Pending Review Chat Highlight On Name Detection

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Luxus07, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Luxus07

Luxus07 Draconic Mercenary

From a discussion in discord banter:

Another RP platform features wider modding / addon capability and a specific RP aide that contains a nifty feature I think might be easy to code into minecraft.

Basically, whenever a message contains the name (Nick) of a character, the message is highlighted in chat with a dedicated color, a ping/notification is sent to the player & the player's name within the chat message is displayed with a different color.

Unsure if the ping can work - referring to windows notification that flashes the minecraft icon if alt-tabbed.

Trying to do a showcase here:

Normal emote:

Character inclines her head for a nod and then says. "There is a lot to do in Regalia, and I am sure you will eventually find a job that suits you well. If you are ever interested in house guard work, do find me."

Highlight emote:

Character inclines her head for a nod and then says. "There is a lot to do in Regalia, and I am sure you will eventually find a job that suits you well. If you are ever interested in house guard work, Sakara, do find me."

The addon in question allowed some input to "customize" what is pinged and highlighted, allowing players to put titles in it, nicknames of character, etc. Was also an option to highlight for any single string in the character's name - EG, for the nick "Sakara Mansurah Ramoran" highlight when someone writes Sakara, Mansurah or Ramoran, even al-Ramoran.

Imagine the idea as an extension to "focus" mode.

What is this useful for?

If enabled & used well, a simple scroll through the chat window can reveal every single combat (or in reality, any) emote directed at the player. Players can even make use of directed pinging similar to quoting abilities when they want to ping a player - put [Sakara] at the end of their message.