Archived Imbalanced Magics

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magivore

No Rest For The Wicked
Reaction score
You've got it here. Over the past years of roleplaying, I noticed the unfortunate shift that is a lack of characters that will use physical combat. What changed this? Magic! Don't get me wrong: magic is a beautiful thing to mess with, and gets the sticky creative fluids flowing through that sentient noodle we all have. However, it can also be one that is rather irritating. The whole issue with it is a sense of balance as far as the usage and the potency goes.

Any colourful text is a link to its own respective lore page!

Magic being improper? How?

As mentioned before, physical warriors are now having quite a difficult time overcoming these magical opponents. Although there should be cases where this is true, such as a stone body mage versus a knight, there are times when a boxer is losing to a lightning shock mage. There are also examples in which magic is not used whatsoever, either due to the lack of any strengths, or simply because it's rather difficult to go through a whole process to get that one in particular! Magic should be a great option, not the greatest weapon!

You can't really juggle skills. How could a shock mage beat a knight, or have magic be useless? Not possible at all!

It is definitely possible, and in fact, the wiki states of just how easy it is to use these potent skills. Some prime examples are Lightning, which allows you to decimate armies and beat any kind of armoured foe with ease, Antimagic, which allows you to block magic for a whole neighbourhood and gives me the lore-compliant capability to block an entire street's worth of players at a time by the implied potency, and Stone, which lacks a definition on just how strong it is, but from what I've seen allowed with players, permits them to rip entire holes in the Earth to make them just as strong, if not stronger due to being able to control themselves, than the Soul Beast form (which is a Hidden Magic!). There are some magics which I find quite fine as they are, such as Soul, Spirit, and possibly Evergrowth magic*. However, There are also some which are far too weak! Examples of these weak magics are Sight, which only permits you see who uses magic and far distances away for a rather obnoxiously long amount of practice with only permissions to see disturbances in the Void and not the Exist, Letter, which seemingly does not much more than ensure magic usage be placed elsewhere or possession rites after a similarly obnoxiously long amount of time (sorry if I am incorrect, it slightly confuses me), and Chrysalis, which is completely unusable by more than 95% of the roleplay community who wants to be a character other than a surprisingly cool, but not always attractive bug.
*I rarely see Evergrowth magic, but I doubt making a farm in minutes is exactly over powered, not to mention its weaknesses are quite alright, to me.

Then what are your suggestions, white-named player who hypocritically has an Anti-Magic Expert permission?

Decrease requirements to fulfill the weaker magics listed, and decrease the potency of the stronger magics listed!* I felt quite dirty after basically powergaming the sewer tavern full of mages, but what I had done was lore compliant and fits the strength standard of potency. Not only this, but there is a vastly larger amount of Lightning and Antimagic users in comparison to things such as Sight and Letter, which I personally believe has more potential of building roleplay opportunities than the two beforehand. It discourages variation among players who want to hit the top of the throne, not the top of the wonderful story that could be composed with these other blends of skills that don't have to shed blood or do anything offensive!
*Any not mentioned in the above statements I personally deem as decent, but that is subject to change with discussion!
TL;DR - You are gaining absolutely nothing from this by being lazy. Check those links, or at least just read this whole thread! It's not that big of a wall...

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Another thing of note I would say regarding lightning magic, is that realistically it can't be dodged, it moves too fast and has almost an attraction for its target, causing pain to prevent any casting against the mage, and causing the muscles to spasm preventing any physical attacks.

I have an approved Hex Mage character (Profile picture) and I try to make combat with him as fair as possible. I agree with the stone magic bit though -cough- Lucas Amalao -cough- and the strong magics need to be altered a bit, maybe have a weakness tab for combat RP on the wiki or something

While Stone Magic is already being worked on, I don't think you can use a powergaming strife environment like the sewer tavern as a good indicator what would be considered overpowered with the vaster common population of the roleplay universe.

While Stone Magic is already being worked on, I don't think you can use a powergaming strife environment like the sewer tavern as a good indicator what would be considered overpowered with the vaster common population of the roleplay universe.
What other common, magic using environments are there? I've been rather ignorant to any other place that uses magic, aside from the sewers itself, in which there can be seen little to no players in locations other than the sewer tavern (I won't disagree with you on that sewer tavern comment, I admit). Not only that, but I also used the wiki itself as a resource for it. I don't think 40 years in magic should make someone able to take out 15+ trained men with the downsides of overexertion and interruption, which already applies to physical skills. Once more a matter of opinion, but then again, this whole thread is basically going to be one big one.

