Archived Everyday Magics

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuffyPigeon

The puffiest damn pigeon of them all..
Reaction score
Faction
Jin
Kingdom
The Empire of the Great Jin
Roleplay Guilds
Hightower, Vindicators
With the whole rewriting of magic on the server and the new trustee system, I doubt the first thing someone would want to hear about is another rework or large scale change. But, I'd thought I'd toss in my two cents and suggest something I thought would be nice to have around.

There is hardly any magic usage or understanding in this fantasy environment, at least on the server. The wiki is full of mentions of magic in race cultures such as Saivalthar or Ch'ien-Ji, but rarely can anyone play around with these characters without having to go out of their way to get staff attention and be trusted veterans of the server. This is also a likely reason as to why these races are hardly played, sadly.

Something interesting would be to have underlying magic for everyone. An easier way to imagine this is like how much for instance an average person uses plastic in their daily lives without realizing. Everyday actions like simply making dinner, taking care of houseplants, or reading done with small imlipmentations of magic to assist. Average people who took maybe a week out of their time to learn how to blow a candle out from the other side of the room. People who wish to call themselves "mages" would instead need to spend years on learning to conduct larger actions like levitating large objects. These are the people whose characters would need permission to be played.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like the idea, but I'm not entirely sure why it would be necessary. For the most part magic is supposed to be looked down upon by the law, and is generally looked down upon. Everyday magic seems like a nice thing to think about, but it comes with complications such as defining what an everyday use is and how far can a person go with their everyday uses. It also would work to make magic characters less special, because of everyone can do magic then characters who have worked hard to advance theirs seem a bit less unique.

I like the idea, but I'm not entirely sure why it would be necessary. For the most part magic is supposed to be looked down upon by the law, and is generally looked down upon. Everyday magic seems like a nice thing to think about, but it comes with complications such as defining what an everyday use is and how far can a person go with their everyday uses. It also would work to make magic characters less special, because of everyone can do magic then characters who have worked hard to advance theirs seem a bit less unique.

It would probably be minute things, like lifting something the weight of a small flower pot. Something insignificant. Anything further would require permission. I understand how it would make magic less... Rare, unique, blah blah. In that case, there could always be an object that contains a certain use of magic. Or something of it. Contraband? Anyways.

I dont think petty magic such as small items moving about a home, would make actual Trustee Mages less unique, really, or their work any less than what it is.

Not going to lie, in the brief period I was RPing I wished that magic was more accessible. I wanted to play a scholastic character who was a sort of an arcane, magical artifact collector, running a little mini museum or shop or something. Unfortanetly I didnt want to play a criminal at the time.

The Estel Worship rewrite seems to be geared towards giving people 'magic' depending on what vice or virtue they dedicate themselves to. Take a peek at @Shayin and his Google Doc for more insight.

This is also a likely reason as to why these races are hardly played, sadly.

P3FPfOn.png

This screenshot was taken from the fan-managed registry page of the largest EU-side WoW roleplay server. Warcraft universe provides six times the lore to any race other than human, along with hubs, cosmetics and everything elaborate, yet there is an awkward majority of human characters. Same applies to any other roleplay platform I visited so far, including other MC servers.

There is no "barrier" to roleplaying non-humans, nor is there any "disincentive" or "punishment". As simple as it is, people want to roleplay characters and not archetypes. And non-human races intrude on that, since they don't provide a blank state.

I don't enjoy roleplaying magic or with magic characters, because to me it seems like lore-sanctioned powergaming that intrudes on developing a character and engaging in mundane schemes that hinge on roleplay quality, characters and intelligence over applications and lore.

As I enjoy a graceful, fragile and arrogant human over an elf, so I also enjoy a mundane healer/surgeon over a light mage. Hence why I have far more respect and interest in roleplaying with @Dekuras than any of the light mages. It is a shame that the presence of magic dis-encourages some of these mundane professions and skills (lack of archer characters, mostly).

If you question why everyday magic isn't preferred, imagine yourself in a serious plotline with characters in development and pose the following questions:

- Would you prefer to be randomly torched by a fireball, or would you prefer a mercenary stringing an illegal bow they smuggled into the event and shooting you in the stomach?
- Would you prefer a mind mage simply cornering you and tapping into your mind for memories, or an elaborate scheme to abduct your character and torture them without revealing identities so as information is revealed?
- Would you prefer your character spied upon by a mage turned into a rat, or by an elaborately disguised spy who infiltrated your character's circle of trust?

I think only the Estel Magic Worshiper thing should be implented. Magic shouldn't be an everyday thing. It should be an anomaly. And it takes the uniqueness out of it blah blah blah. But apart from what you've already heard, I think magic should be more of a cult like thing. Magic is really looked down upon, and I know that won't stop hardly anybody if it was day-to-day. Remember how many people visited the sewers daily? (I don't know how many actively visit the slums) Making small magic common would bring back the mage population even if it were small acts. If it were given to a looked down upon cult it would be like vampire caverns or groups or whatever they're called but for the other side of magic. Asking for small bits of day-to-day magic is like asking your parents if you can have this or that and you'll "Never do anything wrong again".

P3FPfOn.png

This screenshot was taken from the fan-managed registry page of the largest EU-side WoW roleplay server. Warcraft universe provides six times the lore to any race other than human, along with hubs, cosmetics and everything elaborate, yet there is an awkward majority of human characters. Same applies to any other roleplay platform I visited so far, including other MC servers.

There is no "barrier" to roleplaying non-humans, nor is there any "disincentive" or "punishment". As simple as it is, people want to roleplay characters and not archetypes. And non-human races intrude on that, since they don't provide a blank state.

I don't enjoy roleplaying magic or with magic characters, because to me it seems like lore-sanctioned powergaming that intrudes on developing a character and engaging in mundane schemes that hinge on roleplay quality, characters and intelligence over applications and lore.

As I enjoy a graceful, fragile and arrogant human over an elf, so I also enjoy a mundane healer/surgeon over a light mage. Hence why I have far more respect and interest in roleplaying with @Dekuras than any of the light mages. It is a shame that the presence of magic dis-encourages some of these mundane professions and skills (lack of archer characters, mostly).

If you question why everyday magic isn't preferred, imagine yourself in a serious plotline with characters in development and pose the following questions:

- Would you prefer to be randomly torched by a fireball, or would you prefer a mercenary stringing an illegal bow they smuggled into the event and shooting you in the stomach?
- Would you prefer a mind mage simply cornering you and tapping into your mind for memories, or an elaborate scheme to abduct your character and torture them without revealing identities so as information is revealed?
- Would you prefer your character spied upon by a mage turned into a rat, or by an elaborately disguised spy who infiltrated your character's circle of trust?
i believe you have misunderstood. he does not want the magic schools implemented to everyone like it used to be, he wants more subtle things. Think harry potter first years: they're not all getting super powerful spells, they're turning lights on and struggling to lift a feather because they just can't quite get it right.

i believe you have misunderstood. he does not want the magic schools implemented to everyone like it used to be, he wants more subtle things. Think harry potter first years: they're not all getting super powerful spells, they're turning lights on and struggling to lift a feather because they just can't quite get it right.

It was a general critique on "archetype" versus "character". It is applicable to any situation in roleplay. Any magical element tends to bring focus from the "why" towards the "how" which ruins immersion and development.

I will take the most mundane examples of all. Those who roleplay in the highest quality tend to hint their character's personality, mood and attitude in each and every action they do. One perfect example is the Anahera meetings that used to be in the old estate during the Andrieu occupation. Everything had a subtle hint to it. The amount leaves on the tea. Who poured the tea. The gazes of each individual by the table. Who spoke first. Who sat where. Now imagine meeting an emote of a levitating, self-pouring teapot amidst all this. It suddenly draws focus from the fact that Andrea (unusually) decided to pour herself merely to pass a whisper to one of the guests undiscovered, and puts a narrative focus on a flying tea-pot.

It may seem a stretch to compare this to a rat-formed mage spying or similar, but I see the very same issues: narrative gets re-focused too much on the archetype (the magic and its presence) over the actual events, background and development.

It was a general critique on "archetype" versus "character". It is applicable to any situation in roleplay. Any magical element tends to bring focus from the "why" towards the "how" which ruins immersion and development.

I will take the most mundane examples of all. Those who roleplay in the highest quality tend to hint their character's personality, mood and attitude in each and every action they do. One perfect example is the Anahera meetings that used to be in the old estate during the Andrieu occupation. Everything had a subtle hint to it. The amount leaves on the tea. Who poured the tea. The gazes of each individual by the table. Who spoke first. Who sat where. Now imagine meeting an emote of a levitating, self-pouring teapot amidst all this. It suddenly draws focus from the fact that Andrea (unusually) decided to pour herself merely to pass a whisper to one of the guests undiscovered, and puts a narrative focus on a flying tea-pot.

It may seem a stretch to compare this to a rat-formed mage spying or similar, but I see the very same issues: narrative gets re-focused too much on the archetype (the magic and its presence) over the actual events, background and development.
nah. it's just good fun

You seem to be missing the point, which somewhat frustrates me. This was not meant to have all powerful mages like we had pre-rewrite; this was meant to be the little things. These little bits of magic here and there aren't going to change plots, they aren't going to send anyone to the hospital, ect. I like the trustee system in that aspect, where it is very limited who can obtain these powerful magics to read minds, cast fireballs, and that sort of thing.

You seem to be missing the point, which somewhat frustrates me. This was not meant to have all powerful mages like we had pre-rewrite; this was meant to be the little things. These little bits of magic here and there aren't going to change plots, they aren't going to send anyone to the hospital, ect. I like the trustee system in that aspect, where it is very limited who can obtain these powerful magics to read minds, cast fireballs, and that sort of thing.

These bits of magic, would not affect the immersion in development is what I'm trying to say.

These bits of magic, would not affect the immersion in development is what I'm trying to say.

Average people who took maybe a week out of their time to learn how to blow a candle out from the other side of the room.

I'd define stuff like that exactly as that. I intentionally include similar elements in roleplay but only when my goal is to literally break immersion and bring either alienation or comic relief.

I disagree. The elements by which actions happen, whether they be mundane or as ridiculous as having a flying monkey pour it, all depend on the quality, skill, and attention one is willing to put into as a writer. Yes, by adding magic more elements (or "events" as you said) are added, and some struggle to deal with this as writers; but that is not a reason to punish, read ban, all from being able to use these unique opportunities to flavor their words, actions, and thoughts.

This is the same as a warrior or weapon baring character. They often mention their weapon, shield, or armor in roleplay. Not because they have to, and not to distract from the conversation or other roleplay at hand; but because they wish to enhance their own roleplay. If one doesn't particularly care or want to pay attention to the matters at hand and instead focus on these new elements/events (i.e. weapons or magic in these examples) it is because of the writer, not what is at hand.

Magic does not define a person. It is just a jewelry that one has. You wont always mention it, or use it, or talk about it. Magic does not define you, or your character. If it does consume your character, then you need to rethink that characters purpose. It is just a nice touch, a little spec (In this post's regards) of something. It does not, and should not, undermine the uniqueness of mages. Thats the whole reason why magic works, is cause it needs a caster/user.

Anyways. Im just saying. If you choose for your character to be surrounded by magic, this jewelry, then that's your own downfall. It only leads to a boring character, really, who has no other exciting qualities. So, you can successfully play a person who has a levitating teapot, and go on about the day, cause it's just a teapot. You are not the teapot. You dont even have to mention the teapot.

This is the same as a warrior or weapon baring character. They often mention their weapon, shield, or armor in roleplay. Not because they have to, and not to distract from the conversation or other roleplay at hand; but because they wish to enhance their own roleplay. If one doesn't particularly care or want to pay attention to the matters at hand and instead focus on these new elements/events (i.e. weapons or magic in these examples) it is because of the writer, not what is at hand.

I think the reason we IRP mention our weapons is because they are far harder to put on skins than armour and it's only fair that those roleplaying with us know that our characters are armed. That is completely unrelated to magic or character flair.

I disagree. The elements by which actions happen, whether they be mundane or as ridiculous as having a flying monkey pour it, all depend on the quality, skill, and attention one is willing to put into as a writer. Yes, by adding magic more elements (or "events" as you said) are added, and some struggle to deal with this as writers; but that is not a reason to punish, read ban, all from being able to use these unique opportunities to flavor their words, actions, and thoughts.

We're a bunch of people from all corners of Earth. I am a firm believer that the quality of roleplay does not hinge on the words in the chat, more so the meaning behind them. You can't expect a Briton and a central-European mixbreed to have the same vocabulary and literary capacity, after all. What you can expect, however, is that they have content behind their roleplay and not "flair".

I don't care much for the kind of wines drank during an RP event. It's not much relevant. I could roleplay wine, red wine, merlot wine, or a 296AC Loroise-sur-Bordolovais Chardonnay cuvée mixed with enhancement vintages. For 90% the roleplayers, teh first three mean the same while the latter is superfluous and irrelevant, drawing attention away from development, drama and narrative.

What would this "magic flair" contribute to roleplay?

When you are home, and it's contained in an environment that it's small. There's only so many people in a RP home. Why do we have all the fauna and flora in the lore, when no one mentions it? It is because it enhances for specific moments, for times where it is just nice to have the extra bit of info. It also leads to bigger things, like certain flora are used in potions in alchemy.

Not everything has to be complex, not everything has to be simple, but not everything has to be continuously used. It doesn't always need attention, such as the various flora, but it can be used either way, when we want to use it, or not.

new opportunities, as we have seen with the recent trustee system. more mages and silven have been made, allowing new opportunities and interactions for many different characters. magic isn't hindering them or the roleplay experience others have with them.

When you are home, and it's contained in an environment that it's small. There's only so many people in a RP home. Why do we have all the fauna and flora in the lore, when no one mentions it? It is because it enhances for specific moments, for times where it is just nice to have the extra bit of info. It also leads to bigger things, like certain flora are used in potions in alchemy.

Not everything has to be complex, not everything has to be simple, but not everything has to be continuously used. It doesn't always need attention, such as the various flora, but it can be used either way, when we want to use it, or not.

In private RP, I think anything goes. We had more erratic things than magic before. Like, playing the pool table or having messenger cats. There is no lore enforcement if all parties agree and it doesn't influence the greater world.

new opportunities, as we have seen with the recent trustee system. more mages and silven have been made, allowing new opportunities and interactions for many different characters. magic isn't hindering them or the roleplay experience others have with them.

But it can drive magic silly. As said, no issue with it in private. But I'd prefer my RP focused on development, character and narrative over frivolous additions and flair.

In private RP, I think anything goes.

Not everything goes. You're missing my point. This post is just suggesting something benign, small. It doesnt even need to be a caster to have this to work, a small item that emits the magic (blah blah, Obviously going into detail wont benefit this argument.) for small tasks that wont hinder the work of the magic rewrite or the Trustee system, or make the mages any less unique. It is just a thing to add to the environment. It's not supposed to be complicated.

But I'd prefer my RP focused on development, character and narrative over frivolous additions and flair.

And that, that is your own opinion. If it were to be something that is canon, you don't have to use it, you dont have to acknowledge it, if you dont want it. That's what you prefer. Others have a different opinion, and a different outlook to it. Some others would be ecstatic and find fun uses. If you dont want to, you dont have it. That's that.

I think the reason we IRP mention our weapons is because they are far harder to put on skins than armour and it's only fair that those roleplaying with us know that our characters are armed. That is completely unrelated to magic or character flair.
but if we mention our weapons, we are turning the rp to focus on the sword, rather than what the character is doing with it, or, that was your argument for not having anahera's levitate teapots because we focus on the teapot and not the whisper. attention to detail is a skill, and if one of your points is that: "a magical event makes us disregard other goings on", then i'm afraid that's just not true.

but if we mention our weapons, we are turning the rp to focus on the sword, rather than what the character is doing with it, or, that was your argument for not having anahera's levitate teapots because we focus on the teapot and not the whisper. attention to detail is a skill, and if one of your points is that: "a magical event makes us disregard other goings on", then i'm afraid that's just not true.

No. When I mention a sword in RP it's because I don't want to be seen a powergamer when I unsheathe it.

And that, that is your own opinion. If it were to be something that is canon, you don't have to use it, you dont have to acknowledge it, if you dont want it. That's what you prefer. Others have a different opinion, and a different outlook to it. Some others would be ecstatic and find fun uses. If you dont want to, you dont have it. That's that.

That is the point, though. What I stated. You can do it in private. Though it breaks immersion when it's done in public or overused and I'm sure I'm not alone preferring it away from my RP.

That is the point, though. What I stated. You can do it in private. Though it breaks immersion when it's done in public or overused and I'm sure I'm not alone preferring it away from my RP.

Or you can do it in public. I am sure it can be worked out. It being done in private is fine but, to limit it to only that is no fun, either. We cant just tell people to leave it behind closed doors. Not everyone feels like it would break immersion. You dont have to be around it, if you dont want to. Just because you dont like it, that doesnt mean you should negate it from everyone else who may say something different, or think of other uses for it.

Last edited:
Or you can do it in public. I am sure it can be worked out. It being done in private is fine but, to limit it to only that is no fun, either. We cant just tell people to leave it behind closed doors. Not everyone feels like it would break immersion. You dont have to be around it, if you dont want to. Just because you dont like it, that doesnt mean you should negate it from everyone else who may say something different, or think of other uses for it.

Parallel your logic with roleplaying races that aren't in the lore.

I claimed:

"That is the point, though. What I stated. You can roleplay a TES Argonian in private. Though it breaks immersion when it's done in public or overused and I'm sure I'm not alone preferring it away from my RP."

"Or you can roleplay a TES Argonian in public. I am sure it can be worked out. It being done in private is fine but, to limit it to only that is no fun, either. We cant just tell people to leave it behind closed doors. Not everyone feels like it would break immersion. You dont have to be around it, if you dont want to. Just because you dont like it, that doesnt mean you should negate it from everyone else who may say something different, or think of other uses for it."

See the flaw? It's basically prying the consistency of the server.

