Archived Economic Discussion - Supply Side

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Reaction score
Requested by @ulumulu1510

I have maintained in all of my ideas that MassiveCraft staff should continue to approach the economy "hands off." This does not mean they can't make minor adjustments to systems already in place to help stabilize the economy. I personally believe oversight and regulation is needed to a degree, but free market capitalism should always reign superior. This does not mean though that rules and limitations should not be imposed that prevent corrupt and criminal behavior to occur, such as abuse of systems or consumers.

Today, I invite you to join with me as I analyze the supply side of the MassiveCraft economy. We'll touch on a few topics that I hope you find interesting, and after reading, I encourage you to add how you interpret the economy on MassiveCraft. Topics we'll touch on include:

· Supply & Demand of items on MassiveCraft.

· Why prices have steadily declined over the past 1-2 years?

· What I deem the most important issues in terms of supply facing the MassiveCraft economy.

· What can the staff do without meddling too much in the economy itself to fix these issues.

Let us begin…

Supply & Demand of items on MassiveCraft

Supply of an item is dependent on consumer preference, consumer expectation, complimentary and substitute goods, production technology, price of inputs, number of supplies, and government intervention. Let's break all these down to set a baseline of definitions for the rest of the thread.

1. Consumer preference: Consumers (the player base) are only going to buy what they want to. If building materials or armor is unneeded at the current point in time, those items will not be bought, or not at least at a high rate.

2. Consumer expectation: Expectation greatly determine supply. If a war is brewing that will involve multiple factions spanning multiple months, production of armor and weapons will increase to meet the supposed demand that will eventually exist.

3. Complimentary and substitute goods: Axes and swords compliment armor and potions. People usually produce or buy swords and axes when they produce or buy armor. These are complimentary goods. On the flip side, axes and sword are substitute goods to each other. Most people choose to use one or the other.

4. Production technology: If producing an item becomes easier, logic dictates more of the item will be produced. "See – fishing on MassiveCraft." Fishing allowed people to produce armor, weapons, and raw materials at half the time and half the effort mining for the items and crafting them took. Therefore, the supply increased drastically.

5. Price of inputs: If it becomes expensive to create something, less of that item will be made. Imagine if individual diamond prices rose from roughly 1 regal per diamond to 5 regals per diamond. Producing armor would become more expensive, thus decreasing the supply.

6. Number of suppliers: As more people produce and item, supply increases, and prices fall unless demand increases at the same rate. "See – lack of specialization on MassiveCraft."

7. Government intervention: If a government (staff) subsidized the production of armor (pay people money to create a specific item, ie armor), the supply would drastically increase. If a government taxed the production and selling of armor, supply would decrease.

Alright, so we set a baseline, now we can continue with the discussion…

On MassiveCraft, specialization does not exist. I, just like the next guy, can sit down and produce an item one day, a different item the next, and so on so forth for the rest of my time. It would be like if everyone in life was a car mechanic. No one would need a mechanic, because everyone is a mechanic. Some concept on MassiveCraft. If someone needs armor on MassiveCraft, they don't need to buy it from an armor seller, because with enough dedication and time spent, they themselves can make the armor they need. The direct nonexistence of specialization on MassiveCraft leads to an indirect and unintended unwarranted increase of supply.

Supply on MassiveCraft is also exorbitant due to fact that materials will never run out. MassiveRestore makes sure of this. Which is not a bad thing mind you, if it is counteracted with the correct measures; measures that currently do not exist on the server. An endless supply of materials was created, but a removal to those materials at a sufficient rate was never added. On MassiveCraft, the production of raw materials into usable items is much quicker than the destruction of those items occur, therefore increasing the supply at an alarmingly rate.

All right, so we know that the supply of materials increases at an alarmingly rate, but what about demand to balance it all out? Logic would dictate that when supply is high, demand is low, and vice versa. This has held true for the most part. The issue is that we've hit a level where supply is so high, and demand is so low, that nothing has occurred to restore the balance to a healthy medium. Citing drastic measures, MassiveCraft would probably need to become locked into every day warfare with multiple battles lasting for over a year to restore a healthy balance of supply and demand. I'm not talking petty skirmishes. I'm talking twenty factions duking it out against each other every single day, breaking multiple sets of armor, for an entire year, to burn off the supply of armor and weapons.

Why have prices steadily declined over the past 1-2 years?

Simply put, supply increased so high and demand dropped so low that a lack of demand caused people to cut prices just to sell their items. It all started with greed right after the fishing epidemic. Everyone was producing 10-12 sets of armor per day, some more, and they wanted to sell them. Prices started at around 2000 regals. People wanted to sell so they would undercut to 1900 regals. And then someone would undercut to 1800 regals. Then 1700. The cycle continued until the price hit a floor of roughly 400 regals per set. Building materials also got easier to acquire. MCMMO level advances yielded more and more drops. People set up facilities specifically to farm items, which ties back to production technology. The items got easier to produce, so more of them were produced, driving up supply and down demand. Things got easier to make, so people took advantage of that, and cashed in, thinking they would be able to make a quick buck. And the first people to do so did. After a period of time though, demand changed accordingly to the increase in supply, but supply did not change accordingly to the decrease in demand. This is where things went wrong. Logic did not hold true, because as much as the staff want MassiveCraft's economy to mirror the real world's, it can only mirror it so much.

What I deem the most important issues in terms of supply facing the MassiveCraft economy

· Lack of specialization: People do not specialize. Therefore, any can produce anything, and supply is artificially driven up.

· Harmful donation options: I am calling for the immediate removal of the donation options that inject armor and weapons into the economy that would otherwise have to be bought or produced. This does not include Cake4All or items that are strictly lore items.

· A look as MassiveRestore's ore replenishment algorithm, and how it can be made better, or more realistic.

