Archived Development Of A Belief Plugin

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

jjarlhem

Refugee
Reaction score
Faction
Perfectia
Hello there,

Yes I know that this part some might say that you can just role-play beliefs and such, but what I'm suggesting is for the Massive developers to add their own belief plugin. MassiveBeliefs

This is how it will work:
Anyone can create a belief by building an altar. (The altar will be discussed on how it will look like)
The more people that believe in that belief the stronger that god gets. Temples would be built containing altars inside which will protected by the holy lands of that god. (with a 2 radius to start with) The more people believe in that god the more holy land the god will get. (Using a formula such as [amount of believers] x 0.2 x 10.

Features:
  • Create altars to start a belief
  • Get people to believe and pray to a god to get more followers
  • When in need the god will send blessings such as food when you're starving or health when you are almost dying or EXP or anything in need depending on how strong the god is
  • Holyland surrounds the altar of the god where a temple could be built
  • Sacrifices could be made to the god
  • Curses could be given to other people with a god
  • You could be teleported to the temple by throwing holy water on the ground where you are standing [Splash bottle with holy water]
If you would like to add features feel free to post em

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
On the roleplay end of things, in-game mechanics beyond what we already have are not really needed for roleplay and religions are largely (Hael..) set in stone. Teleportation, curses, and any other abilities are considered magical and are against most of Aloria's lore compliant faiths. Even for the religions where this is not applicable and magic is glorified, you still have to deal with the fact that this potentially makes every single player character into a mage, in a world where mages should be rare to the point where only 20 or so role-players will be allowed to play them at any time.

If you mean for factions/survival, then I honesty don't get an opinion, as I do neither of those things.

On the roleplay end of things, in-game mechanics beyond what we already have are not really needed for roleplay and religions are largely (Hael..) set in stone. Teleportation, curses, and any other abilities are considered magical and are against most of Aloria's lore compliant faiths. Even for the religions where this is not applicable and magic is glorified, you still have to deal with the fact that this potentially makes every single player character into a mage, in a world where mages should be rare to the point where only 20 or so role-players will be allowed to play them at any time.

If you mean for factions/survival, then I honesty don't get an opinion, as I do neither of those things.

Alrighty forget the transportation and magic stuff then. Just the ability to add altars and create a belief where you can pray. When praying theres a chance to get exp or regeneration or maybe restore some hunger. Pray by putting a torch nearby the altar and after a day the torch will be gone.

While I'm not a big faction player this seems cool enough in my eyes. Unsure of it actually coding, mind you, but it looks neat. For the pvpers this could be used as another Casus Beli to declare war on a faction, a sort of holy war where in the surrender terms the opposing faction has to adopt the others diety.

He means factions and survival as far as I know.

Hello there,

Yes I know that this part some might say that you can just role-play beliefs and such, but what I'm suggesting is for the Massive developers to add their own belief plugin. MassiveBeliefs

This is how it will work:
Anyone can create a belief by building an altar. (The altar will be discussed on how it will look like)
The more people that believe in that belief the stronger that god gets. Temples would be built containing altars inside which will protected by the holy lands of that god. (with a 2 radius to start with) The more people believe in that god the more holy land the god will get. (Using a formula such as [amount of believers] x 0.2 x 10.

Features:
  • Create altars to start a belief
  • Get people to believe and pray to a god to get more followers
  • When in need the god will send blessings such as food when you're starving or health when you are almost dying or EXP or anything in need depending on how strong the god is
  • Holyland surrounds the altar of the god where a temple could be built
  • Sacrifices could be made to the god
  • Curses could be given to other people with a god
  • You could be teleported to the temple by throwing holy water on the ground where you are standing [Splash bottle with holy water]
If you would like to add features feel free to post em
Heheh.. yeah.. we spoke about this yesterday IG. I don't really see why the staff would need to create a new plugin, when on other servers they have the plugin complete. This plugin for those who don't know is an addon to factions that isn't really needed, but would be interesting and something fun a few people might use. So I don't think it should be added if the staff are looking for plugins that a high percentage of the playerbase would use actively, because when I was playing on a server that did have this plugin (even though it was a very long time ago) it was a little annoying how they would all ask for sacrifices at the same time which I don't think allot of people would favor because they could likely ask for this while you are roleplaying. It could also mess with the enemy/ally system because it has one of it's own. So while it would go well for a factions/god based server, with all of the other stuff on Massive already here, it would only interfere. Rhyme not intended.

Now I'm not sure if I should give the link to the pluggin quite yet because it does advertise another server, but that doesn't mean I will/won't. For now I am going to wait until I'm sure of what to do.

I don't know if this would be worth the tech work needed to implement, but I think it's a pretty fun and immersive idea.

One suggestion would be to have it work like a combination of Factions and MassiveLock.
Much like building a CreativeGate portal or Light/Dark altar, Players must build an altar and then create a belief/religion. They can set a name, description, ranks, etc. They can recruit others into their religion, like adding members to a lock or faction, who can then build more altars or recruit more people. The more people recruited, and the more active they are (determined by praying at the altars or sacrifices or whatever), the more power and benefits they get.

Basically somewhat like Factions except followers can be from any faction, there are benefits as you grow, and it's less land/claim oriented and more gameplay oriented. Somewhat like a team/party plugin too, I guess.

I don't know if this would be worth the tech work needed to implement, but I think it's a pretty fun and immersive idea.

