Archived Art Theft On Massivecraft

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
MonMarty , I would also encourage you to actually read the links you posted to DeviantArt where it actually tells you what I'm saying here. Also there are several different options for CC licenses, and on DA it has to be manually activated to be licensed under a specific CC. Note that even using the normal CC radio-button when publishing still doesn't give completely free sharing rights. You can read more about CC on DA here: http://creative-commons.deviantart.com/journal/Creative-Commons-on-DeviantArt-Explained-224551131

I think a common misconception about Creative Commons is that anything licensed under it is freely shareable in any way, shape or form. This is not true. All of the Creative Commons licenses require you to acknowledge where you've gotten the original material. So even if you may use it as, for example, an avatar, you need to write somewhere where you borrowed it from.

Heres my opinion on this.

I think art theft shouldn't be admired, at least if the person is naming it as their own. The person is plagiarizing, and it is a terrible thing to be caught plagiarizing no matter how small. People upload their content so the world can see, not to have someone take it as their own. It really depends on the person who uploaded it. They should be prepared to deal with the fact that jerks are taking their hard work, and slapping it as their own. In my opinion, i do not care how many people complain about their artwork being stolen. If they didn't want it stolen, don't post it! While I don't like the openness to copying of the internet, its just one of those things you have to build a bridge and get over it.

I understand the premise of the milennium copyright act. The point is that the copyright is just "universal" It doesn't stand well in court if you haven't identified beforehand what version of copyright is applied to the work.

If person A slams a C on their artwork, or nothing at all, and then takes person B to court over posting it elsewhere without their permission, person B's lawyer is just going to say "Yeah okay, and where does it say wether that this is a non distribution licenced work, or a creative common layer 3?". And the judge will be like "lolyeah".

Posting stuff without a specification will not hold up in court. Unless party A can prove they have suffered significant damages over their work being plagiarized, they will not hold up in court. As long as nobody posts leaked versions of the Hobbit III that they stole from the director's house on here or something likewise.

MonMartyThat's like saying everything on The Pirate Bay is CC since you can google torrents

That is a faulty comparison and you know it. The actual copyrighted work doesn't shows up in google images. When you google a torrent, it doesn't actually give you the content, Google does not stream the hypothetical copyright infringing work on their server, the only thing they refer is text that is written by the user submitter, which lel, is CC layer 1. In fact I don't think Piratebay even specifies any licence over the content held within the website, user submitted content or torrent or whatever.

All I know is that under everything I and others post on DA it has this on it http://puu.sh/6teJo.png Ya see that? Thats a copyright symbol. And I never denied being an asshole, I even apologised for being rude and aggressive.
Not to mention you do have a say in everything. Once you say something isn't right it doesn't go through. You are boss man. I'm no victim I'm just stating that you are indeed boss man. And I admit my defeat.
Anyway didn't I Request this thread to be closed because I realised my fight was pointless? As long as you keep replying and insulting me I will defend myself. You posted facts, I replied with defeat. Sorry if I came off as sassy.

I'd just like to mention, (seeing as I nearly view all content of most threads for the last year or so on this forum) MonMarty actually has a overwhelming amount of evidence to support nearly all, if not, all of his arguments he posts.
I think his title or his status on this forum makes no difference to most educated people on this forum who have the opportunity to side with anyone's opinions freely.
In terms of things that go on with the server, yes as a Admin of course he has one of the final says, though that's blinking obvious.

If ya read all mah posts you'd see I already admitted he was right and I was wrong. Infact I have no idea why this thread is still up or why people are fighting me on it. I didn't mean to come off as "sassy" but apparently thats what happened even though I was sincerely saying "Okay Okay you have the final say in the matter, I won't fight ya" but MonMarty continued to provoke me and called me an asshole. Which frankly pissed me off so I defended myself even though I never denied the fact I that I am indeed an asshole, because like I said way above, I am an aggressive person and I apologize for that. But people can't seem to accept when someone gives up so for some reason this thread is still open and receiving nothing but negativity. Which I don't understand at all seeing as like you said, the admin has the final say and he has had nothing good to say about this and directly insulted the writer of the post continuously (Not saying that I didn't deserve it), so the final decision has obviously been made. (Sorry if this entire reply sounds rude or hateful too. It seems anything I write on here comes off as offensive or hateful or rude unless I'm kissing someones butt in the process)

If ya read all mah posts you'd see I already admitted he was right and I was wrong. Infact I have no idea why this thread is still up or why people are fighting me on it. I didn't mean to come off as "sassy" but apparently thats what happened even though I was sincerely saying "Okay Okay you have the final say in the matter, I won't fight ya" but MonMarty continued to provoke me and called me an asshole. Which frankly pissed me off so I defended myself even though I never denied the fact I that I am indeed an asshole, because like I said way above, I am an aggressive person and I apologize for that. But people can't seem to accept when someone gives up so for some reason this thread is still open and receiving nothing but negativity. Which I don't understand at all seeing as like you said, the admin has the final say and he has had nothing good to say about this and directly insulted the writer of the post continuously (Not saying that I didn't deserve it), so the final decision has obviously been made. (Sorry if this entire reply sounds rude or hateful too. It seems anything I write on here comes off as offensive or hateful or rude unless I'm kissing someones butt in the process)

Just stop posting, and I'm certain that the thread will die out eventually, raging like this will only provoke others even more.

Thats... not me raging. (Seeee? I was right everyone finds the things I say offensive or agressive) djfsjkdhskjgh Okay then, this will be my last post. Buhbye thread getting nothing but flame but not being removed.
I don't find it aggresive, and maybe my choice of words was incorrect, but I just find it pointless to say the same thing over and over again.

