Archived Some Survival Things - Solutions To " Theres Nothing To Do"

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conflee

Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!
Reaction score
Website
conflee.tumblr.com
Hello! This is mostly spawned from the somewhat heated conversation that rose in this thread, and I felt like moving some ideas to a less cluttered area would be helpful! I will note, I am a Roleplayer primarily, though I have some experience in the past on other large factions servers, so I have a bit of a view on both sides.

I have a couple ideas that might help with the situation of "PVPers having nothing to do"

Custom Crafting:

Massive has had Custom Crafting for a fair amount of time, allowing players to make nametags, horse armor, saddles and the like. What I am suggesting is a more, involved system for this.

Adding custom gear and items with recipes that utilize both Vanilla and Custom Mob Drops could be an interesting way to add another layer onto the- what many survival players seem to consider- quickly blanding experience.

Emerald, Obsidian, and Steel armor and tools could be added, and Craftable Lore Items as well- with &C colored names. This would give incentive for players- Survival and Roleplay alike- to go hunt Mobs, and add another layer of depth onto the Survival half of the server.

PVP and PVE Events:

These two are similar enough that I am combining them. PVP and PVE Events would be hosted in fairly empty areas of the maps- which do exist surprisingly- and can be rolled back upon completion to prevent land from being permanently made unusable by these events. Beyond that, they can vary greatly. From Arenas for grand PVP tournaments or Player vs Boss Mobs Events, to mini Dungeons with Custom Bosses at the end for players to try to take down, with rewards of Regals and Items.

At the moment, the majority of Events are made for Roleplay- I think this is probably mainly because of the relative easy compared to events for PVP/Survival in terms of planning and execution. But, given a little time Im sure a simple method for setting these up would be found, as one seems to have been for Roleplay.

Encouraging Player Events:

One of the biggest boons to Roleplay is its Player-Driven nature. While there are overarching plots and major events planned out by staff, the VAST majority of day-to-day Roleplay relies on players doing their own thing. And in the past, this was how Factions worked as well. Groups would battle constantly, or hire out mercenary factions, some groups were dedicated to building- be they cities and towns, or roads between factions. However interest died down as more support went towards building up the RP side of the server.

Adding a Subforum to request Game Staff supervision of Player-Planned and Built Arena and Tournament Events would be a huge step in the right direction I feel.

Scoreboard:

PVP is, inherently, a competitive activity. That is why the majority of successful PVP and Factions servers run some kind of scoring system, "Most Kills" "Kill-Death-Ratio" "Most Consecutive Kills" ETC. I feel adding something like this, a scoreboard ranking to top say, 20 players in a few categories could help boost this competitive feeling, and in turn will drive more players to be active as they strive to climb the leaderboards, and will draw in more players as well. Perhaps having monthly rewards of Regals or Custom Items could be another incentive as well.

These are the more obvious- to me at least- methods of fixing the issue. If anyone else has any more ideas I would love to hear them- But keep the salt OUT. No talk about how PVP or Factions or Roleplay is the focus of the server, or how any of them are better than the others. Keep it relevant to SOLUTIONS, not finger pointing and bickering.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As a hardcore role player (and an ex-factions champ.. I don't talk about that weirdness) I hate to say.. that that is actually a good solution, I applaud you.
Good on you, mate!

I love all of this here. Especially the player events, since the biggest issue with Roleplay vs Survival/PvP player run events, is the inherent "Some enemy can just come and screw everything up"

I love all of this here. Especially the player events, since the biggest issue with Roleplay vs Survival/PvP player run events, is the inherent "Some enemy can just come and screw everything up"
yupers lol With Game* Staff there telling the randoms to not cause Anarchy, it would make hosting these events much easier.

Maybe there can be a monthly contest between factions, and the top faction gets cool stuff (a special color in both the faction and it's members names, advertisement on the forums, regals, other stuff) as motivation.

Maybe there can be a monthly contest between factions, and the top faction gets cool stuff (a special color in both the faction and it's members names, advertisement on the forums, regals, other stuff) as motivation.
aka silverwind

I arrived a tad late for the "PVP era" of massive, so I wouldn't know. But just because it fell through once don't mean it can't work on the second try.
silverwind was the staff project to bridge the gap between factions and rp

it got kicked off the list tho

@Knifeharm deserves to see that people do care about the PvP side of things, and want to help.

Slight problem. Isn't that the one color that is reserved for Legendary, aka, never use ever?
Why not &9 items? If I could get lore compliant materials I'd love to do that.
I entirely forgot about legendary. >.< But yea, whatever color isnt being used atm works.