One suggestion would be to have it work like a combination of Factions and MassiveLock.
Much like building a CreativeGate portal or Light/Dark altar, Players must build an altar and then create a belief/religion. They can set a name, description, ranks, etc. They can recruit others into their religion, like adding members to a lock or faction, who can then build more altars or recruit more people. The more people recruited, and the more active they are (determined by praying at the altars or sacrifices or whatever), the more power and benefits they get.

Basically somewhat like Factions except followers can be from any faction, there are benefits as you grow, and it's less land/claim oriented and more gameplay oriented. Somewhat like a team/party plugin too, I guess.
That's pretty much the same thing, but you added ranks.

I wouldn't say its much like factions. My idea is much simpler. One person starts a belief/religion by building an altar then people that wants to join that belief needs to go pray at the altar and thats it they're a follower of that belief. No need for ranks and such. Maybe the god of that religion will choose a priest for the religion depending on who prays the most. (1 priest per 5 followers) The priests are the only ones able to build altars of existing religions. I want to keep the commands to a minimum as possible.

Maybe a bible which will be a dynamic book telling the followers/believers where each altar is located and who are the priests of the belief.
Or
A bible that can be written only by the priests and the followers could get the bible by left clicking on the altar or something.

I wouldn't say its much like factions. My idea is much simpler. One person starts a belief/religion by building an altar then people that wants to join that belief needs to go pray at the altar and thats it they're a follower of that belief. No need for ranks and such. Maybe the god of that religion will choose a priest for the religion depending on who prays the most. (1 priest per 5 followers) The priests are the only ones able to build altars of existing religions. I want to keep the commands to a minimum as possible.

Maybe a bible which will be a dynamic book telling the followers/believers where each altar is located and who are the priests of the belief.
Or
A bible that can be written only by the priests and the followers could get the bible by left clicking on the altar or something.
Even if it was added i think it would be better if the original pluggin was used.

I'm not a Factions player sadly, but I can chuck a few things in here. Firstly it might be a good idea to have the role of Alters of Light be replaced by this system. It both gives the plugin more functionality and avoids confusion. Secondly you could probably recycle the multiblock structure code from the Vampire plugin to work with this, that might save tech staff some time. Finally the information about the alter needs to be stored somewhere. Probably on a sign with the religion's name that then contacts the religions database to get it's information.

Actually now that I've played it again, I think it might be able to fit into Massive.
Secondly you could probably recycle the multiblock structure code from the Vampire plugin to work with this, that might save tech staff some time. Finally the information about the alter needs to be stored somewhere. Probably on a sign with the religion's name that then contacts the religions database to get it's information.
1. You don't need to work with this at all. They could just be two different plugins and everything would be fine.
2. /g info (Godname)

The problem I guess with this would be that MassiveCraft tends to use it's own plugins like MassiveMagic, or MassiveLock.

It's a good idea, but consider this, every fledgling prophet will be setting up 23 altars at their f home for their god with 2 followers who are inactive. We should put a cap on it, and more importantly, have us as players decide on 5 people to create religions. That way, unless some other religion is really charismatic for some reason, they'll be absorbed into the fabric of one of those 5 big religions or just would die out. As a religion's first altar builder, you would be the Pope and have the power to select Bishops and Archbishops from other factions, who would be Bishop of {insert faction name}. With those positions, you would be tasked with inducting new members into the religion. This would be really beneficial for new players because as a prophet of the God of charity, you would come around with diamonds. As a proponent of the God of Fire, perhaps named diamond armor. The point being that we should have 5 Popes who are the proponents of 5 major religions, and would be expected to donate to the public and induct new members.

It's a good idea, but consider this, every fledgling prophet will be setting up 23 altars at their f home for their god with 2 followers who are inactive. We should put a cap on it, and more importantly, have us as players decide on 5 people to create religions. That way, unless some other religion is really charismatic for some reason, they'll be absorbed into the fabric of one of those 5 big religions or just would die out. As a religion's first altar builder, you would be the Pope and have the power to select Bishops and Archbishops from other factions, who would be Bishop of {insert faction name}. With those positions, you would be tasked with inducting new members into the religion. This would be really beneficial for new players because as a prophet of the God of charity, you would come around with diamonds. As a proponent of the God of Fire, perhaps named diamond armor. The point being that we should have 5 Popes who are the proponents of 5 major religions, and would be expected to donate to the public and induct new members.
1. Why would they donate to the public? This system literally has nothing to do with charity. Also do players really need those extra items?
2. There are ways to enable/disable things like prophets, or maybe even creating altars.
3. Why five religions? There shouldn't really be leaders of the entire plugin either.
4. Naturally there are going to be allot of religions, there would be no reason to put a cap on it. You can choose to believe or not to believe in a god but lots of gods is just a part of the plugin.
P.S. I'd personally have priests enabled

It's a good idea, but consider this, every fledgling prophet will be setting up 23 altars at their f home for their god with 2 followers who are inactive. We should put a cap on it, and more importantly, have us as players decide on 5 people to create religions. That way, unless some other religion is really charismatic for some reason, they'll be absorbed into the fabric of one of those 5 big religions or just would die out.

The benefits for this suggestion would be based on number of followers rather than number of altars. As such, any boosts or buffs would only go to religions with large amounts of followers.

The benefits for this suggestion would be based on number of followers rather than number of altars. As such, any boosts or buffs would only go to religions with large amounts of followers.
EX: Estel would likely have allot more power than maybe a god called Herobrine because they have more followers. But it's not just the number of followers. It's also what they decide to do. Praying is a good way to make your god stronger. (Right click the altar)