Archived It's Time To Invent The Wheel.

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowwulf

Beowwulf/Intelligent wolf. Lizard makes sense.
Reaction score
Am I the only one who when they read the orc lore really wanted to build an orc war machine. But I don't think that is possible to build one without at least being able to manually push it. I mean you could set up a rail system but not to an enemies base.

Granted these machine should be the only blocks that can be destroyed much like and anvil does but with less time than it takes. And also you should be able to damage them somehow.

I just think it would be really awesome to be able to build these machines. Also To encourage orcs to be the main ones using them I would add say +15% damage done with cannons and war machines. But orcs also take more damage from arrows to balance it out.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
And it seems a new Challenger has taken the Crown once owned by Dworvern and Minecraftkittys...

And it seems a new Challenger has taken the Crown once owned by Dworvern and Minecraftkittys...
That is very rude and pretentious of you, this idea is simply an idea. You ought to respect him and anyway, I thinks it's about time for the wheel too.

How is this possible on Massive again?

How is this possible at Massive again?

If your asking about coding this and implementing it in massive. Perhaps cay could use the system that carts use. Or just use carts but allow players to add catchments to it. And change how they look and operate them as a push system.

But seriously change how they look. Somehow i don't think a cart of doom is all that intimidating.

Shopping-Cart-of-Doom.jpg

It might be possible to make a plugin to do this. But, once again, I doubt the coder/s have time to make it. They have a lot of ideas, and some of them they are even doing.

It might be possible to make a plugin to do this. But, once again, I doubt the coder/s have time to make it. They have a lot of ideas, and some of them they are even doing.

Do we know anyone on here that has some basic coding skills. Maybe if we make it then present it to the massiveteam then they will accept it. i've decided i'm going to start learning some. So if nothing else in a month or so i'll be working on it.

You couldn't change the appearance of a cart with Bukkit, unfortunately. As for war machines, I'd suggest building quick fortifications with cannons. With some practice, you can have them up and running pretty quickly. While they don't actually move, you can keep building them closer and closer, so it accomplishes a similar objective.

With the Modding API, I'd wager someone might make something like this. Hell, maybe I'll have finally picked up enough Java by then.

You couldn't change the appearance of a cart with Bukkit, unfortunately. As for war machines, I'd suggest building quick fortifications with cannons. With some practice, you can have them up and running pretty quickly. While they don't actually move, you can keep building them closer and closer, so it accomplishes a similar objective.

With the Modding API, I'd wager someone might make something like this. Hell, maybe I'll have finally picked up enough Java by then.

People would take advantage of that and just build up close to the enemy in the first place. Besides no one wants to build the same thing over and over for hours.

And they changed the appearance of a creeper didn't they? I suppose that is way different though.

Does anyone that does coding recommend khan academy for learning it?

Disregard him and his horrible comment, totally uncalled for, all ideas from everyone are always welcome, the only problem with this idea would be orcs get more bonuses and balancing is always a challenge
That is fair. Though if something like a war machine pluggin/mod (yes i know mods will never be added, but this is an idea suggestion thread after all) perhaps it could be expanded to all races.
Naga with war boats, as well as Maiar.
Humans, dwarves, and orcs with similar war machines, but perhaps each being slightly different.
Yanar and Vespids with some organic war machine.
Agni with some sort of fire monster thing. Or a fire charge thrower.
Vampires...well, I suppose they should have the same as humans.
Other races that I know I am forgetting, but I cannot think of anything for them.
The only issue with all this is that what limits who can use what? A human could be taught how to use a Nagan war boat, or at least I would hope so.

Well I didn't mean that only orcs could use them. Just that people who used them are encouraged to be orcs by giving orcs some sort of war machine boost. Possibly taking away their other combat boosts altogether.

But until I've learned how to make a bukkit plugin and do this or someone else does I don't think they will appreciate us just asking them to do this and telling them what to do with it.

So from now on i'd like people to either agree to help make it or refer me to a place where I can learn some coding.

I still think this would be too much work/effort to be made into a plugin. Heck, I'm pretty sure that Minecraft needs modding API for this kind of mod. Of course it would be cool to have this added in, but it doesn't mean that the staff has the time to put this in.

And Elves should get a magic tower which shoots aracane magic for people who got a awakening
300px-BloodElfGuardTowers.jpg 180px-HighElvenGuardTower.jpg No one use the second one, I'm gonna use that for my story maybe

I still think this would be too much work/effort to be made into a plugin. Heck, I'm pretty sure that Minecraft needs modding API for this kind of mod. Of course it would be cool to have this added in, but it doesn't mean that the staff has the time to put this in.
They could RP it, maybe make a couple war machine prototypes and put them in the dungeon. ;)

I don't like this idea because it generalizes species too much. And can also reduce roleplay, even if you may think that it enhances it.

