Archived 1.9: Features, What They Do, And How Massive Should Handle Them.

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

65jes89

Leader of SunKiss
Reaction score
Faction
SunKiss
Kingdom
The Holy SunKiss Empire
Now, straight off the bat, I'm going to say that Massive should not update to 1.9. Honestly, it really has very few changes that aren't either based around the End (which is disabled on Massive) or PvP, and as the vast majority of PvPers dislike the "Combat Update," it would make the most sense to remain on 1.8. However, I sincerely doubt that not upgrading will get any serious consideration from the staff, so I've gone ahead and made this thread, where I will highlight pretty much every change that 1.9 is making, explain what it does, and then give my opinion on how (if at all) it should be implemented on Massive. Most of my information will be coming from here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.9, or another source, which I will link when I use it.

Attack Speed: Disabled
The attack speed change is probably the most controversial and well-known change that 1.9 makes. Essentially, in 1.9, there is a "attack strength" mechanic. What this does is create a cooldown between each of your attacks. This can be modified using nbt tags or the like, however the default speed for a sword is a full-strength attack approximately every .63 seconds. (This may not sound like a very long time, but keep in mind that most PvPers click well over 10 times a second. I personally click around 12-13 clicks per second, and there are many others who can click well above this). This also affects tools, including axes, which have also been changed to do more damage, and have a chance to temporarily disable shields (more on that later). This essentially creates much less "skill" in PvP, makes PvP quite a bit slower (a full god fight can last upwards of 10 minutes currently), and essentially eliminates any sense of accuracy (which is very difficult to maintain while "jitter clicking," which is how PvPers achieve such high click speeds), and effectively makes the game much more ping reliant. This is due to the way that PvP pretty much becomes exchanging hits, rarely reaching combos above 2 or 3, which are essential to current PvP. This means that the person who hits first in each exchange will get the advantage, and as the first hit is highly based off of the player with higher ping, means that the player with the higher ping gains the advantage.

I could truly devote an entire post to just this topic, but for the sake of brevity I will end it here and elaborate as needed in the comments.

Dual Wielding: Enabled
In 1.9, there becomes an option to hold two items or weapons at once. There is, however, a quite essential limitation which keeps this from becoming overpowered: You are restricted to only using the left click action for the item in your left hand, and the same goes for your right hand. For example, this means that while you can hold both an axe and sword at the same time, you can only attack with the weapon in your left hand, as you must left click to attack, and left click only affects your left hand. This does, however, allow for actions such as holding a torch in one hand and a pickaxe in another, as the pickaxe requires the left click function and the torch the right. This can also be used for shields, which I'll cover later. One important function which is blocked (and I agree with) is blocking the ability to swing while drawing back a bow. If you have a bow in your non-dominant hand, and you begin drawing back, the other item you have selected will disappear and you will be unable to use it while your bow is being drawn back.

Sweep Attack: Disabled
This is a pretty simple change, which basically creates a non-mcmmo area-of-effect attack, although this attack is much weaker than skullsplit or serrated strikes. The sweep attack is enabled while not sprinting and hitting, and does a half heart of damage, along with knocking back any near-by entities with the force of 80% of a knockback 1 enchantment. I'm pretty much against this one just because we already have skullsplit and serrated strikes enabled, and so this isn't really needed.

New Enchants: Disabled
There's two new enchantments in 1.9, and frankly neither of them really belong on Massive. I'll go ahead and talk about the first one, frost walker, which turns water you walk on into ice, which well then melt back after a few seconds. I'm pretty much opposed to this one, because again, it's just not needed. It should also be noted that both of these new enchantments cannot be obtained through normal enchanting, but instead must be found in dungeons, mineshafts, or the like. This means that so long as the staff do not give out the enchantment or add another way to obtain it, it will remain disabled.

The second enchantment is mending, which I'm opposed to because it simply makes the game easier. Mending works by automatically converting xp you pick up into durability on any item with this enchantment, creating a way around the vanilla limit anvils put in place. Essentially, it would create more of the like that the /fix command has created, further inflating the god armor market. I personally think the server should be headed the opposite way, by reducing the supply of god armor in the economy, rather than making the supply larger and driving the god armor price further into the ground.

Spectral Arrows: Enabled
Spectral arrows add a new effect to the game: glowing. This creates an entity "shadow" which outlines entities, including players and mobs, and allows those players to be seen through walls and such. (Example here: http://bit.ly/20Kq8eQ). When hit with a "spectral arrow" you are hit with this effect. The arrows are crafted with 4 glowstone around the arrow, and since the glowing effect doesn't really do much of anything bad, there's no reason for them to be disabled.

Levitation Effect/Shulkers: Enabled
Shulkers are new mobs which were added as part of the End Expansion, which revamped the dragon fight and added a second part to the End, which includes cities and special forests (more on those later). They look like blocks, and hit players with rays which give them the new levitation effect, causing the player to rise several blocks in the air. (Picture of shulker: http://bit.ly/1Q6Rj1Y). So long as they are relatively infrequent, they could be added to MassiveMobs pretty safely, although they should be rather rare due to the pure annoying factor of being hit with levitation while trying to build/darkroom/pvp/whatever.

