Archived Something Like Balkons Weapon Mod

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScorchedPhoenix

Refugee
Reaction score
I know the server doesn't feature many mods per say, but this is simply an idea. I propose something maybe LIKE the Balkons Weapons Mod, but with a more massivecraft style to it. I know Balkons weapon mod itself is outdated by a longshot, but core ideas and the like are still in place. Having the stuff from Balkons weapon mod will not only make role play better, it will also make the voting rewards look a little better. I know this is a big one to ask but maybe just something to put on the "to-do" list for the future. Here are my pro and con arguments

PROS
1. Better visuals in role play. Example: In role play, if someone had a war hammer, they might just pull out a sword and we would have to use our imagination. but having the visuals would give better view and more detail to what the person is talking about, as well as clarification for newbies.

2. Adding to the Medievalness (is it even a word? well it is now.) In Medieval times people did walk around with swords axes and bows, but other weapons were made. Like war hammers, crossbows, daggers, etc.

3. Adding a more variety when it came to warfare. If factions keep using the same weapons, it might get boring. but it would be interesting to see how well the lightning-fast dagger strikers hold out against the might war-axe wielders. it would give more of a feel and more personalization to factions and players alike.

CONS

1. Cannons. I know we already have cannons and they are damn good in fact, and I think the cannons from here do more damage.

2. Some weapons are OP. But this can be fixed internally.

3. Not sure how this would work with Bukkit. I am not an expert when it comes to this kind of stuff. This whole idea for all I know could be a waste of time typing, but its still worth a shot.

These are my ideas, staff.

What are your thoughts? Can this be done? Will we be able to walk around with daggers and crossbows in the future?

-Phoenix

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I know the server doesn't feature many mods per say, but this is simply an idea. I propose something maybe LIKE the Balkons Weapons Mod, but with a more massivecraft style to it. I know Balkons weapon mod itself is outdated by a longshot, but core ideas and the like are still in place. Having the stuff from Balkons weapon mod will not only make role play better, it will also make the voting rewards look a little better. I know this is a big one to ask but maybe just something to put on the "to-do" list for the future. Here are my pro and con arguments

PROS
1. Better visuals in role play. Example: In role play, if someone had a war hammer, they might just pull out a sword and we would have to use our imagination. but having the visuals would give better view and more detail to what the person is talking about, as well as clarification for newbies.

2. Adding to the Medievalness (is it even a word? well it is now.) In Medieval times people did walk around with swords axes and bows, but other weapons were made. Like war hammers, crossbows, daggers, etc.

3. Adding a more variety when it came to warfare. If factions keep using the same weapons, it might get boring. but it would be interesting to see how well the lightning-fast dagger strikers hold out against the might war-axe wielders. it would give more of a feel and more personalization to factions and players alike.

CONS

1. Cannons. I know we already have cannons and they are damn good in fact, and I think the cannons from here do more damage.

2. Some weapons are OP. But this can be fixed internally.

3. Not sure how this would work with Bukkit. I am not an expert when it comes to this kind of stuff. This whole idea for all I know could be a waste of time typing, but its still worth a shot.

These are my ideas, staff.

What are your thoughts? Can this be done? Will we be able to walk around with daggers and crossbows in the future?

-Phoenix
Well the thing is, a mod requires everyone on a server to download it before they can play on the server. This would severely limit the playerbase of Massivecraft as most people are too lazy to download a mod for a single server.A plugin, however, doesn't require anything clientside, so they are much more popular with servers.

Do they have plugins that may add this stuff to the game? Or is it impossible.

Balkon's weapon mod as favored said is a client side mod, meaning people who have to download it to join the server, and many people would not want to do that.

๖ۣۜIf what I hear from Mojang rumors is right, by around 1.9, it will be possible. Ehm, but that's a long while away... So I believe it is safe to assume, no, it is not possible.

Anything that adds a new item to the game is a mod. At least, that's the general thing I use to distinguish mods from plugins. Plugins can mess with properties of items, but they can't create new ones.

Plugins cannot per say "add" something in the game really. They (in a dumbed down version) can only take items or blocks and give them different properties. The closest we could get would be coding a certain item to have the property of a crossbow, and shoot a damaging snowball or something of the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.