Archived New Player Cooling Down Period?

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno690

Doge of Helvetica
Reaction score
Faction
Helvetica
Recently I spoke to a few players about this and they suggested that I presented this idea forward, as we all know many new players join the server, the majority automatically enter into a faction, for the most part are placed in pre made homes (no complaints there) and are given a very vague and rough idea and guide about the server, these players get bored and for the most part are gone within a day without ever hearing or seeing any of the server lore or some of the brilliant attributes and worlds it has to offer. My suggestion was to have a new player cooling period, where they couldn't join a faction for a few days but instead would have time to get to know the server, get to know its mechanics, its lore, what makes it tick, the how far the server lore wise has come along, all of this potentially done through exploration and NPC's?? I do realise this will cause issues as allot of players could potentially get easily bored at the idea of having to explore and for the most part would rather get stuck into the nitty gritty of the server, but it is an idea, that I feel is needed at this moment as this server has allot to offer, but sadly I don't think it is given much of a chance by new players. Some of what I have mentioned might work out some may not, but even if it could be mended and added to, I feel it would be a benefit not only for all the players, the various factions but also to the server as a whole. @MonMarty

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Recently I spoke to a few players about this and they suggested that I presented this idea forward, as we all know many new players join the server, the majority automatically enter into a faction, for the most part are placed in pre made homes (no complaints there) and are given a very vague and rough idea and guide about the server, these players get bored and for the most part are gone within a day without ever hearing or seeing any of the server lore or some of the brilliant attributes and worlds it has to offer. My suggestion was to have a new player cooling period, where they couldn't join a faction for a few days but instead would have time to get to know the server, get to know its mechanics, its lore, what makes it tick, the how far the server lore wise has come along, all of this potentially done through exploration and NPC's?? I do realise this will cause issues as allot of players could potentially get easily bored at the idea of having to explore and for the most part would rather get stuck into the nitty gritty of the server, but it is an idea, that I feel is needed at this moment as this server has allot to offer, but sadly I don't think it is given much of a chance by new players. Some of what I have mentioned might work out some may not, but even if it could be mended and added to, I feel it would be a benefit not only for all the players, the various factions but also to the server as a whole. @MonMarty
Or perhaps give them an admin faction to join, that gives them an advanced massivecraft tour with quests

Make doing new player tours apart of the new PR staff role as well as a project for, game, rp, and lore as well to help alleviate work stress load.

Perhaps aspiring staff could lead new players on these tours and be rated by the players on how helpful their guides were by its end, giving staff an idea of how well their aspirants work with other people.

I'm gonna say no to the original idea.

For an example, I knew about factions when I came here. I quested and voted a few days and saved 100r to make a faction. I knew what I was doing, and I was a newbie to MassiveCraft.

The tutorial bits in the lobby are helpful, and the book given to players has a lot of information. There's not a lot more someone can do to help new players understand the gist of the server. It ultimately fall on a new player's willingness to read the boards.

Having a forced cool down on every new player just prevents experienced faction players from even trying out MassiveCraft in the first place. One cannot assume that every new player is completely oblivious to all things Minecraft.

I'm gonna say no to the original idea.

For an example, I knew about factions when I came here. I quested and voted a few days and saved 100r to make a faction. I knew what I was doing, and I was a newbie to MassiveCraft.

The tutorial bits in the lobby are helpful, and the book given to players has a lot of information. There's not a lot more someone can do to help new players understand the gist of the server. It ultimately fall on a new player's willingness to read the boards.

Having a forced cool down on every new player just prevents experienced faction players from even trying out MassiveCraft in the first place. One cannot assume that every new player is completely oblivious to all things Minecraft.

Nor do I believe that they are oblivious to all things minecraft, I am purely talking about the server, not the game, each server is unique on its own, this server just happens to be that more unique compared to others, something I have found quite a few (not all) new players find hard to grasp, naturally all players have their own skill levels, some more skilful than others so this would need to be taken into consideration

I don't like the original idea. I think that factions are pretty much one of the best ways to learn about the server, as generally speaking, (especially larger, well-established factions) help the players and give players tours anyways, or at least let them settle in. Preventing them from joining a faction would almost certainly end with players becoming frustrated with not being able to do what they want and being stuck on some tour or running around wilderness or regalia. I really just think this would hurt new players way more than it would help.

Nor do I believe that they are oblivious to all things minecraft, I am purely talking about the server, not the game, each server is unique on its own, this server just happens to be that more unique compared to others, something I have found quite a few (not all) new players find hard to grasp, naturally all players have their own skill levels, some more skilful than others so this would need to be taken into consideration
fair point, though I still think this isn't beneficial

I don't like the original idea. I think that factions are pretty much one of the best ways to learn about the server, as generally speaking, (especially larger, well-established factions) help the players and give players tours anyways, or at least let them settle in. Preventing them from joining a faction would almost certainly end with players becoming frustrated with not being able to do what they want and being stuck on some tour or running around wilderness or regalia. I really just think this would hurt new players way more than it would help.

I get ya, to an extent i agree with your point, however I also have felt for some time too many new players have got bogged down in the quagmire that is large factions, they are recruited, brought to their home and simply become a name on the houses door and for a number of them, never to be seen again. Sometimes I feel they become part of the race that is to recruit as many as possible and simply become forgotten.

This idea seems good in theory but wont work realistically

As I said earlier, It Is something that perhaps can be added and mended to, on paper It could work, in reality I'm not so optimistic, but there is no harm in expressing the idea, perhaps it could be partially used, who knows

Perhaps aspiring staff could lead new players on these tours and be rated by the players on how helpful their guides were by its end, giving staff an idea of how well their aspirants work with other people.
"Pssst, ill give you 1k regals it you rate 9/10" XD Naw I doubt that would happen but ye, I like the ideas in this thread.

