Archived Travel Based Markets

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Loss2RL

Beggar
Reaction score
Faction
Settoloss
The worlds of MassiveCraft are filled with beautiful builds from small farm villages to enormous cities and many dozens of factions housing hundreds of players. As the server occasionally states "travel is encouraged," yet when one wonders any of the many worlds they feel empty; Factions are closed off to outsiders and travelers are rare. With the use of the warp and home commands travel by foot after you have a faction and home bed is often forsaken for these faster means of travel. Those who do travel often only do so for resources that they cannot find at the market which is also accessed via warp command.

I propose the removal of the Warp Market and instead encouraging faction based markets that can be found in faction territory. This forces players to travel to other factions for rare resources or crafted items and encourages roleplaying. This also allows factions to show off their hard work and prestige to none faction members. Because of the faction permissions system there is no worry for looting and the no griefing server rule, as well as the no terrain editing permission, factions have no reason to worry about their builds. This also promotes cooperation between players and factions to build roads and rest villages (with basic supplies like food and beds) for travelers. I would also ask if it were possible to add some safety nets for none faction villages such as heaver penalties for not replanting and griefing, as well as a mechanism to protect placed beds. Something like if you weren't the one to place the bed you can't pick it up but you can still sleep in it, that way the maintainers of said villages don't have to constantly replace the beds.

As a pvp server it is not hard to imagine that with increased travel bandits would become more common along the roads. With the warp commands once the markets are reached it is not hard to safely return to your home with your newly purchased goods. However, on the way to and when visiting many markets in a single trip, players would be in more danger of losing supplies to bandits. This would promote the use of hired mercenaries to protect you on your travels which would also give more opportunities to role-play and make use of different trait builds and trained skills. To protect both the Mercenary and traveler there could be a contract for both to fill out on the site that assures the mercenary will not kill the traveler and that they will get paid for their service once the contract is complete. Failure on ether side would have a penalty such as a fine forcibly taken by staff and given to the wronged party or temporary ban time, repeat offenders can be perma-banned.

To ensure cash flow to Regalia after the loss of the market, faction markets would have a small licensing fee or tax that allows them to run a market on their grounds. If warp market were to be retained I would say have it server run only and provide only items that are finite or missing due to the worlds set up, namely items and mob drops from the nether as the server does not have a decent nether set up for the number of players it has.To avoid spamming of trade chat; why not restrict it to be as its named, trade or item for an item, regales cant be asked for or offered in it. Since regales are the major currency and every faction gets taxed in that format changing the trade chat to trade items only would not eliminate the need to have and sell in regales. Factions would benefit from the cash flow of running a market and all of MassiveCraft would benefit from increased role-play and sense of community.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
OMG i was just thinking on riding my donkey and being a traveling merchant thumbs upX10000
(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)(H)

I am a fan of this idea for RP purposes.
At the same time I already stress out when I'm in the wild fishing or something and really do not want to add more to the stress that is being a part of this server.

I am a fan of this idea for RP purposes.
At the same time I already stress out when I'm in the wild fishing or something and really do not want to add more to the stress that is being a part of this server.
what do u mean stress??? clarify

what do u mean stress??? clarify
I've been mugged in the wild before. I don't look forward to it being an everyday thing if this goes through.
I am already a paranoid about being in the wild and looking over my shoulder every few blocks.
This will add to the stress, even if I do like the idea of traveling merchants.

I've been mugged in the wild before. I don't look forward to it being an everyday thing if this goes through.
I am already a paranoid about being in the wild and looking over my shoulder every few blocks.
This will add to the stress, even if I do like the idea of traveling merchants.
"This would promote the use of hired mercenaries to protect you on your travels which would also give more opportunities to role-play and make use of different trait builds and trained skills."

This wouldn't increase role-play. Instead of people warping to the market to buy what they need, they'll be forced to run to a faction -- most likely on a dangerous path -- to a faction that could declare war on you at any second while you're shopping.

And hiring mercenaries? If you're hiring people, you'll most likely hire PvPers. While some PvPers enjoy to RP, chances are you'll find someone who only enjoys PvP. And if they only enjoy PvP, what would stop them from killing you as soon as you buy your items?