Elytra (Wings): Modified
Behind the attack indicator, this is probably the second most publicized addition of 1.9. Elytra work as gliders, slowly taking damage overtime as you use them to fly (Unbreaking can be added to them). The only issue with elytra, is that they're very, very fast. This means that if someone is able to get to a high spot (Such as the SunKiss Citadel or Deldrimor Tower), they can pretty much run from anyone with little chance of being caught. For this reason, I believe it should be 100% disabled in combat, regardless of being pacifist true or false. (Ie if you've been hit at all in x amount of time, it should not work). They are however, a ton of fun, and so there's no reason they can't be used for travel or just for the fun of it. It should be noted, however that:
  1. There is currently no crafting recipe (they're found in the end cities I mentioned above), and so a custom recipe would have to be implemented.
  2. They replace your chest piece, meaning you have to make off your chest piece to fly.
Chorus Fruit: Disabled
In 1.9, as part of the new area in the End, there are forests of "chorus plants." On these plants, something called a "chorus fruit" grows. When eaten, these chorus fruit randomly teleport the player around, similar to the way endermen teleport. This means that not only will all bases become penetrable with enough luck, but if someone is being chased in PvP, they can simply eat a chorus fruit, shift, and suddenly their chaser has no idea where they've gone. Seem a bit overpowered? I agree. :P

Chorus Plants: Enabled
The plants themselves, however, I see nothing wrong with. They grow on endstone, and there drops can be used to create new building blocks, "purpur blocks," which are purple, and I don't really see any reason they should be disabled. If needed, a custom recipe could be added instead, and keep the plants disabled. The same goes for "end rods," which are a new light source, and require a cooked chorus fruit to create. Again, however, a different custom recipe could be added.

Grass Path: Enabled
This is another one that just doesn't have a reason to be disabled. It looks pretty good, and is created by right clicking a grass block with a shovel. Nothing much to it.

Beetroots: Enabled
Pretty much the same thing as the grass path above. They can be used to craft stew, which is edible, and otherwise act just like any other crop.

Dragon's Breath & Lingering Potions: Disabled
Dragons breath is obtained by right clicking a special attack of the ender dragon with a glass bottle, and can be used to create lingering potions. Lingering potions are potions with "linger," creating a small area where any player/mob will experience the effect of whichever potion is made into a lingering so long as they remain in this area. I believe these should be disabled just because they wouldn't do much but buff traps, which Massive has no need to do.

Shields: Enabled
Shields are crafted out of wood and iron, and can be put in the non-dominant hand to act as the sword blocking feature (which was removed). When right-clicking, you block with the shield, you take reduced damage and knockback. Additionally, you cannot attack while blocking. Using an axe, the shield can also be temporarily disabled, as there is a chance for an axe to disable the shield, which can be increased by sprinting and a few other things. They also completely nullify armor damage, should you be blocking and the arrow hits the shield. They're essentially a slightly different version of the old sword blocking, with slightly disabled mechanics (and block-hitting is disabled for real this time ;-( ), and so I don't really see anything overly unbalanced about them.

Tipped Arrows: Disabled
Tipped arrows are arrows which give the target their designated status effects when hit. This extends to all brewable potions (not sure how mcmmo potions would react), from blindness to speed to haste. They are crafted using the corresponding lingering potions, which I mentioned above. I believe they should be disabled for the simple reason that we already have traits to achieve this same thing, and while I still don't really care for traits, I do prefer them over the tipped arrow approach.

Protection/Sharpness: ???
Both the protection and sharpness enchantments have been nerfed. I don't really have a problem with the way protection 4 and sharpness 5 interact, so I don't think they should be changed, however I'm unaware if it's possible for these enchantments to be reverted to their 1.8 values. I do think that they should be highly tested before the server updates, rather than crossing our fingers and hoping they work out okay.

Blaze Powder for Brewing Stands: Enabled
In 1.9, it is now necessary to put blaze powder into the brewing stand (in a new slot), which is then used similar to coal in furnaces. One piece of blaze powder allows for 20 ingredients to be added and brewed, and I personally think that's pretty reasonable.

Armor Changes with Damage: Disabled
In 1.9, armor protection now decreases as the durability of armor goes down. I personally dislike this, because again, if Massive wants to implement something like this, they could do it with axe damage, or reducing the armor durability back to normal (All armor on Massive currently has 3 times the vanilla durability of diamond).

Boats: Enabled
Boats have finally been "fixed." Personally, I don't think they're really any better, but hey. They've been changed to have oars, be able to carry a passenger mob, and you now propel them by alternating between the a and d keys. It's kinda hard to explain, but all in all, I don't believe this can actually be changed back to 1.8, and there's not really anything really wrong with the new boats.

Golden Apples and "Gapples" (Enchanted Golden Apples): Enabled
Normal golden apples have been nerfed to giving regeneration 1, and enchanted golden apples now give regen 2 for 20 seconds and 8 full hearts of absorption. I dislike the normal gold apples being nerfed, however I do support the nerfing of enchanted golden apples, and now think they're more than safe to be enabled. However, the crafting recipe for enchanted golden apples has been removed, and so would have to get a custom crafting recipe.

