Archived Removing Mcmmo

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenRekt

Chopper Gunner
Reaction score
Faction
Magnanimus
I believe that McMMO should be removed in its entirety. There are so many reasons why McMMO should be gone in my opinion (as someone who has grinded McMMO myself for countless hours and days). It is by far one of the servers' biggest problems in my eyes, for the following reasons:

- Absolutely deters new players from both PvPing
- Destroys the TPS in two ways: It encourages players to make darkrooms / areas to spawn mobs, creating INSANE TPS drops and the plug-in itself drops the TPS
- Obviously doesn't work well with traits and other plug-ins (Un-fixed damage bugs for ages that arguably made many PvPers go to other servers)
- Is a pain in the ass to grind (once again deters players)
- Widens the gap between PvPers and RPers and creates a seperation between the communities
- Would encourage RPers to PvP more, and make a more equal playing field
- It simply isn't needed when we have the much better traits system

Touching off on that last point - I believe Massive's goal as a server has always been to provide a unique experience, and I believe it accomplishes that at the moment, but it could still easily do that without McMMO. Traits allows for some awesome PvP, but because McMMO and Traits conflict (to my understanding) it creates game-breaking damage bugs that cause 3-hit kills, players to tank for ages and numerous other glitches that I've literally never encountered anywhere else other than Massive. I get that people worked hard on training McMMO, but so did I, and I personally believe the fact that it deters players so much from playing and pvping in the survival worlds that it would easily warrant its removal entirely.

I expect a lot of mixed answers, but hopefully I have clearly explained why I stand where I stand. I of course want everyones' opinions on what I have said here, but please remember I am like you, and want to see the server grow just as much as can be seen by the amount of effort I believe I have put forward to give my input on what changes can improve the server.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I agree with this... skills found in mcmmo such as skull splitter, serrated strikes or heck even tree feller could be inlcuded in the trait system we have.

I think last time the staff tried doing this, the "hardcore" pvpers all threatened to take a mass exodus.

Then again, I could be imagining this... Does anyone else remember this happening?

Honestly, the real thing that pissed me off about PvP was MassiveTraits, It allowed for new premiums to PvP on an equal playing field. I completely believe that the longer and harder you train on the server, you deserve to be better in combat. So that being said, I think we should decide to completely remove McMMO and MassiveTraits, and replace them with a new and more in-depth RPG plugin. One that allows players to customize classes and get perks from wearing different armors, while at the same time unlocking slots for Trait buffs.

I don't get why we reward players by allowing them to be on an equal playing field as the veterans when it is so clear that the veterans have worked so much harder. So, my opinion stands that MassiveTraits are shit. I would much rather have them removed than McMMO. Vanilla McMMO allowed for more skill in PvP, not this "Balancing" crap that the staff had made the effort to enforce. McMMO was originally made to be a system where different weapons would counter each other (Bows counter Swords, Unarmed counters Bows, Axes counter Unarmed, and Swords counter Axes). Because of the changes made with McMMO on Massivecraft, Bows, Unarmed, and Swords all lost their appeal. McMMO became more about axes than anything, and people who trained for Unarmed lost their efficient *Disarmed* effect. Bows went from 300% additional damage from skill shot to 200%, and Swords lost their counterstrike ability. Because of those changes McMMO is no longer good, it just made things a little easier for people. (More damage than Vanilla MC)

(I wrote this at 1:30 in the morning, Don't know if this sounds good, or if it is comprehensible at all xD)
In all honesty, Balancing PvP is really easy, all you have to do is run the numbers. I don't see why people fuss about the "Difficulty" of it all xD

Honestly, the real thing that pissed me off about PvP was MassiveTraits, It allowed for new premiums to PvP on an equal playing field. I completely believe that the longer and harder you train on the server, you deserve to be better in combat. So that being said, I think we should decide to completely remove McMMO and MassiveTraits, and replace them with a new and more in-depth RPG plugin. One that allows players to customize classes and get perks from wearing different armors, while at the same time unlocking slots for Trait buffs.

