Archived Shield Plugin

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll dem bones

classic gamer
Reaction score
recently i was playing when someone in general chat said "they should add the shield plugin to this server" i kinda agree since having a shield would help with pvp or with people who live underground or in dangerous areas were mobs spawn constantly.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
recently i was playing when someone in general chat said "they should add the shield plugin to this server" i kinda agree since having a shield would help with pvp or with people who live underground or in dangerous areas were mobs spawn constantly.
In a way, this can help a lot of people in their role-play experience. But, the problem I see with this is, who only carries a shield when you fight in a battle? Because of the Minecraft physics of only having one arm, this shield plugin would not help at the least if you cannot fight back while shielding yourself from your foes.

Overall, this would be cool to see in role-play or even in Minecraft in general.

Three ideas here:

1) Perhaps a single item, "Sword -AND- Shield", that somehow displays sword in one hand, and a shield in the other? Cool idea, but needs to be balanced so that the regular sword doesn't become completely useless, or any other weapon for that matter. Could be enchanted with both sharpness and all the other sword enchants, as well as protection, but needs to do less default damage (says +4?) than a regular diamond sword.

2) Make it an armor slot item, however, this could be a problem since everyone would just wear a shield all the time like the other armor pieces. Perhaps apply a slowness or accuracy debuff?

3) Lastly, just make it a regular item, so the person would ONLY be equipping the shield, just like any other weapon. The benefits would be (in PvE, at least) that they could act as a tank, drawing away fire from her/his comrades, or quickly switching between weapons and shield in tight situations (both PvE and PvP). Cannoneers could use shields while loading and shooting cannons to protect themselves from arrow fire and other cannons. And of course, the RP benefits would be awesome. ;D

MegaMummy200 perhaps something like the Mcmmo abilities, where after a certain cooldown, the command can be used which allows you to have a 20% higher counter attack and dodge chance, however, it gives you a slowness effect.

I've seen something where holding an iron door slows you down immensely, makes it so you can't jump, but reduces attack damage by a good amount. Something like that could work, but there are so many plugins to make that I doubt they'll have the time.

I've seen something where holding an iron door slows you down immensely, makes it so you can't jump, but reduces attack damage by a good amount. Something like that could work, but there are so many plugins to make that I doubt they'll have the time.

So, what you're saying is that you're going to go running around defending yourself; with a door?

I personally agree with you, what I'm doing is providing useful feedback. :)

Theres a plugin out already based on this. it makes use of the unused "piston face" block. Basically works on the premise that youll lift your shield when fighting, so to use it effectivly and negate all damage you need to face your opponent and have the "shield" equipped. Which is somewhat realistic, youd have to lower your blade to protect yourself properly and timing it right and having a good rythm when you fight makes combat a lot more interesting.

Fairly sure you can enchant said shield with knockback and unbreaking aswell. which is good for shield bashing and general longevity of the shield.

Theres a plugin out already based on this. it makes use of the unused "piston face" block. Basically works on the premise that youll lift your shield when fighting, so to use it effectivly and negate all damage you need to face your opponent and have the "shield" equipped. Which is somewhat realistic, youd have to lower your blade to protect yourself properly and timing it right and having a good rythm when you fight makes combat a lot more interesting.

Fairly sure you can enchant said shield with knockback and unbreaking aswell. which is good for shield bashing and general longevity of the shield.

this is what the guy was talking about it wasn't my idea but i dont know who said it.

Oh yes, I have played another server with that plugin it works quite well and looks even better , very good idea to mention that one

I think that the blocking ability of the sword compensates for a shield.

Maybe they could just put an animation in, so that instead of the sword becoming slanted, a little shield would pop up in your opposite hand?

You'd have to be carrying a shield item though.

Something like that would be very cool to see.

Maybe they could just put an animation in, so that instead of the sword becoming slanted, a little shield would pop up in your opposite hand?

You'd have to be carrying a shield item though.

Something like that would be very cool to see.

Good idea, but not possible, sadly. I only know of one mod that does that (Mine and Blade; Battlegear), and if it was possible in vanilla someone would have done it allready.

Status
Not open for further replies.