Heres a few things to think about.

1. While orc war machines are common in things like lotro and WoW, I myself do not enjoy carrying over so many fantasy stereotypes. I mean sure, maybe orcs have war machines more often, but what if I roleplay as a human from a tribe of orcs? Why should I not get these machines and powers? Or, what if I roleplay as a savage tribe of humans that often go pillaging and raiding? It is likely that these humans might even have better machines than orcs, why do they not get them?
2. If you add a mechanic like this, orcs are going to be too much of a "special" race. If they get war machines, why don't I get the dagger that my character has? I don't mind, as I roleplay having the dagger, and will often use a piece of flint, or a sword to represent it. Now I'll be fair and say that it is much harder to roleplay a war machine than a dagger, but to be honest I don't think we should add mechanics like this, as the server has been just fine without them, and it will just complicate things.
That is fair. Though if something like a war machine pluggin/mod (yes i know mods will never be added, but this is an idea suggestion thread after all) perhaps it could be expanded to all races.
Naga with war boats, as well as Maiar.
Humans, dwarves, and orcs with similar war machines, but perhaps each being slightly different.
Yanar and Vespids with some organic war machine.
Agni with some sort of fire monster thing. Or a fire charge thrower.
Vampires...well, I suppose they should have the same as humans.
Other races that I know I am forgetting, but I cannot think of anything for them.
The only issue with all this is that what limits who can use what? A human could be taught how to use a Nagan war boat, or at least I would hope so.

I do not support the common cause of people trying to isolate every single race by giving them so many powers to make them stand out. It is not uncommon for elves, humans, and dwarves to live together, so I don't see their technology being that different. Same goes for orcs.

Why would vespids have war machines? There are bugs, living in large hives. Don't quote me on this because I'm no vespid expert, but I don't believe they are as technologically developed as other races either.

Why would Yanar have war machines? They are an incredibly peaceful race. I suppose it's possible that some might be fighters or go to war, but it would be an extreme minority, and I doubt there has been or ever will be an army of Yanar. If there any fighters, it's likely one or two Yanar that are assisting others.

Why would Maiar have war boats? They would move faster by swimming than they would with a boat. Maiar are essentially either savage fish or water elemental people, or just kind of humanoid beings that live underwater. They would have no use for boats, that's a contraption that was designed for beings like humans that can't live underwater or move at such speeds.

Sorry to seem like i'm just putting down the idea, but I think it was a tad ill-thought out. A nice basis, but ideas need to be thought through more before they are posted.

My final thoughts:
If someone wants to RP having superior war machines as orcs, that's fine with me. They can build them with blocks, and perhaps make use of the cannons plugin to do stuff like that. However I think it's a silly idea to make a war machines plugin just for orcs, or any other race, for that matter.

I don't like this idea because it generalizes species too much. And can also reduce roleplay, even if you may think that it enhances it.

1. While orc war machines are common in things like lotro and WoW, I myself do not enjoy carrying over so many fantasy stereotypes. I mean sure, maybe orcs have war machines more often, but what if I roleplay as a human from a tribe of orcs? Why should I not get these machines and powers? Or, what if I roleplay as a savage tribe of humans that often go pillaging and raiding? It is likely that these humans might even have better machines than orcs, why do they not get them?
2. If you add a mechanic like this, orcs are going to be too much of a "special" race. If they get war machines, why don't I get the dagger that my character has? I don't mind, as I roleplay having the dagger, and will often use a piece of flint, or a sword to represent it. Now I'll be fair and say that it is much harder to roleplay a war machine than a dagger, but to be honest I don't think we should add mechanics like this, as the server has been just fine without them, and it will just complicate things.

I do not support the common cause of people trying to isolate every single race by giving them so many powers to make them stand out. It is not uncommon for elves, humans, and dwarves to live together, so I don't see their technology being that different. Same goes for orcs.

Why would vespids have war machines? There are bugs, living in large hives. Don't quote me on this because I'm no vespid expert, but I don't believe they are as technologically developed as other races either.

Why would Yanar have war machines? They are an incredibly peaceful race. I suppose it's possible that some might be fighters or go to war, but it would be an extreme minority, and I doubt there has been or ever will be an army of Yanar. If there any fighters, it's likely one or two Yanar that are assisting others.

