Reflections

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by PaladinoGui, Mar 21, 2023.

1. PaladinoGui

PaladinoGui

Plates of gilded metal jiggled across the tunnels of the Sewers. The warrior within bled profoundly from beneath the mass of gold, coloring the petals in between the armor's gaps an even more intense red.

To Naravan, this was no unusual thing. As the Roseborn, his was the duty to make bleed, and bleed for it. All in a relentless chase towards perfection, and the unachievable standards that were pressed- no, demanded of him. And so, though his fractured shoulders cackled with weight, and his legs threatened to snap at every step, Naravan marched on from one bloodshed to the next- Imbued with the grace characteristic of all Teledden.

His companion, however, cared not one bit for any of that.

"Are we there yet?" Chimed Mirror Mirror, idly floating beside his battered master with but a smudge of blood on its reflective surface.

"No."

"Hmm- Hey, I have an idea," the mirror drifted in front of Naravan, a wide smile on the plated warrior's reflection. "How about after you heal, we celebrate one less Kathar, and get ourselves shitless drunk?!"

Naravan did not even stop to grumble. "While others still live?" With a slap to the frame's side, Mirror Mirror was well out of the way. "Don't think so. We have a duty to perform."

"Come onnn-" Came from Mirror Mirror as he was sent reeling and spinning through the air, words dragging on regardless. "If your goal was really to exterminate Kathar, you would already have killed Kathars like Llewyn and Rennyn, rather than befriending them. No- the killing of Kathar is not at all why you roam Crookback."

The Felaadar was brought to pause, then: for the slightest moment, reflective as blood dripped down his golden plates.

"Elaborate."

"Well- I think others already have for you, have they not?" Mirror Mirror caught up to Naravan's side again, then, muttering out. ''It is as Ailred said, in that one poem- You are a gloryhound, seeking any excuse to prove yourself, to a mother you hate and a society that has done nothing but push you on. If the Void wasn't a thing, you would find yet another enemy, to hone your skills and chase glory within this city."

At that, Naravan returned to the march, seemingly having entirely stopped listening after hearing that name.

"Ah- COME ON!" Mirror Mirror complained as he kept up. "I mean- Maybe Ailred wasn't the best example, but others- others that you care about, have said the same thing. Recall what Hyriss once told you, about worrying that this obsession is leading you to your demise?" Despite having no lungs, Mirror Mirror took a breath before continuing. "I worry about the same thing, Master."

Naravan picked up his pace, not daring to look at his companion, as he hushed on. "And what do you know about duty and honor.." The Teledden hushed out. "What could an Apparition possibly-"

"Yes- I am new to this world," Naravan found his reflection nodding. "But ever since you summoned me, I have been observing you and your relations, Master. And clearly.. Something is wrong. Perhaps it is time to listen to Harlow, and pay heed. Time to drop the sword, and-"

"I AM NOTHING WITHOUT THE SWORD!"

The Mage's voice boomed through the streets, a great wave of power echoing across the tunnels, shaking water and cobble alike. Finally having reached Root Court. Naravan grasped his bloody fingers to the wall as he lowered himself to his knees, dragged down the wall as the gilded pile of plates collapsed into itself into a fetal position With ragged breathing, he looked off into his floating companion, golden gaze wavering.

"Mirror Mirror..''

But as Naravan spoke to the often yappy mirror, Naravan did not hear an answer. And indeed, even as he looked to its reflective surface, he did not find his familiar reflection, but a blank image. Nothing on its glass at all. How strange. But then again, the Roseborn could barely see anything else at all, as blood seeped down to overcome his vision, and usurp consciousness.

"Mirror Mir-..''

And without much ceremony, Naravan's golden gaze came to a close. Half a corpse, half a god, the inert Roseborn would await until a familiar healer would come and heal him within this territory- To blossom anew, and do it all over again.

(characters mentioned: @Rowet @Kingdom56 @GRIST_ @fantuinn )

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    #1 PaladinoGui, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023