I'm not overly familiar with the other two magics you mentioned, but I definitely think anti-magic needs to have some more weaknesses. Please don't think I'm targetting you here, you are always very balanced in RP and I love fighting against you! I give my props.

If I remember correctly not only does anti-magic have a faster learn time, but being able to disable an entire neighborhood of mages just seems a bit overkill to me. It's more of a roleplay inhibitor than anything. This would be fine if, say, it was stressed that doing so would extremely overexert the mage and leave one almost guaranteed to fight a possession infiltration. That would actually be a fabulous weakness in general, actually, similar to how if one messes up a bone charm it causes a voidling power struggle.

In my opinion, letter magic definitely needs a buff or a rewrite, as I have seen little to nobody use it as present. It just isn't really viable or useful to have. Chrysalis magic I am on the fence about. It extremely well-written and underplayed, yes, but at the moment it is one of the biggest driving points for playing a Mekett. Perhaps a sub-form of it could be available to all races, however the magic would be more of an alchemy aid than being able to produce magical silk, and is weaker than done by a Circci.

These are just my two-cents of course, feel free to debate with me!

Some prime examples are Lightning, which allows you to decimate armies and beat any kind of armoured foe with ease
The wiki states that the lightning strike is very effective against armoured opponents. Magic is not really my side of lore and I don't know if the lightning strike works the same as lightnings on earth, however, I've come across this site after a little bit of research.

The wiki states that the lightning strike is very effective against armoured opponents. Magic is not really my side of lore and I don't know if the lightning strike works the same as lightnings on earth, however, I've come across this site after a little bit of research.
Although very helpful, you usually don't have enough time to really prepare for said lightning strikes. Either way, a surprisingly high level of characters in magical areas have some degree of metal covering or metal weaponry, which leaves them at risk to metal bending.

Stone magic needs more limitations, but, stone beasts aren't really supposed to be that powerful at lower levels, and expert level needs to really have a lot of specifics, and a lot more downsides to it, mabye adding some mental downsides would help, mabye some physical since they're being exposed to a shit ton of possibly toxic substances. and a definite time limit, and I feel I fucked up with bringing 6-7 more mages into the scene by making the super edgy amalao fan now.

Stone magic needs more limitations, but, stone beasts aren't really supposed to be that powerful at lower levels, and expert level needs to really have a lot of specifics, and a lot more downsides to it, mabye adding some mental downsides would help, mabye some physical since they're being exposed to a shit ton of possibly toxic substances. and a definite time limit, and I feel I ****ed up with bringing 6-7 more mages into the scene by making the super edgy amalao fan now.
Maybe as rocks grind together around the body, it produces a fine dust that can cause the Mage lung problem in the future, or when moving any large amount of rocks around?

bringing 6-7 more mages into the scene by making the super edgy amalao fan now.
There's nothing really wrong with having a mage family, but the only real problem I see with it is that nearly every Amalao I've seen is an expert stone mage, which may have something to do with that :P

But that's off the topic, so now I'm gonna give my two cents to the main post.

My main character, who is a water/ice mage, is constantly severely underpowered when it comes to fights. Since he's a mage, the only place he can legitimately have a battle without being arrested except for the sewers. HOWEVER, there is nothing explicitly wrong with that. I love making him genuinely concerned about holding his temper above ground because there's the chance he'll be caught. This is also good because he has to be careful who is his enemy in the deep sewers below our beloved Crown City. Having a weak magic really makes you think at times. Remember, having a weak character isn't necessarily a bad thing.

As the above paragraph stated, my character is next to useless in the sewers, but his future endeavors plan to bring him to where his magic will really shine. That's right, the ocean. Imagine how mind-bogglingly overpowered an expert water mage would be in the ocean. He could bring down an entire ship within minutes by moving the water beneath the ship so it goes to the bottom. Another thing would be to make giant waves that crash onto the enemy ship. So as a result, we can conclude that water magic is both underpowered and overpowered at the same time. How is this possible? I'll tell you.

Some magics are situational. An Evergrowth mage is definitely going to have a hard time in a place where there's no plants, but I know a character who has found a way around that by carrying a bag of seeds everywhere. And of course, a water mage is going to have a hard time in a place without any water, as stated. However, the same Evergrowth mage that was at a loss in a plant-free area will bloom in a garden, and a water mage will have a field day at any sort of water body.