Enderpearl Cooldown: Disabled
1.9 has now added its own enderpearl cooldown, however it much, much shorter than Massive's. I, and most PvPers, don't really have a problem with the current cooldown, and so I believe the current cooldown of 15 seconds should be kept.

So. That was a lot. It took me a couple hours to write, and so I did skip over a few smaller things which don't really relate to PvP or Massive in general, such as dragon heads, and new mob behaviors. If there's something I missed that pertains to Massive, feel free to remind me below :).

@MonMarty @Sevak @BenRekt @morrc5 @DemonicDagger @Stonejrod @HeartAched @Shaneski101 @Genecide65 @spoonly @Alj23 @DarShauwn @Jackmo_Jones @Sinthe @Ziburinis @_Erebos_

Please, please, consult the player base before making any final decisions. We truly do care about Massive and where it's going, and don't want to see the server "go under" because of a loss in interest in pvp.

Additionally, just a reminder to keep the flame out. It has no use, and there's no reason staff need to go through and delete your comments. Please keep all posts completely on topic, and don't try to insult others because of their views on the update. :)

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hey!! First off Jes this is amazing. I love how you went ahead and wrote the master list and I really agree with each item. I do have one question tho...

Tipped Arrows: Disabled
Tipped arrows are arrows which give the target their designated status effects when hit. This extends to all brewable potions (not sure how mcmmo potions would react), from blindness to speed to haste. They are crafted using the corresponding lingering potions, which I mentioned above. I believe they should be disabled for the simple reason that we already have traits to achieve this same thing, and while I still don't really care for traits, I do prefer them over the tipped arrow approach.
Might I suggest that, if possible in the config or whatever is used to change game mechanics... We only disable the debuff ones? Would it be too much of a game changer to allow arrows with health or strength or whatever be enabled?

Hey!! First off Jes this is amazing. I love how you went ahead and wrote the master list and I really agree with each item. I do have one question tho...

Might I suggest that, if possible in the config or whatever is used to change game mechanics... We only disable the debuff ones? Would it be too much of a game changer to allow arrows with health or strength or whatever be enabled?
In that case, I believe it would then require changes to the faction plugin to enable hitting faction members/allies with the arrows, so that they can get the debuffs. However, in all honesty, most of the buffs aren't really worth using. However, I don't really see anything wrong with it other than the consideration of whether it would be worth the coding to enable it. But that's a bit above my pay-grade :P

In that case, I believe it would then require changes to the faction plugin to enable hitting faction members/allies with the arrows, so that they can get the debuffs. However, in all honesty, most of the buffs aren't really worth using. However, I don't really see anything wrong with it other than the consideration of whether it would be worth the coding to enable it. But that's a bit above my pay-grade :P
Ah so you have to get hit... its not like a splash potion when hit? because you can throw splash pots on your faction members/allies

Said everything that I planned to say when the time was necessary.

Good job jes.

if someone is being chased in PvP, they can simply eat a chorus fruit, shift, and suddenly their chaser has no idea where they've gone.
From what I've seen with using the chorus fruit, it only teleports you a short distance, so I'm not sure how good it would be to eat it in the middle of a fight. You would take quite a few hits while you're eating it, only to lose the attackers for a few seconds. But I do agree that they could probably get into a base, which wouldn't be good.

From what I've seen with using the chorus fruit, it only teleports you a short distance, so I'm not sure how good it would be to eat it in the middle of a fight. You would take quite a few hits while you're eating it, only to lose the attackers for a few seconds. But I do agree that they could probably get into a base, which wouldn't be good.
I agree no fruit... but I like the purple block

Fantastic post Jes! Well done my friend, well done. Hopefully this can give some insight to the staff as to what us players would like to see in 1.9. But I had a different opinion on the Elytra. Yes, it does take the place of your chest piece, making you more vulnerable and can get quick dropped so hard boi, but really, we have flywater which is relatively similar. But Bravo on your post bb.

Attack Speed: Disabled
The attack speed change is probably the most controversial and well-known change that 1.9 makes. Essentially, in 1.9, there is a "attack strength" mechanic. What this does is create a cooldown between each of your attacks. This can be modified using nbt tags or the like, however the default speed for a sword is a full-strength attack approximately every .63 seconds. (This may not sound like a very long time, but keep in mind that most PvPers click well over 10 times a second. I personally click around 12-13 clicks per second, and there are many others who can click well above this). This also affects tools, including axes, which have also been changed to do more damage, and have a chance to temporarily disable shields (more on that later). This essentially creates much less "skill" in PvP, makes PvP quite a bit slower (a full god fight can last upwards of 10 minutes currently), and essentially eliminates any sense of accuracy (which is very difficult to maintain while "jitter clicking," which is how PvPers achieve such high click speeds), and effectively makes the game much more ping reliant. This is due to the way that PvP pretty much becomes exchanging hits, rarely reaching combos above 2 or 3, which are essential to current PvP. This means that the person who hits first in each exchange will get the advantage, and as the first hit is highly based off of the player with higher ping, means that the player with the higher ping gains the advantage.

I could truly devote an entire post to just this topic, but for the sake of brevity I will end it here and elaborate as needed in the comments.

