Rejected Darkroom World?

Discussion in 'Factions' started by MDJTHEHERO, Dec 8, 2018.

?

Should they add a world solely for the purpose of darkrooms/mob spawns to fix lag

1. Yes

55.0%
  2. No

35.0%
  3. I have another idea

10.0%
  1. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

As i understand it mobs effect TPS heavily, so once sharding arrives, what about turning off hostile mob spawns in the actual factions world and make a world just for darkrooming, wouldnt that help the lag in the actual world and who cares what world their darkroom is in anyways?

If you vote another idea on the poll you should probably post it here

• Agree Agree x 1
    #1 MDJTHEHERO, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. hardname12

hardname12 1v7 no potz

Basically what MDJ is trying to say they add a separate world that is a giant darkroom that is like 1500x1500 or something like that. And remove all the mobs from factions world to reduce lag. Inside of the darkroom you would be able to claims chunks for 100r so regals become more useful now and on top of that you could build walls around your chunks to create your own personal darkrooms so you could still be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FubeTheMangler

FubeTheMangler Founder of Raptum

Just goto regalia and roleplay.

4. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

That would actually increase lag as far as I know- It makes little difference WHERE the mobs spawn, and having a separate world would likely increase lag, not reduce it.

5. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

wouldnt it just make the darkroom world laggier but the actual factions server less laggy? as i remember it each different world had its own TPS

6. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

Once sharding is done perhaps, but even then I'm not entirely sure since it was usually the case on old Massive that every world lagged at once, not just one.

7. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

:P

If we're able to afford two separate servers it might be worth having one dedicated to pvp events/darkrooming, and buff the hell out of mob spawn rates in a darkroom world whenever there's no pvp events going on, and just turning the world to peaceful whenever an event is happening. That way we can have 0 mobs in Essalonia, as well as a 100% lag free world for pvp events where lag is very important.

8. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

Yes but there was still a significant difference in the TPS in each different server? thats why all the pvp used to happen in ithania for example, seems like a nobrainer to me, mobs = lag = move mobs onto another server = remove lag

9. CS_Birb

CS_Birb Massive's Resident Sysadmin Staff Member Tech3

I've got a number of thoughts surrounding this proposal, but let's take it from the top...

Speaking from a Tech capacity, the only way this could possibly be beneficial in terms of Lag and server resources is with Sharding.
    However, Sharding isn't just some Magic wand. It allows for better utilisation and spread of resources, but there are still limits. With what is being proposed, it's questionable to what degree this would improve things. It's a balancing act.

From a purely gameplay point of view I have qualms about moving all the mobs to one world. Feels as though it's practically ripping the survival from out survival worlds. I'm well aware of the issues with Mob spawns atm, and it's something we're tackling, but I'm not quite convinced that this is the way to go about it.

P.s. Thanks to @Huinkoch for throwing this thread my way.

10. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

How many players exactly play the classic single player aspect of survival on massive? everybody sits inside their base and when they leave they have more than enough gear to handle mobs outside, back in 2012 mobs outside would perhaps be a survival aspect, but not when you have god gear, speed2 trait, etc.
    I dont think anyone will be pissed that theres no mob "survival" aspect anymore.

11. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

I mean most people literally have mob spawns off in their bases lol

12. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

I think the current model of darkrooms on MassiveCraft is sufficient, taking into account the technical capabilities. A large world purely for darkrooms is cool but to be honest, removing mobs from survival will kind of kill some survival aspects in Essalonia. I think it would be better to just keep growing the server, expanding it with new survival worlds and relaxing darkroom rules (which are pretty strict).

13. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

Dude do you actually play factions yourself? there is no surviving mobs aspect anymore, back in 2012 there was, but everyone is too strong to even give one fuck about mobs

14. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

I played factions actively from October 2017 to October 2018, was a member of staff during that time. I haven't played in recent weeks because I've been busy.

The removal of mobs just feels like it will remove depth from Essalonia and I prefer having a darkroom in the world, personal preference, sorry if you disagree.

15. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

Oh i totally accept that you dont agree with me, part of life and democracy :)