Not to mention, factions can already set up markets. Instead of taking something away, wouldn't it be easier to create a collection of factions with markets? People who want to travel to markets can, while people that like the convenience of quickly getting the items they need can use the warp.

I ain't walkin' all dem blocks just ta buy meself an apple.

If you remove warp market the entire bloody economy goes to hell in a handasket

I like it. Y'know, I might head to some of my allied factions on a donkey or mule (Whichever one can have a chest) , seeing as the are faster than players, and sell weapons, armor, and any other stuff I have. This also gives me a chance to use my merchant skin.

It's not necessary to remove the /warp market in order to have a healthy faction-run market in place. Try /f home gilead (open to everyone except those in enemy factions) to visit my own faction's market. The idea has worked well, with plenty of buy/sell chests arranged in a nice mix of shopchest and ic shops. I know there are other factions out there that use a similar model, often including publicly available /f home access.

Levers

This is a very interesting concept which my co-crafters and I have talked about on several occasions. Massivecraft does encourage the use of "traveling" however their definition isn't narrowed down to one path. The removal of /warp market and such would remove slight fps drops while in Regalia it also removes the protection one gets while searching for their specified item. This subject would benefit marketing factions and a majority of smaller factions with the introduction to allying one another or having peacetalks for important trades.

Hiring Mercenaries to guard against bandits/pirates which would open up new doors for friendship(s)/allies and keep one busy while roaming the vast worlds.

Finally, a taxation would have to be inplace as the market, aside from buying houses is Regalia's biggest revenue. Maybe as well, for staff to code in, for traveling through boats (only natural form of transportation) having a fee that's automatically taken out of your balance upon entering the portal inside the ship.
Just my 2 and a half cents.

No item in massivecraft is rare, save for voting items. Removing the common market will only result in players becoming "lazy" or simply spamming trade chat to sell items, or not participating in the economy at all.

Base line is, if we don't make it easy for players to participate in the economy, they won't. Before there was warp market, there was Spawn shops. Before there was spawn shop, there was no trade.

This wouldn't increase role-play. Instead of people warping to the market to buy what they need, they'll be forced to run to a faction -- most likely on a dangerous path -- to a faction that could declare war on you at any second while you're shopping.

And hiring mercenaries? If you're hiring people, you'll most likely hire PvPers. While some PvPers enjoy to RP, chances are you'll find someone who only enjoys PvP. And if they only enjoy PvP, what would stop them from killing you as soon as you buy your items?

Not to mention, factions can already set up markets. Instead of taking something away, wouldn't it be easier to create a collection of factions with markets? People who want to travel to markets can, while people that like the convenience of quickly getting the items they need can use the warp.

First: A War Declaration must be submitted and approved by staff before fighting can begin, so if your faction is at war with another you will know when the war is declared and can thus avoid that factions market.

Second: True mercenaries are likely to be pvp players and that is fine as it is listed as a pvp server. As for killing their employers that is a good point; perhaps having a contract for mercenaries and employers on the site that assures the mercenary will not kill the traveler and that they will get paid for their service once the contract is complete. Failure on ether side would have a penalty such as a fine forcibly taken by staff and given to the wronged party or temporary ban time, repeat offenders can be perma-banned.

Third: Yes factions can and do have markets, but they are underutilized due to lack of foot traffic. Most players (myself included) will use a warp instead of walking to a faction to pick up resources because it is easier, but as a role playing medieval-esk server massive craft is lacking in an medieval economy based on traveling to markets by foot, animal, or wagon to buy or trade for supplies you yourself can not produce. If warp market were to be retained I would say have it server run only and provide only items that are finite or missing due to the worlds set up, namely items and mob drops from the nether as the server does not have a decent nether set up for the number of players it has.

No item in massivecraft is rare, save for voting items. Removing the common market will only result in players becoming "lazy" or simply spamming trade chat to sell items, or not participating in the economy at all.

Base line is, if we don't make it easy for players to participate in the economy, they won't. Before there was warp market, there was Spawn shops. Before there was spawn shop, there was no trade.