EDIT: I respect your opinion which you presented here. I don't want you to change them, but rather have a discussion about it :) /EDIT

I appreciate your explanation on the click-speed, I however want to raise the question: Shouldn't we rather use trial and error and adapt the speeds? :)

As much as Mojang has put thought into the hit-speed, we could too (if necesarry). I strongly believe that things will work out a bit differently on MassiveCraft and the 1.9 changes will have to go through a test-phase. Often in developement it is bad to shut down ideas when they come up. I won't shut down yours, but I ask the same from you.

In my opinion, it is one of many possible outcomes of a testing phase with 1.9 that we decide to actually set attackspeed to the "1.8" speed. Other outcomes could be that we might want to have such "cooldowns" but adjust them for massive. Maybe all of them need the same cooldown, maybe some need a special adaption. Maybe it is being decided that the speeds are actually fine and fun, maybe attracting players bejond the current PvPers. We simply are unable to know if we do not test through-fully.

Cayorion thought us that coding by instict or following the first feel of a situation, we end up with putting much more work into a problem than actually needed. A lot of coding is required to revert 1.9 (with it's obvious positive [non-pvp] sides) back to the 1.8 state. It thus makes much more sense to allow the mechanics which are not immediate threats to security and test them, adjust (code wise) only if needed.

An example of an immediate threat is the chorus fruit. It is not available since we do not have an End, so we do not have to have to worry about it just yet. ;)

Last edited:
Adding an End world would be awesome! Not because of 1.9, but we have a rift. The end is cool, you can gather end stone easily too rather than the crafting recipe which I think is a pain in the butt.

Adding an End world would be awesome! Not because of 1.9, but we have a rift. The end is cool, you can gather end stone easily too rather than the crafting recipe which I think is a pain in the butt.
What is the current reason we DONT have an end world, other than... its just not been made... I would assume there was some discrepancy with some feature...

What is the current reason we DONT have an end world, other than... its just not been made... I would assume there was some discrepancy with some feature...
When it was introduced, the Enderdragon could be slayed exactly once. For a server like us, this was not an option. Other things that were worthwhile to have (endstone), have been added as a crafting recipe and we didn't have any reason to create an end from a gameplay perspective. It was pretty much useless.

The situation has got a little better. The respawn feature in Vanilla is (maybe) usable for a custom landscape, but it would have to be analysed whether everything works fine in a custom setting and thus if its usable by us.

But with massivemobs cant they adjust the spawnrate of endermen in the end?
Yeah, something along these lines is totally possible.

So this is all fine and dandy, but why change anything? Just so spam click "PvP" (quoted because real PvP requires skill, not click speed) players don't have to adapt? It would probably be more fun for everyone, and I would probably PvP more because it brings skill into the game, and minimizes click speed and farming patience. Some people would leave, but I can gaurentee that more people would PvP because it becomes a game of skill over speed. Of course scrap end stuff for lore reasons.

Edit: Chorus fruit aren't op, they're double edged. What if you to to water/lava? You also don't know where your enemy is. Pretty even I'd say.

Last edited:
With regards to chorus fruit, I think that it should be disabled in PvP so that you can't use it to sneak away from a fight unless you're already running and have nothing to lose cause you went pvp inactive. They're not especially OP unless they have a long range, and they're no more OP than pearling out of harms way or into a base, and if you make walls thick enough they can't get someone into a base either right?

I believe some jitter-clicking techniques come with developmental problems, like carpal tunnel and arthritis at early ages. Wouldn't this new speed help maintain the long-term health of the players?

Just want to say that haste pots reduce attack speed cooldowns. So you can swing a bit faster f you have the effect.

Personally I see where PvPers come from, since this update changes the entire pvp gameplay. But at the same time, I think this update has god potential with it's changes. I will sincerely miss the old days, but eventually these changes will become the norm, so better to start learning it now than when everyone is forced to adapt to it. I like how it makes the game a bit more realistic, despite being the bane of PvPers.

I'm with the staff on this one and think that we just have to see how it works out before we jump to conclusions on it. It may prove to be very fun.

I believe some jitter-clicking techniques come with developmental problems, like carpal tunnel and arthritis at early ages. Wouldn't this new speed help maintain the long-term health of the players?
There has been at least one study (probably more, this is the only one I'm aware of) that have proved that jitter clicking is actually safer to do over the same amount of time than normal clicking is. I personally have been jitter clicking for nearly 2 years and have never had any issues with carpal tunnel.

I'll reply to the other comments when I'm home at my computer.

There has been at least one study (probably more, this is the only one I'm aware of) that have proved that jitter clicking is actually safer to do over the same amount of time than normal clicking is. I personally have been jitter clicking for nearly 2 years and have never had any issues with carpal tunnel.

I'll reply to the other comments when I'm home at my computer.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/carpal.html They list vibrating as one of the risks of causing carpal tunnel, although they use it under the context of tools.

EDIT: I respect your opinion which you presented here. I don't want you to change them, but rather have a discussion about it :) /EDIT

I appreciate your explanation on the click-speed, I however want to raise the question: Shouldn't we rather use trial and error and adapt the speeds? :)

As much as Mojang has put thought into the hit-speed, we could too (if necesarry). I strongly believe that things will work out a bit differently on MassiveCraft and the 1.9 changes will have to go through a test-phase. Often in developement it is bad to shut down ideas when they come up. I won't shut down yours, but I ask the same from you.

