read through the rules and then have to go through the maze where it asks you questions about the rules, you pick the right door, and if youre right you proceed and if you're wrong you go back to the beggining.

This is so evil, and so brilliant. I love it *-*

Maybe, it can be part of the way to Regalia, where the quest givers say things like:
"That's the Dark Forest. Many adventurers have gone lost in there. You should enter it only when you are ready."

Having a themed maze, like a jungle or a thick forest, might be nice, and it could be in the part of the way where the road from the multiple villages joins, so we have only a maze before the person goes to Regalia.

KSTRandom - That is sort of like what I imagined this world to be, except with less sign reading and more gameplay right off the bat. Perhaps such a quiz could be placed at the end of the road that leads to the docks, and they need to prove they learned the game well enough to get to the ships?

KSTRandom - That is sort of like what I imagined this world to be, except with less sign reading and more gameplay right off the bat. Perhaps such a quiz could be placed at the end of the road that leads to the docks, and they need to prove they learned the game well enough to get to the ships?

Thats brilliant! And if they fail, they could be warped back to the spawn, and so they have a chance to go back and pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.