I don't get why we reward players by allowing them to be on an equal playing field as the veterans when it is so clear that the veterans have worked so much harder. So, my opinion stands that MassiveTraits are shit. I would much rather have them removed than McMMO. Vanilla McMMO allowed for more skill in PvP, not this "Balancing" crap that the staff had made the effort to enforce. McMMO was originally made to be a system where different weapons would counter each other (Bows counter Swords, Unarmed counters Bows, Axes counter Unarmed, and Swords counter Axes). Because of the changes made with McMMO on Massivecraft, Bows, Unarmed, and Swords all lost their appeal. McMMO became more about axes than anything, and people who trained for Unarmed lost their efficient *Disarmed* effect. Bows went from 300% additional damage from skill shot to 200%, and Swords lost their counterstrike ability. Because of those changes McMMO is no longer good, it just made things a little easier for people. (More damage than Vanilla MC)

(I wrote this at 1:30 in the morning, Don't know if this sounds good, or if it is comprehensible at all xD)
In all honesty, Balancing PvP is really easy, all you have to do is run the numbers. I don't see why people fuss about the "Difficulty" of it all xD

Okay, let's look at it from the other angle. It's really not fair to new players that WANT TO pvp, but don't stand a chance against veterans who were grinding in a darkroom all day and night for months (or years) on end before hand (especially if the newbies have more important life obligations).

Veterans already have the greatest advantage in that they know the terrain far better than a newbie and therefore can outmaneuver them without trouble, so to give them the extra boost of having a year's worth or more of dark room training is beyond unfair to anyone who wants to try to get into the pvp scene.

Couple that with TPS dropping and also bugs in the combat system and you've got a "cool kids only club" where only the most elite with slightly above decent computers can perform well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was around the first time this was brought up so I know how the topic will likely end. I just wanted to possibly show you a different side of the whole picture.

Okay, let's look at it from the other angle. It's really not fair to new players that WANT TO pvp, but don't stand a chance against veterans who were grinding in a darkroom all day and night for months (or years) on end before hand (especially if the newbies have more important life obligations).

Veterans already have the greatest advantage in that they know the terrain far better than a newbie and therefore can outmaneuver them without trouble, so to give them the extra boost of having a year's worth or more of dark room training is beyond unfair to anyone who wants to try to get into the pvp scene.

Couple that with TPS dropping and also bugs in the combat system and you've got a "cool kids only club" where only the most elite with slightly above decent computers can perform well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I was around the first time this was brought up so I know how the topic will likely end. I just wanted to possibly show you a different side of the whole picture.
If you wanted this to be a server where pvp was fast, quick and easy, leave, go find a minigame server and play Skywars, or Hungergames or some shit where things are "fair".
That's the nicest thing you're gonna get outta me at 3 in the morning :3

If you wanted this to be a server where pvp was fast, quick and easy, leave, go find a minigame server and play Skywars, or Hungergames or some shit where things are "fair".
That's the nicest thing you're gonna get outta me at 3 in the morning :3
So in summary:

MCMMO is good because it let's you rofl stop new players regardless of skill level?

As far as I see this is all in connection to PVP. Why not just remove all effects MCMMO has on PVP, but not MCMMO itself, if that's even possible. Simply remove the effects for levels on swords, axes, unarmed and bows?
I know a quite new player who was rather encouraged to get high stats and who accomplished 1k in swords and bow in 3 days. A month later he was already competing with the big PVPers and even if he has to learn one or two more things, he is quite able to defend himself.

So in terms of new players not being able to catch up, I call this bullcrap, but I tag this one player so he can state his view..
@Neckerei

Last edited:
Removing only pvp skills could work. In fact, (I think, but am not 100% sure), it would be possible to create a plugin that would allow the turning into of the pvp skills people have already grinded into credits which can be transferred to other skills. Still not entirely sure though. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone with a little under 3.5k axes.

I'd also like traits to go, but I can't see that happening anytime soon, regardless of what support is shown for it. However, I would like to bring up the possibility of changing all traits over to micro values again, so that while they give you an edge, they don't make up such a big part of pvp, making it more skill-based in the end.

If i recall correctly.. mcmmo is large plugin. Removing it would free up a lot of space for a better tps overall

I am going to have to request not removing Mcmmo x-x

I am sure I am not the only one to spend quite a bit of time and effort just to see a little number go up in rank, allowing for even a 0.01% buff to whatever it is.
Though I am not a PvPer, and while archery is at around 1000, that is only because my faction had wanted me to do it, I would never actually willingly Pvp, however, I do rank up Herbalism, and that takes more time than anything, and seeing a skill that has hours stacked on hours of time be pulled away, that doesn't even affect the problem would be a little, displeasing. This also counts for those who rank up things like Alchemy, Fishing, Woodcutting, etc

I am sure I am not the only one to spend quite a bit of time and effort just to see a little number go up in rank, allowing for even a 0.01% buff to whatever it is.
Though I am not a PvPer, and while archery is at around 1000, that is only because my faction had wanted me to do it, I would never actually willingly Pvp, however, I do rank up Herbalism, and that takes more time than anything, and seeing a skill that has hours stacked on hours of time be pulled away, that doesn't even affect the problem would be a little, displeasing. This also counts for those who rank up things like Alchemy, Fishing, Woodcutting, etc
I spent a lot of time in alchemy, hours of standing in front of the brewing stands, spent lots of money for faction exp boni, etc. Oh, that would then be also a buyable feature that would be removed with the removal of MCMMO: the exp bonus. With that gone the server probably would keep the armor/weapon4ALL purchases. But that's me starting to guess around now.

