Postmarked Ylganaësse

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by OkaDoka, Nov 9, 2020.

1. OkaDoka

OkaDoka Bottomless Pit Supervisor Staff Member Lore3

_."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._."._

A malya tel-ámintaal¹,

I pray that you are well. Of course, it is the truth that I do not know how well you are, for it is unlikely that we have crossed paths before. Or indeed, that if we did, that it was for a length of time greater than for a few passing moments. The circumstances which have kept us from being previously acquainted may however be put aside, because it is those same circumstances which through their progression now bring us together, or possibly so, should you and others wish it as much as I do. Certainly my desire is profound. You might think this a curiosity, because it is not often that one feels strongly about a matter they have not beheld with their own eyes, but I assure you, it is all well and just. I am not merely lonely in such a way that would be solved through the seeking of a mundane companion. The reason it awaits the arrival of one such as yourself has a lot less to do with my empty evenings and long nights, and far more with the ‘world-feel’ of the Ailor capital, if such an idea makes sense to you.

Because this letter would hardly be of any worth were I not to explain such great propositions, please allow me to do so. There is a soul to every city, in the artistic but also in the experiential and direct sense, which is felt in its every interaction. While we have not spoken before, that does not remove the fact that I have been to your Ilha Faial many a time. Never as dignitary, to be sure, but as a person important in their own way. Twenty or so years ago, before the struggle against the Kathar approached its worst, I took up residence in Ylganaësse as a regimental commander. Such a humble station, I pray, does not make you uneasy. I conducted myself with pride nonetheless. What I mean to say by this is that I understood the way that the armory-citadel functioned, incredibly well, even. There was a certain mood which hung in the air, what things to say and not to say, the companionship you could find. Every day, for five years, it was possible to locate the same cadre of Fin’ullen naval officers at the same sherry bar by the same dock. The profundity of this seemingly simple fact has not been lost on me, and I hope it is not lost on you as well.

That was what defined the ‘world-feel’, what made it so appealing and welcoming to me. That in a continuously turbulent and emotional world, with few certainties, there remained in my vicinity pleasing constants which could be either observed or indulged in at my will. There is nothing like this in Regalia for a discerning Altalar. I would not wish to shock you away from the city of course, and I do intend to bring you here should you find my petitions suitable, but I would make note of this else I mark myself as dishonest in your fair memory. The inhabitants of this Crown City lack a quality which could primarily be described as dignity, the effect of which colors the city differently from any of the major gathering places of Teled Methen. When you go to the markets in Orraal, and you see the visiting mages from Hyä-Ereya perform their rites in honor of Ulley, is it not wonderment you feel? Is it it not a deep and burning appreciation of the grandeur of their art? Here, I am subjected to seeing individuals powerful enough to rip a man in two with a gesture of their fingers play pranks and bandy crude humor like the youth one-fifth our age. It is enough to send me deep into thought, most certainly, and in some senses slightly disturbing.

So it is that the foremost quality lacking is dignity, that which lights the causeways of our legacies and brings the shadows of our statues to bloom. Your company, I truly hope, will bring some of that which is missing. Which is why I desire it so much, for beyond the qualities of your personality which in their beauty remain to myself a vacuous uncertainty, there is the assurance that your conduct will shine brightly, and that your words and gestures will rectify that which has been so childishly neglected. And that alone, that alone my hár-laurevallaï², is reason enough to anticipate your coming, should it be possible. It lies in my hopes that it is, but one must not chance the future wholly to fate, because luck is a disappointing master, and Ashëa³ has never been fond of his children. Though, if I have any decency at all, I will not make this entirely about the situation I am proposing to bring you to, and also write about myself, for besides the situation there is also the person to always take into account.

Imaginably you have been told of me. If you have not been, you likely will be before we come face to face. I have been told that many a ruler encloses portraiture of themselves or reference to such when describing their image, but I am sure of a better way. There is likely at least one Ivaëllan mage in your court, of the Fifth Graduating Cohort. Find them, and ask them about Fëallora, and that will be a more honest account than anything any advisor on matters of state could dictate to you. As for my personality and character, it is hoped that this letter is a satisfactory enough showcase of diction and logical process, and if it is not then I deeply apologize. You will have more opportunities to gain a more thorough understanding when, once again, we have the chance to stand before each other.

Until then, keep safe. Keep in good health. I will sort an arrangement by next week, Ellea willing.

Addressing you cordially and in hopeful faith,

Vivanaláryna Invaula Avalorn.
    Sol Aley bel ant Solleria-Avalorn
    Élseya Oberron Assath Ahaal

¹ - 'to my love-to-be'. Formal address to someone you wish to court.
    ² - ‘friend-who-I-am-hopeful-of-soon-acquiring’
    ³ - Aish-eia, the Altalar god of plots.

• Winner Winner x 17
    • Powerful Powerful x 3
    • Immersive Immersive x 2
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1