· An inflated supply of items in the economy.

What can the staff do without meddling too much in the economy itself to fix these issues

The staff have the tools at their disposable to fix the issues present. What they need is guidance and input from the player base to tell them what they need to change.

The following are my ideas to begin stabilizing the economy on MassiveCraft.

First, begin a slow but steady decrease of all item supplies in the economy through a variety of means.

· Decrease armor and weapons but keeping /fix associated with a regal cost per percent. This is a good thing; as /fix should never be used as the first way to repair armor. Instead, encourage darkrooming by possibly increasing the amount of vanilla XP that is obtained from mob death.

· Decrease building supplies but removing the additional drops or decreasing additional drops that MCMMO adds, and by tweaking the MassiveRestore algorithm.

· Increase demand of armor by decreasing supply of armor. Do this by not compensating for reduced armor durability, but by instead looking at MCMMO armor damage values as they pertain to axes and swords.

MassiveRestore is a great plugin. Our worlds last forever now. But our resources last forever now. From what I understand, 100% of the ores a world was created with are restored, but I need @ulumulu1510 to confirm or deny that. If the above is true, here is my idea to decrease the supply without physical intervention by the staff.

Make MassiveRestore work with a tiered reduction system of ores each time a world is restored. Let's work off of the basis that world X is restored fully over a month. At the end of each month, if a total of 500,000 ores existed on the map X, 500,000 ores have been replaced, albeit it in slightly different locations. With my idea, the amount of ores will decrease by a predetermined amount every month for a predetermined amount of months. For example, let's say each month the amount of ores replaced decreased by 10%, over the course of four months, and then resets.

Month one – 100% of ores are restored. 500,000 ores restored total. This is the peak.

Month two – 90% of ores are restored. 450,000 ores restored total. This is in decline.

Month three – 80% of ores are restored. 400,000 ores restored total. This is still in decline.

Month four – 70% of ores are restored. 350,000 ores restored total. This is the lowest point.

Now the cycle resets, shooting back up from 70% of ores restored to 100%. Over the course of four months, 150,000 ores were removed from circulation, or 30%. Technically speaking, there are only three times out of an entire restoration year (what I define as the time it takes to move through three cycles of 100% to 70% restoration), which is each month the restoration rate is at 100%. There are three months every restoration cycle of each percentage of restoration. This adds strategy to buying, selling, and waging wars.

· People will buy in large during the 100% restoration month, and even in the 90% restoration month, and sell large in the 80% and 70% restoration month.

· People will buy more in the low restoration months, and sell more in the higher restoration months.

· People should avoid declaring wars in the low restoration months when it Is harder to obtain raw items, and wage war in the high restoration months. This will help to add seasons of war to MassiveCraft when it is optimal and when it is not to declare war.

The idea will not increase the amount of items in circulation, and since it is a tiered reduction system, it can only server to take items out of circulation, and decrease supply. Restoration rates will never go above the 100% they are already at.

These are my theories and explanations of how I see the MassiveCraft economy. I hope they have interested you, and given you something to think about.

4/10/2016 Economy mini Analysis

Alright. So the economy in the past weeks. Where to begin…

I'll touch the following topics.

· Gift4All – AKA the new donation options.

· How Gift4All effected the economy and its impacts.

· What I propose be done in regards to the economy's current status.

Gift4All

Gift4All is one of MassiveCraft's solutions to still earn income while being EULA compliant. You can read and explore the Gift4All donation options here. A quick summary is that you make a onetime payment and buy an item that is customized with your name and custom lore, and said item is then distributed to every player currently online at the time of purchase. The idea is good in concept, and it doesn't hurt the economy overall when it's things like Soup4All and Shovel4All. But when it's Sword4All or Helmet4All, god tier armor and weapons quickly enter the economy at roughly 200 items per donation, the prices of these items, which some people bet their livelihood on selling, are artificially driven down.

How Gift4All effected the economy and its impacts.

The recent severe decline in god tier weapons and armor can be directly tied back to the introduction of Gift4All. Some quick and rough numbers based on first hand reports:

· Price of a set of God Armor before Gift4All: 400 regals (maximum.)

o Price of a set of God Armor after Gift4All: 80 regals. (maximum.)

o Net percentage loss in value: -80%

· Price of a God Weapon before Gift4All: 200 regals. (maximum.)

o Price of a God Weapon after Gift4All: 20 regals (maximum.)

o Net percentage loss in value: -90%

As you can, with these liberal numbers, the value of God Armor and God weapons has decreased by 80% and 90% respectively. Now, this would be understandable if it was because of an increased supply caused by increases production of said items via players. We'd have no one to blame but ourselves. Instead, the price has been artificially driven down by an influx of these items via Gift4All, which is at its core, a game breaking feature. It removes the need to actually play the game to acquire items to use for PVP. It has destroyed the market for these items. There is no incentive to buy these items, if you can just sit around AFK for hours and hope for someone to donate. I could leave my account as well as my three alternate accounts AFK all day and acquire Gift4All donation items, which I would say constitutes AFK grinding, and is therefore illegal, although the lines may be blurred a bit here.

What I propose be done in regards to the economy's current status

I still maintain that we must address the supply side of these items in terms of player production. If we can't remove Gift4All without risking the financial stability of the server, then we should look into making changes in regards to player production of these items, and how we can better balance it

I'd also like to have a sit down talk between @Madus and @ulumulu1510 if they have the time, and discuss these ideas and length, to better figure out what they can and can't achieve coding wise, and to hopefully carry my ideas further along the chain.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like everything on here so much. Just one thing i want to comment on.
Harmful donation options: I am calling for the immediate removal of the donation options that inject armor and weapons into the economy that would otherwise have to be bought or produced. This does not include Cake4All or items that are strictly lore items.
I agree with this... to a degree. We need more items that people want to donate for. God armor/weapons are wanted.

i like your tiered restore thingy
but personaly i wouldn't stop at 70%
i'd stop at 50%
but i have no clue how much of a difference it could make XD

Thanks for tagging me. Rarely anyone make well formulated posts about this topic.
I agree with most of the analysis. But I believe there is many more things we could do to better the situation, than what you just proposed.

