Archived The Resource Pack: Netherbrick, And Why It Should Be Changed Back.

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

twinCatalysts

Former Leader of Tyberia
Reaction score
Faction
Tyberia
Kingdom
Tyberian Empire
This will be a somewhat short one.
For those who do not know, Massivecraft recently updated to 1.9, and with it they updated the resource pack. Among the changes to the resource pack was the changing of Netherbrick blocks, stairs and slabs to an entirely new design. Not only design, but colour scheme. They changed it from a dark red colour, to a very light brown colour.
This was a horrible move on the part of whoever designed it, because it was essentially like walking up to anyone who had ever used netherbrick in a build, and punching them in the face, really really hard.
You see, before the 1.9 changes, Netherbrick was red. And so, if you wanted to build with netherbrick, you used something that would match that colour so it didn't look awful. This is also the case for default, mind you.
But now with the new resource pack, things that looked like this:
woJDBCH.png

hqOWxBL.png

Now look like this:
C1KBGyX.png
9oj0Ejw.png

Essentially, here are the pros and cons of this change.
+ You get a new Light Brown block to work with
- Most of your previous builds with the long-established block no longer work
- It no longer matches the place it comes from (The nether)
- You lose a much rarer Red block to work with
- Things with it that look good in default will most likely not look good with Massive Texturepack and vice versa

Maybe the staff changed it for something in Regalia, it looks like the block would maybe now fit in there. But the problem is that is that it's a rather strong disregard for anyone who had used the block before.

I propose that the block is either: Turned back to the one from V9, or the texture from V14 is changed in colour to resemble V9 so that it fits in with builds better.

I'd love any feedback in the comments, and thank you for reading.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Re-edit it back to the v12 version of the pack. Easy fix.

I'd just like to note that 95% of all things built that look 'good' in one resource pack look like crap if you change to another, regardless of what the individual packs look like.

I'd just like to note that 95% of all things built that look 'good' in one resource pack look like crap if you change to another, regardless of what the individual packs look like.
Of course, but they at the very least look somewhat similar most of the time.
If you looked at the new netherbrick, you would never be able to guess it was netherbrick.
It looks more like raw Andesite than something you'd find in the nether.

Not to mention, it's the server official pack. It's whats expected to be used, and should look similar to itself.

Re-edit it back to the v12 version of the pack. Easy fix.
Not sure if you're telling me to edit it, or staff, but if it's the former that doesn't fix the problem that anyone who gets the new pack will see it that way, and that's a lot of people.

Not sure if you're telling me to edit it, or staff, but if it's the former that doesn't fix the problem that anyone who gets the new pack will see it that way, and that's a lot of people.
Edit the pack back to the 1.8 nether brick and release it to the people on the forums.

Yeah, I have no building problems, but I like the first one better.

The texture pack is essentially made to showcase Regalia, Regalia being the first advertisement sign of the city, regardless of game play style. The texture pack is mostly made with the wishes of the world staff in mind since it is our "view" of how Minecraft should be seen. Fast forward to Nether brick, it is one of the most unused textures in Regalia purely because the texture works so badly with literally everything else in terms of contrast and texture "grain". In terms of "redness", I'm practically opposed to dumping up the texture color to resemble brick and then dumping down the lightness value to turn it back into Netherbrick, in terms of server builds that will revert the block back to a "dead" block for us. That being said, there is some value in the argument that a dark brick should not turn into a light brick.

For that purpose, I will consider swapping the Purpur and Netherbrick textures in our current pack, so that the new dark and Black "Edgestone" as we've started calling it, will be the new Nether brick texture. It's not a solution that satisfies everyone, but at least it can bridge a middle way in terms of reaching a solution that satisfies most parties.

2efef70fe1d513b0e818ceffeb630e39.png

What pack did they rip the new texture from?

It's a highly modified "birch" biome brick texture from the Conquest pack with re scaled contrast and color hue to fit our needs. With all credits given and permission acquired of course.

It's a highly modified "birch" biome brick texture from the Conquest pack with re scaled contrast and color hue to fit our needs. With all credits given and permission acquired of course.

In my (almost) an entire year of using the Massivecraft pack with all the ripped textures from other texture packs, I never knew about John Smith and Conquest until very recently. I never saw any credit given?

I had figured this might have been the case, still, I believe it would have been better for it to simply been worked around, rather than taking a unique block that, while maybe not used in Regalia, was used in factions, and turning it inside out without regard for the people in the latter in order to suit the former.
And it doesn't clash with everything, as you can see in the first two pictures. It works extremely with Spruce, for example.
It's better, in my opinion, for staff to find a way to make Netherbrick, in its original colours, work, as that can be very rewarding (the builds above, while perhaps not the most expert, are very nice nonetheless) rather than changing it to something more generic, less rewarding, and harmful to pre-existing builds.