Playing a mage really makes you think. I've seen many different variants on the same magics though the core idea is simple enough, you just have to know how to use your head to give your character setbacks and places for them to excel. Take it into your own hands how you think you should balance your character. If you feel like you're overpowered when you use your magic, make the mage tire quickly when casting. If you feel that he's underpowered, see if you can find a way for them to use their magic more efficiently.

Some magics are situational. An Evergrowth mage is definitely going to have a hard time in a place where there's no plants, but I know a character who has found a way around that by carrying a bag of seeds everywhere. And of course, a water mage is going to have a hard time in a place without any water, as stated. However, the same Evergrowth mage that was at a loss in a plant-free area will bloom in a garden, and a water mage will have a field day at any sort of water body.

Playing a mage really makes you think. I've seen many different variants on the same magics though the core idea is simple enough, you just have to know how to use your head to give your character setbacks and places for them to excel. Take it into your own hands how you think you should balance your character. If you feel like you're overpowered when you use your magic, make the mage tire quickly when casting. If you feel that he's underpowered, see if you can find a way for them to use their magic more efficiently.
Although I do love when magic is situational, the three stronger forms of magic can happen whenever they want, and cancel out any chance of someone really wanting to think. Not only that, but I already have made sure my character rarely wins his battles. This is only me, however. There are more than 6 other anti-mages, and the only situation our skill comes handy is when someone else casts, we can completely cancel out and force a character to lose a battle they would otherwise win. Losing is part of the story, but losing specifically because some characters enjoy using the strongest at the best points, and because it's super common, can suck. Not only that, but I really don't think any character is going to have their person waste 40 years of their life to have a skill that can be obtained with a pair of binoculars or a telescope. Weak characters are fun, but there still is a point where someone can deem it a bit ridiculous as to how long it takes someone to have that utility, and still be uselessly weak.

Chrysalis magic ... Perhaps a sub-form of it could be available to all races, however the magic would be more of an alchemy aid than being able to produce magical silk, and is weaker than done by a Circci.
No other race has the organs needed to use the magic, so no.

I do think that Chrysalis needs to be unhidden.

*I rarely see Evergrowth magic, but I doubt making a farm in minutes is exactly over powered, not to mention its weaknesses are quite alright, to me.
Actually making a farm isn't the only thing Evergrowth mages can do. We can grow vines from anything and wrap them around people neck and strangle them.

I have an expert lightning mage as my "main character".
It's like owning a medieval taser with a two second charge-up time.

It's undeniably over powered. I saw Mon say that it's just the environment of powergamers, but you don't have to be a powergamer at all to play lightning in a* powerful way. In fact, even if you go out of your way to be weak, it still outclasses almost every other offensive magic form simply due to "Why use fire when you can lightning bolt?".

Though that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
No other race has the organs needed to use the magic, so no.

I do think that Chrysalis needs to be unhidden.
That's why I said it should be more of an alchemy aid and instead be a magic that can induce or cleanse poisoning. Not be a direct rip of the chrysalis that only Mekett can produce.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be unhidden because it's obviously common and well known For Circci, but humans likely just think the chrysalis is natural voodoo. Similar to how evergrowth is hidden because humans tend to think it's a natural ability of yanar until they see it in action.

Actually making a farm isn't the only thing Evergrowth mages can do. We can grow vines from anything and wrap them around people neck and strangle them.
It still not OP though, is Greasers point! We've been in a mage battle many a-time. Also do be aware that Evergrowth can't actually grow vines from anything, there needs to be a seed or smaller vines already there to grow it. Plants can't actually be materialised, only controlled.

which leaves them at risk to metal bending.
  • The core principle behind magnetic bending is that magnetic fields are created whenever there is a flow of electric current. This can also be thought of as the flow of water in a garden hose. As the amount of current flowing increases, the level of magnetic field increases. As such, it is only experienced and skilled practitioners of both lightning shock and static field that have been witnessed performing the grander feats of magnetic bend - due to their sheer knowledge of the electrostatic flow through not only air, but themselves. By circulating the electrostatic fields through the air or themselves, Magnetic Bend mages are able to tap into the electromagnetic field acting upon most metals within their area of manipulation, exerting invisible force onto them. This could range from lifting to crushing metal, dependent on the amount of time and effort put into the branch of lightning magic. Once more, the area of manipulation and strength of force with which they are able to influence depends on their level of ability. For instance, a field could be created small enough to crush a coin, or large enough to push back armoured assailants.
It takes 30 years to reach mage level in both lightning shock and static field before you can even start learning magnetic bend

