Playero - Critique Of Legislation 6/28/308

Discussion in 'Regalian Roleplay' started by Kibaa, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Kibaa

Kibaa Regalian Senator

etrh.png
    nos fuimos tru.jpg
    A local herald is hired to spread news of a recent publication from House Playero.
    darr.png
    CRITIQUE OF LEGISLATION 6/28/308
    XABI PLAYERO - IN DEFENSE OF MAGIC
    [---------------------------]

Roughly a month ago, the Lord Chancellor informed the Crown Isle of Imperial proceedings which ultimately resulted in what we now know as the institutionalized criminalization of magic throughout all levels bar that of the Noble Peerage. Otherwise known as the Arcane Laws, this set of prohibitions were the result of a blatantly misinformed and arcanophobic assembly which has utterly spat on the glorious history of Ailordom by ripping away what has historically been a huge piece of the upbringing of this Empire. Already, thousands across the Archipelago have taken to the streets in protest of this radical decision, acting as living testament to the special bond that magic has forged with Imperial citizens all across the reaches of our borders.

Many years ago, before the Cataclysm had shattered our world, before even the dawn of Ailor, the ancient race of Seraphs utilized magic to propel their society to unparalleled heights, casting forth a vast Golden Age of wonder and remarkable scientific discovery. Their theorized descendants, the Altalar, or Est'alorn, would later go on to utilize magic to a similar degree, creating a prosperous dominion with magic at its focal point as well. The Allorn Empire, as it came to be known, ruled over much of Aloria after having enslaved many other races, notably Ailor. As a result, for many Ailor cultures, such as the proud people of Daendroc, magic has always been an intrinsic part of our culture. The concept of sorcery itself was thoroughly adopted by the slave casts of the Allorn, resulting in the unique branching out of different cultures which each utilized and developed magic to their own taste and liking, much as the Allorn Empire was able to do. To suddenly deprive the common masses of such an integral cultural cornerstone without being given proper reasoning or representation in the matter is simply unacceptable.

Unacceptable hardly begins to cover it, though. In making it so that only enlisted Court Mages are able to use magic, the Imperial Assembly has done a disservice to mages and the city alike. Mages and sorcerers have over the years formed a significant component of Regalian military prowess. Battle-mages have served the Empire's levies loyally for years, spanning many conflicts. More importantly, magic has always been an important tool for the Empire to rely on in times of crisis. During the Elven War of 302 AC, it is said that Holy Emperor Alexander Kade himself sailed to the front-lines with a retinue of elite Azure mages to ensure victory on the fickle battlefied. When this city righteously revolted against the dictator, Andrieu Anahera, and later against the oppressive Songaskian Occupation, it was Fong battle-mages who were always there to secure our harbors. When Crown Prince Cedromar had to take to the skies to rally our people against the perpetrators of the Bone Horror Crisis, it was this city's loyal mages who proudly rode upon the Imperial Dragon's back, raining chaos down upon those who would challenge the might of the Imperial Spirit. Mages have always protected this realm, dating from the historic Void Invasions all the way to modernity. I should not have to be the one to remind people that, alongside the efforts of the City Guard, we have mages to thank for the resolution of the Clicker Invasion.

The ratification of the Arcane Laws gives valid concern to the preservation of public rights. Essentially, the Arcane Laws have once more given the aristocracy of this city even more power and control over the common masses by allowing magic to be monopolized solely by noble courts. Naturally, bodies like the Steigenfrit Institute are supposed to exist to keep the city updated on relevant arcane affairs so that our legislators may act accordingly, while others such as the Arcanum Order exist to control and oversee rogue elements, as well as regulate sorcery itself. What we now have instead is a total shift of power where-in only nobility is allowed to publicly delve into arcane affairs. This has effectively stripped a great deal of individuals of their rights and even livelihoods. Many people, not just those of the Arcanum Order, benefit from the use of magic in more ways than just one, much as this city has over the years. Magic is not only used to combat victims of pestilent afflictions such as Sanguinism, but also to heal and to lead scientific research. The criminalization of magic causes many problems throughout the entirety of the common sector, ranging from entire clinics now finding themselves unable to utilize magic to heal all the way to a young fisherman who can no longer use magic to aid him at labor.

The Arcane Laws are nothing more than a blatant empowerment of aristocracy once again, taking even more from commoners. It is corruption at its very clearest, and this city will not stand for it. No-- This is only the beginning.