Nah Herbalism levels quick. Try leveling fishing or taming. :P

OH and @pokyug maxed archery gives you 400% damage not 200%.

I really like the idea of (if its possible) removing the PVP elements of mcmmo but keeping the "civilian" ones like herbalism, alchemy, mining, etc

I'm rather neutral with this. I love tree-feller, but McMMo does make things incredibly difficult for newer players to join into. And don't give me your bull about it being easy, when you need to use the same 3-4 players as an example of how "easy" it is, it's no longer a valid argument. Traits are not the bane of PvP (to those who've been saying that, it's gotten old, please stop) they merely throw in a combination of luck & strategy in the form of a build setup. Could it use rebalancing? Yeah, probably. But the core of the plugin is good.

That said, McMMo should stay until they can replace it with an in-house version that has more moderated effects and an easier leveling system to allow people to get into the thick of things fairly quickly without allowing them to outmatch older and more experienced PvPers immediately like Traits alone does. And if an in-house plugin was crafted, it could/should be done in such a manner as to compliment Traits and be enhanced by said Traits.

So yeah. Keep McMMo until/unless a plugin can be built in-house to replicate it with more customizable features and assimilation with Traits.

I think last time the staff tried doing this, the "hardcore" pvpers all threatened to take a mass exodus.

Then again, I could be imagining this... Does anyone else remember this happening?

I don't remember that happening, however I do know that currently a lot of the "hardcore" PvPers would prefer an increase in TPS and less bugs over McMMO, which as I've said has many more downsides than benefits in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from, and I definitely respect your opinion, however, I'm thinking more about the fact that just because I went through grinding stats, it does not mean we have to force every other player to grind them as well. At this point, no new players are going to come and grind McMMO on a server where PvP is boring, laggy and dying as a community which is where I'm coming from at the moment.

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from, and I definitely respect your opinion, however, I'm thinking more about the fact that just because I went through grinding stats, it does not mean we have to force every other player to grind them as well. At this point, no new players are going to come and grind McMMO on a server where PvP is boring, laggy and dying as a community which is where I'm coming from at the moment.
Is PvP dead though?

I'm rather neutral with this. I love tree-feller, but McMMo does make things incredibly difficult for newer players to join into. And don't give me your bull about it being easy, when you need to use the same 3-4 players as an example of how "easy" it is, it's no longer a valid argument. Traits are not the bane of PvP (to those who've been saying that, it's gotten old, please stop) they merely throw in a combination of luck & strategy in the form of a build setup. Could it use rebalancing? Yeah, probably. But the core of the plugin is good.

That said, McMMo should stay until they can replace it with an in-house version that has more moderated effects and an easier leveling system to allow people to get into the thick of things fairly quickly without allowing them to outmatch older and more experienced PvPers immediately like Traits alone does. And if an in-house plugin was crafted, it could/should be done in such a manner as to compliment Traits and be enhanced by said Traits.

So yeah. Keep McMMo until/unless a plugin can be built in-house to replicate it with more customizable features and assimilation with Traits.

It is easy, it's just that its more boring than watching grass grow. New players shouldn't be forced to grind for days just to be somewhat more competitive in PvP, and then theres also the fact that McMMO and traits have always had major conflicts creating game breaking bugs. McMMO is more of a problem, which is why it SHOULD be removed until something is developed to take its place.

Considering the fact that everybody now has enough god gear to PvP until 2030, fights and loot doesn't matter anymore. Combine that with the fact that damage is bugged, and the TPS and hit-registration are both pretty terrible, the PvP community is quickly losing interest.

Like I said - just because you, I and the rest of the PvP community had to grind for hours on end doesn't mean new players should have to go throught the bad system we have now - especially since almot nobody will spend 2-3 days straight grinding on a server where PvP is dying.

Imagine if you could actually bring other people onto the server, and not have to throw them in a darkroom until they had smacked enough mobs for "x" amounts of hours.

Like I said - just because you, I and the rest of the PvP community had to grind for hours on end doesn't mean new players should have to go throught the bad system we have now - especially since almot nobody will spend 2-3 days straight grinding on a server where PvP is dying.