In my opinion, it is one of many possible outcomes of a testing phase with 1.9 that we decide to actually set attackspeed to the "1.8" speed. Other outcomes could be that we might want to have such "cooldowns" but adjust them for massive. Maybe all of them need the same cooldown, maybe some need a special adaption. Maybe it is being decided that the speeds are actually fine and fun, maybe attracting players bejond the current PvPers. We simply are unable to know if we do not test through-fully.

Cayorion thought us that coding by instict or following the first feel of a situation, we end up with putting much more work into a problem than actually needed. A lot of coding is required to revert 1.9 (with it's obvious positive [non-pvp] sides) back to the 1.8 state. It thus makes much more sense to allow the mechanics which are not immediate threats to security and test them, adjust (code wise) only if needed.

An example of an immediate threat is the chorus fruit. It is not available since we do not have an End, so we do not have to have to worry about it just yet. ;)
I do not have a problem with testing it out, as I truly believe that any pvper with legitimate experience, on Massive or otherwise, will come to the same conclusion as me. Click speed is truly a vital factor in PvP, and without a decently high click speed and decent accuracy it's pretty difficult to get combos. Pretty much the only argument that is ever used against click speed and jitter clicking (Besides the generic "poor 10-year olds losing their spam click overpoweredness l0lz") is that it "takes no skill." Yet, anyone that really attempts to PvP in minecraft while jitter clicking can quickly find that your accuracy essentially goes to hell when you first start jitter clicking. It takes weeks, sometimes longer, to be able to click at high speeds with an accuracy decent enough to make decent combos.

All in all, I just don't get why anyone would want to enable the speed cooldown. It makes PvP generally slower (by a lot), reduces the skill needed, and although it would reduce the learning curve of getting into PvP, it would also turn away almost every PvPer who comes to Massive. I mean sure, some people claim that as soon as people can't "spam" click they'll immediately become pvp legends, but I just don't think there's much truth or logic to this. I mean, they'll pretty soon figure out that they're basically even with everyone in terms of "skill," or lack thereof, and that it basically comes down to random chance, and after all who really wants to play a video game where the results are completely random? It's like gambling with nothing at stake.

I think a development phase will in the end be extremely detrimental in the long run, and the short run for that matter. My reasoning behind this is that any "development phase" would end up having to last several weeks, due to getting enough time to gather information, and then to make the appropriate changes. With such a long period of time, and no guarantee that the server will get reverted, a large (if not all) portion of the PvPers on the server and leave, with no guarantee of coming back. This is bad for the server for obvious reasons.

That being said, I see no issue with a test server being created to test out the features, so long as Massive stays on 1.8 until the staff come to a consensus.

With regards to chorus fruit, I think that it should be disabled in PvP so that you can't use it to sneak away from a fight unless you're already running and have nothing to lose cause you went pvp inactive. They're not especially OP unless they have a long range, and they're no more OP than pearling out of harms way or into a base, and if you make walls thick enough they can't get someone into a base either right?
Currently the range stands at up to 8 blocks in any direction (though it's been changed between 8 and 32 several times), so basically unless you want to have 8 block walls everywhere.. And that also leaves spaces which you would have to have doors or whatnot to get through the walls.

Just want to say that haste pots reduce attack speed cooldowns. So you can swing a bit faster f you have the effect.

Personally I see where PvPers come from, since this update changes the entire pvp gameplay. But at the same time, I think this update has god potential with it's changes. I will sincerely miss the old days, but eventually these changes will become the norm, so better to start learning it now than when everyone is forced to adapt to it. I like how it makes the game a bit more realistic, despite being the bane of PvPers.

I'm with the staff on this one and think that we just have to see how it works out before we jump to conclusions on it. It may prove to be very fun.
The issue with the "adaption" argument is that we will not adapt, we will simply leave. PvPers do not want a clicking limitation, and it is essentially a game-breaking feature to us. So rather than stay on Massive and "adapt," we will simply move to a server with better options, of which there are several.
So this is all fine and dandy, but why change anything? Just so spam click "PvP" (quoted because real PvP requires skill, not click speed) players don't have to adapt? It would probably be more fun for everyone, and I would probably PvP more because it brings skill into the game, and minimizes click speed and farming patience. Some people would leave, but I can gaurentee that more people would PvP because it becomes a game of skill over speed. Of course scrap end stuff for lore reasons.

Edit: Chorus fruit aren't op, they're double edged. What if you to to water/lava? You also don't know where your enemy is. Pretty even I'd say.
I have essentially addressed everything you've said above other than the chorus fruit.

As for the chorus fruit, they use the same algorithm as enderman teleportation, ie you cannot teleport into liquids of any kind.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/carpal.html They list vibrating as one of the risks of causing carpal tunnel, although they use it under the context of tools.
As you pointed out, they spoke of power tools, not jitter clicking, and power tools vibrate much stronger, are often being used in addition to applying force on something, and so I don't think that's really a very fair or realistic comparison.