In my (almost) an entire year of using the Massivecraft pack with all the ripped textures from other texture packs, I never knew about John Smith and Conquest until very recently. I never saw any credit given?
Actually, I do recall seeing credit somewhere regarding this, a while back. I'll try and find it.

Credit is always included in the texture pack :) This is deemed more practical than putting it on the website because most people get the texturepack from /rpack and sharing among players.

From the readme text in the pack:

"This pack is based off the works of and with permission from

JohnSmith - http://www.minecraftforum.net/user/15369-johnsmith/
Monsterfisher - http://www.minecraftforum.net/user/611461-monsterfisher/
LithiumSound - http://www.minecraftforum.net/user/495979-lithiumsound/
Wayuki - http://www.minecraftforum.net/user/41112-wayuki/
WessexStock - http://www.minecraftforum.net/user/91306-wessexstock/

Infinite gratitude to all you wonderful artists and supporting players!
We hope you'll be inspired by the work done here!"

Just gotta open the folder and locate the readme

I think the above credit isn't even up to date anymore, we only take resources from JohnSmith and Monsterfisher (the latter of whom is really nice btw, I talked to him on Massive TS once when he asked for a tour of Regalia). Still. It's nice to get the word out for other texture pack makers for the assistance they have provided in the past.

I had figured this might have been the case, still, I believe it would have been better for it to simply been worked around, rather than taking a unique block that, while maybe not used in Regalia, was used in factions, and turning it inside out without regard for the people in the latter in order to suit the former.
And it doesn't clash with everything, as you can see in the first two pictures. It works extremely with Spruce, for example.
It's better, in my opinion, for staff to find a way to make Netherbrick, in its original colours, work, as that can be very rewarding (the builds above, while perhaps not the most expert, are very nice nonetheless) rather than changing it to something more generic, less rewarding, and harmful to pre-existing builds.
Like I said. I'm going to look at the possibilities. The edgebrick swap is the "least" I can do. I cannot define a most because I don't want to make false predictions. The texture pack will be re-envisioned during the 1.9 Optifine release because we need to re-investigate the texture pack at that point anyway because of connected textures. This may even be within 2 weeks or so.

There's a really simple solution behind this. Simply just revert to the old texture pack. You'll see it how you want to see it and others will see it how they want to see it. There's no need to change it back tbh.

There's a really simple solution behind this. Simply just revert to the old texture pack. You'll see it how you want to see it and others will see it how they want to see it. There's no need to change it back tbh.
That makes the false assumption that everyone wants the new netherbrick texture. And, since it is expected for everyone to use the newest version of the official pack, the majority of people will not see it in a way that will make it look good. There will be a dichotomy between the people who use the Massive Texture (Light brown) and pretty much every other texture pack, including Default (Which is red)
While it may be fine for the vault in the first picture to remain netherbricked, as the owner is the only person to likely see it, the town in the second picture will be inhabited by many people, and unless they're all willing to use a no-longer widely available version of the texturepack, they will not see it in the way it was meant to be seen.

That makes the false assumption that everyone wants the new netherbrick texture.
Please, how was that an assumption that everyone wants it that way? And either way, I see no problem with the contrast and colouring on your town's roofs, it looks perfectly fine to me, in fact better. The old texture was pretty hideous and pretty much useless.

Please, how was that an assumption that everyone wants it that way? And either way, I see no problem with the contrast and colouring on your town's roofs, it looks perfectly fine to me, in fact better. The old texture was pretty hideous and pretty much useless.
Because you were making a false association with people using the server official pack and wanting every texture within the server official pack.
And I disagree, the new texture looks like coarse dirt. While the old texture may not have been the best, at least you could look at it and say "That's netherbrick" instead of "Why are the roofs made of dirt?"
And it really doesn't look good, light brown does not contrast with dark red. Dark brown does, but not light brown.

Because you were making a false association with people using the server official pack and wanting every texture within the server official pack.
And I disagree, the new texture looks like coarse dirt. While the old texture may not have been the best, at least you could look at it and say "That's netherbrick" instead of "Why are the roofs made of dirt?"
And it really doesn't look good, light brown does not contrast with dark red. Dark brown does, but not light brown.

I'd rather not get into an argument here. Just wait to see what happens next, I'm sure that Marty will have a solution for this dilemma which seems to be affecting so many people. And I was not clumping the whole population together by saying that they all want it that way, not at all. I don't understand how I was implying that in the slightest.

Have a Massive day ; )

Last edited: