Pending Review Expand The Land: A Few Concepts/ideas.

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Mycota, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

Hello all! I haven't been on the server for very long, but I want to start off by saying how much I've been enjoying this place. It's been a long time since I've felt so welcomed by a community, and I've had friendly folk just drag me quickly into an RP without hesitation and that means a lot. Thank you guys so much!

One of the things I've noticed is how few places are available for purchase in the main city. Many buildings have already been bought out by other users. I'm super stoked to see this place so active, but I'd also like the opportunity to buy more land/buildings/etc.

On that note, the map is HUGE! There's so much empty space out there, just waiting to become something. I'd love to see some smaller villages and communities pop up. Maybe some more geared towards different races, cultures, etc. Like the districts in the city. I've always been fond of the concept of having a cozy cottage in the woods, or a farm in a small village.

Users could purchase rights to a plot of land somewhere in the wilderness, or in a small farming community. They could use seeds to grow crops for aesthetic and RP purposes. Build a little cabin, live off the land, away from the city. Start a little community, elect village leaders, officers, and city guards could patrol every so often to check up on things. While not royalty, Barons, Dukes, and the like could have closer connection to the royal family being overseers of these lands. There's lots of potential for internal conflicts and various story webs to develop between these communities and the main city.

I'd hope for something like this to encourage people to spread out away from spawn. There's so much of this city to explore, but lots of places are often overlooked from the public eye because they're difficult to get to or find. I'd love to encourage people to just wander and explore. Of course, most RPs are always going to happen near the spawn point, especially when you're just getting started, but I'd love to see more than just the city.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

UPDATE: Some location ideas.

Map ideas.jpg

1: This Island! Could possibly be a hub for fisherman, or an elegant area for wealthier folk who travel between here and the city via boat.
    2: An enclosed lake community, surrounded by the lower mountains/hills and trees.
    3: A village located at the mouth of the river that flows through town! Would be a perfect little farming village.
    4. A community at the foot of the bay
    5. I like the idea of having a built-in-the-hills seaside/lakeside community here.
    6. Cleared away, a lot of the trees here would make great farmland, OR, a heavily wooded community.
    7. Nestled between these mountains could be a super cute, cozy little community that's rich and arts and culture.
    8+9. Closed off by the mountain range (8), and way out of the way (9,) these could be communities for those who are trying to stay far away from the eye of the empire.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. dimetros

dimetros unironic scalie Staff Member Roleplay Staff

These are all good ideas; I'm especially fond of Number 1. It could be maybe a Venice/Naples based area, full of elegance (and tourist traps)!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

It's funny, I had a similar concept! Could by a really artsy community, with a sculpture walk and art galleries, music on the streets, the whole shabang. Could have a large bridge leading to the island, lined with little shops and the like.

5. Lady Amy Poliwag

Lady Amy Poliwag

I like the farm idea. I think this would enhance rp a lot.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Azas

Azas lofi sihai

There are regular festivals throughout the year that utilize other portions of the map with some variety in design, that hit some of the categories you mention. In the years past, there were more RP factions, but this kinda died off as folks focused more on Regalia based roleplay

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

I've noticed a lot of these spaces, and been to one location when I did /tp rp when I first joined in. I'd love to see these areas utilized more often, and maybe have a community surrounding some of them!

I truly think it would bring a lot to the table. Some of the communities could be user-run in a similar way to some of the shops. Communities could have their own discord sever, and IC could discuss local happenings and problems. Villages could butt heads, and guards could intervene between problems to prevent too much civil unrest. Lots of opportunity!

8. SevenBirds

SevenBirds Phantasmal and Resplendent

I would love to see more rural areas for RP! That actually was my intent for my current character, but ended up having to be in Regalia just for practicality. Which isn't bad, but y'know, having the option would be nice. I think the issue would be getting people there because, as you said, most people would just stay in the city. I'm also not sure that there are enough players to support being spread out so far. But, that said, if there was a nice little farm village somewhere and people actually roleplayed there, I'd definitely check it out!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Azas

Azas lofi sihai

I think you’d be surprised at how much of this is already occurring through various staff and player run systems throughout the server, but within the city of course. For example, the various gangs all have discords and work with and against each other, with other parties involved at times (guards, sometimes nobles). Some neighborhoods that cater to cultures have discords and stuff. I like the ideas, so I wanted to share that a lot of this stuff is out there if you can find it, because it may not be immediately visible

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. NebulaePrimo

NebulaePrimo The Everwatcher :powerful:

I think making some more places for different types of rp would be neat. That being said, some of the things you've said already have places that already provide rp types like that. The other concern is spreading out rp too thin. It's nice to naturally just run into people, although that is rare these days. Either way, I'd be down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

Oh my gosh that's also really great to know! I'll keep that in mind when I develop a few other characters down the line! Thank you for letting me know.

12. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

Awesome! That's a concern as well. Though I think it would be a lot of fun to allow people to purchase land in the wilderness to do what they wanted. Whether that's making a small village to run, or a little cabin in the woods, or a secret hide-away, there's a lot of possibilities and routes that could be taken to expand the map and land. Thanks for the support behind this idea! <3

13. Mycota

Mycota Hen of The Woods

Another possible option, but not sure how the staff and userbase overall feels about this.

The option to buy some of these plots of land to build on for either regals or IRL money.

When purchased, the user in question can pick a character of their own (or create one,) to be the Barron/duke/etc. Of the land, depending on how much it cost, and how much land is owned, location, etc. They can choose to sell it to other users for the same price if they no longer want to run it, and /friend to give permissions to specific users to modify the land. Mods could help set up locations for buildings if required, or an honesty system could be in place.

I'm not sure how everyone else would feel about it, as mentioned, and I'm just kind of spit-balling ideas when they come to me.

Expanding to a few locations around the main city, even if not all 9 of those I listed above, would help really flesh out the world and give users the option to encourage others to travel, explore, etc. User events could be held all throughout these areas, and I truly see a lot of great potential here.

14. KK134

KK134 Regalian Pioneer

This would involve giving out nobility status for irl money or IG regals. There is no way to apply for full out nobility for a house at this time and I believe noble DM's would find many issues with having a system that just hands it out for regals as it would be hard to control and possibly debase the amount of IC work and rp people have to put in to be elevated to nobility. The road to full out nobility at this time is really completely IC so giving out noble status like this may not be possible.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #14 KK134, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  15. JResurrected

JResurrected Broken On the Stone

Creative post @Mycota ! Interestingly enough, I am developing a vision for transforming my faction, currently named FortHuff, into an RP-friendly Colonial trading town. The details are fuzzy at the moment, but I believe that incorporating RP into the survival world could make both more interactive and exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RememberTheGame

RememberTheGame The Local Chav

While this is a great idea in theory and can provide different aspects to the archipelago, I don't think this is a productive use of staff time. From my experience from the Regalia before, we had like three small towns on the outskirts that featured similar to how you suggested them, but they never got used. In fact, the only time I saw one used for anything other than an event was when the Freya Lo insurgency occurred when the resistance held up in Rothburg, Kronau and the other castle when we kept getting picked off while I believe there was the vampire's also hiding amongst the countryside nearly a year ago.

We've already got the two towns with their distinct looks which only really get used for events and a town that harbours the criminals. It'd be better spent building more landmarks within the countryside as they've got on the outskirts on the city. The archipelago housed a lot before, from the Meraic's to potentially the Seraph so it would make sense to find something cool in the wilderness for would-be adventurers now stemmed from the Adventure Guild (? I can't remember or be asked to check its name.) It's a lot cooler and more enjoyable roleplay to stumble across an old catacomb deep in the treeline than wandering into a small town that isn't inhabited by anyone, not to mention significantly easier to organize.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. DrFong

DrFong The Knave of Rats

It is always a balancing act between having unique, numerous places to roleplay and getting enough players in an area that they can actually find each other. A giant sprawling RP map with handfuls of people scattered across it ends up looking barren and feeling empty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. rimacutem

rimacutem Local dwarf

Bit late to discussion but why not throw my opinion into the mix
    Really like the idea but it won't propably happen. There was a group that wanted to start stuff in Rothburg but it seems to have died and staff said that the region was only planned for events. But seeing that what staff says can be easily changed if players start actually doing stuff (for example Old Gauntlet, which was unclaimable public property, was claimed the moment Inquisition made it active) I can only suggest making group and actually do it. Do you wanna hunting lodge? There is a small camp east of Regalia at end of road with few tents, if you started active rp here, staff could be swayed to build more stuff here. Wanna village rp? Start occupying farmhouse in Rothburg and just rp there. I doubt anyone will have problem with you not owning house OOC.