[---------------------------]

PUBLISHED BY: THE DAENDROQUE CULTURAL LIBRARY

AUTHORED BY: XABI PLAYERO
    8/1/308

darr.png Signed, Xabi Playero
    Indentured Servant of the Chancellery
    etrh.png

• Powerful Powerful x 11
    • Educated Educated x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 Kibaa, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. Arhbi

Arhbi Peacemaker

"If it weren't for the anti-noble propaganda that you've laced through this entire treatise you probably could have convinced a majority of the noble assembly to overturn to Magi Criminalization laws," Markus Delmotte remarked, filing the Playero's publication away with other public announcements that he had collected over the years.

• Powerful Powerful x 6
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

"Mister Playero, whatever qualms you have with the magic legislation can be directed towards myself as it was my proposal and my own agenda that was put into being. By my own words the legislation entered the Assembly Hall and was voted into practice, though you have gravely misunderstood what this legislation is.

What I have seen to is the limitation of public magic practice. As a decent Ailor society it is our duty to control those that are beneath us and those who, as I recall, punished and enslaved your very ancestors, Mister Playero. It is not by fear that this legislation exists, but by our rightful authority to govern this Empire and to dictate the course of history itself. The Arcane will submit to the oversight and control of Ailordom or it will face complete destruction by the same Ailor Empire that has given it mercy for so long. It is up to the mage to decide if they will uphold a level of human decency, a concept that I often wonder if they are capable of feeling, based on years of demonic invasion and the destruction of millions of Regalian souls by the hands of the Arcane.

Do not be a fool, Mister Playero. There is a level of control and balance to how the world progresses. Will you choose to tip the scale out of balance for the sake of your heathen brethren you champion today or will you let Ailor dominance and progress win in the end?

If you feel so emboldened to challenge my Imperial granted authority to present this legislation, then I welcome you to challenge me by the sword. I will provide you whatever necessary to ensure a balanced duel."

Signed
    Lord Harald von Drachenburg
    Protector of Irole
    Black Wald Dragon Paladin of the Viridian Order

• Powerful Powerful x 8
  4. Birdsfoot_Violet

Birdsfoot_Violet tacit and refined evil Staff Member Lore3

In a similar manner to the posters strewn about the city prior, a response is printed, copied, and pasted wherever this critique is posted or handed out wherever it is preached.

"Do not use our existence and current situation to peddle your Jacobinism and belligerent anti-noble rhetoric. And do not rope us in with your treasonous house and name. It actively is a detriment to our cause and efforts."

It is only signed, again, with a Magescript seal.

"Unbroken is the Circle"

• Powerful Powerful x 6
    • Educated Educated x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HybrisVT

HybrisVT A totally serious person.

Anika Kreiburg looked at the herald and didn’t bother listening as she returned to the wunderbar.

-

A certain Dorkarth chuckled and continued on, “Someone infect this poor soul.”

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Pellaeon

Pellaeon step off cuzzo

Few papers were posted around under the supposed Mage's response

To whichever piece of spoiled bacon wrote this,

A Jacobin is a person with the intent to radically (violently) overthrow the government and establish their twisted core tenets, those usually being the dissolution of the established nobility and aristocracy, and the insertion of complete "equality" among everybody in the known world. Is this man actively shitting on the nobility and their assembly? Yes. Is his opinion on the laws of magic absolutely ridiculous? Yes (depending on who you ask). Is the hidden message behind his paper to violently overthrow the established government and implement the core tenets listed above? No. The only detriment to thy "cause and efforts" is you and yours, you pack of toe-eyed earthworms. The problem with the mages is that most if not all are children in adult bodies; what I mean is, you "people" have the demeanors of fucking toddlers. You are two year olds with otherworldly powers. Take them powers away and you'd all be sent back to the fucking nursery. While this man's paper is questionable at least, he did not spend hours out of his day to write a lengthy treatise only for you pig penned lemmings to choke out low level insults and accusations. If I ever see another piece of literature posted by some magic mongs with the same asinine quality as thy response, I will send you into next week.

Signed,
    Urijah Jamesson

• Powerful Powerful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

“I thought we all just unanimously agreed to keep doing magic, but illegally. The guards can’t arrest us all!” Theresa commented aloud, the Haeksen’s arm leaking eerie green smoke as they always did.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  8. bwmwags3

bwmwags3 Refugee

The Dwarf smiled “If it were not for his risky takes against the noble might find more ears. Yet I do agree with the rest...” he pet the spectral animal by his side in the closed off study as he went back to writing.

