Archived Minecraft Overviewer Vs Dynmap

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Joshy54100

☑ rekt ☐ not rekt
Reaction score
Faction
Deldrimor
http://overviewer.org/

Earlier today I found this amazing thing called Minecraft Overviewer. It uses a Google Maps interface to view Minecraft worlds, and can be used on servers, such as MassiveCraft. It has some really cool features that Dynmap doesn't have. Here are some Pros:
  • It has much, MUCH higher resolution images of the world (You can tell what each block is easily)
  • Below is an example image from the official website for Minecraft Overviewer:
front_page_screenshot.png

• You can select custom textures for it to use (Dynmap only uses Minecraft default textures), which would allow us to use the MassiveCraft official resource pack on the map :D
  • It is being actively developed.
Cons:
  • It is not compatible with Factions. This is a major con.
  • It is early in development (See related pro)
Tell me what you guys think below! Please avoid flame and non-constructive negative comments please :)

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That looks amazing, the biggest downside is Factions. Perhaps we should keep an eye on it while it updates, to see if they tweaked it to be compatible with factions?

No Factions? Thats great! MORE CHALLENGES PEOPLE! Dont be so lazy, sheesh. Besides, we only visit factions when we see people online within the faction- and the majority of the time they are visibly noticeable on dynmap (/dynmap show), so what difference does it make? We still see people, which we can use to track down. Should you want to find a faction, ask around.

No Factions? Thats great! MORE CHALLENGES PEOPLE! Dont be so lazy, sheesh. Besides, we only visit factions when we see people online within the faction- and the majority of the time they are visibly noticeable on dynmap (/dynmap show), so what difference does it make? We still see people, which we can use to track down. Should you want to find a faction, ask around.
It can cause problems for where to build a faction, you have to be a certain chunks away from others.

would be neat to allow both to exist until this one is compatible with factions.

If factions could somehow be added to it, I would be all for this, but until then, I would prefer dynmap.

Me gusta! Just tell the guy to make it factions compatible and we're all good :D

Dynmap can show the same resolution, but it'll require more memory resources.

So I see no need in its replacing.

http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/#what-the-overviewer-is-not
Another major con is listed here.
"It does not run fast. Because of the high level of detail, initial renders of a world can take some time. Expect minutes for medium worlds, hours for large to huge worlds. Subsequent renders aremuch faster due to the caching."
I tested it on a server that had a world the size of one on here, and the map actually was much faster than Dynmap in my opinion.

http://docs.overviewer.org/en/latest/#what-the-overviewer-is-not
Another major con is listed here.
"It does not run fast. Because of the high level of detail, initial renders of a world can take some time. Expect minutes for medium worlds, hours for large to huge worlds. Subsequent renders aremuch faster due to the caching."
As far as I know this also applies to dynmap.

Dynmap can show the same resolution, but it'll require more memory resources.

So I see no need in its replacing.
I can confirm this.

From server. Since it renders the map, and then just sends to client. That would take a little longer either.