Archived Elytra Wings Idea For Lore (and More 1.9 Item Lore Brainstorm Ideas, I Guess)

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Tra_kad

Massives biggest Adventurer and Conspiracy Maker
Reaction score
Faction
Ravensong, the derpiest RP one around.
Kingdom
The holy empire of Uhns land.
Roleplay Guilds
The order of flying cabooses
Hey guys, Tra_kad here.

So, 1.9. Big update coming up for Minecraft, based upon combat shenanigans. Of course with a server where many parts of the RP has some sort of conflict and the other half of the server is actually fighting Pvp style, there's many things that people should consider in both PvP terms and Lore terms. One of the major, more recent add ons to the snapshots has been the creation of the Elytra wings/glider: Basically a hang-glider for Minecraft. In the case that we actually get to be able to use these in Massivecraft somehow, I'd like to throw out some random role play suggestions that I thought of that could probably work with the current lore for the Elytra to exist in Aloria:
1. Some noble/Dwarf Invention: This is probably the most viable option since there could be some sort of random inventor charecter that decides 'screw it I wanna go flying' and make some wings. In this case I'd recommend that there'd be some sort of plugin to nerf it's flying span far more then it is, and make it reserved basically only to the inventor and other people in high places that can pay for a device like it.
2. Some artifact of the Tigrans/Seraph/Whatever other Ancient Race there is: Again, plugin to nerf the flight span and reserved to high ranking people like nobles. However with this case, it could help expand the Archaeology Lore evidently being written out by our lovely lore staff. Maybe you could even put it up as an decoration in a museum so more people can at least look at it.

I (as well as some friends) have also toyed with the concept that the Mekket races use them as actual wings. However I don't think the lore allows them to have wings and it'd be pretty hard with the current plugins to allow only Mekket playing RP'ers to have these. I'm personally just throwing some ideas at the wall to see what sticks with the public, and maybe - just maybe - we get to take to the skies of Aloria.

Keep in mind that I also think that the Elytra could come to an incredible, and most likely overpowered item for people in PvP, getting someone Elytra wings and flying them over a faction wall would be incredibly cool, but also presumably incredibly hard to fight back against, and most people could probably find this as cheating or something. Again, personally I think that there could be a plugin to shorten the flight span of the Elytra. How that could work, I'm personally not sure. In all frankness I'm pretty sure the Elytra won't be used at all in massive right now due to it's current only place of acquiring it is in the End, and of course we don't really have an End dimension in Massive right now. But I guess we will see what people decide to do with it...

Also, if there's any other item in 1.9 coming up that you think could be in Massivecraft and utilized in lore somehow that I don't know about, by all means go ahead and bring it up: I'd love to see more Minecraft items become utilized into the lore of Aloria. :3

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmm. Interesting idea... what if we had the equivalent to the DaVinci of lore (race unspecified) invent these and other cool stuff and have his journals be discovered. This should probably be a premium only item. Just my opinion.

Hmm. Interesting idea... what if we had the equivalent to the DaVinci of lore (race unspecified) invent these and other cool stuff and have his journals be discovered. This should probably be a premium only item. Just my opinion.
Can I ask how making it premium only would make it beneficial? Yes, it might make people want to get premium, which is a good thing for the server, but it would also do a few other things:
  • It would make PVP both much easier for premiums and much harder for non-premiums, widening the gap between premiums and non-premiums on the server.
  • It would cause an even larger decrease in non-premium PVPers who would think PVPing would be even more futile as premium PVPers would have even more advantages, making PVP very unfair and ultimately not fun for non-premiums. Non-premium PVPers may leave the server because of this.
  • New players joining the server who did not have access to premium would be less inclined to stay on the server due to the fact that most premium PVPers would have better stats, weapons, armour, buffs, traits and now elytra.
It's important to remember that there are two main communities on massivecraft. Making it premium only might not affect roleplay too much, (though it could cause a divide there two if they became lore compliant), but it would definitely widen a gap that is very present between premiums and non-premiums PVPers, causing a decrease in the server's player base.

Very good points and strong argument snip

It works as an incentive. It's sort of a superfluous item and not really essential to game play, but fun to have, so I don't think there's any harm in making it prem only. Good point on the PVP thing, though.