Pending Review Faction Administration - Quality Of Life Improvements

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Alj23, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Pioneer

Here are some ideas that I think would assist Faction leaders/Officers greatly when it comes to administering their faction if they have a faction with a decent amount of members in it.

If these ideas have already been suggested in the past and rejected for specific reasons such as physical Minecraft limitations, my apologies.

Be able to send mail to all faction members/specific roles:
    Being able to get one uniform message out to all your faction members or a whole role is extremely helpful. I know we have the /f motd, but there are restrictions that make sending a message with multiple topics through the motd difficult (more on this later). Not sure if it would be ideal to try and work it into the already existing /mail command, or maybe create a /faction mail command and a permission "mail" to control which ranks could send mail.

Break to a new line in the /faction message of the day (MOTD)
    When it comes to this suggestion, I don't know if a physical Minecraft limitation would prevent this from working. Currently you cannot break to a new line when composing your MOTD. Attempts to use multiple spaces just result in all the extra spaces after the first two being ignored in the formatting once you set the MOTD. The closest I've been able to get to breaking to a new line is this:
    Capture.PNG
    You can see I've had to take up the extra space with "------>" to make the game both not ignore the space and to push the second part about voting to the next line. This "works" in the sense I have to use these extra character to make the line break possible, taking up additional room I could use for more messaging. Maybe we could have something like /f motd line1, /f motd line2 to set separate lines?

Create an ingame faction voting system (lightweight)
    For people that enjoy getting their faction's concrete input on a topic, and want to try and run their faction in a semi-serious realistic medieval sense, I feel the lack of some type of vote collection system has always been a key piece missing to create the full immersion. I've seen people use platforms outside of the game such as google polls or strawpolls to supplement this, but then you run into snags on the best way to disseminate the link to the voting, getting as many people to vote as they can, etc. I say lightweight in the title of this one because I imagine it wouldn't go beyond including:
    • two permissions: one called something like "vote creation" to control by rank who could create a vote, and something like "voting" to control which ranks would be allowed to vote. (Could add an interesting dynamic - recruits not allowed to vote? Allies can vote in another faction voting?)
    • command: /vote create [topic]. By default every vote has the options: for, against, abstain(?). These cannot be changed to keep the system simple. Don't really need more than those three. Maybe only the first two.
    • command : /vote [topic number] for/against/abstain. Each vote topic could be indexed, so someone wanting to vote on something could look like /vote 1 for.
    • command: /vote history. Would printout the results of the last 10(?) votes. History of votes kept would be dependent on storage requirements.
    Add the date a player joined the faction to /f status
    Would just be really nice to see the date a player joined the faction. Would help with figuring out seniority by time in the faction. Also nice to know exactly how long a player has been with the faction (Maybe when handing out punishments if they broke a faction's rules? Could also assist staff in certain cases of trying to figure out how long a player has been in the faction if they don't have access to hawkeye or the logs are too old to find that information.)

These are just some ideas I came up with that I would hope would be easy to implement in comparison to other faction related changes. We all know we've wanted a reworked /f access system, but that's a bit more involved than adding the date a player joined the faction I would think. The main goal of these ideas are to suggest additions that while small individually, could significantly help increase the quality of life when combined when it comes to faction administration.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Educated Educated x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

3. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

Speaking as a faction officer, this seems like a good suggestion. Your MOTD tends to be more permanent than mail and in my experience rarely changes, as you make it a general info message, perhaps about discord or other major updates. Being able to quickly send out faction messages would be enormously useful, the event of a raid comes to mind, among other uses.

I have no real objection to this, but I will say this has never really come up for me, personally. MOTD's rarely ever will be long enough to need a paragraph break and them being so usually means you're being too fanciful. However, it wouldn't break my gameplay very much(outside of possibly being impossible given MC limitations), so it's all good to me.

Honestly, this would just depend on the implementation. If it was well done it could be quite efficient, but it could also be very clunky. I will usually use a custom poll posted on Discord for votes or similar, but depending this could be an interesting replacement. Should be fun to see if implemented.

Absolutely onboard with this. Time can become sort of fluid and with a dozen recruits joining in a week, it becomes harder and harder to keep track of who joined when, adding this to f status would make parts of my job much easier, and I agree wholeheartedly. All in all, these all sound like great suggestions and I hope they can be and are implemented into the server.

4. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Pioneer

Completely forgot about this thread.

Madus's version of Factions already added breaking to a new line for MOTD and a lightweight faction voting system. So a version of factions with 2/4 of the things I proposed exist out there, it's just not on Massive.

5. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

Long live the Revolution!