Archived Massivecraft - Vanilla

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Last_Link

Dont be that guy
Reaction score
Faction
Oak
Kingdom
The Federation
The idea:
-Making a Vanilla survival world separate from factions and Regalia.

Why this might work:
-There are almost no pure Vanilla servers anymore. Alot of people would probably come on to massive to take part in this.
-It could help to make pvp interesting again.
-It wouldnt require much work to make and regulate.

Factions:
-Factions would simply not exist

Clans:
-Clans will take the place of factions
-You can recruit people to clans
-Clan members can still kill each other
-Clans can claim things, but it only protects against massive-restore, not damage from players or building

Spawning:
-There will be multiple safezones spread across the map
-When the player spawns they get sent to one of the safezones
-In the safezone you cant pvp or break blocks
-Eventually it ends and you enter the wild

The Map:
-The map should be 5x larger then the average map

Regals:
-There will be no regals, players will have to form their own currencies

How to get to Vanilla:
- /tp Vanilla

Massive restore:
-Will occur every five months
-Wipes everything not claimed by clans

Nether/End:
-Both can be reached
-There will be a normal end dungeon
-There will be an ender dragon
-Clans will work
-Both should be kept to the size of a normal map
-Massive restore will happen

Blast damage:
-Blast damage will be on

Traits/MCMMO:
-Neither will work

Inventory:
- /bp wont work
- You wont share items from factions

Chats:
-There will be a global chat
-There will be a local chat

Griefing:
-Griefing will be allowed

Other rules:
-Cursing and other rules still apply

Keeping armor:
-You wont keep armor after death

Massive mobs:
-Massive mobs will be disabled

That about sums it up, please leave your thouts/ideas

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Factions:

Clans:
-Clans can claim things, but it only protects against massive-restore, not damage from players or building
It would be one thing on any other server, but Massivecraft is the home of factions, so i dont think any iteration of massive would be without it.
Chats:
Massive's chats are universal, so unless this server is by a different IP (like Vanilla.Massivecraft.com) then idk if this can be achieved.

It would be one thing on any other server, but Massivecraft is the home of factions, so i dont think any iteration of massive would be without it
I get that, we can still call them factions if people want, but they should promote the vanilla style
Massive's chats are universal, so unless this server is by a different IP (like Vanilla.Massivecraft.com) then idk if this can be achieved.
Not gonna pretend to know the first thing about coding or plugins but I imagine having this as a seperate IP would make this all very much easier

Factions are inherently vanilla arent they?
Nope, when I say vanilla I mean just the plain stuff in the game. Factions have alot of stuff that would change this, mainly the claiming, allies, and the fact that someone not in your faction cant build in your claim.
There is probably a reason for that. I find vanilla boring and not very well suited to a large multiplayer environment.
I grew up with Vanilla servers, so I guess I just like them.

This idea is literally just asking for a normal vanilla factions experience, which is large, cobble and obsidian boxes underground

which is large, cobble and obsidian boxes underground
in the sky*

I will say the idea sounds interesting, with flat vanilla being fun to play around with. But at the same time, I do have to say there are a few things that make Massive unique, such as Factions and MassiveMobs.

I see a way to have these features included in this idea (basically enable over claiming of factions when power is low, as well as tnt enabled) but at the same time I'm not sure how open everyone would be for this sort of game style.

Personally I'd give it a shot, but I'd always maintain my faction vault the way it is rn to protect all my loot.

How is pvp fun for the player dying, how is roleplay fun for the player getting their character made non-compliant?
You win some you lose some, Its still fun to me and other people.

These aren't exactly fair comparisons. Non-compliance is more of a bump in the road than anything, and can be worked around. It's also a part of a bigger solution to a bigger problem, in which the non-compliance is only a symptom.

For PvP, the entire relationship is very give and take. The whole point of it is for one of you to die, the risk of doing so being the thrill that keeps you going.

Buildings are not made to be destroyed, and doing so for your own arbitrary pleasure gives nothing to anyone else.

Not only that, but there isn't exactly a way to "win some" if someone just decides to walk up and destroy something you've invested hours in to derive some sort of immature entertainment.

Minecraft is a survival game, in my eyes all the servers making everything super easy for you is the worst thing ever. I like vanilla servers because I like the challenge, the harshness, the inevitability of dying and losing tons of gear. I like having towns where the only thing keeping everyone together is trust and not a plugin that prevents damage. I like having to walk 10,000 blocks just to get to my base. I like having to actually worry about getting food. I like that if I want a set of god armor it will take 5 or more hours getting it.

In 2011 a review of the average server might be "I spawned in and had to put some distance between myself and some hostile players. I found a run down castle with a iron pickaxe. I rebuilt the castle and after about 45 minutes of digging scored some iron armor. Eventually a few noobs came and attacked, I killed them and decided to leave the castle behind."