Why would Maiar have war boats? They would move faster by swimming than they would with a boat. Maiar are essentially either savage fish or water elemental people, or just kind of humanoid beings that live underwater. They would have no use for boats, that's a contraption that was designed for beings like humans that can't live underwater or move at such speeds.

Sorry to seem like i'm just putting down the idea, but I think it was a tad ill-thought out. A nice basis, but ideas need to be thought through more before they are posted.

My final thoughts:
If someone wants to RP having superior war machines as orcs, that's fine with me. They can build them with blocks, and perhaps make use of the cannons plugin to do stuff like that. However I think it's a silly idea to make a war machines plugin just for orcs, or any other race, for that matter.

War machines are in the orc lore. So if you have a problem with people with people roleplaying orcs have rolemachine take it up with the lore staff not us. Also I want to find out how to make it through bukkit and present it to them and let them decide what to do with it.

All I meant by it is that I personally would encourage people who used them to roleplay as orcs since it's in the lore.

My final thoughts:
Well, for starters, lets start at the top.
I do point out that it would be a culture that builds the war machines, but anyone can man maybe. I don't know.
Vespids are insectoids, and I said that maybe they could have some sort of organic war machine, like the Tyranids for example. Maiar you kinda have a point on, but my point was to attempt to add some balance to this idea that will likely never happen. However its a fun idea, so i was, am, and will continue to roll with it. The Yanar are peaceful, but sometimes even the peaceful need to defend themselves. I could large tree things, or something.
Was it ill-thought? Maybe.
Was it as ill-thought as you thought? Maybe Not.
Will I continue to post things that I think are decent ideas? You can count on it.
All in all, liked your criticism.

My final thoughts:

no they mean that the design is made by orcs so it'll look Orcish and and humans can use it, and that elves will get a Overpowered Aracane Tower that shoots lightning and is designed by me, built by me, and best not pointed at you (Reference)

I think it would be cool, but instead of balancing why not just add different machines for different races...

I would think something slightly different. How about making a mechanic, similar to any one might use for a ship, saying that any structure with, say, a netherack fire, and four connections to the ground made by obsidian in a four block wheel formation, is a movable war machine. Say make it similar to the fence gates, and can only move on level ground or stairs. and it can shoot a cannon ball or something. It would move by powering the netherack brick, and it would turn by command, like /turn war right would turn it 90 degrees right. Something like that I think is a lot more doable than using some kind of cart. The same can be done with ships. This way, every race gets the awesomeness, and everyone can customize their own battle wagon.

I wonder what how my minecart produces friction enough to smoothly go forward

I would think something slightly different. How about making a mechanic, similar to any one might use for a ship, saying that any structure with, say, a netherack fire, and four connections to the ground made by obsidian in a four block wheel formation, is a movable war machine. Say make it similar to the fence gates, and can only move on level ground or stairs. and it can shoot a cannon ball or something. It would move by powering the netherack brick, and it would turn by command, like /turn war right would turn it 90 degrees right. Something like that I think is a lot more doable than using some kind of cart. The same can be done with ships. This way, every race gets the awesomeness, and everyone can customize their own battle wagon.

Amazing as this would be, the lag caused by something like that on Massive would be unbearable.

If you want to add a different item, then no. Impossible. Also, going further on this, creation of these will not even help due to the fact that you can't move or build war machines in the first place without glitches and lag, not to mention faction permissions are going to make them pointless on raids, and I'd rather have special traps and redstone powered mega cannons for defense. Thus, looking at this from a coder's perspective, I'm going to put a fat no on this.

If anybody wants a detailed explanation on why this will not work, please send me a private conversation so that this thread doesn't spammed up by arguments.

or just obliterate the idea then make a huge battle-ready cake tower!

Lag with my idea is realized, but that is just about the only way to really do this whole war machine idea. Unless you want little minecarts running around and shooting fireballs.

That is very rude and pretentious of you, this idea is simply an idea. You ought to respect him and anyway, I thinks it's about time for the wheel too.

Best thing about you saying this; the only person whom disagreed was the person whom was mean in the first place. Grailen

Beowwulf With all seriousness brought back, I think the idea is neat and all, but I really think it'd be a bit too, well, OP I suppose. Again, using the cannons and such could perhaps be a better idea, as I think Alamutians do that, don't they? If not, there must be some reason I keep hearing them talking about creating a war machine...
Plus, if you just RP it that way, it'd be actually coming up the way you WANT it to look, not just some plopped down item.

Status
Not open for further replies.