Now ask me, if this was made actual lore (aligned with immersion), and if the noble assembly passed a law against it, what would you say then?

just have audrey not know magic :)

It's not about knowing magic, it's about wanting to roleplay meaningful things and not people going Super Hero High School around my character.

I'm not here to undermine you, and I can't immediately give a better response can't I'm doing something else, but your logic isn't sound either. I'm responding as I see your response. Race is not the same as the magic, and putting it in a race context throws it off the point that I am trying to make. I am speaking in the point that, if this was canon, then that is the case that I've been saying this entire time. The magic is not going to hinder you, and like the OP says, it would be limited.

So, what you stated above doesn't even help whatever point you're trying to make. It's out of context at this point. This isn't about race. It's about minut and insignificant magic to spice up your roleplay environment.

I'm not here to undermine you, and I can't immediately give a better response can't I'm doing something else, but your logic isn't sound either. I'm responding as I see your response. Race is not the same as the magic, and putting it in a race context throws it off the point that I am trying to make. I am speaking in the point that, if this was canon, then that is the case that I've been saying this entire time. The magic is not going to hinder you, and like the OP says, it would be limited.

So, what you stated above doesn't even help whatever point you're trying to make. It's out of context at this point. This isn't about race. It's about minut and insignificant magic to spice up your roleplay environment.

The comparison shows that you are alright with people roleplaying however they want to roleplay, but only to a degree that you are comfortable with. Understand that floating pots and utensils around could intrude on the comfort of other people just as easily.

The comparison shows that you are alright with people roleplaying however they want to roleplay, but only to a degree that you are comfortable with. Understand that floating pots and utensils around could intrude on the comfort of other people just as easily.

The same could be said for you, but I won't cause it's rude. Im not here to argue. Think what you want. Im just stating my points, and trying to help the idea. Also, your statement is false about me. I don't think that, but apparently you know me

I think only the Estel Magic Worshiper thing should be implented. Magic shouldn't be an everyday thing. It should be an anomaly. And it takes the uniqueness out of it blah blah blah. But apart from what you've already heard, I think magic should be more of a cult like thing. Magic is really looked down upon, and I know that won't stop hardly anybody if it was day-to-day. Remember how many people visited the sewers daily? (I don't know how many actively visit the slums) Making small magic common would bring back the mage population even if it were small acts. If it were given to a looked down upon cult it would be like vampire caverns or groups or whatever they're called but for the other side of magic. Asking for small bits of day-to-day magic is like asking your parents if you can have this or that and you'll "Never do anything wrong again".
I just said I want magic to be an anomaly and then I said I wanted it to be added to the Estel Worshiping group. I meant I want mages and big acts of magic to be an anomaly. The other type is basically the Exist's version of Vampirism. Just wanted to clear that up.

It's not about knowing magic, it's about wanting to roleplay meaningful things and not people going Super Hero High School around my character.

The comparison shows that you are alright with people roleplaying however they want to roleplay, but only to a degree that you are comfortable with.

try to be consistent with your points, please.
people can roleplay whatever they want to, that's kiiiinda the idea. playing a role? yep. imagination? yep. fun? yep. sign me up.

It's basically prying the consistency of the server.

what consistency? lol.
the idea is we change things up because change is fun. massivecraft is notorious for changing a LOT.

@Channing_Tantrum magic was illegal for a very veeeery long time, but still utilised a lot. its called the slums.

You are evading the question, though. What stops the assembly from making it illegal, how likely do you think it is (considering the assembly/consulate reaction to the Ombres) and would you prevent an all-out ban?

You are evading the question, though. What stops the assembly from making it illegal, how likely do you think it is (considering the assembly/consulate reaction to the Ombres) and would you prevent an all-out ban?
what? my answer answers what would happen if it did become illegal: which, as i pointed out, would be likely, considering it was in the past.
you do not need to prevent a ban. murders are outlawed; they happen. stealing is outlawed; it happens. there's more than just noble rp to massive!

To try and come up with a solution to an idea that has yet to even be fleshed out, cause there's too much petty arguing of who's right and wrong, is hard. There would be a solution, and I have a few in mind to make this possibly work, but you are asking a sort of impossible question.

what? my answer answers what would happen if it did become illegal: which, as i pointed out, would be likely, considering it was in the past.
you do not need to prevent a ban. murders are outlawed; they happen. stealing is outlawed; it happens. there's more than just noble rp to massive!

So let's re-iterate.

You want something to be lore compliant that you can already do in private, which will probably be outlawed in public if it becomes lore compliant forcing you to only do it in private or suffer consequences that the guard has to deal with, with absolutely no bearing on narrative, drama or progression just to provide flair and fluff for roleplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.