In 2017 an average server might be "I spawned in at a lobby. After reading alot of signs I went out. I got recruited by a faction. They gave me food, a set of iron gear, and a house. Then they all left. I had nothing too do because no pressure was placed on my survival. The next day another faction attacked, so we stayed in our houses until they left cause they had god gear."

Understand I love factions and roleplay, but I also want to play the game in its original state.

Not for the Massivecraft community.
You act like its an ethically wrong thing to do, but its part of how the game is meant to be played. If someone made a base in rust its meant to be busted into pirate style, and in vanilla its the same way. The competition is the main point. If it was on factions and a member went rogue and griefed it would be bad, but in vanilla its a part of the system.

You act like its an ethically wrong thing to do, but its part of how the game is meant to be played. If someone made a base in rust its meant to be busted into pirate style, and in vanilla its the same way. The competition is the main point. If it was on factions and a member went rogue and griefed it would be bad, but in vanilla its a part of the system.
This game was never created for multiplayer like its evolved into. Thats why you dont see many vanilla servers because it just doesnt work with a larger multiplayer than your LAN. And on top of that, there arent many servers like massive where your builds are extremely safe, so im saying this community wouldnt be that fond of this idea.

This game was never created for multiplayer like its evolved into. Thats why you dont see many vanilla servers because it just doesnt work with a larger multiplayer than your LAN. And on top of that, there arent many servers like massive where your builds are extremely safe, so im saying this community wouldnt be that fond of this idea.
The evolution of multiplayer is kind of the problem, it just used to be singleplayer with other people, but I personally feel the huge changes between the two kind of ruined it.

Larger vanilla servers usually just dont work well because they dont have enough regulations, but a server like massive could probably handle it easily enough.

People also could just go back to building on factions if its not their cup of tea. And im sure that a vanilla world would build its own community from those outside massive

in the sky*

I will say the idea sounds interesting, with flat vanilla being fun to play around with. But at the same time, I do have to say there are a few things that make Massive unique, such as Factions and MassiveMobs.

I see a way to have these features included in this idea (basically enable over claiming of factions when power is low, as well as tnt enabled) but at the same time I'm not sure how open everyone would be for this sort of game style.

Personally I'd give it a shot, but I'd always maintain my faction vault the way it is rn to protect all my loot.

I think over-claim is the answer we're looking for, in addition to reducing the maximum power of each player.

In 2011 a review of the average server might be "I spawned in and had to put some distance between myself and some hostile players. I found a run down castle with a iron pickaxe. I rebuilt the castle and after about 45 minutes of digging scored some iron armor. Eventually a few noobs came and attacked, I killed them and decided to leave the castle behind."

In 2017 an average server might be "I spawned in at a lobby. After reading alot of signs I went out. I got recruited by a faction. They gave me food, a set of iron gear, and a house. Then they all left. I had nothing too do because no pressure was placed on my survival. The next day another faction attacked, so we stayed in our houses until they left cause they had god gear."

Understand I love factions and roleplay, but I also want to play the game in its original state.

I agree with your point that new players are overly reliant on existing faction, and players in god armor can instantly derail anything occurring, but I think vanilla is just too harsh for a playerbase the size of Massive. Keep in mind that I'm a person who played vanilla for a few months myself, under a trust and a semi-unspoken "non-griefing" rule. What made the server so successful was the fact that every ACTIVE player on the server either knew the others before joining or became fast friends with at least one of them. Furthermore, I can totally agree with your notion of willingly walk 10,000 blocks to someone's base, that can make users even more close through long journeys and the inevitable joint-effort construction of a nether railway to make the trip faster. And at the end of it all, there's always that one guy who builds a massive iron golem farm that everybody pays to be a part of (in a currency like slimeballs, which are rare when there isn't a single swamp on the map), then everybody laughs and says what a great time they've had.
My time on vanilla was some of the most fun I've had on Minecraft, but when it ended and I tried taking it up with a different group of people, it just didn't feel right. I don't think vanilla MassiveCraft is feasible, there are simply too many players to make it work well.

I don't think vanilla MassiveCraft is feasible, there are simply too many players to make it work well.
Part of me thinks that may be right, but after the initial surge after release id think it would cap at 20-30 players. If it proves to be too many to handle perhaps sign-ups could be made to get on?

Sorry if this comes off as rude or salty, but if you so desperately want a vanilla server, why not start your own? If your argument for not doing so is the lack of community or such, then invite real life friends and such. Vanilla simply doesn't fit on massive in my opinion. Of course I could just be an idiot for making this suggestion, and if so please feel free to ignore me.