I would also like to point out that The Team is basically the government, but with much greater tools at our disposal. We can change crafting recipes, ore spawning and much much more. Unlike the real world, there is basically no debt and all money are created by the server/government. So money creation is a lot different than IRL (if you did not understand the last two sentences it is fine).

Now I'd like to see ideas for how we can increase demand and decrease supply. If we can do anything at all it is going to take time, due to the sheer amount of resources people already have. So adjusting this will be very difficult.

Regarding comparisons to the real life market. Some argue that the economy has sectors, and mining is in the first and is thus mostly a thing of the past, services such as skin making is in the third sector and is going really well. This sector theory is true to some degree, what it lacks is the notion of innovation. Innovation has made everyone IRL richer, and is usually created by the market. On MassiveCraft most innovation is created by the government. Mining became easier in 2014 because of traits, so the innovation was made by the government. This is one of the key differences MassiveCraft has, anything dealbreaking that changes the economy is made by the server and not by the market.

Thanks for tagging me. Rarely anyone make well formulated posts about this topic.
I agree with most of the analysis. But I believe there is many more things we could do to better the situation, than what you just proposed.

I would also like to point out that The Team is basically the government, but with much greater tools at our disposal. We can change crafting recipes, ore spawning and much much more. Unlike the real world, there is basically no debt and all money are created by the server/government. So money creation is a lot different than IRL (if you did not understand the last two sentences it is fine).

Now I'd like to see ideas for how we can increase demand and decrease supply. If we can do anything at all it is going to take time, due to the sheer amount of resources people already have. So adjusting this will be very difficult.

Regarding comparisons to the real life market. Some argue that the economy has sectors, and mining is in the first and is thus mostly a thing of the past, services such as skin making is in the third sector and is going really well. This sector theory is true to some degree, what it lacks is the notion of innovation. Innovation has made everyone IRL richer, and is usually created by the market. On MassiveCraft most innovation is created by the government. Mining became easier in 2014 because of traits, so the innovation was made by the government. This is one of the key differences MassiveCraft has, anything dealbreaking that changes the economy is made by the server and not by the market.
I enjoy writing policy and analyzing existing systems, especially on things that interest me. If someone asked me if I wanted to write a piece analyzing an 18th century author's use of figurative language in his/her poem, or if I wanted to write on the implementation and benefits of a single payer universal healthcare system, I'd take the latter.

I'm aware that The Staff function as the government on MassiveCraft. That's why I make the comparison between staff and government. I also understood what you were saying in the last two sentences, and believe that since no debt exist within the MassiveCraft economy, the staff as a whole have a greater opportunity to create the fundamental ideas that allow players to be innovative.

How do we decrease supply and increase demand?
We start by looking into what I mentioned above. We make sure that /fix always cost something so people will use it less, thus repairing armor less, thus a decreased supply in use, or an increase in grinding in the darkroom, which has many additional benefits to the server as a whole.

We then take a look at MassiveRestore's algorithm, and tweak it to not always restore 100% of the resources a map came with for a period of time defined by a cycle. This will decrease the supply of diamonds, therefore increasing the demand and hopefully the price. I am not looking to skyrocket the price of raw materials, but rather a small and gradual increase. We also continue decreasing supply by directly endorsing changes that will result in items being removed from the economy.

Do not change armor durability again. Leave it as is, and explore slightly reducing the values in MCMMO. Armor should break often. This will drive the price for raw materials up to repair the armor, and the price of armor slightly as more people demand to buy more instead of constantly repairing it.

Also look into allowing armor to be repaired on MCMMO anvils without losing the enchantments. This will be a direct drain of resources that I think a lot of people would be interested in rather than using the vanilla anvils or using /fix.

Also, what is the possibility of me being able to sit down with you and Ulu at your earliest convenience and talking through everything I have mentioned, you have mentioned, and anything that worries you?

MassiveRestore is a great plugin. Our worlds last forever now. But our resources last forever now. From what I understand, 100% of the ores a world was created with are restored, but I need @ulumulu1510 to confirm or deny that. If the above is true, here is my idea to decrease the supply without physical intervention by the staff.
From what I understand, we restore the ores to 100% of it's old state. We do so in an already configurable manner, so we can adjust which blocks spawn at which rate etc.

Do not change armor durability again. Leave it as is, and explore slightly reducing the values in MCMMO. Armor should break often. This will drive the price for raw materials up to repair the armor, and the price of armor slightly as more people demand to buy more instead of constantly repairing it.
If I remember correctly (and if it is still this way) there is arcane forging in MCMMO. At a certain level in repairing your enchantment level reduction hits zero and you can repair without risk. Understandably, this might have gotten forgotten because of the very easy /fix solution we had for a long time.

Generally, MCMMO was/is all about specialization. If you are high level in a skill, you are able to smelt faster/harvest more crops/ get double drops from ores. Truth is what you already mentioned; Many players are already at such a level that they receive those bonuses for many different skills.

Also, what is the possibility of me being able to sit down with you and Ulu at your earliest convenience and talking through everything I have mentioned, you have mentioned, and anything that worries you?
I'd have time this sunday, but we might aswell keep the discussion going in this thread so everyone else can also share their opinion on this topic.