An Admin Faction that has a basic plot of land with some basic facilities for new players to make use of would be cool.
have some chests that restock every few days with Wheat and basic supplies to get started, like some wood and cobble maybe.

players get bored and for the most part are gone within a day without ever hearing or seeing any of the server lore or some of the brilliant attributes and worlds it has to offer.
I agree with this part but holding players off from joining a faction could have a negative effect on the traditional Minecraft players. Perhaps the solution lies in a fun tutorial video.

No player who is looking for a new server is going to sign up for the forums right away, let alone watch a video

No player who is looking for a new server is going to sign up for the forums right away, let alone watch a video
It's a very limited when you're targeting teens to early adults that play Minecraft, love roleplay, and fantasy. Trying to get more mmorpg players to enjoy CRP is also an issue that can't be helped but if there was a narrator to show how things work it might help.

I understand what you're trying to achieve, and even I as well am in favor of a comprehensive and extremely detailed introduction tutorial for new players that helps close the gap between the average knowledge a player has of the game Minecraft, and the increased knowledge a player needs to be successful in Massivecraft.

With that being said, I maintain that player run factions in the survival world are still the best way to help new players to the server learn about MassiveCraft. Take the faction I am in, Asteria. When we recruit new people, we make sure they are aware of everything we have to offer, and are here to help them as soon as they need it. We give them help with the basic commands: /f home, accessing faction chat, etc. From there we allow them to explore our towns on their own, and once they have filled their thirst for exploration, they usually request a house, title, or job. All of which we offer immediately.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that factions that help new players and facilitate their growth exist and continue to do what they are doing, they'll continue to exist and be a part of MassiveCraft. Factions that, as someone said "give a title and a name on a door and forget about them" will eventually disappear due to the simple fact that their recruiting methods will cause their demise.

As for your idea about a cooldown for new players, I don't think that's the way to go. I personally am in favor of a comprehensive server introduction that is optional, but is presented to new players upon their first joinimg the server.

So what I'm really hearing @Alj23 is that you are saying the best tutorial is actual practice with the way massive works, and the best way to make that practice happen is to join a larger existing faction that can help you

I understand what you're trying to achieve, and even I as well am in favor of a comprehensive and extremely detailed introduction tutorial for new players that helps close the gap between the average knowledge a player has of the game Minecraft, and the increased knowledge a player needs to be successful in Massivecraft.

With that being said, I maintain that player run factions in the survival world are still the best way to help new players to the server learn about MassiveCraft. Take the faction I am in, Asteria. When we recruit new people, we make sure they are aware of everything we have to offer, and are here to help them as soon as they need it. We give them help with the basic commands: /f home, accessing faction chat, etc. From there we allow them to explore our towns on their own, and once they have filled their thirst for exploration, they usually request a house, title, or job. All of which we offer immediately.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that factions that help new players and facilitate their growth exist and continue to do what they are doing, they'll continue to exist and be a part of MassiveCraft. Factions that, as someone said "give a title and a name on a door and forget about them" will eventually disappear due to the simple fact that their recruiting methods will cause their demise.

As for your idea about a cooldown for new players, I don't think that's the way to go. I personally am in favor of a comprehensive server introduction that is optional, but is presented to new players upon their first joinimg the server.
Yes, but clearly it's not working. How long do you think factions have been doing that? Long before I started and when you join a large faction with their various rules it gets overwhelming. I can see a solution in what you're saying, just need people to pay more attention to the newbies.

So what I'm really hearing @Alj23 is that you are saying the best tutorial is actual practice with the way massive works, and the best way to make that practice happen is to join a larger existing faction that can help you
Yes. Emphasis on factions teaching new players how the server works. But I'm also in support of a staff created tutorial that is presented to new players upon their first login and is completely optional.

Yes, but clearly it's not working. How long do you think factions have been doing that? Long before I started and when you join a large faction with their various rules it gets overwhelming. I can see a solution in what you're saying, just need people to pay more attention to the newbies.
I can't change the nature of large factions that don't acknowledge the needs of their new players. All I can do is be part of a faction that does the opposite and helps new members from the start.

Honestly if you want to place blame anywhere, you should place it on previous versions of lackluster server introductions when players first login. Hopefully the new version alleviates some of the issues new players have when learning about the server.

Yes. Emphasis on factions teaching new players how the server works. But I'm also in support of a staff created tutorial that is presented to new players upon their first login and is completely optional.
What ive often seen as being enticing, at least for me more than not, are servers that throw you into a tutorial right away.. Before i found Massive, i found a server and their tutorial was walking on a long path and there were doors and in order to unlock the door you had to perform the command that you had just learned. I feel like those work better than throwing players straight into the action

What if we just made a huge guild of experienced players with nothing to do to give tours to new players? Do we need staff?

I've actually thought about this after talking to a few people, not about this specifically, but something that could help solve this issue. I doubt the cooling period will ever happen but there are certainly other solutions to solve this problem.

I think that offering help would be cool, but i dont think a forced cool down is a good idea. That way, if players want to strike out and learn by themselves, they can, and if they want some help learning the server, then they can get that easily.

The initial feature suggestion for this thread will be rejected.

While we always welcome suggestions for improving the new player experience, preventing players from joining factions for a period would actually be detrimental. Not all players join with an interest in the roleplay aspect of the server, so preventing them from joining factions when that may be what their interest is would only lose us any potential new survivalist/factions roleplayers.

If any other suggestions here would like to flesh out their concepts, please submit a new feature and idea suggestion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.