Archived Proposed Amendment To The Rule Against Alternative Account (alt) Factions

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

VonZane

Lord-Commander of the Order of Val'roth
Reaction score
Faction
The Order of Val'roth
Kingdom
Silferian Empire, Previously the Insidian Dominion
As most of y'all may know, hosting a faction under an alternative account has been outlawed after the server reset, as indicated in MonMarty's Post Server Launch Assessment. From what I have observed, this has been answered by mixed response from various people I have conferred with, with some fiercely supporting in, and others adamantly rejecting it. Since the server lag has seemingly decreased for the time being, I suggest an amendment to the rule against alt factions. This amelioration would serve as a compromise for the opposing groups. My proposal is simple: Allow alt factions, but under strict guidelines.

These rules could be as follows:
  1. Each IP* may have one alt faction in addition to their main faction. (Main faction being regardless of their rank in it, so long as their main resides in it).
  2. The alt faction may not exist larger than 100 chunks, regardless of how many alts you have in the faction.
  3. The alt faction may not be used to hold land or resources for the main faction.*
  4. You must build something substantial on it, warranting a justification of the alt faction. It doesn't mean what you build is pretty, just that you put effort into it.
Now these rules are just suggestions, but I believe these would allow for a more fair environment in the factions world for those with alternative accounts. It would allow for the creation of small darkrooms, storage vaults, and historical claims, while not affecting the current factions excessively. I personally enjoyed having an alt faction in the old server, simply because I could experiment with my own build designs without affecting the main faction. Again, this is only a suggestion, but I believe it would make the factions world just a little more enjoyable for those with alternative accounts.

*IP meaning an individual player. Exceptions for individuals that live together under the same IP address.
*Meaning you cannot claim an area just to strip it of materials, or hold it until you gain enough power in the main faction to claim it.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Only way I ever want to see alt factions again is for darkrooms and limited to the world border in the ocean. Anything else just takes land from new/active multi-person factions and are generally unnecessary.

Only way I ever want to see alt factions again is for darkrooms and limited to the world border in the ocean. Anything else just takes land from new/active multi-person factions and are generally unnecessary.
My darkroom fac was against the world border in the sea ;-; i cri

I totally understand the rule though and I'm okay with it, would love for them to be allowed again doe

I've seen both darkrooms working fine in the wilderness as well as below faction claims.

Small vaults can easily be placed under a faction, and there is plenty of room to do just that.

There are no historical claims on the server at present, and with the current griefing rules in place they should remain fairly pretty even in the wilderness.

With all of these points mentioned, I'll say no to alt factions, even if they would benefit me greatly. I'd rather see mega factions that have to create daughter factions instead of alt factions that only serve to claim land for projects that have proven to work without them.

Yep. I aswell as numerous people don't wish to make a darkroom in the wilderness for it only to get griefed and broken into and sure as hell dont want to screw around with my faction and make a weird scuffed city/darkroom setup

We need the map to last a fair amount of time and the only instance where I would accept alt factions is darkrooms, at the world border like jes said. I don't mean to sound whiny or have the stance of "Game staff are too lazy", but this seems to put a lot of administrative workload on top of an already increased administrative workload due to the heightened claim abuse on the server. I find that enforcing a "No alt faction" rule is far more clean cut and easier at the present moment, then adding in exception clauses, grey cases and all these circumstances that need to be taken into account.

In the future, however, if we have the ability to expand (map wise), we could lax these alt rules by making darkroom factions legal again and then far distant in the future, bringing back some form of alt faction. This all needs to be looked at but the server is in very early stages. Though I commend this thread for its well thought out explanation.

I agree with Cnoc and Fire. Vaults and darkrooms work just fine for now as they are -- inside faction territory. Besides, one alt faction per IP would mean a PLETHORA of new alt factions being able to exist. We want Essalonia full of real facs, not just darkroom ones.

I'd really love name-holder factions to be allowed, but really the only reason for this is so that someone I dislike doesn't take Tyberia while I'm trying to let it remain in the past. No real reasoning just kinda a thing lol

Marking this as dated. As the server grows and expands, we can look into relaxing alt account rules but while Essalonia is the single survival world, the current rules will stay in place. This is mainly due to lack of space.