Imagine if you could actually bring other people onto the server, and not have to throw them in a darkroom until they had smacked enough mobs for "x" amounts of hours.

I don't remember that happening, however I do know that currently a lot of the "hardcore" PvPers would prefer an increase in TPS and less bugs over McMMO, which as I've said has many more downsides than benefits in my opinion.
Laughs when (if they were to remove McMMO) the tps doesn't even improve.

I see what your saying, but then if you take out mcmmo then most of the reward for continuing to grind these stats are gone. The whole reason to grind these is to watch the level for them grow and for you to gain the abiility to use them. The server does not lag much at all, it has a surprisingly good tps and a well handled connection speed, and removing mcmmo would hardly change that. In no way shape or form is anyone required to grind per say herbalism to 1000, that is something people want to do.

i agree entirely with most of what both you and ben are saying. the people who work for the skills deserve better pvp skills, but also it creates a larger divide between new pvpers/rrpers and old pvpers. i agree with pokyug when he says that massive should remove massivetraits and mcmmo. they can make a better plugin that incorporates the features of each in (probably) a very short amount of time AND have more strategy. i think that having a system where you do get (small) bonuses for working on skills is appropriate. however incorporating a triangle system (axe > sword, sword > knife, knife > axe) that has bonuses to damage, (if you do it right) that would rarely be less then the skill bonuses. idk how massive would add a knife, but they could make "stupid" enchants lie bane of arthropods, smite, blast resistance, projectile protection, etc. useful by making blast resistant protect against smite and to a lesser extent bane of arthropods and sharpness. do the same with other enchants so each is it's own sharpness and protection and there ya go! strategy, skill, etc., everyone is happy, we get better tps, and massive updates crazy fast to minecraft updates cause it only uses massive plugins

I would have to consult Cayorion to get the most accurate informaation. But mcMMO in itself does not cause too much of a TPS drop according to the tools I have available.

There should be some sort of leveling system IMO. Not gonna lie that was one of the reasons I chose Massive I wanted a Minecraft RPG experience. Vanilla Minecraft is super boring for me there's very little sense of progression so things like Mcmmo made it feel like the things I did in Massives world made a difference. I wasn't just collecting things for the sake of collecting I was growing as a character.

It's why I have maxed the battle stats for 3 different accounts and currently working on my 4th. xD

There should be some sort of leveling system IMO. Not gonna lie that was one of the reasons I chose Massive I wanted a Minecraft RPG experience. Vanilla Minecraft is super boring for me there's very little sense of progression so things like Mcmmo made it feel like the things I did in Massives world made a difference. I wasn't just collecting things for the sake of collecting I was growing as a character.

It's why I have maxed the battle stats for 3 different accounts and currently working on my 4th. xD
I agree. I love the leveling system and made the server more enjoyable. Kill mobs, level stats and make money at the same time! What's better than that?

I agree. I love the leveling system and made the server more enjoyable. Kill mobs, level stats and make money at the same time! What's better than that?

Killing mobs is boring as hell in my opinion. Especially when the server hit-registration is the worst of any server I have ever played on, while having 50 ms.

I would have to consult Cayorion to get the most accurate informaation. But mcMMO in itself does not cause too much of a TPS drop according to the tools I have available.

Even if McMMO doesn't directly cause TPS to drop, I do believe it plays a major part in why players create darkrooms, which creates a lot of TPS drops.

Killing mobs is boring as hell in my opinion. Especially when the server hit-registration is the worst of any server I have ever played on, while having 50 ms.

eb3469abf74fed16c9f3a5294a638b71.png

And i do not have a good internet provider, nor ethernet. Also if you hold tab, everyone's connection is strong.

Well it also gives an incentive to killing mobs as well as getting money, letting you both see, track, and feel your progress.

MassiveTraits will never be removed. I'm not a staff so I wouldn't know if there were plans, which 99.9% sure there aren't. All the coders probably spent months upon months coming up and coding MassiveTraits only for it to be requested to be removed because some people think traits are unfair? Traits give a completely new feel to the game, they give you abilities you normally wouldn't have and It really makes it unique. There are other options instead of completely removing it as a whole and wasting the coders time just to please mainly the PVP community. I don't play anymore nor care to log on anymore, and haven't in about two months so I guess I don't really have a say in what could cause tps drops and what not.

As far as I see this is all in connection to PVP. Why not just remove all effects MCMMO has on PVP, but not MCMMO itself, if that's even possible. Simply remove the effects for levels on swords, axes, unarmed and bows?
I know a quite new player who was rather encouraged to get high stats and who accomplished 1k in swords and bow in 3 days. A month later he was already competing with the big PVPers and even if he has to learn one or two more things, he is quite able to defend himself.