· Harmful donation options: I am calling for the immediate removal of the donation options that inject armor and weapons into the economy that would otherwise have to be bought or produced. This does not include Cake4All or items that are strictly lore items.
I am definitively following you and what you want to say. I personally am of the believe that we have to find this balance between items that players want to buy for all people and not flooding the economy with items that could be bought somewhere in a shop.

The current appeal to the armor and weapons is that they can actually be used. We all will wear them, either in PVE or PVP. There is an actual use for those items, they are actually helpful in your "daily minecraft live" so to say. Cake isn't. While Cake for all is great and fun, it doesn't have the same appeal as armor or weapons. Lore items for instance are valuable because they are rare...if everyone has them, it's not as special anymore.

So please tell us: What items could be sold, that are valuable to the players, that they actually want to use and share with all of the server? It's hard to maintain that balance, but maybe you have a suggestion instead :).

From what I understand, we restore the ores to 100% of it's old state. We do so in an already configurable manner, so we can adjust which blocks spawn at which rate etc.
My idea /might/, and I say might because I don't know how configurable the plugin already is in regards to implementing my idea, have to have additional coding to create the system that also has a tiered restoration cycle. You say you can adjust blocks at a configurable rate, so maybe you can work off of that idea and just add in the cycle itself, and make it customized in terms of how many months it takes to go from 100% to say 70% and then back to 100%, and by how much it reduces each times.

If I remember correctly (and if it is still this way) there is arcane forging in MCMMO. At a certain level in repairing your enchantment level reduction hits zero and you can repair without risk. Understandably, this might have gotten forgotten because of the very easy /fix solution we had for a long time.

Generally, MCMMO was/is all about specialization. If you are high level in a skill, you are able to smelt faster/harvest more crops/ get double drops from ores. Truth is what you already mentioned; Many players are already at such a level that they receive those bonuses for many different skills.
See here. From what I understand, it default caps at a 60% chance to keep your enchantments. While this is better than 0% of course, I still believe that if we were able to change it to 100% chance of enchantment retention, players would use the MCMMO anvil at an increased rate, and drain materials out of the economy, reducing the supply.

I'd have time this sunday, but we might aswell keep the discussion going in this thread so everyone else can also share their opinion on this topic.
Agreed. I leave for vacation next Tuesday, so if you want to speak sometime before then, start a private conversation to arrange a time. Until then, we will keep it going here.

I am definitively following you and what you want to say. I personally am of the believe that we have to find this balance between items that players want to buy for all people and not flooding the economy with items that could be bought somewhere in a shop.

The current appeal to the armor and weapons is that they can actually be used. We all will wear them, either in PVE or PVP. There is an actual use for those items, they are actually helpful in your "daily minecraft live" so to say. Cake isn't. While Cake for all is great and fun, it doesn't have the same appeal as armor or weapons. Lore items for instance are valuable because they are rare...if everyone has them, it's not as special anymore.

So please tell us: What items could be sold, that are valuable to the players, that they actually want to use and share with all of the server? It's hard to maintain that balance, but maybe you have a suggestion instead :).
I understand where you're coming from, and I'm glad you understand where I come from too. While I agree the donation rewards have to be good enough to give incentive to donate, I feel like the current ones are over the top. I'm not sure if you saw this, but I'l link in something I wrote in another thread in a spoiler below to put the current donation items and how they effect the economy into perspective.
Let's do some math here.

At the time of writing this post, there are 211 players online.

Let's say someone decides to buy the following donation options –
  • Helmet4All - $9
  • Leggings4All - $9
  • Boots4All - $9
For $27 spent, a total of 16 diamonds worth of armor has been awarded to 211 different players, or a total of 3376 diamond has been inserted into the server's economy. With diamond prices averaging anywhere between 0.8 to 1 regal per diamond, you're looking at 2700 on the low end and 3376 on the high end of worth being inserted into the economy.

Now, that's just taking the price of the raw diamonds, and doesn't even count enchants.

Since I don't know the average price of enchants, let's just take the average price of a piece of god armor, sitting at roughly 150 regals.

Three pieces of armor, at 150 regals each, for a total of 450 regals worth of armor per player, for a grand total of 94,950 regals worth of armor given to 211 players.

This total amount could also be exponentially increased by either buying additional donations such as Axe4All or Sword4All, or donating when a larger amount of people is online.

In my honest opinion, while I see where the idea of implementation this has come from with recent EULA compliance, this will directly counteract the changes that were made to armor durability and the addition of a cost to /fix, which I believe are both good things. This is fishing x2, and is a direct counter to changes that were made that would have set the server down a good path.
As you can see, these donation items add an immense amount of worth into the economy. I use the word worth, because in all actuality, the money amount could be lower or higher than the amount I gave, it all depends on how people sell or use the items. Half of the items could never be sold and used for fighting, and just transfer hands between PVPERS repeatedly. Half of the item could go straight to the market and be sold.

If I had to suggest items along the lines of the ones currently being sold, that I would personally be okay with, I would suggest:
  • Normal pieces of diamond armor. People can choose to salvage it into diamonds, or use it as the base for god gear. It gives people a start, but doesn't give them the entire thing.
  • Normal swords and/or axes. Same thought process as above.
I admit, it's a hard problem to solve. I am very much against just giving everyone an item because someone donated, both because of the impact it has on the economy, and that it really doesn't make MassiveCraft very different from the hub servers that let players buy their way to the top. I know it gives it to everyone, but it still feels wrong to me. I prefer a more realistic, you earned it sense of play style, rather than it was just given to you. That's my thoughts on the donation items.

See here. From what I understand, it default caps at a 60% chance to keep your enchantments. While this is better than 0% of course, I still believe that if we were able to change it to 100% chance of enchantment retention, players would use the MCMMO anvil at an increased rate, and drain materials out of the economy, reducing the supply.
Since neither I nor you have data to back us up, I am going to assume that people are indeed using MCMMO anvils or will start using them again. The current situation is really appealing to the MCMMO way of repair. It will probably get an increase in interest by the community, even though we possibly could make MCMMO repairing even more usable/profitable/balanced.