PVP and PVE Events:

These two are similar enough that I am combining them. PVP and PVE Events would be hosted in fairly empty areas of the maps- which do exist surprisingly- and can be rolled back upon completion to prevent land from being permanently made unusable by these events. Beyond that, they can vary greatly. From Arenas for grand PVP tournaments or Player vs Boss Mobs Events, to mini Dungeons with Custom Bosses at the end for players to try to take down, with rewards of Regals and Items.

At the moment, the majority of Events are made for Roleplay- I think this is probably mainly because of the relative easy compared to events for PVP/Survival in terms of planning and execution. But, given a little time Im sure a simple method for setting these up would be found, as one seems to have been for Roleplay.

These are very nice and should occur at a consistent rate instead of just a seasonal thing. I mean I was very hyped when they said there would be a pve dungeon for the harvest/poor district festival but sadly this was never finished.

https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/massivecraft-halloween-festival-announcement.47460/- old post

Last edited:
I know what we should do to make survival more interesting for us survivalists.We need to have more challenges?I don know but ever since the hundred regals every day and the free god armor my survival experience has become much just sitting around my base.

I know what we should do to make survival more interesting for us survivalists.We need to have more challenges?I don know but ever since the hundred regals every day and the free god armor my survival experience has become much just sitting around my base.
What

The free stuff really ruined the challenge and the fact that you kept armor.Back in the day if some raider killed me I'd have to rebuild my arsenal but now it's as easy as buying a new god sword for hecka cheap.
The fact that literally a hundred or so sets of god armor are made every time someone wants to blow $20 is a bit meh. Ruined the economy a fair bit. That added to armor having like 5k uses and yea.... Everyone has an OP god set within days of joining.

Harder bosses that break armor faster would be a decent way to counter this though I think.

Personally. I am happy with this. Ease of access grants faster chances for people to get into PvP. If only alchemy wasn't so demanding.
I have 70 or 80 sets of God armor by last count. I use one of those, the rest sit in my storage doing nothing. You can't sell it for a decent price, you can't use it. I'm not really happy with that.

Since you can craft pots alchemy isn't a very big deal, it's just a matter of getting absorption pots, which are pretty cheap.

Custom Crafting:

Massive has had Custom Crafting for a fair amount of time, allowing players to make nametags, horse armor, saddles and the like. What I am suggesting is a more, involved system for this.

Adding custom gear and items with recipes that utilize both Vanilla and Custom Mob Drops could be an interesting way to add another layer onto the- what many survival players seem to consider- quickly blanding experience.

Emerald, Obsidian, and Steel armor and tools could be added, and Craftable Lore Items as well- with &C colored names. This would give incentive for players- Survival and Roleplay alike- to go hunt Mobs, and add another layer of depth onto the Survival half of the server.

Something like this may be too in-depth to code, but we may have something planned in the future which could be exciting and have an impact on both roleplay/survival aspects - no guarantees or information available at this time.

PVP and PVE Events:

Game Staff have hosted PvE events in the Event world and have special event mobs set up for this. Some PvE events haven't been done in a while based on some mobs needing to be reconfigured. We could look at hosting more PvP tournaments as well, but experience pertaining to PvP tournaments is initial excitement, people dropping out, and then flame/rage at the end (rather consistently) which makes PvP tournaments unenjoyable to host for staff.

At least now we have active KOTH events which players seem to be enjoying for PvP.

Encouraging Player Events:

One of the biggest boons to Roleplay is its Player-Driven nature. While there are overarching plots and major events planned out by staff, the VAST majority of day-to-day Roleplay relies on players doing their own thing. And in the past, this was how Factions worked as well. Groups would battle constantly, or hire out mercenary factions, some groups were dedicated to building- be they cities and towns, or roads between factions. However interest died down as more support went towards building up the RP side of the server.

Adding a Subforum to request Game Staff supervision of Player-Planned and Built Arena and Tournament Events would be a huge step in the right direction I feel.

Players are already protected for Events from PvP interference as long as they post 2 weeks in advance in the announcements on the forums. While this has primarily pertained to Roleplay events, this can also apply to PvP or survival events. A specific date and time has to be given for the event at least 2 weeks in advance, and it has to be a legitimate, thought-out and planned event. Game staff should not need to moderate such events, but are available for players to make tickets if there is an issue with event disruption.

Scoreboard:

PVP is, inherently, a competitive activity. That is why the majority of successful PVP and Factions servers run some kind of scoring system, "Most Kills" "Kill-Death-Ratio" "Most Consecutive Kills" ETC. I feel adding something like this, a scoreboard ranking to top say, 20 players in a few categories could help boost this competitive feeling, and in turn will drive more players to be active as they strive to climb the leaderboards, and will draw in more players as well. Perhaps having monthly rewards of Regals or Custom Items could be another incentive as well.

Ultimately I am going to mark this thread as "Dated". I have seen a similar scoreboard suggestion pertaining to factions and it is already on the board for discussion, with no guarantees on implementation or decision at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.