All in all, however, I don't think this argument is particularly relevant to the conversation/suggestion at hand.

I just think it's important to point out potential long term health hazards. See, if the new update would remove the need to jitter-click, it would also remove the potential health hazard. I do agree that power tools are a poor comparison, but that doesn't change the fact that your hand/arm (depends on how you do it) is vibrating. It could possibly be worse than powertools, since power tools vibrate your hand, and jitter clicking is you vibrating your hand.

Last edited:
All in all, I just don't get why anyone would want to enable the speed cooldown. It makes PvP generally slower (by a lot), reduces the skill needed, and although it would reduce the learning curve of getting into PvP, it would also turn away almost every PvPer who comes to Massive.

The first sentence has made me think. A lot of hugely succesful games (WoW, DOTA, ESO, among many other MMORPGS) have a cooldown system. These games do not allow "hit per click" either, all meele atacks have some sort of mini-cooldown between hits (let alone any non meele attacks) and players are not offended. I get what you say, we had that system for years now and to change it means to break with tradition.

But seeing all those really popular games out there working with exactly such a cooldown/hit per second/damage per second system makes me positive about this change in gameplay.

You say that people will be gone after testing time, which possibly (and sadly) is true, but I believe in communication. If it is being communicated well how long a testing phase is, what its goals are and how the playerbase can contribute, I can only hope that rational people like you would not turn down a server they have played on and enjoyed for such a long time over a testing phase. And oddly enough, if everyone leaves, who stays behind voising the opinion that this is not the right way to go?

Last edited:
The first sentence has made me think. A lot of hugely succesful games (WoW, DOTA, ESO, among many other MMORPGS) have a cooldown system. These games do not allow "hit per click" either, all meele atacks have some sort of mini-cooldown between hits (let alone any non meele attacks) and players are not offended. I get what you say, we had that system for years now and to change it means to break with tradition.

But seeing all those really popular games out there working with exactly such a cooldown/hit per second/damage per second system makes me positive about this change in gameplay.

You say that people will be gone after testing time, which possibly (and sadly) is true, but I believe in communication. If it is being communicated well how long a testing phase is, what its goals are and how the playerbase can contribute, I can only hope that rational people like you would not turn down a server they have played on and enjoyed for such a long time over a testing phase. And oddly enough, if everyone leaves, who stays behind voiding the opinion that this is not the right way to go?
I think the big issue there is that minecraft (and Massive, despite its attempts to imitate one) isn't really a mmorpg game. I think games like you mentioned above are more about strategy and teamwork, while Minecraft pvp simply doesn't really have anything to do with strategy. They're really just different games, with different types of combat, and I don't really believe that an attack cooldown fits Minecraft, or Massive. It just leads to the game not being as much fun, for the reasons I have stated above.

I think your theory about communication would work, in a perfect world. But, of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Additionally, I don't think you can really guarantee how long it will take to code the changes, because, as you said above, it could be quite time-consuming. And as for the last sentence... well if you don't have any PvPers left, who's going to support the server? Because ultimately, this is about retaining the PvP community, as they will be the most affected by this, and support a good chunk of the server, as several staff members have mentioned.

I just had a realization on a few things that I want to share:

I think it's safe to assume that McMMO is going to have a huge redo with 1.9. For example, Swords wont be able to initiate the counterattack skill since you won't be able to block with a sword. Also, axe skills will probably be redone, because (speed aside) the current specs would make 1.9 axes op. One hit and you're probably down a lot of hearts.

Onto my opinion with the armor. So I believe we have a few problems with the amount of god armor in circulation? And I have seen threads about people saying /fix is overpowered.
What I'm getting at is this: The armor will lose protection points the lower the durability is, so a big goal in 1.9 is to keep durability up. Massive has /fix, which many players think is game breaking.
Lone and behold, Mojang introduces mending as an enchant. I think if we removed (or heavily nerfed) /fix and keep mending, this might help fix the economy somewhat.
My logic is this: The god armor will get really weak at low durability. By nerfing /fix, said armor will remain weak, and will probably end up in either a fire or salvaged for the books on an anvil. The only armor that will remain in circulation will be the ones with mending, which is assumption is correct, will be rare. This not only will eventually remove god armor from the economy due to the difficulty to repair it, but will increase the prices of the "better" mending enchanted god armor. So win-win from what I see.

Going on to the features and such. I'm a firm believer that Mojang has made 1.9 balanced if everything remains how they made it. Changing up the defaults even by a bit can throw the whole system out of whack.
They also have created brand new methods of combat techniques. I'm actually going to list some of these techniques:

-Bombing runs (Elytra + lingering potions.
-Bow and Sword combo. Charge up the bow. If enemy gets too close, whack with sword.
-Shield and weapon. Basically the new default.
-Aerial dogfight. Eltyra with arrows. Can lead to some intense fights in the skys.
-Winged combat. Kinda a repeat of dogfights, but extends to include every method above. You could theoretically use land techniques in the air, which is definitely hard to do.
-para-trooping. use the Elytra as a parachute and parachute into an enemy base.