Sorry if this comes off as rude or salty, but if you so desperately want a vanilla server, why not start your own? If your argument for not doing so is the lack of community or such, then invite real life friends and such. Vanilla simply doesn't fit on massive in my opinion. Of course I could just be an idiot for making this suggestion, and if so please feel free to ignore me.
I cant run a server at all, that takes money, time, and advertising. And massive itself is meant to appeal to everyone, roleplayers, pvpers, and faction lovers. Why not vanilla too? Its clearly dying out, and massive could protect it, like it did for roleplay and partially factions.

I cant run a server at all, that takes money, time, and advertising. And massive itself is meant to appeal to everyone, roleplayers, pvpers, and faction lovers. Why not vanilla too? Its clearly dying out, and massive could protect it, like it did for roleplay and partially factions.
But with that logic massive should also get a mini game server and a hardcore server

Overclaim is not the answer.
you'd be surprised how fast power can drop in a PvP situation.

One of the features that makes a server "vanilla" is highly limited build protection. While I do not think that it is appropriate to leave builds totally unprotected, I think overclaim is necessary to prevent some scenarios that occur on the main server, including allies joining a faction only for claim power, then immediately leaving. A 3 person faction holding 200 chunks of land just is not okay in my opinion, even if the faction in question is the alt faction of a far larger faction. Perhaps giving each faction a certain amount of claim power would be a way to resolve such a problem, if it arose.

That is not to say there are not other ways to deal with such a problem, the method described above is just one possible solution that might make "vanilla" on Massive work.

One of the features that makes a server "vanilla" is highly limited build protection. While I do not think that it is appropriate to leave builds totally unprotected, I think overclaim is necessary to prevent some scenarios that occur on the main server, including allies joining a faction only for claim power, then immediately leaving. A 3 person faction holding 200 chunks of land just is not okay in my opinion, even if the faction in question is the alt faction of a far larger faction. Perhaps giving each faction a certain amount of claim power would be a way to resolve such a problem, if it arose.
Faction Tax is the direct replacement for Overclaim. You still have to maintain that upkeep. Because what if a 20 person faction dies down to 5. So those 5 people dont get to have their land protected anymore because of others?

The way I see it, due to the function of of a 'vanilla' server (remember, vanilla minecraft is a singleplayer game) there will never be a large demand for it. It is an extreme niche of gameplay. Maybe Massive can create a smaller-than-normal world with a more vanilla setup, but I don't think it'll be used much, if ever. A world where everything a player makes and does can be taken from them overnight by another player will never last for very long as an inhabited world

All this would result in is a largely unused world. Nobody wants to build something, log off, and log back in to see that someone has destroyed it because it was not protected. I'd be open to this if we could claim our base, but overall I think this would be a waste of the staff's time.

The way I see it, due to the function of of a 'vanilla' server (remember, vanilla minecraft is a singleplayer game) there will never be a large demand for it. It is an extreme niche of gameplay. Maybe Massive can create a smaller-than-normal world with a more vanilla setup, but I don't think it'll be used much, if ever. A world where everything a player makes and does can be taken from them overnight by another player will never last for very long as an inhabited world
All this would result in is a largely unused world. Nobody wants to build something, log off, and log back in to see that someone has destroyed it because it was not protected. I'd be open to this if we could claim our base, but overall I think this would be a waste of the staff's time.
Well, I just think that adding total claiming would only lead to it just becoming factions, which kind of defeats the purpose of it being different.

Not to be rude but Massive isn't really a place for that, if you want something like that I'd suggest you find a server that does. I'm not telling you to leave but there's a huge chance that is not going to happen.

The idea:
-Making a Vanilla survival world separate from factions and Regalia.

Why this might work:
-There are almost no pure Vanilla servers anymore. Alot of people would probably come on to massive to take part in this.
-It could help to make pvp interesting again.
-It wouldnt require much work to make and regulate.

Factions:

Clans:

Spawning:
-There will be multiple safezones spread across the map
-When the player spawns they get sent to one of the safezones
-In the safezone you cant pvp or break blocks
-Eventually it ends and you enter the wild

The Map:
-The map should be 5x larger then the average map

Regals:
-There will be no regals, players will have to form their own currencies

How to get to Vanilla:
- /tp Vanilla

Massive restore:
-Will occur every five months
-Wipes everything not claimed by clans

Nether/End:
-Both can be reached
-There will be a normal end dungeon
-There will be an ender dragon
-Clans will work
-Both should be kept to the size of a normal map
-Massive restore will happen

Blast damage:
-Blast damage will be on

Traits/MCMMO:
-Neither will work

Inventory:
- /bp wont work
- You wont share items from factions

Chats:

Griefing:
-Griefing will be allowed

Other rules:
-Cursing and other rules still apply

Keeping armor:
-You wont keep armor after death

Massive mobs:
-Massive mobs will be disabled

That about sums it up, please leave your thouts/ideas

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this feature does not really fit in on MassiveCraft. MassiveCraft's focus is on Factions/Questing/Roleplay. It is not a vanilla gameplay server.

Status
Not open for further replies.