As you pointed out, we might see an increase of people using it and I personally would like to wait for that to happen. IF we get more data, we also get more information of how people respond to loosing their enchantment levels.

My point of view is that having people loose enchants on items is probably still more appealing than using regals. Because as it was pointed out, using a regal for every % is usually not worth it. 60% chance to keep the enchant and 10% of downgrading is good ratio in my eyes.

Mid-Edit, I just had to do some research in the code of mcmmo and, firsty, found some fun stuff and secondly, now agree with you in some points. Downgrading should probably stay at the percentages they are, but keeping the enchants should be more than 60%, but not 100% either. There should still be risk involved, even if you are at the highest level of repair. As in real life, you are always able to make mistakes.

I admit, it's a hard problem to solve.[ .... ] I know it gives it to everyone, but it still feels wrong to me. I prefer a more realistic, you earned it sense of play style, rather than it was just given to you. That's my thoughts on the donation items.
It is mostly hard because we are pressed into making decisions to keep what we have and go on with what we love. Mojang has stated very clearly in the eula that IF you give something to players it HAS to be for everyone. And yes, I agree with you on the "you earned it" playstyle. I love old school rpgs where you have to fight your way through a really tough dungeon to get that great piece of loot.

But the problem isn't solved here. Normal diamond equipment, well .... I am not sure. Could we offer items that are indeed practical and usable in every day lives but not to be sold/made money from? I just thought about Elytras, but even those can be sold for a high price...

You need to find the perfect item… The one that is both useful so people donate for it (the top priority) but also doesn't ruin the game (secondary priority)

Since neither I nor you have data to back us up, I am going to assume that people are indeed using MCMMO anvils or will start using them again. The current situation is really appealing to the MCMMO way of repair. It will probably get an increase in interest by the community, even though we possibly could make MCMMO repairing even more usable/profitable/balanced.

As you pointed out, we might see an increase of people using it and I personally would like to wait for that to happen. IF we get more data, we also get more information of how people respond to loosing their enchantment levels.
From what I understand, and this is what I know to be true roughly 3-4 months ago, MCMMO repair was not a feasible option when it came to repairing god armor. It wasn't that PVPERS couldn't afford to lose their enchants in the literal sense of money, because they could. They couldn't afford the annoyance of possibly losing their enchants, and now having a piece of armor with Protection III and something like Unbreaking I. The risk/reward wasn't worth it.

Mid-Edit, I just had to do some research in the code of mcmmo and, firsty, found some fun stuff and secondly, now agree with you in some points. Downgrading should probably stay at the percentages they are, but keeping the enchants should be more than 60%, but not 100% either. There should still be risk involved, even if you are at the highest level of repair. As in real life, you are always able to make mistakes.
I strongly believe that if you increase the percent chance of retaining enchantments to say 90%-95% at highest level, people will use MCMMO repair much more than they already do, which if I had to guess, is next to none. The risk/reward simply isn't worth it at the moment. For all intents and purpose, it is a broken and unused feature that we could put back into use very easily.

It is mostly hard because we are pressed into making decisions to keep what we have and go on with what we love. Mojang has stated very clearly in the eula that IF you give something to players it HAS to be for everyone. And yes, I agree with you on the "you earned it" playstyle. I love old school rpgs where you have to fight your way through a really tough dungeon to get that great piece of loot.

But the problem isn't solved here. Normal diamond equipment, well .... I am not sure. Could we offer items that are indeed practical and usable in every day lives but not to be sold/made money from? I just thought about Elytras, but even those can be sold for a high price...
I would say it's okay to give items that can be sold eventually, it's just if you give everyone an item as common as a piece of god armor, you increase the supply drastically every time someone donates. These donations features directly counteract our attempts at reducing the supply of these items.

This really addresses the idea that perhaps we have out grown MCMMO. We have all thought it time and again as more and more people reach 1k+ in all of the areas. Perhaps we created this bubble upon the idea that MCMMO would be sustainable for 4 years when in reality it is hardly sustainable. It has required a lot of work on the staffs part to maintain its balance, and has caused more than its fair share of economic problems (Fishing, Duping, Armor dmg). It is funny really a server that makes these really nice core plugins has this gigantic pitfall because it chose and continues to choose a 3rd party plugin for a fairly essential part of the servers core.
McMMO levels are the only thing bringing some people back to the server. Plus lots of people, including myself, have spent HOURS darkrooming for those levels. We havent outgrown it in my opinion.

The economy doesn't really need to be fixed. What do people really need regals for anyway? I personally only spend my regals on my faction to pay its taxes which if I didn't own so much land with no members I could easily pay for it just by voting.

Regals are just kind of a luxury that cut time off the acquirement of things that literally anyone can make themselves. I don't see why we would make such a drastic move like removing mcmmo so people can have more regals. Sure there are other luxury items the server offers like rentable properties but stuff like that is completely controlled by staff so if they see nobody can afford them all they have to do is lower the price. Darkrooming and voting will always be a very viable option for making money so the economy will never completely die it will just change and that's fine.

All I'm saying is there is no reason to remove features a lot of us like to fix something that isn't really necessary to the server at all.

McMMO levels are theconservative ng bringing some people back to the server. Plus lots of people, including myself, have spent HOURS darkrooming for those levels. We havent outgrown it in my opinion.

You are preaching the sunk cost fallacy the hours of grinding have already been sunk and cannot be recovered thus you cannot use them to evaluate the opportunity cost of removing mcmmo and replacing it.