All these techniques will make PvP more diverse. Sure everyone like the ol' nitty gritty jitter clicking mayhem we have now. But frankly, time are going to change. Sure, leave massive. But eventually other servers will adopt the changes as well. It's just like how 1.7 servers ended up switching to 1.8. People were upset with that, but they dealt with it. Sure there might be hybrids out there, but that's a thing of the past. It'll be the same way for 1.9/1.8 relationships.

If you think that my opinions on the above make me anti-PvP, I'd disagree. Sure, I don't normally go around raiding and the like. But I still use the exact same technique as any other PvPer on here when I am those situations. What's the difference between me and you guys? You guys practice, I don't. So when 1.9 rolls out, who's going to be considered the best PvPers? Probably the ones who practice the new system and find ways to fix their flaws with it. I've played on 1.9 Kit PvP servers. No battles took 10 minutes. Maybe 30 seconds. The system isn't that broken. I could go on forever with that, but I'll leave that to another time.

All in all. I believe a lot of things popping up on every Minecraft server just deals with the uncertainty in what 1.9 will do. Sure, play the thing in single player or have a small server set up. You might hate it there. So you assume that on a big server it will be the same thing. But it also might be a very good thing for servers. All in all, the changes will happen eventually, so better assume the worst and either deal with it and adapt, or stick around in the past forever.

Well, that's all I have to add. Hopefully people try to see both sides instead of just their own world.

I think it's safe to assume that McMMO is going to have a huge redo with 1.9. For example, Swords wont be able to initiate the counterattack skill since you won't be able to block with a sword. Also, axe skills will probably be redone, because (speed aside) the current specs would make 1.9 axes op. One hit and you're probably down a lot of hearts.
Don't really see where you're going there, but sure.

Onto my opinion with the armor. So I believe we have a few problems with the amount of god armor in circulation? And I have seen threads about people saying /fix is overpowered.
What I'm getting at is this: The armor will lose protection points the lower the durability is, so a big goal in 1.9 is to keep durability up. Massive has /fix, which many players think is game breaking.
Lone and behold, Mojang introduces mending as an enchant. I think if we removed (or heavily nerfed) /fix and keep mending, this might help fix the economy somewhat.
My logic is this: The god armor will get really weak at low durability. By nerfing /fix, said armor will remain weak, and will probably end up in either a fire or salvaged for the books on an anvil. The only armor that will remain in circulation will be the ones with mending, which is assumption is correct, will be rare. This not only will eventually remove god armor from the economy due to the difficulty to repair it, but will increase the prices of the "better" mending enchanted god armor. So win-win from what I see.
That really just shifts to mending being overpowered. Still will eventually lead to the same problem, although it might temporarily delay it.

-Bombing runs (Elytra + lingering potions.
I don't think that's really very practical.. I mean, you can just move a couple blocks, unless you have them in a trap... In which case you don't need to use an elytra.

-Shield and weapon. Basically the new default.
That is at least plausible, although I don't think it would be much fun with the attack cooldown.

-Aerial dogfight. Eltyra with arrows. Can lead to some intense fights in the skys.
So... Hitting the a person using the fastest current transportation method... While also using that same speed... And arrows which are slower than the elytra... Good luck with that :P

-Winged combat. Kinda a repeat of dogfights, but extends to include every method above. You could theoretically use land techniques in the air, which is definitely hard to do.
Same as above.

-para-trooping. use the Elytra as a parachute and parachute into an enemy base.
Pretty much the only practical PvP use for them, and I don't really have a problem with this.

But eventually other servers will adopt the changes as well.
No they won't. The vast majority of PvP servers are still 1.7, just a couple well-known mini-game servers have made the switch over. The major PvP servers are still 1.7, and will remain so.

If you think that my opinions on the above make me anti-PvP, I'd disagree. Sure, I don't normally go around raiding and the like. But I still use the exact same technique as any other PvPer on here when I am those situations. What's the difference between me and you guys? You guys practice, I don't. So when 1.9 rolls out, who's going to be considered the best PvPers? Probably the ones who practice the new system and find ways to fix their flaws with it. I've played on 1.9 Kit PvP servers. No battles took 10 minutes. Maybe 30 seconds. The system isn't that broken. I could go on forever with that, but I'll leave that to another time.
I have literally never seen you PvP. Not once. I mean, your faction has 3 enemies, so I don't think you PvP at all. And I've played on 1.9 servers. It's pretty much who has the higher ping. There's just not much else to do... Strafing is relatively ineffective, as you have more than ample time to aim, accuracy is a joke, and so that leaves uh.. Pot management? In that case, it won't be much different because current PvPers still have better pot management, under your argument. If you're taking 30 seconds, I'm guessing you're either not using pots, or using leather armor or something. I mean,unless you're quickdropping everyone, but again, that's pretty difficult to do, due to the attack cooldown.

All in all. I believe a lot of things popping up on every Minecraft server just deals with the uncertainty in what 1.9 will do. Sure, play the thing in single player or have a small server set up. You might hate it there. So you assume that on a big server it will be the same thing. But it also might be a very good thing for servers. All in all, the changes will happen eventually, so better assume the worst and either deal with it and adapt, or stick around in the past forever.
Don't really understand where you're trying to go there, sorry.
Well, that's all I have to add. Hopefully people try to see both sides instead of just their own world.
You mean that... The PvPers should see the side of the people trying to change the server so that it is no longer enjoyable for them? Um, ok then.