So in terms of new players not being able to catch up, I call this bullcrap, but I tag this one player so he can state his view..
@Neckerei
I quit personaly enjoyed my mcmmo grinding alot i think its a fun part of the game.

So I guess I'll throw my opinion in fwiw. While I agree tps is terrible at the moment and mcmmo and darkrooms probably contribute some to this, Madus has already said mcmmo itself doesn't contribute much to the lag. As for darkrooms, I don't believe even removing mcmmo would make much of a difference because players will probably still build darkrooms just for the enchanting xp levels. A possible solution to this though could by the opening of more public darkrooms.
Also I'm sure you all know as well as I that there would quite likely be a large amount of people leave the server if something like this was done. With all the recent changes with 1.9 and EULA, there have to be many people left hanging onto this server by a thread. I've seen far more people than I should like leave in the past couple months, and I don't want to see any more. For many of these people, massive has become unrecognizable from what it was even when I joined just 4 months ago. To summarize, if mcmmo was to be removed, it doesn't need to be so close to the major changes resulting from EULA and even 1.9
My opinion though is that there was never a tps problem before 1.9, with mcmmo and traits both. I understand there are other issues that have arisin with them, but I believe that removing mcmmo and/or traits is not the solution. And as for massivetraits, what would happen to Vanos? If flywater were to be removed, they would have nothing left to live for!

So I guess I'll throw my opinion in fwiw. While I agree tps is terrible at the moment and mcmmo and darkrooms probably contribute some to this, Madus has already said mcmmo itself doesn't contribute much to the lag. As for darkrooms, I don't believe even removing mcmmo would make much of a difference because players will probably still build darkrooms just for the enchanting xp levels. A possible solution to this though could by the opening of more public darkrooms.
Also I'm sure you all know as well as I that there would quite likely be a large amount of people leave the server if something like this was done. With all the recent changes with 1.9 and EULA, there have to be many people left hanging onto this server by a thread. I've seen far more people than I should like leave in the past couple months, and I don't want to see any more. For many of these people, massive has become unrecognizable from what it was even when I joined just 4 months ago. To summarize, if mcmmo was to be removed, it doesn't need to be so close to the major changes resulting from EULA and even 1.9
My opinion though is that there was never a tps problem before 1.9, with mcmmo and traits both. I understand there are other issues that have arisin with them, but I believe that removing mcmmo and/or traits is not the solution. And as for massivetraits, what would happen to Vanos? If flywater were to be removed, they would have nothing left to live for!
I've gone solely inactive for the plain fact that 1.9 was implemented. Don't like the update regardless of how Massive made it. I can't stand playing on it for some reason and don't have any motivation to even turn on my PC anymore. Lol

I've gone solely inactive for the plain fact that 1.9 was implemented. Don't like the update regardless of how Massive made it. I can't stand playing on it for some reason and don't have any motivation to even turn on my PC anymore. Lol
I love you heart but replies like this help aboslutly nothing and nobody. Do you have an idea for a solution?

eb3469abf74fed16c9f3a5294a638b71.png

And i do not have a good internet provider, nor ethernet. Also if you hold tab, everyone's connection is strong.
I think we're more talking about the TPS on the servers rather than the ping of the player; lower ping just helps in registering your actions to the server faster. Ping doesn't help when the TPS is <10 and it takes multiple tries/waiting for a long while before you action registers and shows you that you did that action.

Tab isn't always the best indicator, since there's people I've seen have terrible connection yet have 4 or 5 bars.

I think we're more talking about the TPS on the servers rather than the ping of the player; lower ping just helps in registering your actions to the server faster. Ping doesn't help when the TPS is <10 and it takes multiple tries/waiting for a long while before you action registers and shows you that you did that action.

Tab isn't always the best indicator, since there's people I've seen have terrible connection yet have 4 or 5 bars.
Yeah tab isn't accurate at all. It has said I've had 4 bars when I've had 800 ping. I mean if that's good connection lol.

So in summary:

MCMMO is good because it let's you rofl stop new players regardless of skill level?
Actually, McMMO really doesn't make that much of a difference in pvp at the moment except for armor damage, nobody uses bows or unarmed anymore or counterstrike from swords.
Is people like you who see the big numbers and get all like OHHMERGERDITSTOOOPMUSTREMOVENOW

I challenge you to go PvP with the plugins we have right now on massive, you'll find that bad trait setups make so much more of the difference in PvP. MassiveTraits are the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.