“He speaks well, Sadly his anti noble sentiment isn’t gonna go well. If you want government to change their laws you approach them. Know your audience Playero but least its an Essay I can get behind for a change.” The Url says putting a copy of the Notice into a desk drawer.

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. minecraftsman03

minecraftsman03 Matt_DayMan

Oscar quietly reads the paper, being turning around. Playero's...always causing trouble...it's like...their destiny. But...well...laws don't even matter... he says to himself, sighing with some defeat in his voice We don't have enough manpower to fight against people who can blast us into the past...perhaps...slightly lenient laws no? I mean...maybe allow the more peaceful magic. But ban the more chaotic ones...but of course...I am just a simple guard, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  10. Carcalla

Carcalla Resident Troll

A couple of papyrus sealed letters with Enki Lok-Ningishzida’s seal on them found themselves under a few of these letters, neat handwriting encapsulated them all.
    To Playero;
    Because your Jacobin status wasn’t blatant enough, you have to go against a law directly set in place by the Lord Chancellor himself. That’s rather fitting isn’t it? Either way, I do not mean to throw around insults, I heavily doubt the public takes you seriously to begin with, but let me educate the public about magic, as you’ve missed some key details. This letter is for all of those who believe this man’s bullshit.

First and foremost, the Azure Order, a weak and useless organization now, a moderately powerful mage hunting organization in it’s prime. I’ve seen Sihndar do better, I don’t think this is a good example as they did not practice magic, they actively hunted it. Nonetheless, this goes directly against your point because I’d think they’ve been wanting this magic ban for a very long time, next point of interest.

The Bone Horror Crisis, do I even have to say anything about this Xabi? If I remember correctly, the Bone Horror Crisis was Estel throwing a hissy fit and sending down undead soldiers of bone to Ailoria as a whole. How in the actual fuck is this an argument point for magic? If anything it just proves magic should not only be banned, but that magic-users should be actively hunted. This is not the law and as such I don’t condone hunting mages, but that example is so piss poor I don’t know why I bothered to mention it.

You also forget that the Songaskia are also avid users of magic, you did not mention that but I figure it’s a funny point. Speaking of occupations though, if I remember correctly, the Lo Occupation was certainly a doozy wasn’t it Playero? Do you not remember it, I’m sure most loyal Unionists do. If you do not, it was when a creature called a Deathling, essentially the undead but not as revolting, took over the government and forced our Holy Emperor into Ithania where he could organize the army to retake the city in glorious combat.

Finally you used the Allorn Empire as an example, this almost made me spit out my morning Blackbrew, but I refrained. The Allorn actively enslaved Ailor and some forced their magic upon them in twisted experiments, so I’m told. Because of that, I won’t even continue my argument as I think it’s painfully obvious that this was a bad example.

To conclude Playero, you have no idea what you’re talking about, all you are at this point is an attention seeking Jacobin. The only reason I even wrote this is simply because I was bored and the fact that I quite enjoy the magic ban. There are plenty of other reasons to keep magic banned, like the Void Beast Hagmer or literally any Werebeast you can find. But alas, I don’t care that much, I simply wanted to educate the public on why magic is one of the worst things that could happen in Ailoria. That is not to mention the fact of the Dread War, the Dread Empire being comprised of powerful Kathar void mages and sorcerers, the whole likes. I do implore you Playero, if you want to enjoy any semblance of respect again, keep your head down and follow the god damned laws, don’t argue with them.

Sincerely,
    Enki Lok-Ningishzida

Forgemaster of House Guthrain
    Forgemaster of Vakgar’s Torch
    Owner of Makosh’s Goblet

• Powerful Powerful x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. canaaa

canaaa tea gremlin Staff Member PR2

".. Most of the City's mages have found employment if they've wanted it with noble families anyhow, with only two or three families at their maximum capacity while others have none and actively search for them. What is his issue here?" Milena asks, her brow furrowed as she eyes the nonsense treatise.

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  12. Nirnro0t

Nirnro0t Always smirking

Well I like it,” Fael remarked blatantly, glancing towards one of her companions, giving a shrug of her shoulder, “what? They spoke their mind. It was refreshing to read. Shoot me for it.”