The economy doesn't really need to be fixed. What do people really need regals for anyway? I personally only spend my regals on my faction to pay its taxes which if I didn't own so much land with no members I could easily pay for it just by voting.

Regals are just kind of a luxury that cut time off the acquirement of things that literally anyone can make themselves. I don't see why we would make such a drastic move like removing mcmmo so people can have more regals. Sure there are other luxury items the server offers like rentable properties but stuff like that is completely controlled by staff so if they see nobody can afford them all they have to do is lower the price. Darkrooming and voting will always be a very viable option for making money so the economy will never completely die it will just change and that's fine.

All I'm saying is there is no reason to remove features a lot of us like to fix something that isn't really necessary to the server at all.

Yes now we get down to the value of a fiat currency. The regal has no intrinsic value it is purely a medium of transaction. This pertains to real life as well. The USD and most other currency are just fiat currency regulated by central banks.

I lean conservative on MassiveCraft and liberal in real life. Both are separate of each other. I'd prefer you not bring my real life views to MassiveCraft as they pertain to a real life and fictional economy, of which both are a different beast.

Actually, I'd prefer you remove your jab at my real life views all together. They offer nothing to the conversation.
Im not going to redact my statement. The fact that you believe in a conservative mini economy that you have participated in extensively, but continue to shill for a socialist irl economy only goes to show that you just have not participated enough in the real economy to fully grasp tbe free rider issue.

Im not going to redact my statement. The fact that you believe in a conservative mini economy that you have participated in extensively, but continue to shill for a socialist irl economy only goes to show that you just have not participated enough in the real economy to fully grasp tbe free rider issue.
god this is such an ignorant statement and this statement alone actually makes me not want to read the rest of what you wrote, or anything you will write. A virtual economy such as in Massive (with restoring resources and whatnot) is VASTLY different than an IRL economy. Thank you actually for showing us what @Alj23 said in both respects. It shows me that he understands economy and how it works and that its leagues different on Massive.

One little tidbit as a reminder:

Both faction players and role-players use Regals. For faction players, Regals aren't as big since it only goes to pay for upkeep and the occasional armor purchase.

Roleplayers use Regals to pay for the 300r+ rental upkeep for their houses, as well as for purchasing items to use in said RP. I haven't done the math, but there's definitely a distinct difference in who uses Regals more.

Just wanted to mention the other half of the server, since I feel this is starting to only involve the faction half, and there's a huge part of the community that also needs to be considered in the overall scheme of things.

Really? MassiveCraft has a vastly different economy than what exists in real life. First of all the state intervention on MassiveCraft is much much lower than in most OECD nations. No healthcare, no infrastructure, no social security, no education system, no military and ridiculously low taxes. So the market is not nearly as regulated as the least regulated economies in any OECD nation.
Not to mention all the other differences. Simply put, it is not comparable.

Really? MassiveCraft has a vastly different economy than what exists in real life. First of all the state intervention on MassiveCraft is much much lower than in most OECD nations. No healthcare, no infrastructure, no social security, no education system, no military and ridiculously low taxes. So the market is not nearly as regulated as the least regulated economies in any OECD nation.
Not to mention all the other differences. Simply put, it is not comparable.
Thats why i really do thank @Sarge_Peppers for showing us that @Alj23 has two seperate opinions on the two seperate economic worlds. It adds more way credibility to the OP by showing that he actually knows a thing or two about economics

This really addresses the idea that perhaps we have out grown MCMMO. We have all thought it time and again as more and more people reach 1k+ in all of the areas. Perhaps we created this bubble upon the idea that MCMMO would be sustainable for 4 years when in reality it is hardly sustainable. It has required a lot of work on the staffs part to maintain its balance, and has caused more than its fair share of economic problems (Fishing, Duping, Armor dmg). It is funny really a server that makes these really nice core plugins has this gigantic pitfall because it chose and continues to choose a 3rd party plugin for a fairly essential part of the servers core.
I am here assuming you have no idea what kind of an undertaking it is to code a replacement for MCMMO.

Yes, in essence it would be best if MassiveCraft would not have any third party plugins what so ever! BUT: How would you do that? A plugin is a tremendous amount of work, countless of hours planning, looking for competitors, coding, testing and coding again. We are not speaking of weeks of work, but multiple months of work per plugin per developer. Take MassiveLock as an example: It's feature set is overseeable and covers what the server needs. It took three developers 4.5 Months of work (only focusing on this single plugin) to finish it and publish it live to the players. And we are not done yet! That is multiple hundertst of hours of work, for a plugin that is a "core" feature of the server.

Let's take a step back and think about an MCMMO replacement:
  • Planning: 20 - 50 hours
  • First step layout in development: 50 - 150 hours
  • Core functionalities: 100 - 200 hours
  • Testing and adjustments: 50 - 150 hours
  • Staff testing and another round of bug fixes: 50 hours
  • Release and public testing: up to 100 hours
That being said, this is a very rough, low end estimation. This means, it can only go higher from that. Summed up, we get 700 hours of active development. For three people working on it, two of them as their hobby next to school/uni, it is quite a lot you are asking for here.

I am not saying we aren't aware, we are. But this is not the time to talk about replacing a plugin as time intense as mcmmo.

I am here assuming you have no idea what kind of an undertaking it is to code a replacement for MCMMO.

Yes, in essence it would be best if MassiveCraft would not have any third party plugins what so ever! BUT: How would you do that? A plugin is a tremendous amount of work, countless of hours planning, looking for competitors, coding, testing and coding again. We are not speaking of weeks of work, but multiple months of work per plugin per developer. Take MassiveLock as an example: It's feature set is overseeable and covers what the server needs. It took three developers 4.5 Months of work (only focusing on this single plugin) to finish it and publish it live to the players. And we are not done yet! That is multiple hundertst of hours of work, for a plugin that is a "core" feature of the server.

