Pending Review 1.13/1.14 Resource Pack Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Server' started by Conflee, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Hello! Whenever we update to 1.13 / 1.14 the Resource Pack will have to update, and along with that, comes room for new ideas both with those new blocks and with older blocks that can be added. Since I love resource pack stuff, I figured I would suggest a few things for the future.

Double-Slab Variations: With CTM, you can specify with what blocks get applied a texture based on height, biome, and state. So you can apply connected textures to stairs and slabs as well as full blocks. With this also comes the ability to single out blocks that are Double Slab Blocks, meaning two slabs used to make a full block. Monsterfish has actually done this with a lot of textures in the newer Conquest packs, and I think using the same method would be very useful for World Staff. As an example, because it came up in Marty's build stream yesterday- Mossy Brick Blocks. You could make double-brick-slab blocks use a selection of worn and mossy brick textures (with method=random to have random application of the textures) to make this a reality. And to anyone without the resource pack, it just looks like brick, so there is no weird "Why is the sewers a mix of brick and pink concrete powder" issue. This could also be used to create a "Paving Stones" texture with double-cobble-slabs with a varied top texture for use in streets.

Biome Specific Textures: I used this for the Slums in MassiveBound V3, so people are probably more familiar with this, but essentially by making block textures biome-specific (in 1.13+ you need to specify with 'minecraft:(biomename)' instead of just (biomename) ) you can diversify districts much more. As an example, the Slummier courts in Old Town can be Swamplands again, with random moss and mold patches on planks, etc. Or the Allar District (Which is Hell biome) could have unique Iron Door textures for the fire pots that dot the district to make them look fancier and engraved perhaps. Etc. OH EDIT: Also that old nether brick texture that I said looked great for rope? The gray-brown one, when used as a fence? You can bring that back as biome specific for use as rope in the world in like jungle biomes so you just the blocks you want to be rope as jungle biome. Would be cool. Rope is useful to detail.

Height-Specific Textures: In the same line as the above two. Making it so the bedrock texture uses the current one for the heights between bedrock level (y=5) and Nether Ceiling level (y=123 ish) and having the default bedrock be an actual bedrock texture, so in survival it looks less derpy, would be good. I already did that in Massivebound for my own sake. That can also be used to make Sewer-specific random textures, like more muddy looking soul sand, turning gravel into chunks of stone and rubble textures, adding scuffed and moldy wood textures, etc. Rusty iron blocks would be cool too.

1.13 Blocks: A few rapid fire 1.13 block ideas. Add random textures to jack-o-lanterns/carved pumpkins so each one has a different face. Make one of the new wooden buttons a Door Knocker (with a custom model) for estates and other such builds. Kelp blocks are rotatable like logs, they could be used to make 'fresh hay bales' with a greener tint maybe, otherwise they are useless for building. We get an extra Shulker texture because the 'Undyed Shulker Box' is a thing. Stripped Logs can have darkened edges for a log-cabin look when side-by-side instead of "wall of flat bark texture". Turtle eggs can be biome specific to add Allar Eggs in Hell biome and mounds of stone in other biomes for detailing (and just look normal on beaches).

1.14 Blocks: Same deal. Barrels with darkened edges (so when side-by-side they dont look like a wall of flat barrel texture). Blast Furnace and Smoker, and most of these new mechanical blocks, are all basically as they should be. Making the side of the loom look even more like empty shelves (like many people are using them for in vanilla) would be great. Scaffolding can be made to look more like a proper table, since thats what everyone and their mother will use them as. Getting a custom model for the Lantern to make it look even sexier would also be great- I imagine this will become the new go-to for lighting builds, because just look at it. Its a REAL lantern!

Trap Doors: Turning the Birch Trapdoor into more of a light railing looking texture, to use as railing in builds. Would be good if the Spruce and Jungle trapdoors matched their door versions as close as possible so they can be used to make larger "open doors" that are actually door-thickness, as well as for 1/3 tall barricades around rubbish piles and crate stacks like how Jungle Doors are currently used frequently. The dark oak trapdoor can be made with a 3d model to have a 3d handle on it for more intricate detailing as well. And, I would add biome-specific iron trap doors for like "extreme_hills" with a manhole texture to use in the streets and Sewers. Aesthetic.

Random Stuff: There are a lot of textures missing even in the newest version of the Massive Rpack. Iron Nuggets being the most obvious. Ripping these textures from somewhere else just to fill them and make sure they aren't vanilla and don't stand out so horridly would be awesome. Digging into water color stuff to specify a single biome (Preferably like 'Skylands' / end) for the Tar texture would also be good too so its less common to stumble upon.

That's my rambling out of the way. Ill probably think of more tiny things over time but yee.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

2018-12-20_18.04.36.png
    As an addon because I found this: Cauldrons and Beds were given 3d legs in 1.12 but we never updated the Cauldron texture so its rendering with gray space and looks a little derp. Id recommend either just texturing it in or making a model with smaller legs and tweaking the texture slightly to fit.