Archived Infinite Resource Pack Items

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

aprader1

Insert amazing title here
Reaction score
Faction
Algaron?
Hello Massive! I have recently discovered an interesting feature having to do with resource packs. We all know that the textures of each item can be swapped out with a different one, HOWEVER, this works with RENAMED ITEMS. I stumbled across this fancy resource pack that creates FURNITURE, CUSTOM WEAPONS, ETC. Pretty insane stuff. This all uses renamed items and optifine of course. More details can be found on the page.

Moving on! Using this principle Massive can create custom looks for KOTH weapons, lore items, guard armor, furniture... This is due to the fact that each item when renamed is created uniquely unless it shares a name with another item. This may or may not include lore on the item, I have not tested this.

Basically, the resource pack we have now can be updated to include INFINITE textures to change every little aspect.
Including:
Unique looking guard armor, different than leather armor
Koth Weapons
Furniture in Regalia etc...

Please check the link here for more information and give your thoughts on this interesting possibility.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Sounds cool, but also a lot of work.

Do the players need to use Optifine or can the server do it? If so, there's an optifine startup, which means it conflicts with Forge, right? Unless you found a way to put the optifine in as a mod that properly works with forge, so players can use the forge startup. Forge is necessary for MPM, which is more important than custom textures.

Do the players need to use Optifine or can the server do it? If so, there's an optifine startup, which means it conflicts with Forge, right? Unless you found a way to put the optifine in as a mod that properly works with forge, so players can use the forge startup. Forge is necessary for MPM, which is more important than custom textures.
drag and drop optifine into the mods folder. It's compatible with forge.

I've actually used this very texture pack when I first heard of it, and I think there may be a thread here that I wrote mentioning the exact same thing.

However, as accurately put:

And it would be a lot of work. As there are endless words you could assign a texture to, you would never run out of ideas. But, there is only so much one person, or even a group of people can do.

I'm of the opinion that the resource pack has to remain without this feature for the sake of staff dedication to other features. Which would you rather have? A fancy texture pack with thousands of possible weapon textures, or would you rather have staff create those items and add them to the game in the first place?

But, with this all said, the players should capitalize on this concept. We can look through textures and make our own addons to the massive resource pack. For example, I edited the banner json file to make banners held in hand much larger to use as a siegwald banner. The same sort of things can be applied to making custom weapons. All that's needed are some textures, and a non-official pack to store them all.

drag and drop optifine into the mods folder. It's compatible with forge.

I've actually used this very texture pack when I first heard of it, and I think there may be a thread here that I wrote mentioning the exact same thing.

However, as accurately put:

And it would be a lot of work. As there are endless words you could assign a texture to, you would never run out of ideas. But, there is only so much one person, or even a group of people can do.

I'm of the opinion that the resource pack has to remain without this feature for the sake of staff dedication to other features. Which would you rather have? A fancy texture pack with thousands of possible weapon textures, or would you rather have staff create those items and add them to the game in the first place?

But, with this all said, the players should capitalize on this concept. We can look through textures and make our own addons to the massive resource pack. For example, I edited the banner json file to make banners held in hand much larger to use as a siegwald banner. The same sort of things can be applied to making custom weapons. All that's needed are some textures, and a non-official pack to store them all.

Yes it is a lot of work, but this does not need to be done all at the same time. Even just a few items for events every now and then and slowly it will become a large pack of many items. Lastly, it would be easiest on staff ( cough @onearmsquid ) if it were player run. Having one person upload a few textures is nice but slow; our community has many, many perfectly capable people and if they all work together we can get hundreds of textures with minimal effort from each player.

I don't see a problem if the community wishes to alter the resourcepack to do this, however I don't see it becoming the official MassiveCraft pack. MonMarty does a great job creating a pack that pleases everyone but he is only one man.

Tagging him as he manages the resourcepack. @MonMarty

I have looked into the ItemBound Method, and its awesome, but limited. Names cant be too long, IE "Blacksteel Sword" is too long, it wont apply the texture because of this. All items would need shortened names, and it wouldnt work with a lot of lore stuff. That being said, I see a lot of merit in the concept, especially for RP. changing Blacksteel to Black, and Bluesteel to Blue (just for the pack not in lore), you could expand on the number of textures and make the game really open up.