Let's take a step back and think about an MCMMO replacement:
  • Planning: 20 - 50 hours
  • First step layout in development: 50 - 150 hours
  • Core functionalities: 100 - 200 hours
  • Testing and adjustments: 50 - 150 hours
  • Staff testing and another round of bug fixes: 50 hours
  • Release and public testing: up to 100 hours
That being said, this is a very rough, low end estimation. This means, it can only go higher from that. Summed up, we get 700 hours of active development. For three people working on it, two of them as their hobby next to school/uni, it is quite a lot you are asking for here.

I am not saying we aren't aware, we are. But this is not the time to talk about replacing a plugin as time intense as mcmmo.

I completely understood the length of time it would take for a skill plugin to be made. I have been managing engineer projects for about 5 years now. I understand the exactly what you are saying. My post was targeting the fact that this mcmmo bubble did not appear out of no where. For the past 3 years we have seen this trend of McMMo becoming less and less effecient as more and more people grinded this dates back to the first pvprs with 2k axes, and fishing. This isn't new, and a myriad of suggestions have been posted overtime to do something about it, and a lot of them had to do with removal and or mass overhaul.

It is easy though to look at this problem in retrospect. Hindsight is 20/20. This is probally the first time I looked at this issue with the sunk cost fallacy in mind.

We could in theory reset it, but because of the growth of technology that has come about. It wouldn't take much time for people to be back at their stat levels and the whole trend would just start over again

It really is just a giant mess that one has to step back from to really get a grasp of how it effects the economy.

We could in theory reset it, but because of the growth of technology that has come about. It wouldn't take much time for people to be back at their stat levels and the whole trend would just start over again
sure, it is easy enough to grind axes and stuff, but there are some skill trees that take weeks or months of grinding to get to 1000 (Alchemy, taming, etc...). I've said this on previous posts but honestly, if mcmmo is reset most of the people that have gotten to those high levels in the more obscure trees will just not bother to do so again.

sure, it is easy enough to grind axes and stuff, but there are some skill trees that take weeks or months of grinding to get to 1000 (Alchemy, taming, etc...). I've said this on previous posts but honestly, if mcmmo is reset most of the people that have gotten to those high levels in the more obscure trees will just not bother to do so again.

Define obscure tree? Alchemy has a lot of economic upside to grinding. As stated in my original post.

I guess obscure would be the trees that aren't really as popular as the others in daily situations, like taming and fishing.

I don't think Alchemy counts, despite a long level up. It's still very viable and useful

Taming, for instance

Now that i am at home rather than work I can now more thoroughly answer you. You seem to think that there is an issue with people not regrinding these skills after a reset. There are three reasons people grind their stats:

The first reason people grind their stats is for the economic value. People want high Axes, so they can raid better, get more loot, and tribute, or people used to fish, so they could fish up all these neat things to sell.

The second reason people grind their stats is almost a sub reason of economic value, and that is incidental grinding. For example, my business used to have many specialties. We used to dig darkrooms, and terraform land. Through these actions we would gain Mining, and Excavation levels. Another example would be someone who grinds in a darkroom all day, for the regals, xp and loot. They don't necessarily want the PvP stats, but they are getting the stats anyways because of the nature of their work.

The last reason people grind their stats is for the cosmetic value. For example I grinded 1500 unarmed because I wanted to pass the original master fister Jett56, or some people just like the feeling of being on /mctop. They don't necessarily do it for the economic value, or even because it is incidental. They just "achievement whore" it is a common occurrence in MMOs.

If we look at what would happen Day 1 of McMMo reset we would see people immediately grinding stats that they believe are economically valuable. One would see a spike in PvP stats because of the shear amount of PvPrs the reset would effect, but we would also see a steady increase of other skills. People grinding herbalism for the replant buff, and Alchemy because the Resistance pot market will now have a finite supply until people begin reaching the level to make res pots. People would also be gaining skills incidentally in like mining and excavation because of the nature of their work.

The question is what kind of effect does an McMMo reset really have on the population? I think little as I said above. The technology is already there, and the economy is already saturated with grinding supplies. Rarely does anyone buy darkrooms even to a point where some volunteers have begun managing public darkrooms, and because of beacons. I doubt anyone would be in the market of buying bulk strength pots. The only upside to an McMMo reset would be people buying McMMo XP boosters, but in theory many non Bayesian people might get rid of their premium because they are upset with the reset. This of course is an effect of people giving in to the sunk cost falacy rather than ignoring their sunk costs they will get upset. This is quite common, and is difficult for less mature people to understand.

This issue cannot be resolved by just a reset of McMMo that would only be a short term potential remedy, but also potential recker. I personally think a full server reset would be more effective than just a McMMo reset.

The one thing that I know for certain is that if economists on the server continue to pedal their feet, and make a few posts, but then go dormant. Then the big ideas that are needed to really fix the economy will not come until it is too late. Just look at the McMMo bubble this issue needed to be resolved 3 years ago, but unfortunately at that time we did not see the bubble. Hindsight is 20/20 the best thing we can do is work on well thought out ideas for the future.

This issue cannot be resolved by just a reset of McMMo that would only be a short term potential remedy, but also potential recker. I personally think a full server reset would be more effective than just a McMMo reset.
You have to remember that this isn't a server based only off economic theory, this is a MINECRAFT server where people go on to have fun. Now I haven't been playing on here for too long, so it wouldn't effect me as much as others, but think about the factions that have been around for years. Now imagine how they would feel if suddenly all of the work that they have been doing on their base for the last x amount of years suddenly vanishes just to allow the economy to improve a little bit. I don't know about you, but there is nothing that would keep me playing on a server that did that if I invested that much time into it. Now I may be misinterpreting what you mean by that, but this mindset has been bothering me lately.
This is a Minecraft server, and ultimately it has to be fun to play on. If you fix the economy at the expense of this, then there is nothing keeping the players from leaving.