Magnetic Bend: A rare branch of lightning magic, typically pursued through Static Field at mage level, magnetic bend practitioners having studied static field alone will be able to manipulate and lift metallic objects as small as coins with ease, while affecting bigger metallic objects above the weight of 20kg would be doable, but strenuous. A practitioner having practiced both lightning shock and static field would be able to influence metallic weights up to 30 kg, due to a clearer, more experienced tap into the electromagnetic field. Overall, the practitioner is able to influence metals up to half a metre around them. Magnetic Bend progresses at the same rate the mage progresses with their other branches of lightning magic. As such, a greater risk must be applied in progressing to expert level in either lightning shock or static field to further understand more of Magnetic Bend. This alludes to why there is so little known about this specific branch of lightning magic, and is only really just the beginning of their journey into Magnetic Bend.
and being able to influence metal only 0.5 meters away from you is less usefull then you'd think. this means you'd have to stand within arms reach of the guard/soldier person or at least within striking distance.

That's why I said it should be more of an alchemy aid and instead be a magic that can induce or cleanse poisoning. Not be a direct rip of the chrysalis that only Mekett can produce.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be unhidden because it's obviously common and well known For Circci, but humans likely just think the chrysalis is natural voodoo. Similar to how evergrowth is hidden because humans tend to think it's a natural ability of yanar until they see it in action.

It still not OP though, is Greasers point! We've been in a mage battle many a-time. Also do be aware that Evergrowth can't actually grow vines from anything, there needs to be a seed or smaller vines already there to grow it. Plants can't actually be materialised, only controlled.
sorry I'm a nub :3

Personally I think it just falls upon the players to dictate how 'OP' this magic can seem. Players can basically decide whether or not they want to have the 30 years dedicated to playing an Expert. I would be super hyped to see an Expert mage play like a Caster, yet reveal their true capabilities in fights that actually matter. What sucks is when people go:

X character casually turns into an unstoppable monstrocity of flesh and horror when their friend gets stabbed once.

It really sucks trying to make moves against Expert mages when they have super talents in whatever they do. Why play a warrior when you can just type that you spent 80 years learning an offensive magic, and have fun obliterating anyone who turns on you? It really depends on the player of the character. Sometimes you see the Expert permission being used to justify winning small brawls in sewers, sometimes you see it used to instigate and support interesting roleplay where two people are at odds. It depends on who's behind the other keyboard and it can help or hurt the RP around them.

If I really wanted to make any changes to Magic, I would make Expert harder to come across, or lower it. It takes away from the uniqueness of being dedicated to one magic when you can find them with a quick search around the sewers. Otherwise I am fine with the way magic is written.

All other races are physically incapable of casting or learning Chrysalis Magic in any way shape or form. It is impossible. Physically impossible. The material needs to be created inside the body, and magically imbued inside the body. No other race can do it.

It's also fairly rare among Circci. Only a small portion of the population can actually use the magic. I just think it needs to be unhidden because there are so few Mekett players, and that would make playing them more hip and swaggdiddlydaddy.

All other races are physically incapable of casting or learning Chrysalis Magic in any way shape or form. It is impossible. Physically impossible. The material needs to be created inside the body, and magically imbued inside the body. No other race can do it.

It's also fairly rare among Circci. Only a small portion of the population can actually use the magic. I just think it needs to be unhidden because there are so few Mekett players, and that would make playing them more hip and swaggdiddlydaddy.
I don't think you're quite understanding what I mean by my first point so I'm gonna stop here. I was suggesting a rewrite that allows the chrysalis to be made in a weaker form through alchemy + magic.

Unhiding it is absolutely fine, I just don't think its necessary because I imagine it's still common and well known to Circci themselves, despite being hidden in the grand scale of things / and to Ailor. But I could be wrong.

Chrysalis, which is completely unusable by more than 95% of the roleplay community who wants to be a character other than a surprisingly swaggalishusdiddilydoodiddly, but always 100% amazing bug.
To those that don't realize, I edited the underlined part as a joke.
Chrysalis is meant to make Mekett and Circci in particular unique. It is their unique power and ability that aids their cultural nature.
I don't think you're quite understanding what I mean by my first point so I'm gonna stop here. I was suggesting a rewrite that allows the chrysalis to be made in a weaker form through alchemy + magic.
I understand what you're getting at, but I don't understand how it could be used by other species due to its current nature. A rewrite would be too far, methinks, for a magic like Chrysalis, but a revamp is fine. Using current lore though, I just wonder how. You Golden Hand, magic using alchemical heretic.

