Archived Useful Coal Block [suggestion]

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrior

A lost Architect of an ancient Helvetican Empire
Reaction score
After designing several different styled home in SinglePlayer it came across my mind that what if we were able to use coal blocks as a sort of chest to store coal/charcoal itself in. It would add a twist to interior architecture and give blacksmiths a little more use of the block instead of just looks. Much like a chest(except if possible, nothing moves only an inventory of the block pops up) you would have an inventory of things you can place into it, maybe the same amount of spaces as a hopper. It's not much but it makes buildings look better and instead of chest next to the furnace, you'd have a coal block(s) that can be useful.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Very intresting. I like it since I love to use Coal blocks as decor but if they had a function as well, that would be a huge bonus!

Blocks of coal can be used as fuel in a furnace. One block of coal smelts 80 items, which is more than the smelting time of the 9 coal items used to craft it.

Blocks of coal can be used as fuel in a furnace. One block of coal smelts 80 items, which is more than the smelting time of the 9 coal items used to craft it.

That may be true, however not everyone wishes to stay around the furnace to be able to put the other 14 items in, as well it's more for decor and use rather than fuel. Thanks for the tip though!

In a practical sense, this would be very useful. However, I can't get over the fact it's rather unrealistic. A coal block is already a storage block for coal; that's how it's useful. Sure, a chest full of coal is far more practical than a block of coal, however placing a couple of coal blocks around provides a nice aesthetic touch. However, I find it makes little sense and don't support such an idea.

In a practical sense, this would be very useful. However, I can't get over the fact it's rather unrealistic. A coal block is already a storage block for coal; that's how it's useful. Sure, a chest full of coal is far more practical than a block of coal, however placing a couple of coal blocks around provides a nice aesthetic touch. However, I find it makes little sense and don't support such an idea.

Yes, a chest would be more useful for storing coal, however would you have wooden objects near an intense amount of heat realistically?

It's creative, and I like it. Maybe only give it 9 slots for holding coal?

Yes, a chest would be more useful for storing coal, however would you have wooden objects near an intense amount of heat realistically?

I'm not really suggesting that. I'm saying that using a block of coal may be limiting but is more realistic. Then again, while my argument would appear to be based upon realism, it's not all that important. There are limits however, and I find the ability to place items inside a block of coal is a bit unreasonable. Perhaps a coal block could be restricted to storing coal.

I'm not really suggesting that. I'm saying that using a block of coal may be limiting but is more realistic. Then again, while my argument would appear to be based upon realism, it's not all that important. There are limits however, and I find the ability to place items inside a block of coal is a bit unreasonable. Perhaps a coal block could be restricted to storing coal.

That's what common sense would dictate, not sure how about the coding would go though..

I get your idea, but I really don't think it's very necessary. Sure, coal blocks are mostly used for asthetic purposes, but they're already a method of storing coal. Need to cook only a few items but you don't want to waste your coal supply? Break one block of coal apart, and put the nine lumps into your furnace. You'd even have some coal left over to use for later, so it isn't constantly depleting and requiring you to babysit the furnace.

Sorry, I just don't think this is necessary. If you want a chest of coal, simply fill a chest with coal. Or better yet, more coal blocks.

I get your idea, but I really don't think it's very necessary. Sure, coal blocks are mostly used for asthetic purposes, but they're already a method of storing coal. Need to cook only a few items but you don't want to waste your coal supply? Break one block of coal apart, and put the nine lumps into your furnace. You'd even have some coal left over to use for later, so it isn't constantly depleting and requiring you to babysit the furnace.

Sorry, I just don't think this is necessary. If you want a chest of coal, simply fill a chest with coal. Or better yet, more coal blocks.

It's not for storing purposes, just an add-on. The majority of you nay-sayers don't design and build structures so it's understandable. You would rather go for use rather than looks with some use.

It's not for storing purposes, just an add-on. The majority of you nay-sayers don't design and build structures so it's understandable. You would rather go for use rather than looks with some use.
Yeah, I really don't build much at all. My abilities in architecture are somewhat average, and that's just if I'm lucky. I still don't understand the point of this being implemented, but that's simply my inability to effectively see from a builder's perspective. I'm sure many will support this, though.

For those that don't understand what I am getting at.
2014-02-19_16.47.00.png

The recipe could be a coal block and a hopper or coal all around a hopper. Also it is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.