I took a day away from responding to this thread, because some people decided to antagonize me with the views I hold in real life on what presidential candidate I support, and even went as far as to go off site to Reddit and quote me back here, and the views I hold on the MassiveCraft economy. Both are beast of a different nature, and it would be foolish to apply my real life views to a fictional economy.

With that being said, I'll jump back into offering my responses.

I don't want to remove any features at all. People have brought up the possibility that we have outgrown MCMMO. I think that's silly. I think the only changes we need to make to MCMMO are slight configuration changes that in the end would add new features and options to be explored, such as making MCMMO repair enchantment keep 100% rather than 60%, so you would have an alternative to repairing your armor that isn't /fix or vanilla anvils.

I believe the stability of the MassiveCraft economy is just as important as the stability of the PVP community or the RP community. For some people, it us a game style they enjoy. If MassiveCraft wants to stay true to its values, a near authentic medieval MMORPG server, then it needs to have a functioning economy. Which it currently has. I believe a few small changes could make it better for all players.

One little tidbit as a reminder:

Both faction players and role-players use Regals. For faction players, Regals aren't as big since it only goes to pay for upkeep and the occasional armor purchase.

Roleplayers use Regals to pay for the 300r+ rental upkeep for their houses, as well as for purchasing items to use in said RP. I haven't done the math, but there's definitely a distinct difference in who uses Regals more.

Just wanted to mention the other half of the server, since I feel this is starting to only involve the faction half, and there's a huge part of the community that also needs to be considered in the overall scheme of things.
I am holding all communities in mind when making my analysis. You'll see me talking a lot about armor and raw materials in my responses, because to be honest, I haven't been involved in the role-play aspect of the server that much, and how the economy affects them.

My intentions are not to remove regals from the economy. I don't believe that is the correct way to go. If we were to remove regals from the economy, people would have less to spend, and we would see all sectors of the economy take a hit. My goals are to make small changes that will hopefully over time increase prices gradually and to a reasonable level across the board for materials and goods, but I also intend to accompany this with changes and ideas that make regals easier to get in a sense. If I were to only implement half of either side of the equation, it would really screw things up.

OK I have a comment about the economy.The problem is the free market,I can waltz into this /tp market and buy whatever I want,I know it's for convenience,but a merchant fac can't win a war against a bunch of pvpers because they can't economically strangle them and stop selling god,and pay others off to stop making god.Or at the market we could let merchants tell ikt they won't sell to certain players or factions

OK I have a comment about the economy.The problem is the free market,I can waltz into this /tp market and buy whatever I want,I know it's for convenience,but a merchant fac can't win a war against a bunch of pvpers because they can't economically strangle them and stop selling god,and pay others off to stop making god.Or at the market we could let merchants tell ikt they won't sell to certain players or factions
This is a cool idea.

Eventually all shops in the market will be MassiveLock shops. With this being MassiveCraft's plugin, we can suggest custom features. Maybe a blacklist that would prevent people who you put in from buying from that shop. Would be very cool and allow entire factions to economically sanction people at their market shops.

I'm bumping this thread because there was some good discussion that died down, and I'd like to hear some more from players and staff alike. I'll be writing a mini analysis based off of what I have seen change with the economy in the past few weeks. It will be posted as its own comment and tacked onto the original thread.

4/10/2016 Economy mini Analysis

Alright. So the economy in the past weeks. Where to begin…

I'll touch the following topics.

· Gift4All – AKA the new donation options.

· How Gift4All effected the economy and its impacts.

· What I propose be done in regards to the economy's current status.

Gift4All

Gift4All is one of MassiveCraft's solutions to still earn income while being EULA compliant. You can read and explore the Gift4All donation options here. A quick summary is that you make a onetime payment and buy an item that is customized with your name and custom lore, and said item is then distributed to every player currently online at the time of purchase. The idea is good in concept, and it doesn't hurt the economy overall when it's things like Soup4All and Shovel4All. But when it's Sword4All or Helmet4All, god tier armor and weapons quickly enter the economy at roughly 200 items per donation, the prices of these items, which some people bet their livelihood on selling, are artificially driven down.

How Gift4All effected the economy and its impacts.

The recent severe decline in god tier weapons and armor can be directly tied back to the introduction of Gift4All. Some quick and rough numbers based on first hand reports:

· Price of a set of God Armor before Gift4All: 400 regals (maximum.)

o Price of a set of God Armor after Gift4All: 80 regals. (maximum.)

o Net percentage loss in value: -80%

· Price of a God Weapon before Gift4All: 200 regals. (maximum.)

o Price of a God Weapon after Gift4All: 20 regals (maximum.)

o Net percentage loss in value: -90%

As you can, with these liberal numbers, the value of God Armor and God weapons has decreased by 80% and 90% respectively. Now, this would be understandable if it was because of an increased supply caused by increases production of said items via players. We'd have no one to blame but ourselves. Instead, the price has been artificially driven down by an influx of these items via Gift4All, which is at its core, a game breaking feature. It removes the need to actually play the game to acquire items to use for PVP. It has destroyed the market for these items. There is no incentive to buy these items, if you can just sit around AFK for hours and hope for someone to donate. I could leave my account as well as my three alternate accounts AFK all day and acquire Gift4All donation items, which I would say constitutes AFK grinding, and is therefore illegal, although the lines may be blurred a bit here.

What I propose be done in regards to the economy's current status

I still maintain that we must address the supply side of these items in terms of player production. If we can't remove Gift4All without risking the financial stability of the server, then we should look into making changes in regards to player production of these items, and how we can better balance it