It is true that no item is rare but some are difficult or timely to acquire yourself and many players would rather pay another who already has, or can easily acquire, said items. As for spamming trade chat; why not restrict it to be as its named, trade or item for an item, regales cant be asked for or offered in it. Since regales are the major currency and every faction gets taxed in that format changing the trade chat to trade items only would not eliminate the need to have and sell in regales.

First: A War Declaration must be submitted and approved by staff before fighting can begin, so if your faction is at war with another you will know when the war is declared and can thus avoid that factions market.
not entirely sure what you are trying to say (may be just me who's a derp so feel free to correct me if i musunderstand you)
what i get from that is that you think people cannot declare war on you before tehy made a war decleration and got it aproved? (if yes, continiou reading, of not, ignore this post)
Wrong, people can alway's declare war on you and raid you while tehy don't have an aproved war declaration.
they can only raid for 2 full hours a week until it's aproved tough

not entirely sure what you are trying to say (may be just me who's a derp so feel free to correct me if i musunderstand you)
what i get from that is that you think people cannot declare war on you before tehy made a war decleration and got it aproved? (if yes, continiou reading, of not, ignore this post)
Wrong, people can alway's declare war on you and raid you while tehy don't have an aproved war declaration.
they can only raid for 2 full hours a week until it's aproved tough

According to the site (found here: http://www.massivecraft.com/raid-war-rules) under War rules and What classifies as faction War, it states that a war deceleration is required for any killing of a faction that is more than 2 hours once a week (which is called a raid). Because Akmer specifically said war, the rules I quoted were appropriate. In the instance of raids it is unlikely that a faction would commit a raid on a visiting faction that is already there to give them money (in exchange for items) also a faction known for raiding random market visitors would not be very popular and would suffer from their self inflicted bad rap.

According to the site (found here: http://www.massivecraft.com/raid-war-rules) under War rules and What classifies as faction War, it states that a war deceleration is required for any killing of a faction that is more than 2 hours once a week (which is called a raid). Because Akmer specifically said war, the rules I quoted were appropriate. In the instance of raids it is unlikely that a faction would commit a raid on a visiting faction that is already there to give them money (in exchange for items) also a faction known for raiding random market visitors would not be very popular and would suffer from their self inflicted bad rap.
okay, thanks for clerifiying (i'm a derp)
i'm still agains the idea for reasons already stated.

I just want to say if you want to get the RP experience of taveling through the wild, being attacked by ravenous animals, and possibly ambushed by PvPers then by all means go ahead. However for most people I think faction based markets and the ./warp market work perfectly fine as far as trading goes.

This is a very interesting concept which my co-crafters and I have talked about on several occasions. Massivecraft does encourage the use of "traveling" however their definition isn't narrowed down to one path. The removal of /warp market and such would remove slight fps drops while in Regalia it also removes the protection one gets while searching for their specified item. This subject would benefit marketing factions and a majority of smaller factions with the introduction to allying one another or having peacetalks for important trades.

Hiring Mercenaries to guard against bandits/pirates which would open up new doors for friendship(s)/allies and keep one busy while roaming the vast worlds.

Finally, a taxation would have to be inplace as the market, aside from buying houses is Regalia's biggest revenue. Maybe as well, for staff to code in, for traveling through boats (only natural form of transportation) having a fee that's automatically taken out of your balance upon entering the portal inside the ship.
Just my 2 and a half cents.

The market is no longer in Regalia, and causes much less lag that it used to

This would promote healthy faction relationships, however, there are too many pure pvp people on this server to care about the RP purpose in this. they will simply become bandits that have no respect for the travelers. also if you leave your faction open for people to come in and trade, you are also leaving it open to the bandits and potentially faction enemies, making an easy raid. i don't know what side sounds better, i would enjoy both having it, but at the same time not having it.

Edit:
and it leaves your faction open to raid opprotunities. (that dont need faction war decleration, stated in the raiding and war rules link stated above, all that is needed for a raid is to raid. maximum of 2 hours, for the maximum of 1 day a week [all 7 or em])

Perhaps you could set up a portal system for factions that want to join the trade group? You could build boats with portals in them that would allow you to "sail" to an allied faction and trade. This would be both safer and more convenient than walking to a faction with an open gate.