Forgive me if I'm missing anything.
On the terms of Antimagic, I don't see how overpowered it is. Yes, they can take down mages but they have no offensive capabilities after that. They can't shock people, they can't burn people, and from Mage level + they can't exactly become fighters (maintaining their practice).

The only people who are hurt are mages. And even then, an antimage cannot cause physical harm, it is just a hinderance. Something that likely wouldn't be surprising in an anti-magic city.

Forgive me if I'm missing anything.
On the terms of Antimagic, I don't see how overpowered it is. Yes, they can take down mages but they have no offensive capabilities after that. They can't shock people, they can't burn people, and from Mage level + they can't exactly become fighters (maintaining their practice).

The only people who are hurt are mages. And even then, an antimage cannot cause physical harm, it is just a hinderance. Something that likely wouldn't be surprising in an anti-magic city.
I'm not sure how often you have been to the sewers, but there are a whole lot of mages, and now, a whole lot of anti-mages. If it's not seen on how overpowered it is, then perhaps seeing it as inhibiting possible opportunities. Any time that any magic pops up in any part of the sewers, I now find that it completely ruins whatever you were planning to do. This is also to mention that things such as Hex, which could definitely induce some roleplay, is now just blocked out by anti-mages who simply rune themselves and pass beyond it like nothing ever happened. The sewers are still an existing undercity, more popular by good and bad characters alike that revolve heavily around magic and magical combat, unlike the surface which orients mostly upon physical combat and sly characteristics. If it's not seen as being too powerful, then perhaps it may been seen as being too big of a said hindering attribute?

I'm not sure how often you have been to the sewers, but there are a whole lot of mages, and now, a whole lot of anti-mages. If it's not seen on how overpowered it is, then perhaps seeing it as inhibiting possible opportunities. Any time that any magic pops up in any part of the sewers, I now find that it completely ruins whatever you were planning to do. This is also to mention that things such as Hex, which could definitely induce some roleplay, is now just blocked out by anti-mages who simply rune themselves and pass beyond it like nothing ever happened. The sewers are still an existing undercity, more popular by good and bad characters alike that revolve heavily around magic and magical combat, unlike the surface which orients mostly upon physical combat and sly characteristics. If it's not seen as being too powerful, then perhaps it may been seen as being too big of a said hindering attribute?
So instead of using passive distortion (not blocking) they're using Runic Blocking? If I recall correctly Antimages can be infested themselves and surely casting their magic upon themselves and just casting the magic in general would be stupid and end up with them being possessed. Also, aren't they essentially flushing their body with Antimagic, just like an exorcism? So they'd be in crippling pain etc?
I don't think passive distortion needs a nerf and if what I'm presuming is correct, neither does runic blocking. It just needs to be clarified that people cannot runic block themselves.

So instead of using passive distortion (not blocking) they're using Runic Blocking? If I recall correctly Antimages can be infested themselves and surely casting their magic upon themselves and just casting the magic in general would be stupid and end up with them being possessed. Also, aren't they essentially flushing their body with Antimagic, just like an exorcism? So they'd be in crippling pain etc?
I don't think passive distortion needs a nerf and if what I'm presuming is correct, neither does runic blocking. It just needs to be clarified that people cannot runic block themselves.
No, Antimagic doesn't affect an anti-mage. This means they basically are protecting themselves, because they're immune to their own skills, not to mention the amount of times mages cast to overexertion is far more rare than you believe. That, and passive casting is still used. Runic blocking is just used in situations when the mage isn't currently casting otherwise to their other skills.

No, Antimagic doesn't affect an anti-mage. This means they basically are protecting themselves, because they're immune to their own skills, not to mention the amount of times mages cast to overexertion is far more rare than you believe. That, and passive casting is still used. Runic blocking is just used in situations when the mage isn't currently casting otherwise to their other skills.
Passive casting would be more dangerous when he's is considered as if makes the effects more unpredictable, I'd say you can just rp that the hex has strange effects rather than being nullified.
Last time I checked, Antimages can still be exorcised as they can be possessed. Unless you believe otherwise? Essentially by pouring their magic into themselves through runes they're still exorcising themselves. This is gonna have the same effects as a normal exorcism just without the whole infestation leaving (cus it's not there). At least that's what I think. But @Lore can clear it up better than lousy Ol' me.

