Pending Review Irrelevant Mini Progressions

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Anseran, May 13, 2020.

1. Anseran

Anseran Ifrit Enthusiast

This is something I just came up with after a second of thought and I'm going to try and elaborate and see where it goes. If it comes out dumb, no harm, no foul.

Some progressions in the past used to mention small tid bits about what was going on in other areas of the world. Looking at the Clicker Crisis we see how different areas are doing and how they cope with resources sent their way. I think it'd be interesting if several small irrelevant progressions were added each month that allow a player quest to be spun and for characters to get involved in other areas of the world.

I call it 'Irrelevant' because really, it likely has no bearing on the story whatsoever but instead gives the players something to reach out to. It should be tied to the progressions as a sort of aftermath without being connected to it in any other way.

Let's say a noble in Daendroque fled their estate during the Clicker Crisis and they were subsequently robbed blind. This might cause some sort of issue with infrastructure in the local area. A player might submit a player quest to hunt down the thief and return what remains of the wealth, to keep or give back. They might try to stabilise the local area by providing funds or creating a gathering in the area to rebuild. Much like thievery leaves behind clues, clues could be left behind or stories of what this group accomplished and how it gave structure to the area. Regardless of their own personal outcome the noble will likely have been given support or ousted but it doesn't matter either way. It's an irrelevant side story that can either end well or badly for the characters and potentially have IC repercussions - The group is seen taking the wealth back to Regalia and reported so that local authorities might hunt them, or the group is rewarded minutely for returning the wealth and so receives some heroic praise IC later.

Like I said this was a fleeting second-thought idea but tid bits give a chance for characters to get involved outside of Regalia whilst giving consequences upon return. If there were to be a system for this, the formula might go along the lines of this:

> Target progression, say what your group wants to do to affect the minute story
    > Staff oversee it, you get the point
    > Post is made later and repercussions are applied.

>> There are ALWAYS repercussions to actions in these quests and players must accept and acknowledge them upon submission, be it injury, imprisonment in Greygate upon return/capture, etc.

Tl;dr These would be 'Irrelevant' to the main story that Direction/Lore is leading but they offer creative campaigns and interludes for characters who want to have a small effect on the world, and the world should then have an effect on them.

Another way of creating these is, in progressions, to have a 'Mini Progressions' tab at the bottom which explains small information that can be acted upon that won't directly affect the progression as a whole. Whereas some groups might be big enough or well funded enough to tackle the main progression head on.

My apologies if this sounds stupid, feel free to criticise/offer anything that might either make it better or explain why this wouldn't actually be helpful at all.

2. NebulaePrimo

NebulaePrimo The Everwatcher :powerful:

This sort-of reminds me of how the progressions with WIS were ideally intended, with idk I think five small new lil events happening each week that the groups could react to. A lot of WIS groups either didn't have two resources or didn't know what to spend them on so the system sorta stopped working. Also reminds me of the Storyweb system which was discontinued late last year but I think is being reworked in the background. Not sure.
    You could always try bringing this up in #new-idea-proposal in the Discord, since that's where most suggestions are made now, I think.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Anseran

Anseran Ifrit Enthusiast

oH okay thanks! I'll get to that later ^^