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nicomachean

Nicomachean

A Masked Man had heard the herald, deciding best to stay near the back end of the gathering of citizens. His arms were crossed in such a way as to casually lean against one of the building pillars, waiting until after to grab himself a copy of the publication.

He commented softly, "He is right about the nobles, yet wrong about the vision. The first good thing the nobles have done in this many months is to strike back against magic. However, the nobility class is full of corruption, obsessed with nothing but their own monetary greed. They have forsaken every decent conservative value they claim to uphold, and thus their stock must be replaced."

He glanced around a moment, realizing he was talking to himself, "Damn, my rambling needs an audience."

Finally, the Masked Man turned to walk back toward the golden willow.

• Powerful Powerful x 4
  14. TyrolleanEagle

TyrolleanEagle Grand Elder of Calemberg

In a somewhat comical scene, the hired Herald sent to Calemberg is quickly taken into custody by the Calemberg City Watch outside of Hohenritz Square and faced with several charges, including, but not limited to: Violating the Lord’s peace and good order, conduct unbecoming, slander, sedition, spreading of anti-Calemberger thought, and other related charges.

And thus peace was once again returned to Calemberg’s streets.

• Powerful Powerful x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kibaa

Kibaa Regalian Senator

etrh.png
    resized.jpg Xabi Playero lazily revised over the peculiar response submitted by a certain Enki, as if attempting trying to make some sense of it. A vexed brow wiggled in an upwards motion as the man pondered in confusion, eyes hovering down at the signatories. "Forgemaster... of House Guthrain." The spy mumbled out as he read, suddenly piecing the whole thing together. "That certainly explains a lot." Xabi muttered in apparent spite to nobody in particular, his confusion now having rapidly molded into raw disdain for the name. Reluctantly producing a parchment out of the drawer near his seat, it wasn't long before a small communication for Enki Lok-Ningishzida found itself delivered to wherever House Guthrain may receive their mail from. If it could reasonably reach Enki's hands, it simply read: "Go read a history book, orc."

darr.png
    A new notice is posted to the general boards of the Crown Isle as a response to the latest discussion regarding Critique of Legislation 6/28/308.

Clarifications * Addendum * Rebuttals
    [------------]
    t would appear to me that the general consensus emanating from the higher echelons of Regalian Society, whom this paper is primarily directed to, is that a literary publication critiquing the legislative process and its consequences must somehow equate to a violent Jacobin uprising. The paper, which was nothing more than a peaceful if not quite accusatory call for justice, has seemingly flown completely past the heads of many who would instead immediately prefer to strike at the idea merely because of its author and not because of what it proposes. This can be seen in the fact that the paper proposes no mentioning whatsoever of violent uprising, rebellion, disestablishment, or any altercation whatsoever, but instead proposes that the common class should have some form of representation in the matter of criminality of a cultural cornerstone. Despite the revelation of the fact that the former Lord od Albion tore the Harhold trial from House Playero's hands and sabotaged the legal party by forcibly declaring guilt, and despite the complete rapport of anti-jacobin efforts published in the Playero Files, the Peerage's consensus notably remains unchanged. Such is understandable considering the language used in the paper, but to immediately delve into far-fetched, irrelevant accusations of Jacobinism and outright ostracizing a political critique based on the mere fact that my late brother was a convicted traitor is not only childish, but laughable in the sense that it is a prime representation of how vastly disconnected our noble administrators are from the social classes they rule over. Opinions and rumors preside over factual data and the common good. It is frustrating to be lectured on the importance of "diplomacy" and "approaching the government calmly for change" when it is the very ignorance of the Peerage and the Chancellery that has led the common class to revolt all across the Archipelago. There is hardly any commoner representation, and most if not all attempts that House Playero has made at peaceful communication with Noble Houses and the Chancellery, as well as other bodies such as the now defunct City Assembly, have all resulted in blatant ignorance or dismissal, leading to the publication of this critique. It is moreover even more frustrating to learn that people automatically believe this essay is about some sort of "rebellion" and not about the fact that mages have been stripped of their rights unfairly and without proper reasoning, leading to public outcry across the Empire. As it stands, only those privileged by the grace of a Noble Court may publicly cast magic, and a noble house may only employ two mages at once out of the hundreds if not thousands that dot our population. I would like to give special acknowledgement to a certain Urijah Jamesson, who seems to have been the only one out there sensible enough to be able to separate opinion from fact and properly assess this publication. On that note, nobody cares what this Urijah may or may not have done in the past. The things he published the other day are true whether you admire the man or not. Is nobody going to talk about the fact that this city's weak administration has progressively allowed Sanguine agents and Void Worshippers into the fold of the Peerage?
    darr.png

That leaves me with the following words to the esteemed... "Protector" .. of Irole:

¥our response to this publication is a baffling in the fact that it is an utter representation of every toxic quality the essay sought to call out about the legislative process and its Imperial Assembly. I can hardly figure out where to begin.