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

the nature of the copyrighted work; the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Section 107 of the Copyright Act

Had that from a old legal class.

Well seeing as I'm trying to stay neutral here. I believe that you weren't aiming to come across rude or anything, but in the future be mindful of "how" you say things, because the internet can be a nasty system where intents can be misinterpreted - This isn't the only post MonMarty has mistaken the intent, as most of us would of as well.
Though, don't say "you weren't trying to be rude, or fight anyone" and then directly attack someone for "insulting you" if you're trying to keep the peace, not a good combination ;)
Yes, MonMarty probably shouldn't of directly labelled you, but live by the old clique saying "Two wrongs, don't make a right".

Essentially, and the thread was deleted before I was able to read it, but someone please tell me if I am wrong:

It seems this thread is about theft in art...(Great job Sherlock Brunching!) But...I mean you have to understand something. Nothing, and I mean nothing is private on the internet. Once you put it on a website, its out there. And honestly, theres nothing you can do about it. The only thing you can do is to decide "Oh, do I want to post something I worked on (like a photo) online where there is a big chance someone can take it?" That is what it all comes down to.

Since op butchered his own thread I think it may be time for a lock gridiron1024@Imboring56

I understand the premise of the milennium copyright act. The point is that the copyright is just "universal" It doesn't stand well in court if you haven't identified beforehand what version of copyright is applied to the work.

If person A slams a C on their artwork, or nothing at all, and then takes person B to court over posting it elsewhere without their permission, person B's lawyer is just going to say "Yeah okay, and where does it say wether that this is a non distribution licenced work, or a creative common layer 3?". And the judge will be like "lolyeah".

Posting stuff without a specification will not hold up in court. Unless party A can prove they have suffered significant damages over their work being plagiarized, they will not hold up in court. As long as nobody posts leaked versions of the Hobbit III that they stole from the director's house on here or something likewise.

That is a faulty comparison and you know it. The actual copyrighted work doesn't shows up in google images. When you google a torrent, it doesn't actually give you the content, Google does not stream the hypothetical copyright infringing work on their server, the only thing they refer is text that is written by the user submitter, which lel, is CC layer 1. In fact I don't think Piratebay even specifies any licence over the content held within the website, user submitted content or torrent or whatever.

I'm actually very confused at what you're trying to say. Why is linking to one sort of content different from linking to another sort of content? Because that's what google does, link to content. It doesn't save the content on their servers, whether it be torrents or images.

Take for example a personal blog where the owner posts an image of his dog. Googles spiders will find that image and you will be able to search for it on the image search. No matter if that owner has specified anything for that image. He does however have copyright of the image if he took it himself. But since Google only links to that image, they can't be held responsible for any copying. Now, for anyone following The Pirate Bay's trials a few years back, this was actually what they were convicted of, linking to illegal content. TPB never stored anything on their own servers, they are merely a search engine, such as Google, but specifically for torrents. It's a very interesting case, because it basically means Google has been determined to be illegal in Sweden. Not that that would stick in court, but it's still fascinating.

As for your lawyer example, it does NOT have to say that something is non-distribution, it's the other way around. Kind of like innocent until proven guilty. Anything and everything that someone has created is non-distribution unless stated otherwise. Creative Commons is a license that you can put on your own work if you accept that your work can be remixed, reused or whatever. Person A does NOT have to put a C on the image. The copyright is there automagically the moment you create the piece.

Whether or not something will stick in court is determined if Person A can prove that he is the original creator or not. And unless Person B can show that Person A has in fact put a CC license on it that makes Person B's usage valid, Person B can very well be held responsible for paying any damages caused by borrowing the piece. It's very unlikely however that something like that would be settled in court unless, for example, Person B has profited from Person A's work, or it is deemed that Person A has lost profit because of the borrowing, such as the lawyers of hollywood producers try to tell you pirates cost them money even if the pirates doesn't make any money themselves.

I'm also not sure what you mean by saying that you have to specify a copyright version, could you clarify what you mean by version(s)?

I'd say though, that even if the original owner of some art wanted you to remove it from the server, the worst you'd get is a slap on the wrist and be told to remove it. I think this we are in agreement on?

Let it be known that I'm a member of the swedish Pirate Party. I'm all for free culture, creative commons and sharing of ideas, but for the sake of getting the facts straight, you'd do best in learning a lot more about how copyright and creative commons licenses work before you borrow someones work in belief that you're free to do as you wish with it just because you could find it via Google.

I'm having this discussion only to make sure that you know the facts, not to slap your fingers for doing something illegal or letting something illegal go on. I could care less about that. You can take this information as you please, whether or not you have your believes of your own version of how the system works. As said, I'm all for free culture and I am not a poster boy for playing by the rules myself. But at least I know what rules and laws I'm breaking if I do break them.

I'll leave you with a helpful tip though, when you use Google Image search, go to Search Tools and under the Usage Rights-option you can filter your search results based on different usage rights. Just the mere fact that the original turned on option is that it doesn't filter out anything based on a usage license should tell you that not everything on Google image search is up for grabs. But using that option should also help you find images that you can re-use with less worry. I would however still recommend that you look at the page the image comes from and look at the terms yourself. There could be things that google hasn't picked up on, it is after all just an automated system.

TLDR;
Helpful link for finding reusable images with Google image search: http://google.about.com/od/searchingtheweb/ss/find_public_domain_images.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.