I have literally never seen you PvP. Not once. I mean, your faction has 3 enemies, so I don't think you PvP at all. And I've played on 1.9 servers. It's pretty much who has the higher ping. There's just not much else to do... Strafing is relatively ineffective, as you have more than ample time to aim, accuracy is a joke, and so that leaves uh.. Pot management? In that case, it won't be much different because current PvPers still have better pot management, under your argument. If you're taking 30 seconds, I'm guessing you're either not using pots, or using leather armor or something. I mean,unless you're quickdropping everyone, but again, that's pretty difficult to do, due to the attack cooldown.
Fair enough. I don't PvP on massive. I don't play factions on here either. I'm just going off my experiences on other servers. If you feel like it doesn't apply here, fine by me.

As for ping, isn't that the same for any server, 1.9 or not? If your connection sucks it sucks no matter where you're at.
You mean that... The PvPers should see the side of the people trying to change the server so that it is no longer enjoyable for them? Um, ok then.
I'm just suggesting that both sides try to see the other's opinion instead of staying ignorant to one another. Your guys' way of playing is gonna change a lot with the update. So I sympathize with you guys. Heck, I left the last server I played on because they killed PvP there. So I definitely know how you guys feel about 1.9 in general with it's changes.
Yeah, I don't PvP on Massive. But like I said above, I know what preparations and thinking goes in during one. Just because I don't feel like PvPing here on Massive doesn't automatically mean I'm a complete idiot when it comes to PvP
I don't it it here because:
a) I did enough on other servers that I wanted a change of atmosphere
b) I neither have the resources no manpower to PvP here. I got here back in November, and spent the end of 2015 learning how this server runs. After that, I didn't feel like joining a huge faction, because I like being alone and in a smaller area. I don't have high mcmmo skills, and my current life prevents me from grinding.

All in all, I stopped PvPing because I have other things going on that prevent me from keeping in shape. I RP because that's what I have time for. But just because I don't PvP anymore doesn't make me any less knowledgeable on what people do to fight here. It's the same formula on every server, just slightly modified to fit the specific plugins.

I'm just voicing what my view on the topic is. No one has to like it. I'm just waiting it out and seeing what happens. I normally avoid these kind of threads, since they always end the same way. So this is my last comment on this one probably, because there's nothing more for me to say.

Currently the range stands at up to 8 blocks in any direction (though it's been changed between 8 and 32 several times), so basically unless you want to have 8 block walls everywhere.. And that also leaves spaces which you would have to have doors or whatnot to get through the walls.

If the wall is tall enough to keep an enderpearl out it should be at least 8 blocks wide already for not-crap appearance. As for doors and such, just use 1-way portals? It's not like they're difficult to set up or maintain...

Alternately, since they don't TP into water, you can just build an 8-block wide & deep moat around your faction to keep people from tping into it, with the wall to help.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying I pretty much agree with everything said by Jes, great post btw.

A few side notes however.

1. Testing things by implementation is not the way to properly test and it's Massives constant introduction of buggy ass plugins as of late that has led to my inactivity. I'm just so fed up with being a beta tester for all this crap that works terribly and in the gaming world it's a sure fire way to ensure your game is going to be an absolute failure. This is something Massive doesn't seem to understand there are so many other games out there and if one ceases to provide enjoyment people are just going to move on as I have done.

2. Chorus Fruits are OP. Sure you have no idea where it's going to drop you and sure it takes time to eat but don't forget you also have ender pearls which makes it so you have two means for escape. Toss a pearl to get you away from the person attacking and then eat the Chorus Fruit to disappear. In the time it takes to do that the cooldown for the ender pearl will likely be almost gone so you can very quickly toss another one and repeat the whole process until the enemy has no idea where you are.

3. And finally a comment on the pre 1.9 mechanics. Jitter Clicking accurately does not ensure you will beat someone who can't click fast. As someone who has never been able to consistently click faster than 6 clicks per second and I mean when I am clicking my fastest (arthritis) I can still lock people in combos who claim they can click 10 times or more per second. Jitter clicking makes less of a difference than most people would like you to believe strafing and accuracy are much more important.

What if there was like a squad or something like there are for BO2s or what not who can test the plugins. Would that work? Then you can have people testing it who are interested in testing and those who don't want to be beta testers won't have to

Also, to save resources when it comes to chorus fruit, you could just make your walls hollow, but fill it with downwards flowing water.

Also, to save resources when it comes to chorus fruit, you could just make your walls hollow, but fill it with downwards flowing water.
It still doesn't change the fact that you would have to have 8 block walls around literally everything...It's not really resources that are the problem, it's the fact that everyone would pretty much have to have giant walls. I mean, I'm all for the concept of unraidable bases, but this isn't really the way to do it.

A lot of god armor in circulation? AHEM NERF 3x DURABILITY AHM COUGH COUGH

Adding to the Chorus part, you could use the fruits to enter restricted areas in Regalia, like someone's house, the prison or the tavern's backroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.