There is a sudden pause in the response, and an empty gap in the writing, as if the author had taken a step back. Where the writing resumed below, the hand-writing appeared to be slightly different, perhaps indicating the author had resumed this response at a later time under cooler emotions.
    You claim to merely want to "limit public magic practice" yet it is abundantly clear just from this small comment that you have no idea whatsoever what the concept of magic practice means or involves. The fact that you think "The Arcane" is an entity altogether separate from the lineage of Ailordom shows how utterly disconnected and misplaced you are from the legislation you propose. The Arcane encompasses what Ailordom is entirely, as many Ailor themselves are bound to the practice of magic. Since you clearly haven't noticed, there are Ailor protesting your new rule everywhere. "The Arcane" cannot submit to Ailordom when it itself is bigger than any one true Ailor can fathom. Making it so that magic is illegal does not stop criminals from casting magic. It is nothing but an outright insult to the history of Ailordom, as this Empire would not be as grand as it is today had it not been for magic.

I'm confused. You yourself say it is up to the mage to uphold a level of human decency. That is precisely why arcane destruction is usually dealt by more sinister identities such as Voidlings or the Dread Empire, or even common Ailor brigands, who are not bound to the laws (or at least do not follow) of the Imperial Assembly anyway. On the other hand, beneficial arcane use is common-place among the good-hearted empire of our people, namely inside clinics and healing houses, but also among other sectors such as fishing, fire-fighting, law enforcement, sailing, the military, and much, much more. Again, maybe you would know all of this if the city's administration actually cared to include commoner representation. I hope now you can see why the criminalization of magic is not just irrelevant and useless, but just a straight up offensive gesture which will do nothing to preserve the national security of our Empire other than stir up dissent and even more tension between nobility and the commoner class.

The fact that you immediately seek to silence me with violence, or a "duel" as you may suggest, is the perfect example of what the essay talks about. You claim to be so passionate about your so called "Imperial Authority to legislate" yet you immediately discredit my evidence and argumentation merely based on opinion, and seek to oppress, challenge, and silence rather than discuss, clarify, and actually pay attention to the entirety of the picture. There is more to creating legislation than just "mAgyck destroy, i think it eVil, make illegal! Jacobin if disAGree!." It's also laughable that you think a clash of swords will resolve anything. You ask of me not to play the fool and yet is you who challenges but a mere scholar to battle and expect anything to come out of it as if that will settle the massive clusterfuck of protests you set off throughout the Archipelago. If you truly are so passionate about the matter, then you will accept my challenge to a political debate on the criminalization of magic. You may select two of your honored peers to deliberate your side of the view alongside you, and I will bring two of my own scholarly associates. The discussion should welcome any of the Peerage who might wish to come spectate, as well as those of the common class who would see their rights defended properly.

Spirit guide you, for whatever that may count at this point.

Signed,

Xabi Playero

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    #15 Kibaa, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. Carcalla

Carcalla Resident Troll

The Arak cackled to one of his many employees, garnering another piece of Papyrus from his vast storages, this time not even signing his name or addressing it, simply Pinning it under a notice that was closest to him.

“No worries, I have, and four words particularly stood out to me, particularly in this specific order “Playero, a Criminal Jacobin” Do not try to convince us of you’re non-violence when your dead cousin stabbed a noble.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Banard

Banard AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Playero,
    I don’t know you. I don’t care about you. I don’t think you’ll ever become pertinent in my life whatsoever. But since all of these other people who don’t know, care or believe your relevance to their lives are oodling out puffy decress citing you as one of these jacobs while utterly ignoring the actual discussion at hand, I might as well get my piece of the cake too.

Here’s a limerick. ’Xabi, Xabi - what a prick.’

Signed,
    ENKI LOK-GUTHRAIN, brave saboteur of the integrity of his Rakhon. A good court jester, a terrible servant in any other regard.

Actually signed,
    Hagmer

• Powerful Powerful x 6
    • Like Like x 1