I want water - magic to be a defensive magic again to be honest.

Despite already being great for utility I think it would benefit many people who want their characters to manipulate the element of water to not just be walking targets for malicious people; they should have some outlet to defend them. And instead of a traditional offensive form, I'm thinking more defensive. That would be great; a purely defensive magic - or at least a little more expansion on Aqueous Flow to make it less restricted and usable for defence.

Passive casting would be more dangerous when he's is considered as if makes the effects more unpredictable, I'd say you can just rp that the hex has strange effects rather than being nullified.
Last time I checked, Antimages can still be exorcised as they can be possessed. Unless you believe otherwise? Essentially by pouring their magic into themselves through runes they're still exorcising themselves. This is gonna have the same effects as a normal exorcism just without the whole infestation leaving (cus it's not there). At least that's what I think. But @Lore can clear it up better than lousy Ol' me.
Blocking magic through casting is different from exorcism casting procedures by a matter of focus and just how much you're casting in the first place, is really the best answer I can give. If someone does state otherwise, then I suppose I am wrong. Also, it's the lack of people who are going less than 100% that is mostly what this whole thread is about. The 100% is just too high, and a lot of people want to hit the 100% on what they can possibly do so they can appear strong or significant. Who doesn't want to be mighty, after all? Let's not forget I also brought up how some magics are just too weak, guys!

All I can say is that Power gaming ruins role play whether it is a mage or anybody else.
  • Wiki for anti-magic says that magic can be distorted for a neighborhood sized range, not completely stopped. The expert in Anti-magic could easily prevent up to three people from casting. If an anti-mage attacked fifteen mages they would die within seconds as the other twelve cast only slightly weakened forms of magic.
  • If I had an agile character that responded to every attempt to hit with lightning fast godly dodges, well the same problem exists.
  • Stone magic is being re-worked and better defined for a reason
  • On the Expert section of lightning magic, it describes some extremes that are rumored to exist. This suggests to me that not even every expert would be able to perform all of these feats. The page also makes it very clear that wielding that kind of power is extremely dangerous, so if every time the mage got mad that somebody spilled their drink, they picked them up by their chainmail using a magnetic field and threw them across the room using magic, chances are that they would eventually kill themselves doing such things.
I could go on and on, but the point is that I would encourage everybody to fully read on their magic and even participate in dialog with Lore staff on what is possible and/or feasible. Intentionally play on weaknesses as well as strengths to make role play more fun fun.

Please also bear in mind that the kind of person who takes 30-40 years to dedicate themselves to study something probably also has certain other personality traits that balance out their power. Does it really make sense that your character would be ultra violent and randomly attacking people now, but over the last 40 years they were perfecting their power they were completely safe? Does it make sense that somebody with a personality that randomly attacks passersby would even survive for 40 years to learn magic that well?

Again, illogical characters, power gaming, and god role play ruin RP whether it is magic or anything else.

Food for thought :)

Last edited:
All I can say is that Power gaming ruins role play whether it is a mage or anybody else.
  • Wiki for anti-magic says that magic can be distorted for a neighborhood sized range, not completely stopped. The expert in Anti-magic could easily prevent up to three people from casting. If an anti-mage attacked fifteen mages they would die within seconds as the other twelve cast only slightly weakened forms of magic.
Actually, the expert makes magic unusable if you get close enough while casting said passive barrier. Everything else is extremely true and I'd say as wonderfully argued, however. I am simply hoping to at least either make their maximums smaller (thus theoretically decreasing how strong it is or even lowering how few situations become completely stacked before it even starts), or even increase the magics that are still very weak. I only have gotten views about the Chrysallis form of that, though...

The uncastable area is much smaller than area effect of distortion though, is the point.

Additionally, the closer a mage comes to them, the harder it is to cast up to a few meters away where all Magic casting becomes impossible.

The uncastable area is just a few meters as opposed to the neighborhood sized area. To me, this means 10-15 feet where it becomes completely feasible for a stone mage for instance to throw a sizable rock at a reasonable speed toward the anti-mage as long as he casts this far enough away.

My point is that an anti-mage even is not completely immune to other powerful magics even if they are an expert anti-mage. Yes it will be much much harder and steps would have to be taken by the other mage to get around the effects, but rightfully so if somebody spent 30 years learning to negate magic.

I'm not arguing that this isn't a bit OP, I am just saying that I don't think it is a total runaway train unless somebody makes it into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.