Imagine if guars actually had swords with a bluesteel texture, or you could make iron/steel daggers, or warhammers, etc.

I actually have a pack with six textures in it that I never finished due to the name length issues I ran into, and given my recent forays into making Addons, I might go back to it and try to add some basic weapon variations and random RP items (IE Forks, spoons, plates, brooms, inkwells and quills, etc) . If this doesnt become officially handled by staff at least lol

I have looked into the ItemBound Method, and its awesome, but limited. Names cant be too long, IE "Blacksteel Sword" is too long, it wont apply the texture because of this. All items would need shortened names, and it wouldnt work with a lot of lore stuff. That being said, I see a lot of merit in the concept, especially for RP. changing Blacksteel to Black, and Bluesteel to Blue (just for the pack not in lore), you could expand on the number of textures and make the game really open up.

Imagine if guars actually had swords with a bluesteel texture, or you could make iron/steel daggers, or warhammers, etc.

I actually have a pack with six textures in it that I never finished due to the name length issues I ran into, and given my recent forays into making Addons, I might go back to it and try to add some basic weapon variations and random RP items (IE Forks, spoons, plates, brooms, inkwells and quills, etc) . If this doesnt become officially handled by staff at least lol
I did not know about this length restriction. This is a problem since many lore items are to long of names, however, those that are not to long will work great. I'd love to see what you can come up with!

I did not know about this length restriction. This is a problem since many lore items are to long of names, however, those that are not to long will work great. I'd love to see what you can come up with!
One more thing, so will these objects show up as error signs to players who don't have Optifine?
Can users use this if they don't have Optifine?

One more thing, so will these objects show up as error signs to players who don't have Optifine?
Can users use this if they don't have Optifine?
They simply won't adapt a new texture based on name. If a wooden sword renamed to wooden bat changes to a bat texture, optifine users see a bat and people without it see a wooden sword

They simply won't adapt a new texture based on name. If a wooden sword renamed to wooden bat changes to a bat texture, optifine users see a bat and people without it see a wooden sword
Can you please try to make a poll to see how many roleplayers would download Optifine, or have downloaded MPM? While they are simple mods to install, it's a question as to how many people would do it.
Or even try finding how many people have MPM. Might be too big of a task though, feel free to ignore.

A problem I see with using the furniture part of the resource pack in regalia is that we can't place iron trapdoors or item frames. Oh well.

I do definitely want chairs though... imagine, a world with chairs... and custom window shutters! And stone arches! So gothic...

I do definitely want chairs though... imagine, a world with chairs... and custom window shutters! And stone arches! So gothic...
Personally Im against adding the furniture part because it requires an item to be placed in an item frame, so people without it will just see derpy nothingness. Other than that though, would be cool XD

Personally Im against adding the furniture part because it requires an item to be placed in an item frame, so people without it will just see derpy nothingness. Other than that though, would be cool XD
This is true... however it will still display a name for the item to read so you can kind of imagine it. No good way around this

No chairs or window shutters(retextured doors)? Does it get reset when placed or something?
If so isn't this just custom splashes for more armors and hand items? So more weapons and apparel? I guess that'd be fine.

Issues:
Compatibility - Players with the resource pack see a furnished house, new players that arrive to the server see an ugly empty house with randomly placed item frames. We want to present something nice to new players.

Lag - Item frames produce a 3d model that has to be rendered. This causes lag and it is one of the reasons why players are not allowed to place them in Regalia.

Issues:
Compatibility - Players with the resource pack see a furnished house, new players that arrive to the server see an ugly empty house with randomly placed item frames. We want to present something nice to new players.

Lag - Item frames produce a 3d model that has to be rendered. This causes lag and it is one of the reasons why players are not allowed to place them in Regalia.
The lag issue is why staff place the ones in Regalia however it would be great if players could.